Gluten Free and Vegan Pumpkin Baked Cake Donuts

by Lori and Michelle on November 22, 2010

Remember when Lori and I mentioned that we were working on a pumpkin donut recipe to share with you all. Lori and I wanted to create a recipe that was easy to follow and we wanted the recipe to be gluten free, dairy free, egg free, soy free, and yeast free!

Lori and I wanted a soft, flavorful baked donut! We have been making a few different versions at our bakery that we sell at the farmers markets. Making the ‘best’ allergy friendly donut was not an easy task.  But one challenge we were ready for!

We have been playing around with sooooo many recipes to try to make the best gluten free vegan cake donut! We were looking for a recipe to be easy, light and airy texture, and have good flavor.

We hope you like this pumpkin baked cake donut as much as we do!!!

Twin Cakes Recipes

Directions how WE make our gluten free vegan baked donuts: DSC_0010

Add in coconut sugar, pumpkin puree, coconut oil into a bowl

DSC_0012

Begin stirring ingredients

DSC_0013

Add in dry and stir

DSC_0019

End with stirring in the buttermilk ( again we make our own)

DSC_0024

Get piping bag ready to fill

DSC_0026

DSC_0027

Get ready to pipe donut batter into donut pan

DSC_0035

Now for the fun part

DSC_0036

*note: you do not have to pipe them into pan, but it does help with shape (we have noticed)

DSC_0038 The donut pan we got from Amazon (not affiliate link).  I think I know what everyone’s Christmas present will be these year.

Pumpkin donuts ready to go into oven – bake at 350 degrees!

DSC_0042

Bake these little guys for about 16-20 minutes. Pop donuts out of pan and let cool a little bit before glazing. Note: these donuts will be a little delicate when coming out of the pan.

M - nov pics 364

Time to glaze up..as you can see we did all different donut coatings.

For our pumpkin coating, we took our easy pumpkin butter and added some coconut milk and a little confectioner sugar and mixed around till it form a simple glaze

M - nov pics 054

M - nov pics 421

Taste great covered in cinnamon and sugar.

DSC_0143

We also made some of our pumpkin baked donuts dipped in regular sugar frosting glaze.  *we just combined our corn free confectioner sugar with a little coconut milk

M - nov pics 386 Time to finally eat these mouthwatering glorious donuts!!!

Taste test – PERFECT!!!

Lori and I were very pleased with these gluten free baked pumpkin donuts. They came out soft, moist, flavorful, and a light spongy texture. We hope you go out and give these donuts a try this holiday season for you and your family. And let us know how you liked them!

Twins Question: Are you a glazed, cinnamon sugar, chocolate, or jam filled donut person?

Have you ever had donut muffin before?

Michelle

Pure2raw Twin

sarah@sarahnotsoplainandtall November 22, 2010 at 7:41 am

I LOVE pumpkin!!!!!!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather November 22, 2010 at 7:42 am

You 2 are geniuses, seriously! I’m so putting a donut pan on my christmas list.

Let me know if you try out day 1 of the burpee blast challenge. I ended up doing 36 during the 8 minutes.

Pure2 November 22, 2010 at 7:47 am

Heather that is awesome :) Yes I will let you know how it goes for us!!

Jackie (ananda prana) November 22, 2010 at 7:48 am

You two are baking geniuses :) Amazing! I’m a fan of cinnamon sugar anything… :)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] November 22, 2010 at 7:49 am

oh my goodness, those look amazing. I have wanted a donut pan for a while but now I NEED one! :)

I like cake donuts the best with a good glaze.

Pure2 November 22, 2010 at 8:05 am

Teri our donut pan has changed our love of baked donuts :) They are so much fun to make now!!!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin November 22, 2010 at 8:28 am

Those donuts looks amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! I need to get my hands on a donut pan ASAP…

My favorite donuts have always been cake-like donuts with a glaze– esp. Pumpkin Spice donuts from Krispy Kreme!! (kinda glad I don’t live near one during this season…) LOL ;)

Lauren November 22, 2010 at 9:24 am

Holy crap, I need these! :)

Faith November 22, 2010 at 9:51 am

What temperature did you bake the donuts at? That pan is definitely going on my Christmas list!

Pure2 November 22, 2010 at 10:13 am

Faith we baked at 350 degrees. I will go back and update the post/recipe! thanks

Christy November 22, 2010 at 10:20 am

Thank you! I’ve been sad not being able to buy them at the farmer’s market so I guess I’ll head out to the store soon to buy some ingredients. But first, I need to make a quick online trip over to Amazon!

Pure2 November 22, 2010 at 10:25 am

Sorry Christy we have not been at the markets with these delicious pumpkin donuts!! Hope you enjoy the recipe :)

veganlisa November 22, 2010 at 10:26 am

These sound fantastic and your photos in this post are spectacular. I hope you’re both having a brilliant Monday.

xo

Amanda November 22, 2010 at 10:48 am

these look amazing! how do you make your buttermilk?

Pure2 November 22, 2010 at 11:23 am

Amanda – do about 2 cups coconut milk to 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar for our buttermilk.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 22, 2010 at 11:21 am

Oh perfect! I love making doughnuts too! I don’t like anything on them, but the boys love a good glaze.

Damaris @Kitchen Corners November 22, 2010 at 12:27 pm

the glaze with coconut looks so good. what a neat idea. thanks for sharing.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 22, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Oh my YUM!! These look fantastic, and I’m not even a donut person!! When I was little, eating them always left my hands super sticky, and I HATED sticky hands. I feel like if there were more vegan donuts readily available today, I’d be much more of a donut fan…since now I can wipe my own hands :)

Alex November 22, 2010 at 2:52 pm

These look gorgeous! I bet they sell like hot cakes ;)

bitt November 22, 2010 at 3:06 pm

These look amazing! I saw a donut pan at the store the other day…I was tempted! Thanks for the recipe!

Katie November 22, 2010 at 4:19 pm

How did you guys know that I just borrowed my neighbors donut pan?!?!

Amanda November 22, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Thanks for the tip! We have a mighty-o in Seattle, but it is definitely not GF, just vegan. So I will def be trying these out for the holidays. Once I get my hands on a donut mold…

Ela November 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I remember having donuts at Chanukkah in Israel before gluten free, and not liking them very much! But then when I was older I had an occasional (gut-killing) one and loved it. Thank you so much for creating such a delicious-sounding and non-allergenic recipe. I’ve pretty much given up on baked goods for myself, but my husband’s daughter (who’s older than me!) has food sensitivities that I’m always trying to cater to.

Will it work just as well without the special donut pan?

Pure2 November 22, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Ela, if you just pipe the batter on a cookie sheet, it unfortunately does not turn out as well. Though you could use a muffin pan and they would be more like donut muffins ;)

emma November 22, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I’m sooo excited to try ths recipe :-) thankyou for being fab!!! x x x

emma November 22, 2010 at 4:58 pm

oh and what would you recommend as the best alternative to sorghum flour….i’ve never heard of or seen that over here x x x

Pure2 November 22, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Emma, I would suggest brown rice flour if you do not have sorghum flour. HUGS

lynn @ the actors diet November 22, 2010 at 5:26 pm

i’ve always loved jelly donuts. why don’t they make them pb & j?!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 22, 2010 at 6:40 pm

these look amazing! It can be so hard to get GF vegan baked goods to get and stay fluffy and light, moist, not dry, etc…you look like you succeeded!! Im sure your family will be begging for more :)

Christine (The Raw Project) November 22, 2010 at 7:45 pm

You two are seriously amazing, this looks awesome! My hubby would go nuts over these, I’ve gotta try them! Thanks!

I’m more or a chocolate person.

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries November 22, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Oh. my. goodness. These look phenomenal!! I’m a cinnamon sugar girl :)

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) November 22, 2010 at 9:51 pm

These are beautiful! You have a very lucky family. :)

Eden November 22, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Great, now my keyboard has drool over it! I like chocolate glazed, but I’m also a suck for doughnut holes. I guess i feel less guilty eating them but I probably end up eating more!

Pure2 November 23, 2010 at 4:43 am

Eden – yes doughnut holes are great!! We have not tried making those yet.

jodye @ 'scend food November 22, 2010 at 11:40 pm

These donuts look wonderful! I’ve been wanting to make a baked donut for a while now, but haven’t found anything that struck me until now. I’ll certainly be making these soon!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) November 23, 2010 at 7:24 am

Those look amazing!! Where do you get such a fun donut pan?

Pure2 November 23, 2010 at 8:11 am

Brittany – amazon!! ;) Amazon has just about anything, haha

Lori November 23, 2010 at 10:41 am

Holy Moly! Thank you so much for this recipe! Can’t wait to try it out! Sounds wonderful!
I made the scones from your dry mix this weekend- so good!! I posted pictures yesterday. They turned out great and the pictures were great too. ;)

Pure2 November 23, 2010 at 11:03 am

Lori – yes we saw your post!! The scones look great : ) a favorite in our house.

bitt November 23, 2010 at 5:09 pm

found this on CSN stores: http://www.csnstores.com/Fox-Run-Craftsmen-4495-FRU1087.html

good thing I have credit there!

Pure2 November 23, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Yes Bitt go buy that and enjoy yourself some donuts :) xoxo

hihorosie November 23, 2010 at 8:55 pm

You girls have done it again! They look amazing!

elise November 24, 2010 at 11:41 am

i think i need a donut pan!

bitt of raw December 12, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Not sure if you got my email about this. I had trouble with the recipe…

Inositol December 18, 2010 at 6:05 pm

I think I just found my new favorite website on raw foods. (Normally making raw foods is difficult due to the lack of ideas) you two make it so much easier (and tasty) to make and eat raw food.
Thank you.

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 5, 2011 at 12:46 pm

These look amazing!! Healthy doughnuts–amazing!

Ashley January 12, 2011 at 11:15 pm

droooool. :)

lauren January 14, 2011 at 12:43 pm

these look heavenly. i just posted them on my facebook and i think a trip to the store to get pumpkin is necessary now.

Lori August 31, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I didn’t have pumpkin in the house so I used sweet potato puree instead and they still turned out kid approved!! fantastic recipe. They were all gone in a few days.

Katie October 23, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I made these yesterday. They are wonderful! Although, our dough did come out a bit thin, even after we added extra flour. They are also the best right out of the oven with a little bit of glaze and a sprinkle of cinnamon!

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com October 23, 2011 at 9:49 pm

It is such a nice Halloween treat! Thank you for posting!

Christina October 27, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Made these tonight. Didn’t turn out well. I didn’t have brown rice flour so threw some brown rice in the dry container of my vitamix. Used that. I also made some homemade coconut milk (shredded coconut blended with hot water and strained–delish!) and used that for the buttermilk. They turned out kinda spongy and gelly inside. And they are pretty flat. Not cakey at all. Was thinking maybe a rising issue….maybe my coconut milk didn’t yield good “buttermilk”? Any thoughts?? I plan on trying all your donut recipes so I hope I can figure out what I’m doing wrong.

Lori and Michelle October 27, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Christina, grinding rice up is going to provide a different texture than rice flour. And never made our buttermilk like that, so could be an issue. Make sure you add about 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar to 1 cup coconut milk. We have never done these changes you have made, so we are not sure what happened. If following the rest of the recipe, maybe omit brown rice and up the sorghum flour. Or use 2 tbsp flaxmeal for the brown rice. And maybe reduce your coconut oil. You want the batter to be semi thick, not runny. Hope this helps. Let us know what else we can help with.

Joi February 16, 2012 at 9:09 am

I was searching for vegan donut recipes and became excited when led to your site from Sweetly Raw. Although the pictures look absolutely divine, I have to question what made you state these are vegan. The use of eggs and buttermilk negate the catergorizing these as vegan.

Lori and Michelle February 16, 2012 at 9:18 am

Joi these pumpkin baked donuts are vegan there are no eggs in the recipe and for the buttermilk we make our own using coconut milk (which we list in the recipe) so that keeps them vegan as well. Most of our donuts on our site are vegan (we always make our own buttermilk from coconut), though lately we have been making non-vegan donuts. We try to show people that you can enjoy both for vegans and non-vegans. we try to let people know about substitutions and let them decide how they want to make the recipe.

Erin February 24, 2012 at 3:54 pm

These look amazing and I can’t wait to try them! I saw that you are corn free and was wondering if you could tell me where you get your xanthan gum. We are avoiding corn and soy and I haven’t been able to find a brand that isn’t cultured on one of them.

Lori and Michelle February 24, 2012 at 7:48 pm

We get our xanthan gum from gluten free mall.com – not sure if they always carry it, as I know in the best when they sell out they take it off their site. so you might just have to keep checking.

tina May 12, 2012 at 10:25 am

Thank you for an awesome recipe :) My son has a ton of food allergies and I am always on the lookout for allergy friendly recipes. I just whipped this up with a few substitutions. I used red rice flour instead of brown and some ragi flour. Then I added his gluten free flour mix and some arrowroot powder. I had to use hemp milk with vinegar instead of buttermilk, raw sugar, apple sauce and grape seed oil. I also used a mini muffin pan and they came out so light and fluffly as if I used wheat flour, amazing!!

Lori and Michelle May 12, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Tina yay!! so happy the donuts came out for you and that you enjoyed them!!

Keshia November 17, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Hi there!

Love the recipes you two come out with. I stumbled across this one and want to make donuts however, i’m having difficulty finding sorghum flour…are there substitutions for this flour and where can it be bought?

Thanks!!!

Lori and Michelle November 21, 2012 at 9:54 am

Keshia you can use brown rice flour

Ozzie November 19, 2012 at 5:20 pm

You guys have so many amazing recipes and they are healthy!! Unreal you guys are so awesome. I am a novice cook, baker, whatever you want to call it so I am going to try out some of your recipes. You two keep it up everyone seems to love you and your beautiful too!

aubrey March 8, 2013 at 9:44 am

hi! really want to make these? can you use eggs? or is it just better to stick with the vegan recipe? also, do you think Xylitol would work? thank you! they look divine

Lori and Michelle March 8, 2013 at 10:00 am

Aubrey yes you can do 1 egg and do about 1/2 cup butter milk. Yes xylitol should work .

Christina October 30, 2011 at 9:07 pm

It was so sweet of you to respond and so quickly too! Thank you. I will give these another shot this week with your wonderful suggestions and report back. What kind of coconut milk do you use? The SoDelicious kind or Canned? I will also add that regardless of the outcome of the donuts I made, it didn’t inhibit in ANY way my or my 4 and 2.5 year olds’ ability to thoroughly enjoy our “healthy pumpkin donuts” while the other kids at school ate their grocery store bakery ones! :-) Thanks for providing these recipes that help me keep my family healthy!

Lori and Michelle October 31, 2011 at 4:52 am

Christina, awesome! yes please let us know how it goes. think we need to remake these ourselves :) and for the coconut milk we get a canned one that is organic!! coconut milk in a can seems to be thicker, so works a little better in helping the recipe hold together. And glad to help you and your family stay healthy!! xoxo