A new way to make socca

by Lori and Michelle on September 19, 2010

sept blog 2010 741

Hey friends,

Lately, I have had not be enjoying my 12 in pizza pan to make socca in because it makes it too crispy (which is not always bad, but I do always want a thin crispy bread) and it is extremely hard to get out of the pan. One downside to socca until now.

I have realized I prefer my socca be made in a 10in sized pan, which Lori has, so I decided to try making socca in my 10in non-stick skillet.

And it works…like one giant pancake. I put the oil down in pan, heated it up (medium high, around 6-7) and waited to the sides started forming before I flipped it! And it worked!!!

sept blog 2010 744

sept blog 2010 735

sept blog 2010 743

sept blog 2010 746

Slice up

sept blog 2010 747

Top with lettuce

sept blog 2010 748

Roll it up

sept blog 2010 750

Remember our 1st socca wrap failure…well this works so much better ;)

sept blog 2010 752

Sooo goooooood!

sept blog 2010 757

We have already enjoyed some earlier this week, and looking forward to make more!

sept blog 2010 762

Pure2raw Recipe: Skillet socca

• 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
  • 1 cup water
  • pinch or two of sea salt
  • 2 tbsp oil (we use mostly coconut oil, but have done olive oil)

Whisk together in a bowl in pour into hot oiled skillet.

We added fresh rosemary to our batter too!

sept blog 2010 763

Enjoy!

Have  a great day!

So glad everyone enjoyed our culinary journey. Don’t forget voting starts today.

Michelle

Pure2raw twins

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 20, 2010 at 6:31 am

Your socca always looks so good! YUM! Have a great week ladies!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 20, 2010 at 6:36 am

Oooh, I was checking out your BIG socca post last night!! I so want to try this!

Sarah September 20, 2010 at 7:00 am

Oh yes, I’m making it this way. YUM! Thanks for sharing, girls!

Kenzie (Healthy Purpose) September 20, 2010 at 7:19 am

voting for you guys, I’m a contestant too!

Love the socco–it looks like easy ingredients, a wee bit complicated, but very delicious!

Little Bookworm September 20, 2010 at 7:36 am

Sounds like a great way to make socca. Thanks again for creating the brownie recipe I made today – they are fantastic! (and in response to your comment on my blog – the cherry porridge is definitely amazing especially with dried cherries.) :)

Gillian Young September 20, 2010 at 7:53 am

Thanks for stopping by my blog! This socca looks incredible!!! I want to make so many things with it! Thank you!

melissa @ the delicate place September 20, 2010 at 8:46 am

that looks soooooo good! can you make socca with almond or coconut flour? or is it a chickpea only kinda thing? i’m gluten and dairy free and def interested in expanding my “creations”

Pure2 September 20, 2010 at 9:06 am

Melissa – if you want ethnic socca then yes it is chickpea based, but of course you can use whatever flour you would like, it might come out a little different.

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan September 20, 2010 at 9:08 am

Love how simple this recipe is! And it’s gluten-free too!? Perfect. We will def be making a socca soon.

Katie September 20, 2010 at 9:31 am

Seriously, your socca kills me every time.

Christine (The Raw Project) September 20, 2010 at 10:02 am

This looks wonderful, I can’t wait to try it. I haven’t worked with garbanzo bean flour yet and this would be a great way to start. Thanks!

hihorosie September 20, 2010 at 1:08 pm

The Socca Queens! Looks great! I need to make some more soon. ;)

emma September 20, 2010 at 3:02 pm

That socca looks particularly scrumptious lovelies! x x x

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty January 1, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I can’t do it!!!!!!!! hahaha… I tried again, and it turned into a big fat mess.

Pure2 January 1, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Oh no Jessica…what happened? It takes some time getting it just right before flipping it. Sometimes we still mess up but it still always taste great even if it is not the prettiest LOL One idea is doing one cup garbanzo bean flour to one cup water, sometimes doing equal amounts works better :) Let me know if there is anything else!!!

Meagan January 10, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I just wanted to share a link that I found today.. it’s a recipe for Living Without’s version of socca – looks pretty good. Made me think of this blog! http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/gluten_free_chickpea_vegetable_crostini-2261-1.html

Pure2 January 10, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Thanks Meagan for sharing this link with us.

Christy March 13, 2011 at 7:44 pm

hi! I tried it out the basic socca recipe today with 1:1 ratio and 1tsp of salt. for some reason, i found it very salty! i used an 8×8 baking dish. do you think using a baking dish is the problem?

Pure2 March 14, 2011 at 4:22 am

Christy – you can do 1/2 tsp salt. The salt depends on how much batter you make and personal preference. Using a baking dish should not be a problem, just make sure your oil is hot before you put the batter in. We have other socca recipes that our baked on our site. Let me know if you have any other questions.

astrorainfall April 25, 2011 at 5:43 am

I know I’m so late to the party for this post but I really wanted to let you know I tried this recipe and I loved it! I put avocado slices on the rosemary socca and it was so delish. I had been looking for a bread/pancake replacement for a long time (raw bread/flax crackers don’t do it for me and sort stopped consuming these on a regular basis) – and this is fabulous! I paired with a bowl of veggie white bean soup and it was so satisfying without the evil gluten. Thank you for sharing this, you guys ;-)

Crysta May 14, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I just made this today! So yummy, but something about all the oil in it and seeing it makes me think its bad for me. I used coconut oil….but have you ever tried making socca with 1 T or oil instead of 2T? I wanted to eat WAY too much of this. :)

Pure2 May 15, 2011 at 5:56 am

Crysta yes you could use less oil, just might change the texture a bit. As the oil helps cook it. But I understand what you mean.

noemi June 1, 2011 at 2:45 am

do you know how many calories this has?

Kat August 27, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I just made some skillet socca and added in some chopped scallion. While it was delish, it was tough to know when it was ready to be flipped. What level heat do you use under the skillet, and how long do you generally let it cook before you flip? Thanks for introducing me to something new! I can’t wait to try the dessert socca!

Pure2 August 27, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Kat when the sides start to form, pull away from the pan, it is ready to be flipped. It took us awhile to get use to filliping it. We have medium high heat usually for the first side, and then we flip we turn it down to medium. Let me know know if you have any questions. glad you enjoyed it!

Annmarie September 20, 2011 at 3:01 am

LOVE THIS!!! Great alternative to bread AND scrambled eggs! If only I could get the rest of the fam to hop on the train! ;) Thank you ladies <3

Stephanie December 12, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Hi, Lori & Michelle!
I’m a recent socca convert (tried before, didn’t like it; but now i know lots of oil is the key to flavor!), but I’m having some difficulty making them. I now don’t have problem with the batter sticking on the pan, but I have a problem flipping. It breaks every time I try to flip, and I always end up with socca scramble. Any tips? thnx!!

Jennifer February 8, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Having trouble getting this to turn out! It’s really good but always turns out a mess when I go to flip it. Instead of looking like a pancake it’s a bunch of lumps. :(

Lori and Michelle February 8, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Sorry about that, what ratio are you doing? It works best doing 1 cup garbanzo bean flour to 1 cup water. and letting that cook for awhile before flipping it. hope that helps

Scrapper July 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I tried to make this skillet socca and failed miserably. It fell apart :( I still ate it though, it was delicious and the rosemary was an excellent idea. I tried the buckwheat and garbanzo bean flour socca too and it turned out perfect! I used it as the base for a goat cheese, basil, and nectarine pizza. It was DELICIOUS! Thank you so much for introducing me to Socca! NOM NOM NOM!!! :D

Lori and Michelle July 19, 2012 at 7:43 am

Awesome glad you enjoyed it!!