Socca Soft Serve Ice Cream Stack

by Lori and Michelle on September 12, 2010

Hello luvs,

Today we have another socca meal to share with you all. We have received a lot of questions about freezing socca. Well to be honest we have never tried… until last night. Michelle and I made our socca last night and froze it.

Here is what we did:

• 1 1/4 cups garbanzo bean flour
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • couple pinches of salt

Preheated oven at 400 degrees.

Place 3 tbsp oil in 10 inch pan and placed in oven to warm up for 4 minutes.

Took pan out of hot oven and poured socca batter on top.

Placed back in the oven to bake for 40 minutes.

Once done, let cool completely.

Cut socca in half and placed in freezer safe bag.

To thaw  your socca:

Re-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Place frozen socca on pan and re-heat for 8-10 minutes.

sept blog 2010 633 Also today we decided to make ice cream in our new ice cream maker and enjoy it with our socca. **For those of you who are new to socca. I became obsessed with it when I was in southern France and ever since than I have enjoyed it many many times! Socca is basically a garbanzo bean based flatbread. If you like garbanzo beans than you will love it ;)

Me in Nice, France with my first ever socca! Changed my life forever!

Pure2Raw Recipe: Fig Purple Basil Ginger Ice Cream (gluten free, dairy free, soy free)

Ingredients:

• 1 cup liquid of choice ( we used homemade pumpkin seed milk)
  • 2 cups fresh figs
  • 1 tbsp sunflower lecithin
  • 5 drops stevia
  • 1/2 cup purple basil
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger (you could use freshly grated ginger too)

Place all ingredients into Vita-Mix and blend till smooth and creamy. You may alter the sweetness or flavor to your liking!

sept blog 2010 568 We just made a small batch of pumpkin seed milk; not your typical way of making raw milks. But it did the job ;) Did 2 tbsp soaked and rinsed pumpkin seeds with 1 cup water. We have made pumpkin seed milk before.

sept blog 2010 570

sept blog 2010 573

sept blog 2010 574

Slice the fresh figs

sept blog 2010 575sept blog 2010 592

Grab your basil

sept blog 2010 601

Start placing everything into Vita-Mix.

sept blog 2010 604

sept blog 2010 609

Blend!

sept blog 2010 614 ahhhh purple

Pour ice cream batter into ice cream maker and sit and wait till you have ice cream!

sept blog 2010 620

sept blog 2010 627 We were impatient so we our ice cream was more of a soft serve ;)

sept blog 2010 667

Putting the whole dish together:

We decided to make stacks out of our socca today with ice cream being our filling in between the layers.

Time to build!

sept blog 2010 638

sept blog 2010 640

sept blog 2010 642

sept blog 2010 644

sept blog 2010 648

sept blog 2010 651

sept blog 2010 653

sept blog 2010 655

sept blog 2010 656

sept blog 2010 661

sept blog 2010 665

DEVOUR!

sept blog 2010 675Socca turned out to be a little bit on the crispy side therefore we enjoyed our stack one layer at a time using the best utensil… our hands!

Pure2Raw Twins

Little Bookworm September 12, 2010 at 2:33 pm

The ice cream sounds a really interesting flavour. Love the socca!

Lauren September 12, 2010 at 3:04 pm

A-mazing!!!!!!!! YUM!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 12, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Food is so much fun! It looks great ladies! Chickpeas are really little gifts from heaven. LOVE them! Have a great night!

Pure2 September 12, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Sarena yes they are!!! :)

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan September 12, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Wow this is a very creative use for socca! You guys are always so innovative! My twin and I also run a vegan/raw blog. Coincidence? lol Thanks for sharing your adventures!:)

emma September 12, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Wow! Cool ice cream flavour! x x x

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries September 12, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I want to try socca sooo badly! And this ice cream treat looks amaaazing! Are you guys in Charlotte or Raleigh now? I’m in CH for the school year and if you are at nearby farmer’s markets I’d love to come visit!

Ilana September 12, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Socca ice cream cake! I want this! It looks ahhhmazing!! Now I can’t wait for my figs to turn ripe on my tree … will make this asap!!

Rachael September 12, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Glad socca is getting some attention – such a simple, amazing food. And your ice cream flavor is truly inspired – I love herbal-fruit concoctions!

Katie September 12, 2010 at 6:17 pm

My roommates and I in college had a campaign we called “No Utensils til Brooklyn” after the Beastie Boys song. Your meal would have been perfect for us!

Sarah @Gluten-free tries Vegan September 13, 2010 at 12:19 am

Oh my word, amazing! Will you make one for me :)

Katey (Bonne Santé) September 13, 2010 at 4:16 am

I really think it’s about time I tried making socca of my own, and what better inspiration than a socca/ice cream tower! Sold!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) September 13, 2010 at 5:49 am

I’m so glad you explained what socca was… I was so confused. In fact, I am new to so many of the ingredients you use… what a great place for me to expand my food knowledge :) I love reading about what you make!

Pure2 September 13, 2010 at 10:58 am

Aww thanks Brittany! You are so sweet. I thought I better discuss more about what socca is since some new people may not exactly know :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 13, 2010 at 5:59 am

Ahhh I still really need to make socca!! I have the flour but haven’t had a good chance to make it recently…I always have too many fruits and veggies about to go bad on hand! Love it with the purple ice cream though :) Hope you ladies have a wonderful start to your week!!

Kenzie (Healthy Purpose) September 13, 2010 at 9:08 am

wowzers!! great recipe. thanks so much. i love the idea of a savory ice cream!

Lori September 14, 2010 at 11:49 am

Do you realize how crazy good that looks? I LOVE basil as a smoothie… ice cream basil flavored would be absolutely amazing. I must must must make this! Great idea!