Making Kombucha and raw sauerkraut

by Lori and Michelle on October 18, 2009

Good evening bloggies,

I must say we have been a little bit more productive today than yesterday. :) Managed to clean majority of the house, do business paperwork, workout( yoga and jump training), make some rounds of raw onion breads, and made a delicious dinner.

But first we wanted to share with you how to make your own kombucha tea. As we mentioned before that we ordered a kombucha tea starter.  This past Friday we finally got around to making it.

How to make Kombucha Tea:

First need a scoby also known as the Mother which you can get here. You need this to get the “bacteria” started. Remember this is GOOD bacteria!

Next you need to make some tea but any type of tea needs to be plain green tea, white tea, and black tea. Make sure there are no “flavors” or essential oils in the tea (all these can kill the fermentation process). *Also add sugar. We made a half gallon so we added 1/2 cup sugar.

We used green tea.

We used green tea.

Let the tea sip for a few minutes. Take tea out of water and let water come to room temperature. Next place The Mother into the tea water.

CIMG6131

Let the whiter side face up in water.

CIMG6134

CIMG6149

Cover with a cheese cloth and place a rubber band to hold it in place. You use a cheese cloth because you want air to breathe. Place your kombucha water in a place away from sunlight. You leave there letting it ferment for at least 5- 7 days.

CIMG6151

And that is it! Our kombucha tea will be ready later this week. Till there we will show you want it looks like when all done.

Waiting is the hard part!

Now onto raw sauerkraut.

How to make raw sauerkraut:

First you need a head of cabbage and a big bowl. And some salt.

oct pure2raw pics 092

Rip your cabbage leaves off and than cut the leaves into thin stripes.  Place in a large bowl and massage and squeeze it and it will eventually get soft, water will come out, and it will wilt down.

oct pure2raw pics 002

oct pure2raw pics 004

Once wilted down, fill another smaller bowl with water and place on top. This will allow the water to continue to come out as it ferments. Cover the bowl and set out at room temperature (if in a warm area may need to place in fridge) for about 2-4 weeks.

oct pure2raw pics 017

IMG_0751

When ready remove the glass bowl.

IMG_0754Then enjoy your raw sauerkraut…

IMG_0758

IMG_0757Benefits of raw sauerkraut (plus most fermented foods):

• Re-establish inner ecosystem
  • Friendly bacteria (probiotics)

When you start to included raw vegetables into your diet, your digestive tract and spleen may be too weak to handle them. Cultured vegetables eliminate this concern because they are already pre-digested. So before they enter your mouth, the good bacteria have already converted the natural sugars and starches in the vegetables into lactic acid, a job your own saliva and digestive enzymes would do anyway. Also, the enzymes in the cultured vegetables help digest other foods eaten with them.

• Homemade cultured vegetables are ideal for appetite control and thus weight control.
  • Raw cultured vegetables are alkaline and very cleansing.

They help restore balance an acidic body, therefore help with toxins.They trigger cleansing, so at first you may experience increase intestinal gas because the vegetables stir up waste and toxins in the intestinal tract. Although you will notice an improvement in your stools. To help with gas pain, colonics and enemas are very useful during this period…hum, interesting : )

Interesting fact: Raw cultured vegetables have been around for thousands of years, and today’s world we have never needed them more. Fermented foods are rich in lactobacilli and enzymes, are alkaline-forming, and full of vitamins. Making them an ideal food that can and should be consumed with every meal.

We had a plate of raw sauerkraut as an appetizer. We sprinkled our “warming” spice blend on top.

IMG_0763

We finally got a salad (we were so suppose have last night, but I guess we needed sleep instead)

IMG_0771

And we enjoyed some wine tonight….yes trying to do work at the same time.

IMG_0778

Night.

Lori and Michelle

Emily October 18, 2009 at 9:47 pm

i thought you need to add sugar to make kombucha?

Pure2 October 19, 2009 at 5:51 am

oops thanks, I went back and added it, thanks for the reminder : )

Maggie October 18, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Ooo I love sauerkraut. It’s so good for you too.

I have never tried kombucha, but it intrigues me. And I would definitely be interested in trying to make it myself since it’s so expensive!

Kristen @ Simply Savor October 19, 2009 at 7:44 am

yumm i looove sauerkraut, can’t wait to try this out!! thanks for the recipe! i still haven’t tried the kombucha drinks but am interested to see what they taste like. have a great day! :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie October 19, 2009 at 9:09 am

Wow, you are so awesome for making all these things from scratch! I am lazy and buy kombucha, but it’s so expensive. I’m bookmarking this post!

mandy October 19, 2009 at 10:57 am

AMAZING BLOG! I am so happy I found it, I am staring at a Synergy Kombucha right now that I paid $3.99 for. I am seriously addicted to them and have to drive a good 10 miles to pay that much for one. I have to buckle down and order a mother mushroom to make my own. I am just scared that I would make myself sick. You guys make it look easy…
I also love the detailed cleanse journal and love that you are taking it easy on yourselves. I get so wrapped up and angry if I slip, and am trying to get better about this. Anything is better than nothing!
Namaste,
mandy

Pure2 October 19, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Thank you Mandy! We love Synergy too but it is getting a little pricey. I was scared at first to make my own kombucha, but you just have to do it!

Stephanie October 19, 2009 at 11:46 am

My Polish self is so proud! I adore sauerkraut, however have never had the raw version. Love all the facts to go with this too ya’ll, I am learning so much from you two.

elizabeth October 20, 2009 at 10:06 am

i love love love raw sauerkrat!!! kombucha, not so much yet:)

Pure2 October 20, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Elizabeth, I was the same way about kombucha, but over time you learn to love it. I cannot get enough.

jim November 16, 2009 at 7:15 pm

awesome site ladies. just wondering about that asterisk @ add sugar to the kombucha. i cannot eat ANY sugar. i assume the sugar goes away during the fermantation but won’t chance it without more info. i appreciate your input.

thanks,
jim

Pure2 November 16, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Yes the longer the you ferment the less sugar. But you need the sugar in order to get the good bacteria. As it ferments the sugar goes away and it becomes sour. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Maggie November 19, 2009 at 7:18 am

Yayy thanks for letting me know about this recipe!!

Pure2 November 19, 2009 at 7:43 am

Your welcome Maggie. Let us know if you have any questions.

nicole December 16, 2009 at 12:03 am

Hello–
Question about the homemade kombucha. I love kombucha, and like you i’m starting to feel the cost. My medical student “living expense” loans (oh yes…those exist…) just won’t cover it haha!
However, this process concerns me. Such a set up is a great environment several different forms of molds and fungi to set up shop, and cause fatal illnesses. Notably, depending on the region of the brewer’s home, Aspergillus (an immediately fatal mold that forms branching arrays in your lungs) sporulation and growth is easily imaginable.
Because I imagine the pH drop during the fermentation process is fairly rapid and extreme, the growth of bacteria and many other invasive species seems unlikely, but the potential for Aspergillus is real.
My question, finally, is: how are you suggesting this be prevented? My med school-induced hypochondriasis tells me not to try this, however Synergy is pricey…

Thanks!
Nicole

Pure2 December 16, 2009 at 7:04 am

Anyone (including companies) or anything being fermented has a chance to get mold whether that be kombucha or sprouts, etc. We just try to watch the environment we are growing it in. Make sure the room is not TOO hold and not TOO cold and just keep an eye on the kombucha. And make sure you area is clean when you are making it! Clean practices are key! I hope this helps… more information you can get here http://kombuchafuel.blogspot.com/

Thanks Twins

nicole December 17, 2009 at 9:38 am

Thanks — Makes sense, just have become +/- paranoid from too much knowledge haha

Great site!

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) February 19, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Oh my gosh, 2 to 4 weeks to make sauerkraut?!? Ugh, I’m so impatient. I want it now! ;)