Almond butter fig flatbread

by Lori and Michelle on August 29, 2010

aug tc 2010 1215

Michelle and I have been planning this socca Sunday meal for a few days now! I am so excited to finally share it with you all :) We slept in this morning, so it was more of a brunch!

Last time I was in Charlotte I stopped by a health food store to grab some of Justin’s almond butter that we have seen many bloggers love. Luckily, for me the store offered samples of it! We were both eager to give this almond butter a try and we thought it would taste great with our socca.

Michelle and I were discussing our plans of our next socca Sunday… yes we plan these out, and thought figs would taste great with the almond butter socca idea we were already planning. We were going with a upgraded version of the classic PB & J!

Today’s Sunday Brunch – for our socca Sunday!

Pure2Raw’s Almond Butter Fig Socca

The main ingredients

aug tc 2010 1126

aug tc 2010 1127

Justin’s Maple Almond Butter (I bought these samples with my own money)

aug tc 2010 1131

and fresh figs (love fig season)

aug tc 2010 1144

aug tc 2010 1146

And of course socca!!

Today’s socca I did:

• 1 cup garbanzo bean flour
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil (for the pan)

In a large bowl I put the garbanzo bean flour, water, salt, cinnamon and whisked together.

I put the 3 tbsp coconut oil in my 10 inch pan into a pre-heated oven of 400 degrees. Let the oil get hot for 4 minutes. Next I poured the cinnamon socca batter into the pan and baked for 40 minutes.

I topped the socca with the almond butter and fresh figs..no need for jelly when you have sweet fresh figs to use instead ; )

aug tc 2010 1132

aug tc 2010 1133

aug tc 2010 1134

aug tc 2010 1154

aug tc 2010 1157

aug tc 2010 1162

aug tc 2010 1166

Yummy almond butter

aug tc 2010 1167

aug tc 2010 1171

aug tc 2010 1175

aug tc 2010 1180

Fresh the toppings with figs

aug tc 2010 1182

aug tc 2010 1184

Final Dish

aug tc 2010 1190

aug tc 2010 1194

aug tc 2010 1197

Time to slice up

aug tc 2010 1201

aug tc 2010 1204

A little piece of heaven :)

aug tc 2010 1208

aug tc 2010 1212

Each bite was pure sweet bliss!

aug tc 2010 1219

Michelle and I really enjoyed the combination of the almond butter and the sweet figs with the garbanzo bean socca! YUMMMMMM A little savory….with a little sweetness!

Lori

Pure2raw Twin

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 29, 2010 at 10:26 am

I haven’t tried Justin’s yet. Looks good! We love socca here too! I make it into waffles too! I love that it can go savory or sweet. The figs look beautiful too! Enjoy your day ladies!

Tamikko August 29, 2010 at 10:39 am

Oh my does that ever look delish. Actually salivating :)
I think it might be hard to find the garbanzo bean flour.

Pure2 August 29, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Tamikko – most health foods stores sell garbanzo bean flour, in addition you can get it off Amazon.

Crystal August 29, 2010 at 11:51 am

Girls, that post made me drool! I love figs & never know how to use them in recipes, but now I think I have a new one to try ;) . I love reading your blog & loved your recent post about not labeling yourselves. Keep up the great work!

Pure2 August 29, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Crystal- thank you! We use fresh figs a lot in things…we also shared a grape fig smoothie you might like too, http://www.pure2raw.com/2010/08/how-we-make-a-green-smoothie/

Ela August 29, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Oh, that sounds wonderful! Mediterranean again! Figs and almonds go so well together and I may just have to try socca out on my family.

tweal August 29, 2010 at 1:30 pm

What a great breakfast idea! I just recently had some fresh figs for the first time, but they were not very sweet or flavourful. I sometimes make a breakfast quesadilla with an ezekiel wrap, almond butter, and sliced strawberries, quickly pan-toasted on each side for a crunchy exterior. Sooo yummy. Now you have me craving socca :)

Pure2 August 29, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Tweal – sorry to hear your figs were not sweet….they have a short season and if they are not ripe they have more a bland flavor. But you breakfast wrap sounds great!

hihorosie August 29, 2010 at 1:33 pm

It’s beautiful! Wow! Nice work ladies! I haven’t tried Justin’s yet either. Keep seeing the to-go packs. I should try some. :)

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries August 29, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Oh my goodness. I am drooling. And bookmarking. This looks AMAZING! And Justin’s maple AB is my absolute favorite :)

MarathonVal August 29, 2010 at 4:32 pm

That looks like the most delicious socca ever.. like dessert pizza! mmm!

emma August 29, 2010 at 5:03 pm

That looks AMAZIN!!! deffo gonna make some this week :-) luv ya x x x

Susan August 29, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Wow…that really looks good. Where do you get the garbanzo flour…do you make it yourself? (running to sprout garbanzo beans now!)a

Pure2 August 29, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Susan – no we do not make our flour, but maybe we will start. You can garbanzo flour at most health food stores.

rebekah (clarity in creation.) August 29, 2010 at 6:12 pm

oh my gosh you are a god-send! i am on a gluten-free test run right now and have been thinking about making something delicious for my celiac sister and i for a while! bless you!!!

Pure2 August 29, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Rebekah – everything on our site is gluten-free ; ) Hope you like it!

Lauren August 29, 2010 at 7:23 pm

yum. figs are the coolest!! I saw them being displayed at WF today. They bring back memories of fig newtons… fond memories, though I cannot say I would be willing to eat one of those these day.

The Vegan Tiffin August 29, 2010 at 8:19 pm

This looks super yum!!!!! I can’t get fresh figs here. I sound like a broken record lately… Food envy! :)

Natalie @ cinnamonbums August 29, 2010 at 8:48 pm

wow this looks delicious!!!! ive been lovin the fig + almond butter combination – ive eaten it on toast, but not socca.. i have a bag of garbanzo bean flour just waiting to be used, and i NEED to make some socca this week. it just looks divine. im sad fig season is almost over but until then i am eating them EVERY DAY!!! they are the most beautiful fruit!

Katie August 29, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Anything with fresh figs is going to be great! Perfect breakfast, ladies!

bitt August 29, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Love the PB and J idea but with figs and AB.

Lisa is Raw on $10 a Day (or Less!) August 29, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Wow, this looks delicious … beautiful photography, too.

shannonmarie August 30, 2010 at 5:44 am

Oh yummy. I’ve gotta make some to this :-)

Deby August 30, 2010 at 5:44 am

Wow this looks great!! :D I have to find figs now!! :D

carrie August 30, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I just read this post and had to try it. No socca available but used your raw crackers as a base – so delicious! i love fig season. thanks for the yummy combo!!

Pure2 August 30, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Carrie that is awesome! I think using our crackers is a perfect substitute, yum, making me hungry just thinking about it :)

evergreen(happy raw kitchen) August 31, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Thanks for another beautiful, creative, and delicious recipe! It made a great brunch yesterday :) I added a sprinkle of cinnamon and a drizzle of maple syrup since I did not have the exact almond butter and my socca was plain.

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com January 9, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Wow this sounds really amazing and of course is beautiful!