The socca that will change your life

by Lori and Michelle on November 15, 2010

Are you sitting down?

This post will change your life….okay well at least this recipe did for us ;)

Remember Gena’s and Angela’s life changing recipe posts??

The twins present you with:

DSC_0131

SWEET. SAVORY. CHOCOLATE. DESSERT. SOCCA.

Pure2raw recipe: Dessert Socca Sandwich Stack

DSC_0025

DSC_0028

Mix in a bowl.

DSC_0029

DSC_0033DSC_0034

DSC_0038 DSC_0039

DSC_0047 Sorry for the messy bowl!

Pour socca batter into hot oil (coconut oil, about 2 -3 tbsp).

DSC_0049 Be careful here,hot oil!

DSC_0053 Have oven pre-heated to 400 degrees.

Place chocolate cardamom socca into oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Prepare next ingredients, which we used to layer our dessert socca sandwich stack.

DSC_0062 Fresh mint, fresh basil, roasted kabocha squash, and pumpkin butter.

DSC_0071

Time to play with food build dessert socca sandwich stack!

DSC_0083

DSC_0087

Layers of sweet and savory socca…

DSC_0085

DSC_0088

mixed in with chocolate and cardamom….

DSC_0098 DSC_0101

DSC_0104

pumpkin butter

DSC_0105

fresh mint…

DSC_0107

roasted kabocha squash…

DSC_0111

DSC_0112

fresh basil…

DSC_0116

need we say more

DSC_0122

this was AMAZING. Just when we thought socca was just socca, now it is  so much more ;) We have made a socca stack before, but this dessert socca stack was life changing!!

Layers of pure goodness…Dessert Socca Sandwich Stack!

DSC_0126 DSC_0130

Can I eat it now sis?

DSC_0152

DSC_0153

Dig in!

DSC_0163

DSC_0168

Please do yourself a favor and go make this, and let us know what you think!!

We just loved the flavor combination here…mostly savory with just a little bit of sweetness ; )

And thanks everyone for the comments and tweets about our new header!!!!

L & M

Pure2raw twins

Sarah November 15, 2010 at 10:12 am

YUMMMMMMM!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Heather Crosby November 15, 2010 at 10:21 am

Oh, wow! I love Cardamom and Cacao together. I make muffins with this combo often. Can’t wait to try it with socca. Keep up the great work, ladies.

Heathy November 15, 2010 at 10:23 am

This looks sooo scrumptious! I’m especially loving the photo montage :) xoxo

Sarah@sarahnotsoplainandtall November 15, 2010 at 10:29 am

Looks so yummy! Curious, what inspired you guys to start experimenting with soccer? I’ve never had it before but would love to try at some point :)

Pure2 November 15, 2010 at 10:50 am

Sarah, Lori got hooked on socca when she was traveling in southern France – Nice area. I guess socca is very popular there and she tried and fell in love!! Now we make it all the time here ;)

Lauren November 15, 2010 at 10:34 am

Love the new header! This post is so yum!!! The pictures are classic too! :) Thanks for sharing!

Tamikko November 15, 2010 at 10:55 am

Love it! I can’t wait to try this. Not only does the recipe sound delicious but the great pictures really tell a great story by themselves. You guys really had a lot of fun with this one :) I think I’m going to try mine with cinnamon and coconut another time :)
Great recipe and great picts of almost dropping the socca stack LOL

VeggieGirl November 15, 2010 at 10:57 am

I gotta say holy yum to that! :D

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 15, 2010 at 11:13 am

Oh YUM! Looks delicious and perfect!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg November 15, 2010 at 11:28 am

Dessert socca?!? Yum! I love the pictures too!

Eimear Rose November 15, 2010 at 11:28 am

Oh wow, chocolate socca! I think it would be AMAZING with Gena’s banana soft serve too:) I’m also thinking layering with pureed chestnuts would be a fantastic Thanksgiving/Christmas version!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin November 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Chocolate socca? Genius!! And I love roasted kobucha squash! I bet that combo was delicious!

I might have to try spreading that chocolate socca with layers of coconut butter frosting and eat it like a layer cake. ;) YUM!!

Love the new header, too!

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan November 15, 2010 at 1:22 pm

omigod its like a flat gluten-free chocolate cake! bravo, well done! :)

BIOCHEMISTA November 15, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Oh my gosh!!! This looks amazing. Where do you find garbanzo flour??

PS..you two are so cute!!! :)

Pure2 November 15, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Biochemista – you can normally find garbanzo bean flour in health food stores. Red Bob Mills is the brand we get!

bitt November 15, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Mmm chocolate! We’ll have to try this next time. Thanks for the idea.

Deb November 15, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Wow, a little socca food concept goes a long, long way! Your latest sweet-n-savory (chocolate!) version looks quite yummy! I think you two should consider opening up a socca-eria! :)

I’m curious—have you ever tried making socca in the dehydrator?

Pure2 November 15, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Deb – thank you!!! We have not tried socca in dehydrator,maybe when we make sprouted chickpeas again we will try, but honestly it will be hard to get the same flavor and texture when done in oven. But we will give it a try here soon!.

Deb November 15, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Thanks for your quick feedback!

I once tried socca in the dehydrator, but, it turned out to be just a big flat flop. :(

You’re right, it just did not have the same texture and flavor as the cooked version. But, I’m not giving up yet….I’ll let you know if I ever have any success with the “live socca” version. (And, if you ever try to experiment with this one, please let me know if you have any better luck!)

Thanks for your continued inspiration, ideas, and pure passion!

Lori November 15, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Gah! Oh wow! This post changed my life, already, and I haven’t even tasted this wondrous recipe! YUM YUM YUM. The colors alone on that plate is incredible. Winner, winner, Monday’s dinner! (hopefully!) ;)

Alisa November 15, 2010 at 3:15 pm

That looks so delicious. I can’t believe I still haven’t tried socca. Must get on that.

Janetha G - meals & moves November 15, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I love the header. I love LOVE the sequence of shots with the life changing dish. I love love LOVE that blogging shirt. And, finally, I love love love LOVE your guys’ blog. I really am sad I have missed out for so long.

Pure2 November 15, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Janetha – thanks girl!!! We are glad we found your blog too, love ya!

Katie November 15, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Yum. Just that. Yum.

emma November 15, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Wow! So inventive! :-) x x x

Mary (A Merry Life) November 15, 2010 at 4:54 pm

You guys are geniuses. Just saying.

Pure2 November 15, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Thanks Mary!!! :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty November 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm

You guys should be called the SOCCA twins! hehe

i thought the squash was mango… wouldn’t that be SO GOOD!!!

joi November 15, 2010 at 6:27 pm

ohhhhmyygossh! Perhaps you should consider just starting a SOCCA BLOG. I can’t imagine how you come up with these combinations of flavor and putting it in a socca. I didn’t think the pumpkin socca could be topped, but wow, was I wrong. You are both GENIUS! Can’t wait to try it. Thank you for you inspiration & ingenuity!

Alex November 15, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Know what? I’ve been making pancakes with garbanzo bean flour lately. I just had some chocolate-berry ones today with little 100% dark chocolate chunks in it! Heavenly….I also make a Pumpkin Pie Socca-pancake thing-LOVE IT!

Christine (The Raw Project) November 15, 2010 at 7:21 pm

WOW! That looks amazing, you two rock!!! I can’t wait to try this and amazing pictures, they’re worth framing! :-)

MarathonVal November 15, 2010 at 8:12 pm

This reminds me that I STILL need to make your pumpkin socca… it’s been on my to-do list for weeks now. Thanks for the reminder ;)

Ainslie November 15, 2010 at 8:31 pm

ummm…holy wow! I was just yesterday contemplating the delicious socca I had made and WISHING for the same texture, but the flavour of chocolate. I am making this tomorrow! probably for breakfast! so excited!

Ilana November 15, 2010 at 8:45 pm

yummmmmmmmmmmmm I am drooling!!

Eden November 15, 2010 at 11:26 pm

That was a pretty bold title and I thought to myself, “really? it will change my life???” then I scrolled down and I might be convinced. I’d bet that would be wonderful with some almond butter and coconut flakes. Like a “mounds” bar socca. Excellent photos too!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 16, 2010 at 12:25 am

wow. amazing recipe!!!!!!!!

and amazing photos. both of the food itself, the photo quality, the quantity, and of course, you!

everything looks great and i can tell the new camera is working out wonderfully for you!

Jennifer Leonard (big sis) November 16, 2010 at 6:24 am

Great photos girls! I still haven’t tried the socca, I have the ingredients, just haven’t made it. LOL!

Pure2 November 16, 2010 at 8:28 am

Jennifer – hey sis, we can make it for you when we come home ; )

Hannah November 16, 2010 at 8:44 am

Oh, chocolate socca, now there’s a revolutionary concept! I’m loving the possibilities over here… I can just imagine all kinds of dessert sandwiches or pizzas coming from this!

Pure2 November 16, 2010 at 11:09 am

Hannah – I know, our minds are always thinking of things…cannot wait to share them ; )

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) November 16, 2010 at 11:58 am

OMG! First, I love your header!! Second, this is the most delicious, beautiful socca ever!! I love your pics…too cute. :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 16, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Okay, SOLD!! Now that it has chocolate in it I HAVE to try it!!!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) November 16, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Oh wow. Life-changing, I’m sure! Cardamom is exquisite so i’m sure this is SO good. Well done!

Brittany (Eating Bird Food) November 17, 2010 at 6:09 am

I still have yet to try socca, but this combo looks delicious! I need to get my hands on some chickpea flour!

PS- The new header is fabulous.

lynn @ the actors diet November 17, 2010 at 10:00 am

how cooool! i’ve never had socca before so i’m SURE this would change my life!

Pure2 November 17, 2010 at 10:02 am

Yes Lynn it would, haha!! HUGS

Ashley January 12, 2011 at 10:46 pm

After the comment one of you left on my blog about the socca, I came to check out your recipes. I laughed when I saw that you have a whole tribute to it!! I already mentioned on the blog I want to make a chocolate version. Too funny! Your recipes and the socca sandwich look great. Off to check your pumpkin butter recipe now!

Pure2 January 13, 2011 at 5:51 am

Ashley – haha yes we are a little obsessed :)

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey February 23, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Just curious, what’s the normal serving size on this? Do you guys eat half each, one-third, what?

Pure2 February 24, 2011 at 4:48 am

Kelsey, we feel serving size is personal preference and how much ones body can handle, since we are all different. But for us we tend to split the socca.

Diana March 26, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I tried making this today, and didn’t particularly enjoy it – I think I must have done something wrong (I followed your recipe, so I’m not sure what it was). Either that or I just don’t like the taste of anything baked with chickpea flour. I know that the batter is supposed to taste nasty before it’s cooked, but even when it was fully baked, my socca wasn’t as delicious as I had hoped. Do you have any suggestions to help me with my socca baking skills?

Pure2 March 27, 2011 at 6:16 am

Diana – garbanzo bean flour does have a distinct flavor, so that could be it. People either love it or not. So not sure if was flavor or texture for you. You could try doing half of garbanzo bean flour with half of another flavor and see if the flavor is more balanced. Baking the socca in different oils also can change the flavor, so maybe use a different oil, either coconut oil or olive oil.

Indre July 1, 2011 at 8:28 am

Girls, does the socca have to be wet inside? the top was with nice crust, the bottom not, and inside it was wet .. and it seemed little bit gummy. I think maybe it was too much water 1,5 cup.. as in your all photos of soccas it seems that it all should be crusty, dry, like crackers… no? please, calm me down :) thank you!

Pure2 July 1, 2011 at 8:36 am

Indre socca is supposed to be similar to a flatbread/pancake/crepe/bread like texture it is not really a cracker texture. It can be soft both on outside and inside, depends how much water, how much oil and what size pan. All play a factor in making socca. It is slighly soft and wet on the inside. You might just have to play around with the water ratios till you find the style you like best for socca.

Diana March 27, 2011 at 8:56 am

OK, that must be it! Hopefully it is an acquired taste, as it would be a shame not to try some more socca creations. Thanks for your help – I will definitely use your suggestions when I make it again.

Indre July 1, 2011 at 8:42 am

Thank you Girls. Just did one sweet socca as a crepe in a pan, and just finished with my cacao drink :) Yummy :)