How we make fermented veggies

by Lori and Michelle on January 22, 2010

Hey luvs!

Happy Friday!!

Thanks for all the wonderful comments (and welcome to our new readers!!) in regards to late night eating and getting to bed. We did manage to have our dinner (smoothie) around 7pm last night, k it was more like 7:30, but we did pretty good. Each day we hope to do better. We both felt better getting up this morning, no major tummy aches and slept a little better. Got our new morning workout routine done ; ) So far a great Friday!!

Well as you all know we love our homemade fermented foods from raw sauerkraut, kombucha, raw yogurt, water kefir, and coconut kefir, and today we are showing you how we make fermented veggies! Let us know if you would like to see more videos of us making things, just leave us a comment of what you would like see!

Is very easy so no excuse not to give it a try ; )

Now you might see other ways of making fermented veggies, but this is how we do it. We love how simple it is and does not require any fancy equipment (okay besides a food processor for the shredding)

Ingredients:

A mix of your favorite veggies

We did a about 5 pounds of leeks, carrots, beets, radish, butternut squash, chinese cabbage, and green onions.

2-3 tbsp sea salt

Directions:

Shredded the veggies into thin strips, we used a food processor, but you can hand chop, use a mandoline, or cheese grater of course.Then place veggies in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt and start massaging till water steeps out and veggies get smaller and softer. Then place in glass jars, lightly cover (needs air to ferment), leave out at room temperature for 3 days. Then place ready jars into fridge and enjoy!

Why should you eat fermented veggies??

• easy to digest, so great for all of us who have weak digestive systems
  • taste yummy (well some fermented foods did take us awhile to get use too)
  • great way to jazz up any salad
  • easy to travel with, just take your jar (and maybe some tahini stirred in) and go

• been eaten for years to help with many health problems
  • adds friendly bacteria into your diet
  • helps with candida
  • full of enzymes to enhance a healthy life
  • full of fiber and helps with constipation (great thing for us)
  • low in calories while full of nutrition

Did you know over in Europe, China, and many other countries they have some form of fermented foods at EVERY meal!! What don’t we do that here?? Well like our friend Kristen we hope to change that ; )

We hope you give fermented veggies a try. We think you will love them as much as we do and we know this amazing lady enjoys her fermented foods.  Check out her post on Crazy Sexy Life to learn even more about the benefits of eating fermented foods.

Have a great Friday!

The Twins

L&M

Elena January 22, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Ladies, thank you for posting this. I started my Candida cleanse about a week ago and have added pro-biotics and sauerkraut to my diet, but wanted more, especially after seeing your fermented veggies. Now I am going to make some for myself! :)

Pure2 January 22, 2010 at 6:17 pm

We wish you luck with your candida cleanse!!

Lori January 22, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Ooooh I so love those fermented veggies! Yum! Thank you so much for your rendition on how you make and eat them! I WILL be trying that recipe!

Pure2 January 22, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Your welcome Lori!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 22, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I love fermented foods, too! I post every now on coconut milk kefir and recently talked about probiotics…good bacteria are our friends!

Thanks for the awesome info and tutorial about your methods!

Pure2 January 22, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Yes Averie you are the one that inspired us to do coconut kefir!! xoxo

Ashlei January 22, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Great post on fermented veggies :)

Nikki (yummy raw kitchen) January 22, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Wow, I didn’t realize they were so easy to make! I love sauerkraut so I should really try making this. Thanks for the tutorial. I think I’d really like to put them on my salad greens.

Pure2 January 23, 2010 at 11:27 am

Yes Nikki fermented food are easy to make….we hope you enjoy them!

shannonmarie January 23, 2010 at 6:32 am

I need to add more fermented foods to my diet. I’ve just been lazy lately.

Pure2 January 23, 2010 at 11:28 am

Oh Shannonmarie you are never lazy!! Plus you have some more important mommy obligations : ) xoxoxo

Julia January 23, 2010 at 8:51 am

I used to hate fermented anything, until I went to this korean restaurant that served 4 types of kimchee before the meal. WOW, love the stuff!

Pure2 January 23, 2010 at 11:29 am

Ya, Julia we were the same way at first now we cannot get enough of them ; )

julie January 23, 2010 at 9:20 am

Great tutorial! Have a great weekend girls :)

Krissy January 23, 2010 at 9:21 am

Mmmm one of my favourite foods! I haven’t made a batch in a while – your post has inspired me to make a batch this weekend! xoxo Thanks Girlies!

Pure2 January 23, 2010 at 11:27 am

Thanks Krissy and Juile!!

elizabeth January 23, 2010 at 2:46 pm

i love eating and making sauerkraut! until this summer i never realized how easy it was! i’m going to a kim-chi workshop tomorrow which will be really fun!

Pure2 January 23, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Have fun at the workshop Elizabeth, sounds fun : )

Michal January 24, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Thank you so much for posting this the both of you! I have tried fermenting veggies before but they just havent turned out right. I will try it again as soon as i get some more cabbage from the store :) I hope you both enjoyed your weekend!

Elena January 26, 2010 at 11:56 am

Ladies, I made my first batch yesterday. I blogged about and embedded your videos on my blog, with a link back to you. Thanks!

Alex January 26, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Your post inspired me to give this a try because I love sauerkraut and kimchee, but find it easier to buy it (especially because it takes 3+ weeks to ferment!). I’m a little concerned at how mine is looking… It’s been two days and there’s a brown (not-so-friendly looking) layer about an inch thick on the top. What should I do?

Chris February 24, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Wow, I had no idea it was so simple and easy to make fermented veggies. I will definitely be trying this! Thank you so much for posting. :-)

allegraoxborough July 4, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Hey Ladies!
Thanks for all the great info. I’ve linked to these as a reference on my own post about my first try with raw cultured veggies!
Check it out if you’d like!
take care,
Allegra

Kendy August 6, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Hi M & L :-)
Great video/blog.
Like many others it had also inspired me to ferment my own vegies. I hope it works out as it will be my first attempt and i have never eaten fermented foods so don’t really know what to expect. :-/
I am in Australia and it is winter here so i am wondering if i can still ferment when it is not that warm inside?

Pure2 August 7, 2010 at 2:53 am

Kendy – yes we can ferment during the winter, you are just going to have to watch it closely to see how it is doing.

Laura September 8, 2010 at 10:27 am

Luv the video. I am totally inspired to have more fermented foods. I recently started making my own cultured veggies and am loving them. I have started eating them daily and seem to have developed symptoms that I am yeasted. Is it possible to become yeasted from eating too many? Or could these be die off symptoms? Also, some of the other websites/blogs/books that give directions on making fermented foods say that you have to use probiotics or a starter packet. What are your thoughts? Is this really necessary or are they just trying to push a product?

I just made my first batch the way you do in the video and can’t wait to try!!! Thank you =)

Peace & Sunshine
~Laura

Pure2 September 8, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Laura, yay for making your first batch. I do not know for sure if eating too much will cause yeast issues, I would assume it is die off symptoms. I do not think you have to use a probiotic in starting sauerkraut or fermented veggies ( though I do not think it would hurt either), when making fermented drinks or yogurt – yes using them would be needed. Let me know if there is anything else. Good luck!

Laura September 10, 2010 at 9:58 am

Thanx Ladies! I do have another question…. My veggies have been sitting on the counter for 3-4 days to ferment and I have noticed that the veggies on top are a different color than the ones underneath. Is that normal? Should I just discard the top and use the rest? Thanks again =)

Your tutorials are great! It seems like making all these fermented foods/drinks would be very time consuming. Is it? Also, do you consume these foods every day?

Peace & Sunshine
~Laura

Pure2 September 10, 2010 at 10:31 am

Laura, yes it is normal that the top layer turns a different color, yes just scrap it off and the underneath is fine! We used to consume a little of fermented foods and drinks almost at every meal, but lately we have cut back. We always have one glass of kombucha a day, and a few bites of sauerkraut again here lately. I think having a little each day is great, but do not feel you have to have it at every meal! It can be time consuming but we would dedicated one day a week to prepping any fermented items we wanted, you will get in a rhythm and be fine! That are great additions for everyone’s diets in our opinions!! Good luck!

Ashley January 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm

This is awesome! Thanks ladies :)

Crysta October 10, 2011 at 11:05 am

I just made my first batch of fermented veggies. How long do they last in the fridge once they have been fermented for three days?

Lori and Michelle October 10, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Crysta they should last a few weeks, ours we eat up within 2-3 weeks.

lailja April 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm

first time i’ve been here. although i make my kraut a little differently, i want to make a suggestion. i use such a variety of veggies every time i make it, however, one of my standbys is arame seaweed! i first break it up in the blendtec (dry) to make the “wires” smaller….then soak in coconut water. while they are soaking i proceed with the rest of my kraut preparation – adding the soaked arame at the end. enjoy!… and thanks for your website. i’ll keep perusing! :-)

Charlotte November 23, 2012 at 8:28 pm

What a neat web site you girls have. I am an OLD lady and you just taught me somethng new> :-)