Hormones and comfort foods

by Lori and Michelle on February 19, 2010

Happy Friday everyone!

Wow this week flew by. We have been busy here, and if you follow us twitter you would of seen that last night we got interviewed for a feature in a local paper in regards to raw foods in the area. It was very exciting to hear about all the things raw in our area, it is small but at least something. We will let you all know more once we hear more. ; )

Today we are going to update you all on our hormones. As you all know we have shared our issues with hormonal imbalance and birth control before. I know many of you suffer from hormone issues of your own and some of you have asked to give an update of how we are doing.

First, how is Michelle?

Last week I was a mess. My hormones were all over the place…my emotions, my appetite, my sleep patterns, my energy…I was not myself. I was eating more cooked food than normal…more sweets than normal. I started to get really bloated and then on Monday I woke up to realize I got my period!!!! So it explains my behavior and symptoms, but now I forgot what it feels like to have one. Remember it has been a little over a year since I stopped birth control, which is when I stopped getting my period. My skin still has breakouts, but I have seen improvements.  I do not really have much else to say because this is just the first time since I have my period in year, so I will just have to wait and see how each month from now on goes. I will keep you posted. But I do believe my new changes in my diet have helped balance me, but again I am not healed yet, still have a journey.

I will now hand it over to Lori.

I have no idea. I mean really that is how I feel. I am not sure where or how my body/hormones are doing. I have my ups and downs still, no period yet for me. My breakouts are slowing down but are still happening. My overall skin appearance is alright, still have a long journey to go. I am staying optimistic because I know that everything that I am doing with my diet is going to work just have to give it more time. My sleeping has been great lately and my appetite strong. I still crave sweets but not as much as I used too. I have really been wanting my sauerkraut and smoothies :) It seems that I go through stages with my eats (which I am sure many people do) one week all I want is chocolate and than the very next week I do not want any; I want more savory things. I am still trying to figure everything out but taking one day at a time. Really liking all the fermented foods and msm. I have incorporated more into my diet. I feel they are really helping.

Well as you can see we both are still on a journey as each of you too. So we say hang in there and treat your body good with good food, exercise, and relaxation, and give it time!

Yesterday was a nice sunny, but cold day here yet we felt like going for a run. So we layered up and headed outside for a quick 25 minute run. Then followed the run with some Tracy Anderson mat workout. It was a hard intense workout yesterday, both of us were tired by the end. Luved it.

What did we eat afterwards to helps us recover?

Post-workout iron filled smoothie
Post-workout iron filled smoothie

Green smoothie filled with hemp protein, parsley, pumpkin seeds, lemon, yacon, maca and camu camu (high in Vitamin C,which helps absorb iron). Perfect! Very filling!

Check out our comforting dinner last night….semi raw fermented dinner ; )

Millet with sauerkraut, fermented veggies, cilantro, and coconut oil.

IMG_4470

It totally hit the spot last night for both of us. Just needed something warm and comforting. It has a very long time since we have had millet. It was a nice change :)

IMG_4463So good…wanted more ; ) Love millet!! So easy to digest and quick to make.

Now onto something exciting….we finally made raw bread!!! This is a recipe we have practiced over and over and finally think we have it!!!

IMG_4400© Pure2raw Yacon Pumpkin Spice bread

IMG_4403

Now this is not your typically large loaf of bread, but for us this actually tasted like bread. It was moist, good texture, and very satisfying. This bread is not only raw but gluten free, vegan and nut free :)

IMG_4406

Perfect with a nut butter…we chose walnut butter which is a mixed of walnuts and cashews. The amazing people over at Artisana sent us some extra samples of some of their nut butters. You all know we love their coconut oil and butter, so we were excited to try the nut butters. IMG_4405

IMG_4401

It was creamy, rich, and wonderful flavor! It did not have to much of a walnut flavor which we liked. The texture was perfect for spreading onto our slice of bread!

IMG_4410

We are very pleased with our raw bread!

IMG_4409

Very smooth! A great source of your omega’s 3 and 6. We love our GOOD healthy FATS! Another great thing about this company is that their products are made in a facility that does not handle any peanuts, gluten, dairy, or GMO’s! :) Love that and we really enjoyed this walnut butter. The only con about their products is that they do not soak their nuts. But still a great buy in our opinion.

IMG_4412

Well, time to get go do some yoga. Happy Friday to you all!

The Twins

L&M

katie February 19, 2010 at 10:25 am

AMEN to comfort food! walnut butter sounds AWESOME!! i really need to try it-ive seen it everywhere

Pure2 February 19, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Yes Katie you need to try walnut butter…you will love it!

Julie Lynn February 19, 2010 at 10:47 am

We call them “horror-mones” at our house ;-) I feel for you!

The raw bread looks great! We’ve been making our own raw walnut butter lately. Really enjoying it. Just mix raw walnuts and coconut oil in the Vitamix. Voila!

Pure2 February 19, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Haha love the name Julie!! Have not made any nut butters ourselves, yet, yikes. We are lazy I guess, LOL> Thanks for your recipe though!!

La February 19, 2010 at 11:19 am

I just recently went off the Pill because my hormones were psychotic and all over the place and I totally relate – I’m not sure how I’m supposed to be feeling right now but I’ve been up and down and all over the place with my emotions and my eating … Thanks for reminding me to take it one day at a time!

The bread looks WONDERFUL! Yacon+spices??? Mmmmm probably amazing! You two are insanely creative. I love it.

Katie February 19, 2010 at 11:34 am

First off, thank you so much for the comment on my blog! Made my day and Im so glad you found my blog and enjoyed it!!

I must say you both are amazing!!! I have seen your blog name around for sure!! I think i just saw something on Averies blog at Love Veggies and Yoga, she had some yummies she got from you both to sample!! I was drooling!!!

I read your story and it is so inspiring and amazing!!! I think it’s wonderful you girls started your own bakery!!!! You can do anything you want in life if you really want, the sky is the limit!!

How beautiful you both are and your two sisters are!! I had 4 sisters growing up! 5 girls in my house!! I really enjoyed reading your story, and I wish both of you all the best!!!

Ok the pumpkin bread looks amazing!! I know that will be a hit for sure!!! loving it!!

Have a wonderful weekend!!!!!!

Pure2 February 19, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Thank you Katie!! Thanks for the sweet comment. You made our day ; ) Have a great weekend too.

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin February 19, 2010 at 11:51 am

Oh, pumpkin spice bread is my favorite! And it’s nut-free?! That’s amazing!!

Thanks for the updates, too! I have been pleased that my hormones are getting back on track since quitting B.C. but breakouts were a BIG problem for me the first month… they are gradually improving, especially when I cut out sweets and nuts from my diet. (things I love, but oh well) ;)

Pure2 February 19, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Yes Megan we do best with little sweets and nuts, but sometimes they are hard to resist. : )

Lori February 19, 2010 at 12:12 pm

First, I have to mention that it’s weird that you girls wrote about your hormones on this post because that is the topic of mine today. And second, Michelle, you started your period after 1 year?! That is amazing! Congrats! Want to know what is really weird about that… I started mine yesterday (after talking with you, & thank you for the talk!) after 2 whole years! CRAZY.

Anyway, I’m craving sweets ;) and that Yacon Pumpkin Spice Bread (with the walnut butter) looks delicious!!!

Pure2 February 19, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Lori that is weird. We must be on the same wave length or something, LOL> Look forward to your post!

Ian February 19, 2010 at 1:11 pm

That bread sounds and looks incredible. I really, yet again, can’t get over how you don’t overuse nuts. It’s a really refreshing take that is how I believe a high-raw lifestyle should be!

Pure2 February 19, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Thanks Ian. Yes we went for first went raw, we went over board on the nuts, learned the hard way. Now they are just an occasionally treat, not part of our main diet. Most of food we try to make nut-free.

fartygirl February 19, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Same thing happened to me when I went off the pill. I didn’t get the rag for most of a year. Now, it’s starting to come back, but the PMS is hell. I get suicidal. I feel like I’m fifteen again… soul-crushing, pouty, boo-hoo-nobody-likes-me, kinda crap. It sucks.

So far, Chaste tree (Vitex) has been helping a lot. I plan on starting Passionflower and Scullcap before bed too… once I can afford them! Apparently Blue or Black Cohosh is also very good (not as safe as Chaste tree, but many women use it and love it).

I used to hate condoms, but man, this hormonal crap is just not worth it. Wrap it up! Ha! Lots of hope that you lovely ladies get straightened out soon too.

The bread looks lovely. I hope it’s in your shop soon!

fartygirl February 19, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Thanks for the info about the iron too!!! All the ladies in my fam suffer from low iron. It makes my sister throw up! :(

Pure2 February 19, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Having too much iron or little iron?? Iron can be tricky. If it low just make sure you eat iron rich foods with foods high in Vitamin C to help absorb it. We add lemons to everything!

Christine (The Raw Project) February 19, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Thanks for the hormone update, something I’m struggling with as I look to get off the pill. The walnut butter looks great! For a walnut freak like me, my type of comfort food :-)

Lauren February 19, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Congrats on the interview!! So awesome, your treats are so yummy, everyone should know about them! ;)

I had some weird period hormones this week as well! I find Maca powder makes it better though!

Pure2 February 19, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Yes Lauren we have maca everyday. We love it!

Elena February 19, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Michelle, I am so happy for you. I had to wait for over 2 years and still nada… so I had to get on sublingual progesterone. Hate it but have to do it until my body fixes itself.

Lori, I hope your body catches up soon too :)

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) February 19, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Thanks so much for sharing you guys. You both have been so encouraging to me, more than you probably know.

So, I’m jumping on the sauerkraut bandwagon. I really need to start making my own. And millet, love millet. Thanks for reminding me I have some in my cabinet.

I love walnut butter, but I’ve never had the Artisana brand. However, I’ve loved every other product that company makes and so I’m sure I’d love it.

Happy weekend my friends!!!

Lilla February 19, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I know how you feel about the adult acne – I had it bad! When I worked at the Tree of Life, green juice fasts would always clear it up lickity split but then when I reintroduced sugars (even fruit) it would come back.
Last year, around this time, I did another 7 week juice fast and the acne is GONE finally. I just keep my sugar intake low glycemic.
p.s. Your raw bread looks YUM!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 19, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Love the honesty about what’s going on hormonally in your body. Now that M got hers, L will probably get hers b/c when women are in close quarters, they tend to cycle together. I’m sure you’ve heard that before. Anyway though seriously I am happy for you guys that slowly but surely it sounds like you’re making “progress” but that there’s ups and downs along the path. Sigh. I hear ya!

Bree February 20, 2010 at 5:59 am

Hey girls! Thanks for sharing your experience about hormones. It is good to know there are others who experience the same thing. Congrats about the interview! I am an NC girl too, although Wilmmy-wood is not quite as up to date as the tri-city area. I would love to read about what is going on up there because raw food eats are non existent here. My in laws live up there near you and I am going to pop in and meet you at a farmers market event next time I am up there. I look forward to sampling your goodies. I too read your story and it was very inspiring. I hate feeling solo out here away from businesses who produce things in line with my life style. I am glad to know you two are so close. I don’t feel so alone. Thanks for sharing your struggles and for inspiring me with your great looking eats!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 20, 2010 at 6:51 am

Hi, thanks so much for the comment! That pumpkin spice bread looks incredible, especially with walnut butter! I’ve poked around on your blog a bit and I love it, can’t wait to read more!

shannonmarie February 20, 2010 at 6:52 am

Michelle, I’m so happy to hear that things are getting back to normal. Lori, I have high hopes that you’ll be back on track again soon.

My hormones have been out of sorts since having little Hayden. It takes a while for my body to understand that it is no longer pregnant, especially since I am still breastfeeding. I find that maca helps, although I see you are already using it.

Maggie February 20, 2010 at 7:09 am

Ahh wow Michelle that is awesome. I am sure that Lori you will get yours too soon. Awesome awesome :) I am still working on it… Sigh.

Claire (College:Raw) February 20, 2010 at 9:04 am

Hang in there with the hormones; everything has to get better very soon! Your bread looks amazing and especially delicious with the walnut butter. I’ve never had walnut butter, and it’s interesting that it’s a mix of walnuts AND cashews. Maybe I’ll attempt some myself!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 20, 2010 at 10:10 am

I love Artisana coconut butter!! I was so glad to find it at Whole Foods. That walnut butter sounds amazing on that PUMPKIN SPICE BREAD!!! You two rock!

Vicky February 20, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Love all the info,I have learned so much. I’m curious about your spirulina sports drink. I drink coconut water after my longs runs but would love to try the spirulina during the long run as I run low on iron as well. What are the ratios? Thanks for your time.

Jessica @ Going Off Birth Control Pills February 22, 2010 at 7:36 am

Thanks for the hormones updates! I was wondering how things were going :) Shockingly I actually got my period a mere two months after stopping the pill. Good for sure, but let’s see if it’s actually regular after this!

evergreen February 22, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I hope you both continue to see improvements:) All this lovely raw food you are making is sure to help! Your pumpkin spice bread looks especially awesome.

Jasmine October 20, 2010 at 7:39 pm

It sounds like you are doing the Body Ecology Diet! Me too!

I’ve experienced some of the same symptoms as you –>