My DC trip recap – part 1

by Lori and Michelle on April 19, 2010

Hey friends,

Sorry I have been away, but last week I went to DC for a few days with my parents and my older sis, Jen, and her husband. We had a great time. It was sister’s husband’s first time, so it was fun to do all the touristy stuff.

My mom and I arrived before everyone else, so what did we do when we got in….go eat of course.

DC TRIP April 2010 051

Java Green!!! I could not wait I have heard great things about it and received some recommendations to eat there. I was really excited!!!!

The menu was huge, but I went right for the raw foods ; )

I ordered the Coconut Noodles

DC TRIP April 2010 060

It was a mix of young coconut noodles with seaweed, mushroom, spinach, and red bell peppers

DC TRIP April 2010 058

I loved it!! Ate the whole thing, I just loved how they used coconut meat as noodles!! It was a bit spicy for me, but still wonderful.

My mom ordered the Raw Pizza

DC TRIP April 2010 052

It was there raw bread topped with raw cheese, sun-dried tomato sauce, basil and onion with a side of kale chips.

DC TRIP April 2010 054

Mom liked the veggie topping but was not a fan of the raw bread. I ate bite and I agreed the bread was a little boring for me, but with the topping it was good. The kale chips were different than how I make them. They were more marinated…simple yet good. I would not say they were the best ones I ever tasted, but good.

And we split a Kombucha

DC TRIP April 2010 055

And of course we had dessert

DC TRIP April 2010 063 DC TRIP April 2010 061

I was a little disappointed they did not have more raw desserts, but they did offer a wide range of other baked goods that just looked delicious, all of them were vegan and there were just a handful of gluten free options.

DC TRIP April 2010 074

It was good, both mom and me liked it. Although both of us felt it was more mousse like than rich and dense like cheesecake but still wonderful!! We ate the whole thing…and thought about getting one to go ; ) but we were good and did not, we just headed back to hotel with more kombucha and I got a green smoothie to go for my sister Jen.

The weather was not the best when we arrived rainy and cold. But the plan was to do the night time segway tour….so we did….in the RAIN and COLD!!!!

DC TRIP April 2010 081

We went on the Capital City Tour. And had a wonderful tour guide, Dave! Thanks Dave we all had a great time.

DC TRIP April 2010 084

And let me remind you it was raining and freezing, especially when it got dark! Check us out in our very flattering ponchos. ; )

DC TRIP April 2010 100

Jen and I in front of Capital

DC TRIP April 2010 256

The Monument…hard to see in the background.

segway white house

Me in front of white house!

The segway tour was so much fun, even though it was cold and wet, but I would do it again. A great way to see the city!

We had a very late dinner at the hotel

I was not very hungry so I just ordered a side of carrots and broccoli

DC TRIP April 2010 002

My breakfast for all 3 days was pretty much the same thing….fruit and coffee.

DC TRIP April 2010 003

I do not eat melons, and it was not till my last day that I realized I could order just a bowl of berries, opps.

I snacked on bananas throughout the mornings…perfect travel snack ; )

DC TRIP April 2010 008

Wednesday we did a morning tour of Ford’s Theater

DC TRIP April 2010 092

The booth were President Lincoln was shot. Lincoln was one of my favorite presidents, so this was fun for me.

Who is your favorite President?

Lunch was at the Natural Museum of the American Indian. Our segway tour guide Dave recommend it’s food court.

DC TRIP April 2010 104

This place was amazing. They had a huge selection of foods…and they had things labeled vegetarian and gluten-free!!!!

DC TRIP April 2010 203

My plate was full of green beans, beet cucumber salad, and sweet potato salad. It hit the spot!!! Loved it!!!

Yes we just went in the museum to eat lunch!!! The food was that good!!! Everyone else enjoyed their food too.

We do more museums and lots of walking!

Then it was time for dinner at the Old Ebbitt Grill.

DC TRIP April 2010 112

It was the place to be for sure!! Must have a reservation if eating here.

The menu did not have much for me to eat so I just ordered salad, lentil soup, and broccoli.

DC TRIP April 2010 114 DC TRIP April 2010 117

DC TRIP April 2010 121And us ladies split a bottle of red wine

DC TRIP April 2010 116 My dad ordered raw oysters….now thinks he is a raw foodie, haha, he wanted me to take a picture. He really liked them!! So if you like oysters need to go to Old Ebbitt.

DC TRIP April 2010 118

Well that is my quick recap of my first 2 days in DC last week. I will finish up my trip tomorrow.

I guess both Lori and I are a little behind….thanks for bearing with us.

Well Lori gets back tomorrow!! As of now her flight is not affected from the volcanic ash.

Also check out our friend’s Lori and Katie, they are doing a Green Week Challenge (sorry girls I am late) but I will be posting my ways of being green soon!

Michelle

Valerie from City|Life|Eats April 19, 2010 at 9:12 am

Glad you enjoyed your trip and had yummy food at Java Green :)

Pure2 April 19, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Thanks Valerie, I wish I could have eaten at Java Green one more time before I left.

Lori April 19, 2010 at 10:20 am

Java Green looks like a great place to visit again. Glad to see everyone enjoyed their time in DC. Raw oysters … funny!

Earth Mother – In The Raw April 19, 2010 at 11:03 am

What a traveling family you have! I’ve actually eaten at the Museum of the American Indian too, and I agree, it is fabulous. {I enjoyed the exhibits too!}

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine April 19, 2010 at 11:56 am

Looks like a fun trip- I love the idea of a Segway tour!! Those things are so cool. And that raw chocolate mousse cake looks awesome!

Pure2 April 19, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Yes Gabriela the Segway tour was so much fun. I felt like an idiot at first but then I just relaxed and had fun.

Christine (The Raw Project) April 19, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Aw, what a fun trip! The Segway tour looks like a blast.

katie April 19, 2010 at 3:54 pm

im dying to go to DC! that looks like so much fun girl!

Pure2 April 19, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Katie you would love DC!

fartygirl April 19, 2010 at 5:04 pm

OMG you in a poncho and on a segway! stylin’! :)

Not surprised to hear you found good food at the museum. They usually do have good eats. Smart people run museums. ;)

Coconut noodles sound interesting… is that one you are planning on recreating at home? :)

Pure2 April 19, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Yes I hope to one day soon recreated the coconut noodles!! YUM!

veganlisa April 19, 2010 at 6:02 pm

It looks like you had a wonderful weekend! I wish more restaurants had kale chips as their standard side dish!

Welcome home to you both.

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) April 19, 2010 at 7:10 pm

You look noble on your segway steed! Glad you had fun!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 19, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Wow you girls are jet setters!!!!!!!
As for the kale chips, right before you wrote about them i thought to myself L & M’s look way better than that (and un-humbly, so do mine!) but hey variety is the spice of life, right.

And the desserts..there should never be a shortage of raw desserts as that’s the easiest thing to make, IMO, in the raw world! But the cheezecake looks yum :)

Katie April 19, 2010 at 10:04 pm

You got to ride a Segway! I am so jealous! I was just reading a raw cookbook last night that mentioned coconut noodles. That seems a little too sweet, no?

Pure2 April 20, 2010 at 5:56 am

Yes Katie I would think they would be sweet, but the sauce they had over the coconut noodles with the veggies was very spicy, so I could not taste the sweet.

Keia Kato April 20, 2010 at 4:24 am

I am from the Maryland area, and I am glad you went to the American Indian cafe! it is sooo yummy. Another great restaurant in the DC area you should check out is Sticky Fingers. It is a vegan bakery with a cafe attached to it. They have some raw things I think… but they do have gluten free options. I was really impressed with their food. I hope you are enjoying it here! :)

Pure2 April 20, 2010 at 5:55 am

Yes Keia I have heard about Sticky Fingers, never had the time to make it, next time I will!

Ashley April 20, 2010 at 5:08 am

LOVE Java Green! ANDDDDDDDDD i’ve always wanted to go on a segs in the city tour! :) so much fun girl!

shannonmarie April 20, 2010 at 11:58 am

I’ve been meaning to get back to Java Green, as Rawbin and I have been planning a trip. I keep forgetting that Hayden is now added to the equation. I’ve haven’t taken her to DC yet.

So glad to here Lori should make it home on time :-)

elizabeth April 21, 2010 at 7:14 am

yummy eats!!
and i adore the photos of you on the segways!

Katie April 22, 2010 at 5:56 pm

So glad you had a great trip to DC!! Next time you are out here we have to meet up!! Thanks for the anny wishes!!! Love ya beautiful!! xoxo

Lori December 10, 2010 at 7:22 am

Have fun times in DC :) I still would love to try Java Green.

Pure2 December 10, 2010 at 7:23 am

Yes DC is always a great time. You must try Java Green :) It was delicious!