Socca trials and recipes

by Lori and Michelle on May 16, 2010

Hello luvs,

Yesterday was Michelle and I’s day off from the Insanity workout program. According to the calendar that is provided with the program gives Sunday as the day off but with our schedule we have absolutely no energy on Saturday therefore we had to switch the two days. But this morning we got up and did our cardio segment :) Sure did work-up a good sweat! I felt amazing! The cardio circuit that we did this morning was the same one you start the program with and by doing it the second time around I felt stronger. Well for the most part ;) It still was INSANE! Afterwards Michelle and I felt a little tight so we did some light stretching and then whipped up a delicious post-workout shake.

Today we wanted to finally share with all of you our socca experiments!

may 2010 p2r blog 195

Seriously Michelle and I have been obsessed with making socca. We can’t seem to get enough of the delicious garbanzo based flatbread/pancake. Now like I have mentioned before we have tried a variety of different combinations and have loved them all. I suggest you play around with the ingredients and ratios till you find the one you like most ;)

may 2010 p2r blog 258

Basic socca recipe (this is the recipe we came across the most in our research for making socca)!

• 1 cup garbanzo bean flour
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2-4 tbsp oil (typical socca uses olive oil though we have been using coconut oil)

Now for the part that makes it real interesting is how to make it. From all our research there are different ways people make socca. Some just broil it, some just bake it, and some do both.  Michelle and I have done a variety of ways of baking socca as well.

First we did it on our stovetop. The socca came out great though once you tried to flip it – disaster. Therefore we decided we are going to try baking our socca.

Another time we tried a different baking method as well as trying the recipe with increased water. We came across Mark Bittman’s recipes and he uses 3 cups of water to 1 cup flour. So we gave this a try!

Most recipes say to put oven at 425 or 450 we did ours at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour.

Socca is supposed to be eaten warm right out of the oven! It really is a snack to die for ;) Love it. Socca should have a crispy outside with a moist custard like inside. Now with our recipe experiments we had some that were really crispy and than some that were really soft and had a custard like texture. Once you start making some you will find out what style you like best!

may 2010 p2r blog 257

Continuing on with our trials we next tried a socca recipe that was

• 1 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp oil

We baked it in the oven for about 30 minutes than flipped it and baked another 10-15 minutes. *Note: you can broil you socca too which provides more of a brown/burnt like flatbread

may 2010 p2r blog 063

And other version we tried was

• 1 cup flour
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 3 tbsp oil

Baked it again as mentioned above.

This one came out real custard like :) I have come to realize that I prefer the soft custard like ones and Michelle likes the burnt ones! Some socca’s we have even put onions in them and tasted amazing! You really can flavor it any way you want! We like ours with cumin or rosemary the best :)

And one more version of socca we tried was

• 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp oil

Again came out great! I do not think you can really go wrong with any version in my opinion.

Now going along with this different version of socca we have realized what type of pan you bake it in makes a difference as well. First we used a 12 inch circle pan, than used a 12 inch cast iron pan, and than we tried a 10 inch circle pan.

may 2010 p2r blog 317

Our thoughts on different pans:

• cast iron works best for providing a crispy outside though it always stuck to the pan
  • the 12 inch pan works best for thinner, custard like socca (especially when you do 3 cups of water)
  • the 10 inch pan does best for the 1:1 ratio of flour to water
  • the two circle pans are non-stick so socca does not stick to bottom
  • all pans and sizes come out great but different textures

may 2010 p2r blog 271

Socca has become a favorite ‘treat’ for Michelle and I! And plan to make it from time to time. By having this flatbread has really made me fall back in love with garbanzo beans :) And the good news is that my tummy seems to be liking the socca!

Now go out there and try to make some socca yourself and let us know your thoughts! Again it is best east warm right out of the oven! Though you may re-heat any leftover socca and it still taste great.

Pure2Raw Twins

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 16, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Thanks for sharing your recipe!! This looks like a huge, thick crepe- yummy! What is the taste similar too? I’m imagining a heartier pancake!

Pure2 May 16, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Gabriela, yes it is like a huge crepe. A savory pancake I guess. If you like garbanzo/chickpeas you will love it.

hihorosie May 16, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Yummy yummy! Now where to do you find garbanzo flour or do you make your own?

Lauren May 16, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Wow, I never had Socca, this looks great!!!!! And simple too!

Pure2 May 16, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Heidi you can get garbanzo flour at most Whole Foods and health food stores. We do make our own, if we had the time, maybe, but somethings you just have to buy already done ; )

veganlisa May 16, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Your dedication to achieving the perfect socca makes me think it is something I simply must try. It sounds like a really comforting food. Thanks for sharing all the tips you learned through your trials.

katie May 16, 2010 at 7:04 pm

HEY GIRLS!! Thank you so uch for your support! These recipes look AWESOME!! i love that u put the garbanzo flour in – that is so freaking creative. HAPPY SUNDAY!

nelly May 16, 2010 at 8:33 pm

yum. i am definitely going to try this. anything with garbanzo is a friend of mine…

thanks ladies for trying to so very hard to perfect this recipe…i love how dedicated you are…

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) May 16, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Oh my GAWD! What is this socca you speak of?! I have a whole bag of garbanzo bean flour in the cabinet that has been sitting there for months because I don’t know what to do with it. I’ve had ideas but this makes me really want to break it open!!! Thanks for doing all the experimenting for us. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 16, 2010 at 10:46 pm

socca…still am clueless as to how i have never even tried this stuff..gotta get on it!

Katie May 17, 2010 at 3:34 am

The socca looks so yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will love Daiya Cheese, it is delish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE it!!!!!

I want to get that insanity dvd set, heard its awesome!! Sounds like you girls are liking it!!!! Have a great day!! xoxo

Pure2 May 17, 2010 at 4:05 am

Jackie, socca is a French style of a savory pancake/crepe like bread. It is so good ; ) And simple to make! Enjoy!

Gena May 17, 2010 at 4:23 am

Wow, how cool! I would love to try this, as I’m partial to anything involving chickpeas. Yum!

Ilana May 17, 2010 at 5:40 am

Oh gosh I *love* socca! I really never thought about mking them myself. Maybe I should give this a whirl!!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Bety May 17, 2010 at 6:52 am

I’ve never even heard of this!! It looks like it’s delicious though!! :) Must give it a go!!

Lori May 17, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Throw a nice big salad loaded with tomatoes, avos, and nori (with tahini dressing) and you’ve got yourself a What Runs Lori FAVORITE! YUM! So delicious! Again, you girls know I LOVE socca, so thank you for all of your great recipes and tips on finding the perfect one! I really love Mark’s recipe with the onions inside. Mmmm! Great post! (I have been eating chickpeas nonstop every day for the last few weeks… and hummus… I LOVE chickpeas!)

Pure2 May 17, 2010 at 12:47 pm

We must thank you Lori for sharing your socca recipe…actually we should blame you because we cannot stop eating it, haha, LOL> We love it!!!! Yes chickpeas are great!

fartygirl May 17, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Socca reminds me of my pakora pancakes, except thicker. I always make them super thin because of the custardy inside. But I never tried them on a skillet in the oven before. Mad excitement over here to try this out. Thank you ladies for the recipes and your hard work.

Stephanie May 17, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I remember when you talked about eating socca while in Europe and I went searching for a recipe online right away. I got the chickpea flour I was missing to make it… and then forgot all about it, lol. Thanks for sharing all those recipes. I’ll have to try it soon!

Claire (College:Raw) May 17, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Ah, thank you so so much for posting this! I absolutely cannot wait to get home and make this! I’m thinking I might like the crispier version, but perhaps I’m wrong! I’ll just have to make it in order to tell. ;-)

evergreen May 18, 2010 at 7:11 pm

I can’t believe you have me craving something I never knew of until this post…haha! Thanks for sharing.

Leslie @LaMamaNaturale July 28, 2010 at 12:23 am

Ooooohhhh! yummy!!! I tried socca tonight and it was absolutely wonderful. I can’t believe I’ve never heard of it or tried this before now. This is seriously going to become a staple. Thank you so much for sharing your recipes. You girls are such an inspiration to me. I made two versions…one of yours and one I spiced with Nutritional Yeast and Garlic Powder… sooooo good! Thx again. Have a SUPER wk! :)

Pure2 July 28, 2010 at 4:03 am

Leslie – your socca sounds delicious! I am glad to hear you like it!!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty August 9, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Ugg… this didn’t work for me……….. It totally stuck to the pan too, total mess!!! hahaha it still tasted good, so I’ll keep trying!! :)

Pure2 August 10, 2010 at 2:42 am

Jessica – we sometimes get it to stick too, it depends what pan we are using. Try a different pan or put more oil in the pan.

rebekah (clarity in creation.) September 10, 2010 at 8:09 am

hey girls- i know it’s best fresh, but can you freeze them? i’d love to keep some for easy lunches for my sister and i… have you guys tried yet or do i need to experiment for us?

Pure2 September 10, 2010 at 9:09 am

Rebekah, we have not tried freezing our socca yet, we will play around with it. But I think it would be fine especially since you would have to re-heat it before eating again. Good luck!

kelli September 30, 2010 at 6:59 pm

hey girls! do you mind sharing how you make your own garbanzo bean flour? just grind the dry chick peas??

Pure2 September 30, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Kelli, we buy our garbanzo bean flour from the store- we use Bob Red Mill’s brand. We are experimenting with making our flour, hopefully we will share soon we are still practicing.

Amanda October 20, 2010 at 8:55 am

I made socca for the first time last night and it was like, omg, so yummy. haha. i used 1 cup flour, 1.5 cups water, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tbsp grapeseed oil. i cooked it in a 10″ cast iron skillet for 35 minutes at 425 deg. I put hummus and spinach on some of the slices and tofutti sour cream, hot sauce, and nutritional yeast on the rest. thank you for all of your insight on the different socca recipes. i have a feeling it will def become a staple in my cooking.

Amanda October 20, 2010 at 8:56 am

ooh, i was also thinking that socca would make the best french toast.

Pure2 October 20, 2010 at 10:08 am

Amanda this makes me sooooo happy! I am so glad that the socca turned out for you and that you love it as much as we do ;) Yes it think it would work for french toast!

Naomi Sorgenfri December 20, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Yummy! My family was a little skeptical when I first told them about this recipe, but low and behold, not even half an hour after it came out of the oven, it has all mysteriously disappeared! I’ll likely be baking another batch again today, and many more to come. This is sure to become a staple in our household.
I love that it feel like I’m eating bread, and yet it has all the protein of beans. And there are so many variations! I am so excited to try out all the many recipes you have here – especially the chocolate one!
Thank you so much for sharing this fabulous discovery!

Pure2 December 20, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Yay Naomi that is awesome :) So happy to hear this and yes there are many variations you can do with socca!! Have fun!!!

Steph January 1, 2011 at 5:49 am

Happy new year !
I have another question,
I can’t remember if i’ve seen somewhere here on your blog, that you’ve bought sprouted chickpea flour? If so what it is the brand, I’d like to order online :-)

Pure2 January 1, 2011 at 8:47 am

Steph – we made our sprouted chickpea flour. We bought chickpeas from Blue Mountain Organics, and then sprouted them and then made flour. Blue Mountain has other sprouted flours like millet and brown rice. Hope this helps!

Tabitha January 19, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Wow! I’m totally convinced! Can’t wait to try some of these combinations. My farmers’ market is full of beautiful winter squashes, which I am super psyched to try with some of these socca recipes. THANKS!

abhi January 21, 2011 at 8:31 am

hi ladies,

Must say that it is quite a good source of proteins. I was looking for some veg recepies containing high proteins as i lift weights. Will surely try out your recepies.

keep posting and thanks again.I have bookmarked your site and hope for some more amazing recepies.

abhi January 21, 2011 at 8:39 am

here’s what i m going to try-

300 g chick-pea flour
500 ml water
1 Tblsp oil
1 teasp salt

mixing all ingredients , placing batter on the oven pan.(about half inch thick)

preheating oven at high for 3 mins

setting microwave at 450 degrees

cooking until it the top turns brown .is it okay?

Pure2 January 21, 2011 at 9:51 am

That should be fine. I hope you like it :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 4, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Just made my first socca tonight. Oh my gosh, so simple! Socca, where have you been all my life?!? Thanks for all the various recipes. :)

Pure2 February 4, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Heather – yay! Welcome to the socca club!! I know so easy, enjoy!

Amy February 12, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I can’t wait to try this. I love bread, but am looking to cut out gluten and wheat. I love chick peas and can’t wait to try the different recipes/versions.

Pure2 February 13, 2011 at 7:55 am

Amy – you will love socca!

Amy February 18, 2011 at 5:51 am

I finally tried this. I ground my own beans and it did not look pretty, but it was good. My 2 year old son loved it. His twin sister and 3 year old brother weren’t as impressed, but I will definitely be making this again!

Amy February 19, 2011 at 10:45 am

I just made this again and I used coconut oil this time. It flipped almost perfect ( I was amazed). It is so good. I will definitely be making this often!

Pure2 February 19, 2011 at 11:51 am

That is awesome Amy!!!! YAY

Patty March 7, 2011 at 7:59 pm

how do you measure the socca? I notice that I can pack the cup of flour or just pour it in lightly…? What’s the best way to measure this!?

Pure2 March 8, 2011 at 7:06 am

Patty we don’t really pack our flour into the one cup, we just gently scoop into the bowl of flour and level it off.

Brandae March 11, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Loved your videos and tshirt too! Thank you so much for posting.

Made the socca today with a yummy twist – used chocolate almond milk, garbanzo-fava flour, sea salt, chili powder, ground pepper, cinnamon, and coconut oil. Cooked in a skillet on the stove, flipped it, and then scraped homemade coconut butter all over the top. SO GOOD! I just love that spicy-sweet combo!

Pure2 March 11, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Brandae – oh wow that sounds amazing!!! love sweet and spicy!

sarah March 16, 2011 at 4:22 pm

so sorry if i posted this elsewhere (i could swear i did but can’t find it!) – how do you keep your socca from sticking? i keep losing half to the pan

Iris April 2, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I’m trying to use less starch in my baking, so of course when I was looking for a starch free “pizza” recipe, I thought of your blog. :) Because of you and Anney (FartyGirl), I’ve been thinking about making socca for a long time, but I think it’s about time I finally went ahead and did it. This is definitely on the to-make list this week.

Vicki Thomas April 18, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I don’t have a cast iron pan – can I bake this in the oven in a pyrex dish? Or a non-stick 8 x 10 pan?

Brianna May 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I am so excited to try this tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rana May 16, 2011 at 7:50 pm

YUMM. Cant wait to try heaps of your socca recipes. I’ve only started making socca recently (but am already addicted). My favorite combination so far is the basic mix plus onion, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, olives and fresh herbs. DELISH. Worked perfectly in the oven.

I’ve also tried a sweet variation with stewed apple, cinnamon and honey (because i don’t eat sugar or sweeteners). Made it in a skillet but didn’t use enough oil and it was a bit of a flop. Will try again in the oven because i think its a winning combination :-) .

michelle June 8, 2011 at 6:43 am

Do you think this would work with millet flour? It sounds so good. This would be a great recipe since I am gluten, dairy, sugar and yeast free.

Marie-Helene July 4, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Hi! I have to tell you…
I just made myself a sublime socca pizza with hummus fennel, tomatoes, soy feta (a little occasional treat) etc. It was de-li-cious. I had not had pizza like this since going gluten-free 4 years ago. Although I am not a huge pizza fan the idea of eating a good dairy/gluten-free pizza was constantly on my mind. Thank you!
P.S. I have tried many variations of socca inspired by your blog and the least I can say is that socca have been ab amazing discovery for me! Cheers!

Erin July 27, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I just made my first Socca!!!! I’m very proud of myself- even though I could have left it in the oven longer… I know next time will be even better! I added rosemary and it was heavenly! I think I can use this whenever I think I “need” bread. What a treasure your site has been for me!!! Thank you!

Pure2 July 27, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Your very welcome Erin!!!!!!!

Elena August 21, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Hiello dear Twins, I just had to say thank you for inspiring me to be a healthy eater all this time -) love your blog and love socca! Please check out my socca experience with Arabic twist to it! All inspired by you, girls!
Luv ya xo

Pure2 August 22, 2011 at 5:33 am

Elena thank you for your support and kind words!! We are so happy you have been enjoying socca too :)

beccah September 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm

can this be made with millet by grinding the raw,dry millet in a spice grinder?dont have the flour yuo use :/ :(

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning October 7, 2011 at 9:37 am

I just found your blog, and love the blog name.
I have never even heard of Socca before, but I totally have to make it now! I have a whole bag of Bob’s Red Mill Garbonzo bean flour at home, too!
Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning recently posted..Happy thoughts for a FridayMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm

thanks Lauren!! and oh yes please make yourself some socca you will love it!

Megan March 13, 2012 at 10:15 am

I have been making socca for a week now and I am addicted! I have a Vitamix dry blade container, so I can buy chickpeas and grind them myself. It makes it super cheap and I can do it any time (don’t have to worry about having the flour on hand!). I also have been adding an 1/8 tsp. of cumin, which is delicious. I just found your blog through Pinterest and I’m looking forward to trying many of your recipes (i.e. thin mint protein cookies and lentil burgers). Thanks!

Lori and Michelle March 13, 2012 at 10:25 am

Megan that sounds awesome! the vitamix is the best ;)

S. Lohnes October 3, 2012 at 9:18 am

I’ m ready to try your recipes. FYI, Bob’s Red Mill makes garbanzo bean flour and I found it in New Hampshire at Market Bastet, an regular grocery store, In fact, they have an extensive offering of his products.

Jen Pinefeather November 26, 2012 at 1:00 am

Finally tried your socca recipe (Did the 1 c. flour, 1.5 c. water recipe)- and WOW. So good!! Tastes like something deliciously unhealthy, even glutinous and a little cheesy, but didn’t hurt the tummy or weigh me down. Thanks so much!
FYI, I did 30 min. in the oven at 400F, then about 15 more minutes on high broil for a nice crispy top. Perfection!

ruth December 14, 2012 at 11:54 am

I had ever tried socca before, but came upon your blog and recipes when searching for ways to eat garbanzo bean sprouts. I tried them raw in salads and too green-tasting. I used a food processor to grind the whole sprouts after about a week of being in the fridge. They had dried out somewhat. The “flour” was sort of rough, not fine, maybe because I didn’t want to hull each bean sprout. I added the water and it was a bit too much, so that when I added it onto my pizza round, ceramic baker, the excess wanted to run off. I put a larger pizza pan underneath in the oven and let the excess run off onto it. It turned out great! I cut with a pizza cutter and it was crisp on the edges, and a little moister in the middle. My dog got to lick the bottom pizza pan runoff goodie. Next time I will add less water and it should be perfect. Thanks so much for your recipe ideas. I am going to add the cumin and some minced garlic next time, soon!

Paul October 11, 2013 at 6:53 am

I love your website and the wonderfully thorough and inspiring way that you have gone at this project. I shall certainly be buying some chick pea flour and trying out the socca. I think Cannes is a great place to eat too! By the way I came accross your website because the senior parner in my law firm asked me to do some rearch on SOCA, the Serious and Organised Crime Agency and I accidently spelled it with an extra c. Frightfully glad I did.

Robert December 15, 2013 at 3:38 pm

My wife and I came across Sestri Levante in Liguria and found a bakery with baking sheet slabs of some pizza looking treat. They made it early in morning and it was all sold out by 9:30 a.m. We found it unusually tasty… sorta pizza. We asked what it was called. No one spoke English…their time better served horning into line to purchase the very few remaining pieces.

About five years later we went back to the bakery location. No longer in business. We had been telling people about this unusual pizza during those five years; we were disappointed we could not purchase and enjoy some again.

Another five or so years…..started researching on the net about this unusual tasty pizza. I read many sites. Your site fulfilled my quest. You mentioned a custard type middle, crunchy on the outside……Bingo!

Vacations in Italy raise many culinary questions due to language problems, regional name changes as well as some preparation variants…and final baking results. Thank you so much for diligence, experimentation and sharing…..gotta go…..for chick pea flour……Ah!

Pradeep February 13, 2014 at 7:33 am

A skillet version of this has been made in India for ages. It is called Besan (i.e. chickpea flour) Chilla. Madr as a thin crepe, fried (flipped) on a pan on stovetop. Usually groundnut oil used as frying medium. Often chopped onions, green chillies and corainder leaves are mixed into the batter. Or you could use them as a topping if you prefer. You could fry both sides and use any preferred filling (e.g. grated carrots, coconut or other) and fold over like sn omlette..Hope you try out these variations.