How to make coconut kefir

by Lori and Michelle on February 24, 2010

Hey everyone,

Glad to see everyone liked our workout puddings and the launch of our t-shirts.

We asked you guys what videos you would like to see and most everyone wanted to see fermented foods.

We have done one video here on fermented veggies.

Today’s video is on coconut kefir. We have made coconut kefir before using water kefir grains and it came out alright, but we realized we wanted to test out milk kefir grains.  We liked it better, but it does still do fine with water kefir grains.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups of coconut milk (or any milk of choice)
  • 2 measuring cups
  • wooden spoon
  • plastic strainer
  • milk kefir grains

We got our kefir grains from Marilyn the Kefir lady.  She sends you the grains as I mentioned in a bag all ready to go. You just have to add your 2 cups of milk. Directions are provided along with some recipes. Marilyn also sells water kefir grains and Kombucha cultures.

Another source to get kefir grains, water kefir grains, and Kombucha cultures is Cultures for Health . This is where we got our water grains and mother Kombucha, which will be some of our next videos!! Cultures for health sell their milk kefir grains dehydrated, so when you receive them you have to rehydrate them before you start making your kefir. Again, directions are provided.

Here is a quick video of how we make our coconut kefir puddings that you see all over our blog.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup coconut kefir
  • 2 tbsp mesquite
  • 1 tbsp lucuma
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • a few drops of stevia (or your preferred sweetness)
Mesquite Cinnamon Coconut Kefir Pudding

Mesquite Cinnamon Coconut Kefir Pudding

We hope you enjoy making coconut kefir as much as we do!

IMG_4615Till next time,

The Twins

L&M

gina (fitnessista) February 24, 2010 at 12:07 pm

oh i loved these videos!!! miss you girls :)
guess i need to get in on the kefir action.. i’ve never had it before, but it looks amazing!

Earth Mother – In The Raw February 24, 2010 at 12:28 pm

LOVED seeing you at work in the kitchen. Look out Rachel Ray!

I get all my kefir grains from Marilyn the Kefir Lady too.

Little Bookworm February 24, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Love both the videos! :D

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 24, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Thanks for the how-to! I’ve been seeing coconut kefir on quite a few blogs and would love to give this a try when I’m back in my big kitchen at home! Happy hump day :)

Krissy February 24, 2010 at 1:08 pm

You girls are TOO cute :) LOVED the video :) I am crossing my fingers that the kefir lady will ship to Canada, I can’t wait to try out coconut kefir!!! xoxo

GirlonRaw February 24, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Michelle you are completely adorable and this couldn’t have come at a better time. I really needed to know more about coconut kefir as you girls are always talking about it. Bring on more videos!!!

Serena February 24, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Thank you for posting this! I’ve heard so much about homemade kefir/ coconut kefir (and it’s not sold anywhere near me so homemade is the only way to go).

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' February 24, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Thanks for the videos, ladies! When I get back from my business trip, I’m going to give coconut kefir a try!

Stephanie February 24, 2010 at 7:08 pm

I didn’t know that it was that easy to make at home, how cool is that?! (love the video too) You know that you girls got me started on the kefir as it is… maybe I’ll be making my very own soon too ;) I always learn so much from you!

MarathonVal February 24, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Great videos! You are a natural in front of the camera! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 25, 2010 at 12:19 am

I make my own too, but it’s countertop and so no boiling. I have not used grains from Marilyn but have heard she rocks. Now i for sure need to check her out :)

Gena February 25, 2010 at 5:00 am

You guys seriously inspire me to make every single thing I’m scared to make: kefir, yogurt, sauerkraut. I love you!

shannonmarie February 25, 2010 at 6:50 am

Looks good. I need some coconuts :-)

Lori February 25, 2010 at 9:42 am

Thank you so much for providing these great videos! And so weird that you posted this yesterday because I went to the store and bought a bunch of coconuts and kefir starter! I want to make some and now I know how!!! :)
My only question, does it matter if I use the milk starter… since I don’t consume dairy…?????

Pure2 February 25, 2010 at 10:40 am

Lori, it does not matter if you use milk starter without using dairy. If you bought the kefir started from the store, you can use it with coconut. From what we understand the packets from the store are only good for one time use, as with grains they keep growing and we can keep reusing them.

hihorosie February 25, 2010 at 10:27 am

Thanks for the tutorials ladies! :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 25, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I love kefir and would so prefer to make my own, so thank you for the tutorial! I’m pretty sure that coconuts are officially one of my favorite foods in the whole world. :)

Leslie February 26, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Awesome! I’m a huge fan of kefir and LOVED the vids! You girls gave me the motivation to give this a go soon. Thanks!:)

LisaCazz March 4, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Hi. I just got my grains from the Kefirlady. Thank you so much for the video and the tip on where to get them! I do have a question for you. Are you in a constant rotation of making kefir or do you ever store them for a bit? I think making using a can per day of coconut milk will produce way too much for my household (and be a bit too expensive as well). Any suggestions?

Pure2 March 5, 2010 at 10:09 am

Lisa, so glad that you got your grains! No you do have to constantly be making coconut kefir, you place just place the grains with some milk in a glass jar and place in fridge till you are ready to start fermenting again. When you place the ‘grains’ into cold environments like a fridge or freezer it puts a stop on the fermentation process. So that way you can stop when you would like and just take out of fridge whenever you are ready to ferment them again in new milk. Also for saving a few extra dollars I would recommend buying the coconut milk in cases from your health food store, they should give you a 10% discount or something, if not ask them to!! :)

claire March 10, 2010 at 10:48 am

Thanks for this info! You mentioned in the video to use the regular coconut milk and not low fat – is there a particular reason why? Also as per your last comment – once you take the grains out of the fridge (if you’ve been giving it a break) can you use the kefir from that batch or would you discard it and start a new one with the grains? Thanks very much!

Pure2 March 10, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Hello Claire, the grains thrive off fat (normally kefir comes from raw dairy or goats milk so full fat there) that is why full fat coconut milk does best. But if you wanted you could experiment with low fat. We have not so I cannot say what would happen. If taking kefir out of fridge, yes I would discard the batch and start fresh. Drain it and then add new milk.

Kefir Grains June 7, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Hi.. Thanks Claire for your posting. It’s just so fun when we making kefir. You motivate me also.

Diet Master June 7, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Kefir is good for our health and also for diet. Thank you for giving me coconut kefir recipes.

Kefir July 4, 2010 at 7:52 pm

i love coconut kefir. I’ve been making them for the last 4 years! It’s been really awesome for my family. I’m sure this post of yours will motivate lots of people all around the world.

This is a great site. You got a new reader Twins :)

Pure2 July 5, 2010 at 5:12 am

Thank you! Yes we love our coconut kefir ; )

Kelly July 8, 2010 at 4:28 pm

This looks so yummy! Will be making this soon!