We all scream for Ice Cream

by Lori and Michelle on November 12, 2009

Theme week: Raw Desserts

Hello everyone,

As promised from via Tweeter request and me wanting to re-create my first attempt of making raw ice cream. Michelle and I got together yesterday and studied our recipes and decided to give making a no nut raw ice cream a try.

I have made an raw ice cream before though it had cashews in it. So since it looks like we have been having a theme of no nuts we decided to continue that theme.

And time to reveal the two flavors we created: Pomegranate and Chocolate chip cookie dough!!! :)   Our friend Heather is having a great giveaway, and the criteria was to create something using pomegranate and one of Katie’s recipes. Well you all saw our creation of us following one of Katie’s fudge balls ideas earlier this week. We had some leftover of our chocolate covered chocolate chip balls so we decided to create two different flavors using these two ingredients!

Are you ready for the recipes……

Pure2Raw Recipe: Raw No Nut Ice Cream

Ingredients:

• 2 medium bananas
  • 1/3 cup lucuma powder
  • 3 tbsp coconut butter
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 1 packet stevia (add more sweetness to taste)

Directions:

Place bananas, lucuma powder, water, vanilla, and stevia into blender and blend till creamy.

nov pure2raw pics 188

Next add in your coconut butter and coconut oil.

nov pure2raw pics 190 nov pure2raw pics 192

And blend till smooth and well incorporated. It takes a few minutes!

nov pure2raw pics 193

Time to flavor

We first did pomegranates.

Add 4 tbsp of fresh pomegranates to blender (or till your liking of flavor)

nov pure2raw pics 195

Again blend till creamy!

nov pure2raw pics 205

Next up … chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream

Follow the same ice cream recipe above. Though to flavor it you will add in some cookies… we added our leftover chocolate covered chocolate chip cookies to ours! Cut each cookie ball into little pieces. Size doesn’t matter you may cut as small or as large cookie chucks as you would like in your ice cream.

nov pure2raw pics 209

Next stir in the cookie chucks

nov pure2raw pics 214

nov pure2raw pics 217

OMG…. food orgasmic !!! :)

Now for the hardest part… waiting.

Set your ice cream mixtures into the freezer and WAIT!!! If you can ;)

We let ours set for about 5-6 hours.  Felt like a little kid again waiting for the ice cream truck to come!

TIME TO EAT DEVOUR ICE CREAM!!! :)

Pomegranate Ice Cream Anyone???

nov pure2raw pics 224

Seconds???

nov pure2raw pics 225

Thirds???? Who wants cookie dough???

nov pure2raw pics 241

More please….

nov pure2raw pics 242

Delicious!! Mouth-watering!!

I never thought I would ever make my own ice cream… yet here I am doing it. And the great thing it was fun and easy.

Reasons why we love this recipe:

• contains no dairy or animal product
  • good for me
  • easy to do
  • low in sugar
  • contains the ‘good fat’
  • taste great
  • no special equipment except a blender
  • And best of all NO UPSET TUMMY!!! :)

Michelle and I hope you enjoyed our raw ice cream lesson. We have seen a ton out there in the blog world, here are just a few… Gena’s soft served, raw food nation’s strawberry ice cream, and Melissa’s almond banana oh the list could go on…. so many great recipes and flavors out there!!!  So exciting to see all the ice cream love!!!

We would love to hear your ideas and/or recipes!  We have already started coming up with some new ideas to create more versions of ice cream… more to come soon we promise ;) Gosh the ideas keep rolling…

Thanks for stopping by…

And we would like to say Happy 25th Birthday to our dear friend Gina! Happy Birthday girl! Eat some cake on us!!!

The Twins

L&M

Stephanie November 12, 2009 at 10:29 am

Pomegranate icecream, coolest thing ever! I am a certified ice cream addict – however haven’t had any non-dairy versions before unless you count Gena’s banana “soft serve” – but these look really good!

Pure2 November 12, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Yes Gena’s banana soft serve counts!! Since it is pomegranate month we thought it would be appropriate.

Chocolate-Covered Katie November 12, 2009 at 10:53 am

Um, fourths, fifths, sixths?!?!

Pure2 November 12, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Seriously Katie..wish we could ship you some : )

Yoda November 12, 2009 at 11:04 am

Wow! How do you come up with this stuff? It looks so incredible!! I’ve got to do this some time!

What brand of stevia doy you use –just wondering. I mentioned before I use SweetLeaf Sweetener stevia.

Lori November 12, 2009 at 12:09 pm

I can’t believe how amazing all of your recipes look and now this! My weakness is ice cream and I won’t touch the dairy one anymore but this is fantastic! No nuts either! Yikes, I have to make this tonight!!! Thank you so much for posting the recipe! I’ll let you both know how it turns out!

Pure2 November 12, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Thanks Girl! Yes Lori please let us know how you like it ; )

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) November 12, 2009 at 12:51 pm

OH MY GOSH. If this isn’t worth the drive to North Carolina, I don’t know what is. AMAZING. Is there anything I can sub for the lucuma?

Pure2 November 12, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Heather, yes there are a few things you can try substituting the lucuma for…. I would suggest trying rice protein powder, hemp protein powder or trying adding some cashews. Or anything that is real fine powder form – maybe coconut flour?? Or coconut meat! I will post more about substitutions this week.

Abby's Vegan Eats November 12, 2009 at 1:04 pm

This ice cream looks fabulous!! Thanks for the recipe! I love your blog btw :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 12, 2009 at 4:06 pm

I just recently posted my own take on banana softserve in the vitamix…I love nutless ice cream! And for me, I dont adore coconut *meat. Water yes, cream yes, meat skeeves me. So that’s why just nannas are great! I use stevia and white sugar but I know you girls wouldnt do that but the sugar gives a nice fluff, even just like 1/8 to 1/4 c. Lucama is obv healthier :) And I add bourbon vanilla. I called it Bourbon Vanilla softserve, dang tastey!

The raw cookie dough balls TAKE The cake though. Wow I need to make those this weekend for sure!!!!!!!!!!

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl November 12, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Oh my goodness!! YUM!!!

I have your raw chocolate chip cookie bites bookmarked and I’m going to make ‘em soon, so I KNOW I have to make this ice cream when I do.

Can’t wait to try it!!!!

*smiles*
Michele

Ingrid November 12, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Let’s see kiwi sorbet, banana/apple, cantaloupe, blueberry/lemon, raspberry, just to name a few…the sky is the limit with this delicious theme.

Fayinagirl November 13, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Oh my goodness that looks fantastic! My son’s birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks. I want to try to make ice cream for him! =)

Pure2 November 13, 2009 at 6:26 pm

I think he will love the ice cream…there are so many different flavors you can do : ) Enjoy!

pureglow*16 June 26, 2011 at 5:34 am

WOW!!! This looks amazing!!!
Do you just eat the ice cream after letting it freeze?

michelle July 18, 2011 at 12:40 pm

It looks soooo delicious! What can i sub the coconutbutter for?? Don’t have that here iss denmark.. Just homemade butter from dessicated coconut flakes??

Pure2 July 18, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Michelle you can try that – you just need something that gets a little hard when cold and give ice cream butter… cashews might be another great idea!

Brooke April 21, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Wowsers!! I just bought my first bag of lucuma and mesquite today. Cannot wait to try this out!!!! Ridiculously excited!!!!