Natural ways of dealing with hormones in relation to birth control pills

by Lori and Michelle on August 29, 2009

Hello everyone

Hormones can be a pain for most women which is why there are so many “hormone” treatments out there. Most women suffer from a variety of symptoms like migraines, cramps, swelling, bloating, fever, nausea, and vomiting. Most women take birth control to regulate their hormones and manage these symptoms this is why we did.

Both of us have recently stopped taking birth control to regulate our hormones. We have recently noticed our body struggles to get back into balance.  Everyone has there own reasons to get on birth control and to get off of it. Well we took BC to help with our hormone imbalances, lighter periods, cramps, and PMS.

Michelle got to the point when she did not want to put “foreign” chemicals into her body. She decided to stop taking it and was off of the pill for 6 months. She experienced some side effects from getting off the pill such as breakouts, irregular periods (which actually she never got it for 6 months). She than felt she must need the pill to help regulate her periods therefore she started to take the pill again. But to only find out your body can take up to 1-2 years to adjust from not being on the pill. She just did not give her body enough time, she starting taking the pill again for 2 months and then finally said NO! Though this time around her body’s side effects are not as bad.

I just recently stopped taking the pill and I am experiencing similar side effects as Michelle did her first time off the pill. My face has broken out in acne with majority of the break outs located around the mouth and chin! We have been told that this means hormones due to the location of the acne.

It is very frustrating to both of us because we thought with eating RAW foods that are full of enzymes and nutrients that our bodies need to heal we would heal quicker, but we are realizing everybody is DIFFERENT! We are trying to enjoy this journey of healing, although there are times it gets very hard to put up with the side effects.

Twins natural hormone balance regimen:

We take Maca. Maca is a  hearty plant root cultivated high in the Andes of Peru. This ancient nutritional source and efficacious endocrine system remedy is being dispensed by health professionals as a safe and natural substitute for drugs. It a replacement for hormone replacement therapy! Maca contains over 55 naturally occurring, beneficial phyto-chemicals. These naturally occurring chemicals include important hormonal precursors and sterols proven time and time again to assist the human body in a number of recognizable ways.

We love our MACA

We love our MACA

The scientist responsible for much of the current knowledge of the maca root is Dr.Gloria Chacon de Popivici, a biologist trained at the University of San Marcos, in Lima, Peru. Dr.Chacon says that maca root works in a fundamentally different way than HRT, supporting optimal functioning of the hypothalamus and the pituitary, thereby improving the functioning of all the endocrine glands.

Maca is a safe, natural alternative to hormone replacement therapy. It is important to remember that maca does not itself contain any hormones, but its action on the body jogs the pituitary into producing the precursor hormones which ultimately end up raising estrogen, progesterone and testosterone levels, as well as helping to balance the adrenal glands, the thyroid and the pancreas. But this occurs naturally, not with time-bomb drugs which throw the entire body into a dangerous state of confusion. It seems to help the endocrine system to stay in balance.

Maca adapts to the body’s needs and supports menopausal health. IT works through the hypothalamus and pituitary to bring about healthy, balanced hormone levels in the body. Many women who start taking maca notice improvements within several days to several weeks. It is best to take maca consistently. Maca allows a woman to produce her own hormones and enhances your body’s production of progesterone and estrogen.

In addition, we are taking a natural hormone balancer called Vitex. Vitex is also known as agnus castus, chaste tree, and monk’s pepper.

Vitex Agnus-Castus

Vitex Agnus-Castus

Vitex does not actually contain hormones. It appears to increase progesterone by stimulating the release of a hormone called luteinizing hormone from the pituitary gland. Vitex is also thought to normalize excessive prolactin levels and promote fertility.

• Female infertility
  • PMS, especially breast tenderness, cramping, and headaches
  • Acne, especially if it is related to the menstrual cycle
  • Fibrocystic breast disease
  • Heavy menstruation
  • Menopausal symptoms

Some other natural ways of helping with hormones production and regulation are:

• Milk thistle
  • Magnesium
  • Zinc
  • B vitamins
  • Royal jelly
  • Vitamin A
  • Flax oil or evening primrose oil
  • And of course exercise and the foods you eat will affect your hormones

If you struggling with hormone balances or are thinking about getting off the pill, I hope you have found there are natural ways of healing! Sometimes the quickest and easiest way is not always the best way. Therefore enjoy the journey of taking a more natural approach to healing and regulating the body’s hormones.

The Raw Twins

L&M

Elizabeth August 30, 2009 at 12:50 pm

OH MY GOD. I FEEL LIKE WE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE! I just stopped taking the pill,which i was on for the same reasons, because i didn’t like putting those chemicals in my body. and am breaking out on my chin. and I heard from “THrive” by brazier about Maca and just ordered it from AMAZON. wow. i love the blogworld. how much maca are you taking?i am going to start by taking 1 tsp a day i think.
wow. that’s all i can say.

Pure2 August 30, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Elizabeth

Yes maca is a must! We each take about 1-2 tsp a day. It is funny for us to think that we were still taking the pill when we ventured into wholesome fresh organic foods. You would think we would realize that is was doing no good to our bodies, all those chemicals, but I guess is better late than never : ) Keep us posted…we will take this journey together!

Chasey November 30, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Hi Ladies!I have been reading your blog for a few months now.I started on the journey of raw vegan foods this past spring.(I lost 20lbs in three months).My two young daughter’s (9yrs & 4yrs)and I are about 90%raw right now.(I still have to cook meat/veggies for my hubby,but he tries everything I make.Made him a raw cheezecake for his birthday!).I am 45yrs and have been experiencing major mood swings for about the past year.I seem to be able to “anger” quickly,whereas I used to be quite calm.The only way I know I am getting my period monthly,is that I seem to get emotional (feel like crying) the day before I start.I am interested in what you stated about “maca” and it seems it might be what my body needs right now.I’m wondering if you have any other natural suggestions as well?Thank you so much,keep up the amazing job you are both doing!You are both a major inspiration to me,to stay on the raw lifestyle and know that it is not only the best for MY body,but also for my two young daughter’s as well!(I as well have a special place in my heart for you both,as my eldest daughter had a twin sister,fraternal,who passed away in my 31st wk of pregnancy).
So grateful you are both here,loving each other as sister’s and best friends and helping other’s be as healthy as they can be!All the best to you both,now and always!(((HUGS))).

Pure2 November 30, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Thank you for your support Chasey. We will email you some natural things you can try.

MarathonVal December 26, 2009 at 8:53 am

Hi Michelle and Lori,

Thank you so much for this post – I read it back when you posted it, and searched for it again today since I recently went off the pill myself and the past couple days have had a headache, dizziness, and have cramps + heartburn that have literally made me feel like I’m doing… absolute, excruciating pain for 2.5 straight days. If you have any tips about natural alternatives that would help the cramps, I would be soooo appreciative!

Thanks girls, happy holidays! :)

Allie May 28, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I am currently suffering from acne and it is because of my hormones. A year ago I was diagnosed with a low thyroid and even though I have been on medication since then, I have started to develop acne on my back and chest. My face is much better but as you stated, acne around the chin is caused by hormones. I just bought vitex from my health food store, and have recently quit drinking coffee. I have read caffeine stimulates the adrenal hormone responsible for sebum production. My cycle has started to get out of wack and I am exercising more and eating raw/non refined or processed foods. I am so glad I found this article because it’s nice to know there are other women who are suffering from hormonal imbalance.

But one question – the vitex I purchased is in a raw almost pepper looking form. How do I eat it? Do I crush it into tea?

Pure2 May 28, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Hello Allie, I am not familiar with the vitex in that form. I have only used the pill form before, but you could try it in tea. I am glad you found us and thanks for sharing your journey!!! We will get through this hormone mess ; )

Elisa September 23, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Hi Michele and Lori,
I stumbled upon your blog as I am doing some research on the maca powder. I started taking some just about a week ago for a pretty bad case of hormonal imbalance caused by going off BCP. And I was wondering if you guys take maca everday of the month? or just certain days? like just days 1-14 of the cycle?

thanks!

Jas February 13, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Are you still taking Maca root and did you see any adverse effects?

Lori and Michelle March 25, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Jas we are not taking it anymore.