My Holiday re-cap

by Lori and Michelle on December 27, 2009

Hello Friends,

How is everyone? I hope you all are well, sorry that I have been out of touch during this holiday season. Luckily Michelle was still keeping in touch with you all ;)

My holiday season with Gary and his family was great. Very relaxing over in the mountains of the Carolina’s. I did not do a great job with taking pictures of my eats because they were not anything too special… sorry!

But yesterday before I left the mountains to head back to Raleigh Gary and I stopped in Asheville to eat lunch and walk around. I have been to Asheville a few times but never really went to the downtown area. Both of us were actually surprised how much we liked the area.

After walking around for a little bit we decided it was time to eat! And guess where we ate????

2009 franklin christmas 087

Yep the laughing seed cafe! The vegetarian place to eat in the area. I have heard a lot about it and was SOOOOO excited to finally try it. Though not entirely vegan the menu did offer many vegan options as well as gluten free!!! The only main down side to the menu is that there was only one raw dish :(

2009 franklin christmas 059

The restaurant was very cute and welcoming on the inside. It was a tad too cold to sit outside ;)

I was really impressed by the menu they offered a wide variety of dishes. Everything sounded good to me but I had to try the raw salad plate. I also got a Pinot Grigio to go with my lunch and Gary got his favorite type of beer a porter. Also, I ordered a side of their sauerkraut which the waitress informed me that it was RAW too!!! :) Happy Lori!!!

2009 franklin christmas 065Gary enjoying his beer

2009 franklin christmas 067

Gary ordered their Portobello Wrap with a side salad!

2009 franklin christmas 073

He really enjoyed it :)

My lunch was the Dragon Plate – a plate full of raw and enzymatic food. YUM!

2009 franklin christmas 075

2009 franklin christmas 078

Salad all mixed around

2009 franklin christmas 086

Plus my sauerkraut

2009 franklin christmas 084

Everything was absolutely delicious!!! My taste buds were so happy :) My salad plate was full of different flavors and textures…amazing. Sauerkraut was pretty good as well though I must admit my homemade sauerkraut is better ;)

After a very satisfying lunch we walked around downtown a little bit more and than stopped in a cute local coffee shop to grab a cup of joe before it was time for me to hit the road.

2009 franklin christmas 094I just got a simple black coffee.

Gary got a double shot macchiato. The cup was so small. Isn’t so CUTE!

2009 franklin christmas 098

After the little cup of joe (which totally hit the spot) it was time to say goodbye to my holiday vacation and to Gary to go back to reality workGary is leaving tomorrow for Paris, he is studying abroad there for his last term of MBA school.

But now I am back and time to get back in the groove of things. Vacation was nice and just want I needed to end the 2009 year! Big plans and decisions to make here in 2010!!!!

And if you missed the first time around we did a guest post on Averie blog the other day. If you did not see it please check it out we share this

gluten free vegan ‘healthy” mac-n-cheese recipe

Now that I am back in reality I have been slowly catching up with you all and with the sis. Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

The Twins

L&M

Lauren December 27, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Glad you had such a nice time! That Dragon Plate looks delicious and so does the pink kraut! :) Have a happy, healthy, New Year! :)

Pure2 December 27, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Thanks Lauren….happy healthy New Year to you too : )

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 27, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Hi Girls, glad your holiday was great! Thanks for the link back to the Guestie you two did for me, and thanks again!!!!!!!!!

As for the restaurant, I’ve heard great things about Asheville being really progressive (is that where you were, im assuming so when you say mountains?) but anyway, great little cafe find. And great shots of your man…I love seeing everyone’s life in addition to their food :)

Pure2 December 27, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Averie, thanks for your lovely comment. It is nice seeing everyone’s life outside of food sometimes isn’t. :)

Abby's Vegan Eats December 27, 2009 at 6:32 pm

OOH the Laughing Seed.. we are heading to Asheville in the spring and already have plans to eat there.. sounds awesome!!! Your food looks fabulous. Glad you girls had a great holiday :)

Pure2 December 27, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Abby, that is awesome! You will love the Asheville area and the restaurant. Cant wait to see your thoughts on it! Thanks. :)

elizabeth December 27, 2009 at 6:50 pm

awh the laughing seed! how adorable! and it looks so good!
glad you two had a nice christmas break!

Stephanie December 27, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Glad you had such a nice trip! The lunch at Laughing Seed looks fabulous :) I totally thought of you girls during Christmas Eve dinner when we ate our sauerkraut and noodle dish (not raw though) — it was too funny that was the first thing that came to my mind while cooking it!

Pure2 December 27, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Stephanie, love this comment. Made us laugh! I am so happy to hear that when you think of sauerkraut you think of us! ;) Love it!!!!

Christine December 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Wow, the Laughing Seed looks amazing, what a great trip.

Ashlei December 28, 2009 at 7:57 am

I love the Laughing Seed cafe! They definitely have some amazing food! :)

Lori December 28, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Glad you had a safe and fun Christmas, even if the food wasn’t picture-worthy. ;-) The food from Laughing Seeds looks good though!
And I hope you get to go visit your boyfriend in Paris while he’s there! That would be a great adventure to blog about!

Thank you so much for your raw bakery goodies! OMG they were AMAZING! I looooooooooooved them and am enjoying the little bit I have left! Yum!!

Cindy December 28, 2009 at 3:57 pm

love seeing what you enjoyed at the restaurant! and your mac n cheese looks yummy!

Michal December 28, 2009 at 7:49 pm

mmm I wish I could have a Dragon plate! If sounds like you had a great christmas :)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) December 29, 2009 at 10:34 am

If I ever find myself in Asheville I will most definitely go there!! All that food looks amazing. Maybe I’ll drive out there just to eat at the Laughing Seed haha