Successful sprouted chickpea flatbread

by michelle on October 25, 2010

Hey friends,

Remember yesterday we showed you some photos of our sprouted chickpeas.

DSC_0117.JPG

Well today we made sprouted chickpea SOCCA!!! And it worked

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

Yes we shelled each one ; ) Took some time…but we feel worth it.

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

We threw the sprouted chickpeas into food processor.

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

Failed!

So then we placed them into Vita-mix.

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

Love my Vita-mix. It can do anything ; )

DSC_0038.JPG

Grind the sprouted chickpeas into flour. Success!!

DSC_0043.JPG

Did not take long at all, although it did not get very fine like the kind you buy in the bags at the stores. But still works.

DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

Beautiful

DSC_0055.JPG

DSC_0119.JPG

DSC_0141.JPG

DSC_0140.JPG

DSC_0131.JPG

Do I have you drooling yet?

Mouth-watering maybe?

DSC_0162.JPG

DSC_0166.JPG DSC_0167.JPG

DSC_0171.JPG

DSC_0172.JPG

DSC_0175.JPG

Seriously one of the best soccas we have made! And you know we have made a lot ; ) Sure is hard for us to pick our top favorite socca recipes….

But this is the easiest, healthiest bread you will ever make. well, in our opinion…Minus the part peeling off the shells, haha.

DSC_0181.JPG

DSC_0183.JPG

DSC_0186.JPG

This socca did have a slightly different texture due to the sprouted chickpeas, but the flavor was still great! And knowing it is from sprouted flour makes our tummies even more happier.

Twin Question: You all know I am going to Foodbuzz Blogger Festival, and I was thinking about getting some new boots. I have a few pairs, but wanted to see what you all like about boots? What do you feel is the best boot? Short or high boots? Color? Material?

Now go make you some socca for dinner, like us!!

Michelle

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan October 25, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I think you guys have finally convinced us to make socca! I don’t know if I have the patience to sprout and peel chick peas but I will be buying a bag of chick pea flour and trying this. And as always we are so happy you guys don’t put xantham gum or “sketchiness” in it :)

Pure2 October 25, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Jennifer and Jaclyn that is the best part about making socca, it is like bread plus you do not need those extra ingredients that you need in other gluten free baking! :) Love it!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 25, 2010 at 2:05 pm

That looks amazing…like pizza! Question, why did you peel them. Just curious. I used to do the same thing with my mung bean sprouts and then looked into it and a lot of the nutrition is in the skin. Not that it is wrong, I was just wondering. I failed big time the last time I sprouted chickpeas, so I want to try again now. Oh and yet another reason I want to get a Vitamix.

Pure2 October 25, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Sarena, good question. We just peeled them to see if it was easier on our tummies, plus the skin was already coming off the garbanzo beans after we were done dehydrating so we just continued to peel them off. Next time we will leave the skins on and see how we do. Yes our first time sprouting chickpeas was not a pretty site, but after a few times of trying we think we have the process done. We shall see ;) LOL

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg October 25, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Shelling all those chickpeas– now THAT is dedication! It looks totally worth it though :-)

Ana October 25, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Omg, this socca looks amazing, look at the golden brown and delicious crust!
Ana

bitt October 25, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Wow, good job on the socca. Chris has made bread from sprouted quinoa and it’s good stuff but time consuming.

Have fun at Foodbuzz! If you want cruelty-free shoes, here is a good link: mooshoes.com

Pure2 October 25, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Thanks Bitt. I will check the link out!

emma October 25, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Hey sweeties! Sorry I haven’t commented for a while. Have missed you! That looks like the best socca ever! Seriously I need u as my personal chefs! xoxo

Katey @ Bonne Sante October 25, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Wow, mouth watering much?!
Can you just ‘fry’ Socca in a skillet instead of baking? This is what i’ve been doing because my oven is terrible, but I feel like I just end up with a glorified pancake! Ha, no complaints though, so yummy!

Pure2 October 25, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Katey – yes we do our socca in the skillet. It works just fine.

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) October 25, 2010 at 4:16 pm

You girlies are REALLY making me want to try this stuff! Is there any other flour (like coconut or peanut) that might give a similar texture? Haha, I’m heading overseas next semester and trying to polish off my pantry.

Oh, I’m SO glad you are going to FoodBuzz Fest! We HAVE to meet! You girls have the sweetest voices on your blog; I’d love to meet you all in person!

Pure2 October 25, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Mimi – we have never tried it with any other flours, mainly because we just love the taste of garbanzo flour. But I am sure it would work with others, just would give it a different texture and/or taste. Studying abroad?? Jealous, have fun! And yes see you at foodbuzz!

Lori October 25, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I’m definitely drooling… wow. LOOOOOOOVE the camera! And the socca- of course!

I want to see you when you come to SF!

Pure2 October 25, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Lori – yes!!! I am so sorry I did not get a chance to call you this past weekend!!

Alex October 25, 2010 at 5:43 pm

So pretty! So time consuming! So yummy! ;)

carrie October 25, 2010 at 5:49 pm

My mouth IS watering from your photos – luckily my package from Twincakes arrived today so I can indulged in your delicious treats! Thank you :)

Pure2 October 25, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Yay Carrie :) Glad they got there for you to indulge!!! xoxo

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 25, 2010 at 6:29 pm

You girls are amazing- I can’t believe how much time and creativity goes into your recipes!

I have Frye boots and I absolutely LOVE them. They’re pricey, but if you shop around on eBay or discount sites you can find them for a decent price. The leather is gorgeous, they’re comfy and they come in all sorts of styles!

So excited to meet you at FB!! xoxo

Pure2 October 25, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Same here Gabriela!!! It is going to be so much fun!!! Thanks for the boot tips ;)

MarathonVal October 25, 2010 at 7:52 pm

So jealous that you get to go to FB… wish I was going so I could meet you and everyone else! You should come to Chicago instead :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 25, 2010 at 9:55 pm

first the PHOTOGRAPHY in this post went from good to OFF THE CHARTS amazing. your new camera is worth it’s weight in gold, just in this post alone. Omg i can SEE really SEE the food in all its glory!

foodbuzzz…bring the boots girl! whatever kind you want. it will be chilly there so you can go wrong with higher ones. :) Whatever you wear youll look amazing!!!

How dressy are you getting on Sat nite? I have a two option, dressy and really dressy. Nothing casual for me…wanst planning on it at least…what about you?

Pure2 October 26, 2010 at 4:14 am

Thanks Averie! I have been loving my new camera :) I have one pair of high boots I was planning on bringing, now for Saturday night, I plan to be dressy I am not sure if it is really dressy. It is dress. I will send you an email about more specifics. M

Katie October 25, 2010 at 10:02 pm

You two need to open a socca stand!

Pure2 October 26, 2010 at 4:13 am

Katie, we just might do that ;)

Kenzie (Healthy Purpose) October 26, 2010 at 8:49 am

YUM! and so easy. I’ve been meaning to make my own sprouted flour. Here’s a reason to!

veganlisa October 26, 2010 at 9:49 am

Wow…I can tell you are loving your new camera. I have the Nikon D5000 and I’m still trying to figure out all of the tricks.

Thank you for sharing such a great recipes. After learning all the nutritional benefits of sprouting I try to incorporate sprouts in as many ways as possible.

I have bought a few pairs of Franco Sarto boots. They are comfortable and beautiful. I’ve always found vegan ones in his line that I love. I like tall boots in black and/or brown because they are so versatile.

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin October 26, 2010 at 11:46 am

That socca looks amazing!! I really need to try it! (don’t think I’d have the patience to peel all those chickpeas, though!) I love the way the Vita-Mix can pulverize anything!

My very favorite boots are made by Frye– they are a bit pricey, but they last FOREVER and totally mold to your foot, so they are really comfy! I used to waitress in mine for 10 hours a day! There are a million styles available… just make sure you break them in a bit before wearing them for a full day straight!

hihorosie October 26, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Woo hoo! Wtg on the sprouted chickpea socca! Looks amazing! Very drool-worthy. ;)

And I like high boots. I don’t have any but they’d be the ones I’d choose. Can’t wait to see what you’re all wearing!

Kari October 26, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I love, love Socca. About six months ago, I sprouted garbanzo beans and then just added the sprouted beans, water, salt, pepper, and lemon to the vita-mix to form a batter and then poured it into a skillet to make the socca. It smelled much stronger than when using the flour, but it still tasted amazing, and it is much easier than making it into flour.

Katie October 27, 2010 at 6:23 am

I LOVE socca! I had it when I was in Nice in March, and there’s a restaurant in the city, Nizza, which also makes one. But to make it from home?! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Pure2 October 27, 2010 at 7:04 am

Katie – yes I had socca for the first time in Nice too! That is when I feel in love with it, and made it as soon as I got back, and not cannot get enough of it!

Lauren October 27, 2010 at 8:07 am

Wowza! That looks soooo good!!!!!!! I love Socca!!! :) Thanks for introducing me to it! XO

Ela October 27, 2010 at 12:37 pm

My mom and I used to peel chickpeas when we would make hummus together when I was a kid. They’d be peeling off anyway, it just seemed right to take them off, and it improved the texture, I think.

Those pictures are just out of this world – camera must be awesome, and expertly used as well!

I wear boots just about all the time (it’s cold in Alaska, haha! And if I wear regular shoes my ankles turn and I fall over!) I wear North Face insulated boots – they’re kind of big and chunky and not styley, but they look pretty nice for how warm they are, and they are super-comfortable.

Have a wonderful time at Food Buzz.

Caleb November 29, 2010 at 11:55 am

Whoa, this looks AMAZING. Seems it would make a great raw pizza crust. I’m definitely trying this one out. Most raw crusts ive tried are too hard, this looks light and fluffly!

Priscilla December 8, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Hi!! Since I saw this post I’ve been wanting to ask you something…
First let me tel you this looks amazing and I’ve been craving socca since one of your first socca posts, but I went 100% raw for a year until a few weeks when I decided life is too short to be so hermetic and decided to relax with my rawness.. Anyways, I’m allergic to chickpeas do you think there’s another option of making socca? Like using another “flour” like almond or something like that?
Love your blog, I follow you DAILY haha..
Have a great day!

Pure2 December 8, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Priscilla, glad you enjoy our blog and all the socca love ;) Sorry you to hear you are allergic to chickpeas. Now for using others flours instead of chickpeas can work to a point. Using other legumes or flours will provide just a different flavor and texture compared to what chickpea does. I know some others have used lentils and mung beans and had some success. Just play around with it. We hope to play around with new ‘flours’ to see what happens. I am assuming you may need more or less oil and cook times may vary with different flours. I hope this helps!
The Twins

Steph December 31, 2010 at 3:17 am

To make the chickpea flour in your VitaMix did you use the “dry blade”?

Pure2 December 31, 2010 at 6:19 am

Steph – you can use the dry blade, we do not have one. We used the regular Vita-mix blender that we use to make everything, like smoothies.

Lynna January 15, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Just tried Socca for the first time with an adaption of this recipe and it was great! Here’s the link to my post if you’re interested: http://amourpetitgateau.blogspot.com/2011/01/skillet-socca.html

I can’t wait to try some of your other versions. Thanks for the recipe!

Helena January 27, 2011 at 5:52 am

Wow! This recipe looks so tasty, I’m going to have to make some!! Does it work with commercial chickpea flour or do you definately need to sprout and grind your own? I can see Mexican inspired flavours to serve with it…a fresh tomato salsa, avocado and spicy beans. Thank you for sharing :)

Pure2 January 27, 2011 at 5:58 am

Helena – we have a whole page about how to make socca http://www.pure2raw.com/socca-tribute/ You can use chickpea flour from the store, we do that too. Enjoy!

kate@ahealthypassion February 20, 2011 at 2:25 pm

yum I have been wanting to try socca for awhile now im excited this looks awesome!

Pure2 February 20, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Thanks Kate!!

GABS March 6, 2011 at 11:05 am

I’m a little confused about what to do with the oil. My first attempt, I just blended it right in with the chickpea flour and water mixture and baked in the oven. It was great as a pizza crust. This morning I tried to put the oil in the pan and then poured my chickpea, water, mixture in over the oil. The oil came up over the sides of the batter – is that right? I didn’t think it was so I poured it all back into my blender and blended together.

Thanks for the clarification!

Pure2 March 6, 2011 at 11:35 am

Gabs either way is fine. We typically put oil in the pan and pour batter on top, and yes the oil comes over the sides which is fine. But if adding oil in the batter has been working for you that is fine too! Just have fun with it ;)

Jessica March 28, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I’m confused by this. I thought this was a raw foods site?

Pure2 March 28, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Jessica, we eat a mostly high raw diet but have learned that our bodies like a balance of a few ‘cooked’ items. It is what our bodies do best with at the moment, we are huge believers in raw foods and will always be.

Jessica March 28, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Oh, okay. This is my first time to your site and I just assumed it was all raw. Thank you for your reply!

Pure2 March 28, 2011 at 1:20 pm

No worries!

Yosha July 22, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Hello! I am just looking into sprouting and I am wondering if this is a special kind of chickpea? Can it be just the chickpea you buy at the grocery store?

thanks!

Pure2 July 23, 2011 at 7:05 am

Yosha you should be able to sprout ones found in bags or bulk sections of health food stores. You do not want canned. Let me know if you need anything else.

Shannon March 1, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Hi gals!
I just found your site today and I am amazed at the detail of your socca trials! I had sprouted my chickpeas for another recipe and had extra, so decided to look for more – my search led me to your site.

I didn’t want to dehydrate the chickpeas (the other recipe asked for soaked, sprouted, cooked chickpeas) so I put these in the food processor with onion, parsley, garlic, rosemary and dandelion leaves (just a few) and decided to cook it in the oven. That is where it is now and it smells wonderful!

I can pass along the recipe to you if it turns out well….

Keep up the great site!
Shannon

Lynda September 29, 2012 at 3:20 am

Hi girls!
Good news, i´ve been experimenting in my kitchen with socca, thanks to all of your posts, and decided to give it a try. But i decided soaking the chickpeas overnight, just cause i know they are easier to digest and has a more alkaline effect. So in the morning i drain them, put them on a blender with some salt, spices (cumin, garlic powder, curry, pepper) a teaspoon of baking soda, add a good amount of water and made the batter from it, didnt know what to expect. I put the a scoop of the batter and spread it into a baking pizza tray and baked them for about 20 minutes. Well, to my surprise….Succes!!!!!
Not only that, its flufflier, kind of a spongy texture bread… i added some olive oil to the edges for just so it gets a toasted crust. And it is delicious!.. Aditionally you can blend to the batter whatever fresh herbs you´ve got. So, no longer you´ll have to spend big bucks on chickpea flour or spend so much time in the process of sprouting and dehydrating the chickpeas. I hope you try it. And thanks again for introducing me into this very tasty dish.

Patty Jo November 9, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Did you use the dry blade blender that Vita-Mix makes. This looks like the standard
blender which I didn’t think was adequate to grind things into flour. I can’t wait to
try your recipe. Please let me know. I have both blenders and don’t want to screw it
up. Thank you so very much!!!

Lori and Michelle November 15, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Patty we do not have the dry blade blender.