When a kombucha goes bad and some great product finds!

by Lori and Michelle on May 18, 2010

Good morning friends,

Lori and I got up again bright and early this morning to do our Insanity workout dvd session today for our 60 day challenge! Today was pure cardio day! And we loved every minute of it. The pure cardio day is straight cardio with no breaks. It is intense and gets your heart rate bumping the whole time! You have to have your game face on ;)

Afterward our cardio workout session we enjoyed a new product that the wonderful people over at Vega Team sent us to try (we had this product to try for some time now and just now got around to it). It is their newest product called Vega Sport – Natural Plant-Based Performance Protein!

may 2010 p2r blog 661 The flavor we got was vanilla!

may 2010 p2r blog 662Into the bowl the protein powder goes.

may 2010 p2r blog 666Added in some water and mixed it around.  Yes I like mine thick!!!!

may 2010 p2r blog 667I love how it turned the color green :) Both Lori and I really like Vega Sport performance protein powder. You know we love the Vega Whole Food Health Optimizer therefore we had a feeling we would love this too. And we did! The Vega Sport is really smooth in texture and has great flavor!

Here are some quick benefits of why you should give Vega Sport a try and see how your body likes it:

• improves exercise performance
  • maintains strength during workouts
  • assists in muscle cell repair after exercise
  • reduces inflammation, soreness, and fatigue

Now those are just some of the benefits! I am in love already :) I see this being a great addition during our 60 day challenge!

Now onto another great product we find in the health food store the other day. *This next product we bought ourselves!

may 2010 p2r blog 719It is a dairy free coconut water based kefir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The company who makes it is called Inner-Eco!

may 2010 p2r blog 721

Now we typically make our own water kefirs but it makes me so HAPPY to see this available in the stores! What a great grab and go drink just like Synergy’s Kombucha’s!! Love seeing all this fermented drinks in the health food stores!!! YAY!!!

Now onto the what happens when a homemade-kombucha goes bad! Yes it does happen but not that often. Actually this is the first time Lori and I have ever experienced a bad kombucha and we have been making our own for several months now! But we wanted to share with you all because we felt like you needed to see what a bad kombucha can look like.

may 2010 p2r blog 647

First we could tell this one went bad because all the bubbles everywhere along the edge, the dust/green look on top, and the smell was not normal.

may 2010 p2r blog 646We are not sure what went wrong with this one, but maybe the baby scoby got dirty when transferred it over to a new batch of sugared water.  But anyways we just dumped the whole thing and started again. No big deal, this is how you learn and thankfully we have about 8 other scoby’s going ;)

Other news:

Lori had finally updated her travel page. She has added a separate page of a list of all the places she ate at while traveling in France and Spain. Our friend Val gave us the idea. Thanks girl!

And anyone else excited about LOST tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!! We SURE ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great evening everyone!

Till next time

Michelle

Pure2Raw Twins

Julie @savvyeats May 18, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Soooo excited about Lost! In that bittersweet way, though, since we know it is coming to an end soon.

Pure2 May 18, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Julie, I know it is bittersweet. I am curious how they are going to end it all. I have my ideas but know that they are probably going to shock us all in the end ;)

sarah May 18, 2010 at 2:11 pm

That is odd about the kombucha, I haven’t had that happen. I have never seen scoby with an “i” at the end since scoby stands for symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast. :)

I have heard good things about the insanity videos, glad you are enjoying them.

Pure2 May 18, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Sarah, yeah it was odd for our kombucha, it was a first for us. Thanks for bringing the mis-spelled scoby, I was typing fast. I will go and change it now. Thanks!

Natalie May 18, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I was thinking about trying out the Insanity workout challenge! Do you girls like it so far? I don’t have that Rest&Recovery powder they promote, do you normally use protein powder supplements? I’ve never used them and if I start (I know I won’t get enough protein because of how my diet is now) and I wanted to know what you would suggest if you do use them! Thanks! :)

Pure2 May 18, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Natalie, good questions. We have really been enjoying the Insanity workout dvds. The workouts have really help bring back our love of fitness and challenges us both mentally and physically :) We do not have the rest and recovery powders either, we like using Vega protein powders. But we mostly just use hemp seeds (those seem to work well with our tummies). All the other protein powders out there are too harsh for our stomachs. We do not use any protein supplements besides having Vega protein powders every now and than. We eat a lot of dark leafy greens and a variety of nuts/seeds. That seems to work well for us! Let me know if there anything else. We will address this protein powders tomorrow ;) Thanks

Lauren May 18, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Wow, I’ve gotta get my hands on some of the probotic starter! :) I also have to try vega sport! I’m hooked on Sunwarrior right now!

fartygirl May 18, 2010 at 4:26 pm

SO EXCITED ABOUT LOST!!! Are you ladies watching the retrospective on Sunday too? It looks pretty cool. I get shivers watching the ads!

Thanks for the bad kombooch pic. That certainly doesn’t look normal. The inside of that jug looks like underwater death world.

Here in so. east PA we have Caveman kefir. It’s a new company that makes kefir water in the neatest flavors. Tarragon. Black Pepper. Saffron.

Too bad it’s cultured or else I’d ship some to you!

Ela May 18, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Don’t know what ‘LOST’ is – but wonderful that you can now get coconut kefir to go in the store! Last time I was in Anchorage (we have no natural food store in town here), I found a drink made of water, stevia, ginger juice and apple cider vinegar! It was plenty expensive for something I can make myself for pennies, but for when I’m in town and need to be able to grab something, it was delightful.

I’ve had kombucha go bad a couple of times – usually if I’ve left it sitting for too long, or if the air circulation isn’t sufficient, or if it got too hot (our cabin gets so much sun exposure when the sun is actually out that it can be difficult to regulate the heat in there). I’ve had to throw away a few cultures that have gone moldy like that, or even just quit culturing without any visible sign of a problem, but like you said, the good thing is that they keep making babies so you have backup!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 18, 2010 at 5:48 pm

I just received my Insanity and am SO PUMPED to start it!! The kefir sounds interesting…I’ve had coconut milk kefir, but never coconut water!!

Pure2 May 18, 2010 at 6:10 pm

We cannot wait to hear what you think of Insanity Gabriela!!

MarathonVal May 18, 2010 at 5:59 pm

That’s awesome you made a traveling page…. that will be super convenient assuming one day I actually get my butt to Europe, already!

And I actually have a jug of brewed Kombucha that is months old and the older it gets, the more scared I am that it will have gone bad…

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin May 18, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I’m SO excited for LOST!! Kinda sad that it’s going to be all over on Sunday, though… I think there’s going to be lots of LOST depression going around after that! ;)

I’m on Day 2 of Insanity so far– it’s quite the challenge, but I’m loving it!

Katie May 18, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Great minds do think alike!! I love that you have the same dream too!! I wish you girls the best and know your dreams will come true! U girls are amazing!!

New Moon was great!! love that you watched it this past weekend too!! WOuld be so cool to see the third one together if we lived closer!!!!

That protein powder looks great, will have to look for that!!!

Have a great night! LOST was good!!!!!!!!!!! Season Finale Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!

Miho May 18, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Hi! I don’t comment often, but I love reading your blog on googlereader!

OMG!!! Vegan Kefir is the most AMAZING thing I’ve heard!! (because they’re always milk based and I’m vegan) That’s fantastic!!

And good thing you were able to learn from the gone-bad kombucha! :D I really wish it was easy to make, because I’d love to!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 18, 2010 at 9:16 pm

it’s excellent that you posted the bad kombu b/c it’s important for us ALL to learn. These things are a bit foreign to many so it’s great to show us what it looks like when things go south :(

I love the travel page idea!

And of course, if you’re ever traveling to San Diego, we have to get together :)

hihorosie May 18, 2010 at 10:52 pm

We’ve been making our own kombucha lately so sharing info on the bad scoby is helpful. I’ll be on watch!

shannonmarie May 19, 2010 at 5:11 am

I wonder if that is the Vega product I am supposed to be getting in the mail. I picked Vanilla, too. I’m anxious to try it.

The Robertsons of Mumbai May 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Thanks for showing the bad kombucha photos! Very good to know! Do you have any bad coconut water kefir photos? Just curious…