It’s all about the Kraut

by Lori and Michelle on February 26, 2010

Happy Friday friends!

Where did the month of February go?? Glad to hear everyone loves to eat food.

Anyways today we are sharing some more videos of one of our favorite foods…Sauerkraut!

We have talked about making kraut a few times, here and here.We love our fermented foods.

There are so many ways to eat kraut….and reap the benefits of adding healthy, low calorie, full of healthy bacteria to keep your body’s gut balanced.

Sweet and Savory kraut tart

Kraut Salad

Perfect with tahini

And our latest kraut meal is paired with another favorite

Kelp Kraut Noodles

IMG_4495

All we did was take our sauerkraut blend in blender with some spices and tahini to make an easy and poured over some kelp noodles. And add in some arugula!  Easy and delicious :) We just love pretty much anything with kelp noodles ;)

IMG_4504

Here is how we make sauerkraut (sorry for the blurry video – not sure why it is so blurry, ugh)

And here is part 2 plus our kraut station!

In case you missed our other videos:

Fermented Veggies Video

Coconut Kefir Video

And more to come!! We know you are all so excited ;)

After watching our videos you should go check out Earth Mother and  Sabrina’s giveaway !

Now go buy some cabbage and make yourself a nice, easy and healthy homemade sauerkraut. Please let us know if you make and report back! We love to hear from you!

Take Care. Thanks for joining us again for another Pure2raw lesson!

The Twins

L&M

Little Bookworm February 26, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Love the Pure2raw lesson! :D

Jessica @ Going Off Birth Control Pills February 26, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Love the new videos! :) I have a question. What is the difference between fermented cabbage and sauerkraut? I know the cabbage in sauerkraut ferments longer… is it just a different flavor, is is there more beneficial bacteria in the kraut?

Pure2 February 26, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Jessica, fermented cabbage is the same thing as sauerkraut. When cabbage is fermented by itself it is normally consider kraut, when it is fermented with veggies it is known as fermented veggies or kimchi. All fermented veggies are consider to have beneficial bacteria, they are known as lacto fermentation veggies.

Gena February 26, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Hey guys! So if I used a mason jar, I’d just press so that it was all submerged beneath the brine? And then would I use the mason jar cover, or cheesecloth?

Pure2 February 26, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Gena, yes push the kraut below the brine, you want the brine to stay above the kraut. You can use mason jar lid, just do screw it tightly because pressure will build up. We have never used a cheesecloth, so I am not sure, that might allow to much air in. We have used a towel before over the jars to keep air out. The biggest things is keeping the kraut covered with brine to prevent mold.

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' February 26, 2010 at 2:32 pm

You girls are so inventive with your kraut recipes!

Question: Have you ladies always liked sauerkraut, or is it an acquired taste? I hated it when I was younger, and really haven’t tried it again ever since! I’m not even sure what it’s supposed to taste like anymore! (which is part of my hesitation in making it…)

Pure2 February 26, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Megan, we actually never had it when we were younger. The first time we ever had kraut was raw, which was just a few months ago. So for me I loved it at first because I had nothing to compare it too. Although I guess like most fermented foods/drinks, they can take time getting used too. It has pleasant sour/sweet taste about it that I just love. If you had store bought kraut, it probably was not raw so might have had an unique taste, but raw kraut is so good!

Gena February 26, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Thanks, beauties.

Pure2 February 26, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Your welcome Gena! Good luck with making kraut! You will love it, if you have more questions you know were to find us ; )

Jessica @ Going Off Birth Control Pills February 26, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Great, thanks! I did a fermented red cabbage/radish/carrot mix last week and it is to die for… well, I guess to live for :) Thanks for the motivation to get started with all of this fermented stuff — my body loves it!

katie February 26, 2010 at 4:52 pm

love these videos girl!!! i would LOVE to try this! i just actually need yall to come to my school and cook for me :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 26, 2010 at 6:40 pm

I’m ashamed to say I never even knew sauerkraut was fermented! It’s one of my grandfather’s favorite foods, so it always reminds me of him. Your posts are always so interesting and informative- keep up the great work!

Leslie February 26, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Love the lessons!! Love kraut. Thanks for sharing :)

veganlisa February 26, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Hey lovely ladies,
Thank you for the fantastic videos. I have been using kraut a lot lately as an addition to my salads to help promote good digestion. I have made it once but I tend to buy it at my farmer’s market – it is raw and pungent! I agree it is a bit of an acquired taste but once acquired it can become a craving.

xo

Pure2 February 27, 2010 at 3:38 am

Veganlisa -so glad to hear that you are giving Kraut a try and starting to learn to love it ;) That is awesome that your farmers market sells raw sauerkraut!!!

Serena February 26, 2010 at 10:36 pm

This sounds great! I did basically the same thing today, except I mixed kelp noodles with regular wheat noodles and added a mixture of kimchi and purple mushed fermented veggies on top with a sprinkling of wasabi peas (crunchy, spicy, mmm)

Pure2 February 27, 2010 at 3:37 am

Serena, that sounds lovely! Glad you are enjoying them :)

sioux @ crunchybits.net February 27, 2010 at 12:24 am

We made fermented veggies a couple of weeks ago for the first time. We included red cabbage and beets and my gosh, it’s such a joy to see the jewel-toned jars in the fridge every time open open it! We made them in a gallon jar, and after they’d fermented at room temp for a few days we decanted them into smaller jars. But in my exuberance, I lose lots of the juice, and so the decanted jars barely have enough to cover them veggies. is this a problem? The veggies haven’t smelled “off” at this point, but near the bottom of the first jar, I didn’t have any juice left and tossed the last half cup or so into the compost because it did sort of smell “wrong”. Next time I’m going to figure out a way to push out the air bubbles while it ferments without losing so much of the juice.

I LOVE the veggies as a topping for flax crackers with a little cashew mayo. YUM! Thanks for sharing the directions for this and everything! I’m working my way up to kombucha!

Pure2 February 27, 2010 at 3:36 am

Sioux – if the brine water is not covering up the sauerkraut than you can make up your own brine to cover it! All you have to do is put 1 tsp salt into 1 cup of water let dissolve completely in water and than take that salted water (brine) and cover the sauerkraut till completely emerged. Glad that you are giving them a try! :) Hope this helps!

shannonmarie February 27, 2010 at 6:35 am

Hayden enjoyed the kraut video. I see Lori loves Brian Williams :-)

Katie February 27, 2010 at 11:21 am

Hey Loves!! I need to buy a food processor asap!!!! I really do!!!

Loving the video!!!!

Happy Saturday! xoxo

Earth Mother – In The Raw February 27, 2010 at 5:03 pm

You know I loooooooooves me some raw cultured veggies! Eat ‘em daily.

Thanks for the link love, ladies.

xo!

Lauren February 28, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I looooove kraut!! Thanks for the video, always good to have a tutorial! Especially since I am scared to make it! :) Enjoy your cultured life! HEHE!

Just Audrey February 28, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I love this! This is SO helpful. You make it look really easy and I appreciate that you highlight that one doesn’t need a lot of fancy tools. Yay! Can’t wait to make this. :)

Elena March 1, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Now I’m inspired to go massage some cabbage ;)

bitt March 2, 2010 at 8:58 pm

yay for kraut! I never cared for the cooked kind but got into eating the raw ones and lately have been making my own.
questions:
i have been doing it without massaging for that long. why is is necessary to massage so much?
what exactly is the purpose of the bowl or jar on top? can you just put a lid on it?

thank you!

Pure2 March 3, 2010 at 5:06 am

Bitt, the reason for massaging the kraut that long is to get the juices out. You want it to break down. The purpose of having a bowl on top is to keep the juices on top of the kraut, this is what you want. It allows the kraut to ferment without the growth of mold. You can just put a lid on it, just to not screw on top because it needs room breathe, and might have to watch it to make sure the water stays on top of the kraut. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Amy March 2, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Thanks for this informative video, I’ve just put my first batch on! I’m very excited about digging in to the purple goodness, now I just have to be patient until it’s ready…

Christine (The Raw Project) December 14, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I am a huge ginger fan, something about the crisp taste and zing. I’ll even throw fresh chunks into my smoothies too and love Ani’s ginger almond pate. However, my hubby is not such a fan. :-P

Hmm, not sure I’d like pureed sauerkraut either, I’m so used to the shredded stuff and the texture is adds to salads. I need to try your method for homemade.

Renettra February 21, 2011 at 9:48 pm

When making kraut using the mason jars how do you make sure it doesn’t attract gnats?