Tiramisu Pancakes (gluten-free, vegan)

by Lori and Michelle on November 17, 2010

Yes we got a fun recipe for you all to enjoy!!

Awhile ago I came across a great recipe from Steamy Kitchen: Tiramisu Pancakes. This recipe was always in the back of mind…trying to decide when I wanted to make it…and the other day was THE DAY!!!

Lori and I made our tweaks to our original gluten-free vegan recipe:

• we did not have coffee on hand, so not exactly authentic, but cacao nibs have a coffee-like flavor to us
  • we used a raw cashew cream for the mascarpone cream
  • we omitted cocoa in the batter, due to the cacoa nibs
  • we did not have any coffee liqueur on hand

Okay enough from me…I am just going to let the pictures do the talking!

DSC_0206

DSC_0176

DSC_0181 Twin Cakes Recipes

DSC_0190 DSC_0191

DSC_0194

DSC_0195

DSC_0199

Ahh…maple syrup…now the tiramisu pancakes are complete!!

DSC_0200

DSC_0201

DSC_0203

Cacao nibs sprinkled on every creme layer!!!

DSC_0209

DSC_0212

DSC_0213

DSC_0215 DSC_0216 DSC_0217 DSC_0218

DSC_0222

Lori snapped a photo of me in action ;) Thanks sis!

me taking pic of pancakes Could I be any closer to the pancakes??? haha

DSC_0229

I guess it wasn’t good???

We do plan to re-make this very soon and making it a little more like the real thing (but of course still gf and vegan!).

Thanks to Jaden for the recipe inspiration!!

Michelle

Pure2raw twin

chocolate-covered katie November 17, 2010 at 8:10 am

Oh my goodness, yummmmm! Girls, you are amazing. Really, I saw this on twitter and HAD to click.

I already had brekkie, but can I have another? :)

Pure2 November 17, 2010 at 8:27 am

Katie – yes we have had seconds…and thirds : ) Come over any time!

Alex November 17, 2010 at 8:35 am

Great pictures, you two! No one could ever guess that it was healthy ;)

MarathonVal November 17, 2010 at 8:43 am

What a fabulous idea!!!! Yum yum yum… wish I had time to make these for breakfast this morning, a green smoothie just doesn’t sound as delicious!

Jaden November 17, 2010 at 8:58 am

Oh wow! Sinful!!!! Love the digging in w fork photos!

Pure2 November 17, 2010 at 9:05 am

Thanks Jaden!!! You are such an inspiration to us :)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather November 17, 2010 at 8:59 am

Yum! I love stacked and filled pancakes. They look so light and fluffy :) . You girls are too cute.

Pure2 November 17, 2010 at 9:06 am

Thanks Heather, we were so happy with the final results of the pancakes :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 17, 2010 at 9:06 am

Now THAT is how you start the day off! YUM!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] November 17, 2010 at 9:10 am

um wow. This was a really bad post to read when I’m so hungry!

I’m so impressed that you made it gluten free and they turned out so light and fluffy!

Emily (For Sweets Sake) November 17, 2010 at 9:10 am

I’ve never had vegan pancakes, but these sound really good! I might have to give them a try :)

Little Bookworm November 17, 2010 at 9:34 am

Amazing idea! I want pancakes now. :P

Meghan Telpner November 17, 2010 at 9:48 am

Those look very delicious…and tempting :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 17, 2010 at 9:51 am

You had me at “tiramisu.” I think at the next blogger conference you ladies should do a cooking tutorial :)

Pure2 November 17, 2010 at 10:03 am

Aww thanks Gabriela that would be a lot of fun :) Maybe one day! A girl can dream right, haha! xoxo

Kristina @ spabettie November 17, 2010 at 10:06 am

Jason’s favorite thing is tiramisu… perhaps I’ll be awesome and make these for him this weekend… they look amazing!

Lauren November 17, 2010 at 10:08 am

Oh my gosh.. AMAZING!!!! I am loving pancakes right now! These look soooo yummy!!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg November 17, 2010 at 10:11 am

Holy moly! THIS is a decadent breakfast…looks awesome!!

Kenzie (Healthy Purpose) November 17, 2010 at 10:48 am

Im glad im not the only one that props food up into ridiculous places in order to get a good picture! (lighing is everything) that being sald, your pancakes look amazing!!

Ana November 17, 2010 at 11:33 am

Yum! And I like the cashew cream in between! If I make them I will definitely add coffee, I love coffee flavored things! Humm, maybe some chocolate or carob chips in it would be good too… chocolate + coffee = major yum!
Ana

Ana November 17, 2010 at 11:55 am

Hey twins, I have a question for you. Nothing to do with pancakes, but with avocado. I am also an avocado lover, I love it in smoothies and also in the pudding-like form like you two do. Today I opened an avocado that wasn’t as ripe as I thought it would be. My question is: what do you guys do if the avocado is not ripe? Do you still use it for pudding or just toss it? This one I opened was soft and beautiful on the outside, but tasteless on the inside, also very light-ish in color, definitely unripe (I eat avocados since I was born, grew up eating them with sugar or in smoothies – blended with milk – so I know my avocados). I am always sad if I need to toss food, especially good ones I love. When this happened before I just tossed it, but I wanted to ask you since you two are also avocado lovers like me! Maybe this have happened to you two before?
Thanks for the avocado help!
Ana

hihorosie November 17, 2010 at 12:06 pm

ohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmy! I wannnnnnntttt thhhhheeeeeeeeeessssssssseeeeeeeeeee!

Pure2 November 17, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Heidi we will send you some :) LOL

melissa @ the delicate place November 17, 2010 at 12:17 pm

omg i love you two! best idea ever.

Pure2 November 17, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Thanks Melissa!!! xoxo

Gillian Young November 17, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Foodgasm. I would love to spend a weekend eating with you ladies!!! Feed me!!

Gillian Young November 17, 2010 at 12:33 pm

New challenge for you brilliant gals: come up with a healthy Nutella! I will love you forever.

BIOCHEMISTA November 17, 2010 at 12:42 pm

OH MY GOSH!!!!! This looks fantastic!!! :) :) Quick question, where do you find cashew cream? Can you buy it or do you have to make it?

XX

Pure2 November 17, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Biochemista, we shared one recipe on the post of making it yourself, if you do not want to make it yourself – just buy cashew butter and sweetened it with agave or maple syrup! And you should be good to go!

Lauren November 17, 2010 at 1:14 pm

looks beautiful and the photographer did a brilliant job!

Katie November 17, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Tiramisu is a my absolute FAVORITE dessert and I can never have it. You have been bookmarked! (again) ;)

Jasmine (Sweet and Fit) November 17, 2010 at 3:51 pm

oh my gooooodness! this looks amazing!!!! I would have never thought to have tiramisu with breakfast!

Pure2 November 17, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Jasmine, neither did we and we are sure glad we tried it ;) LOL It was delicious!!!

sarah@sarahnotsoplainandtall November 17, 2010 at 4:32 pm

mmmmmmmmm…you totally have self contol…something that tasty would not make it through a full photoshoot haha

bitt November 17, 2010 at 5:29 pm

great pics! I love a good pancake, glad to know i’m not the only one.

Kris | iheartwellness.com November 17, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Hahaha! I love the pic at the end!

These look fabulous and a perfect breakfast time teat….perfect to make a rainy Sunday better ;)
xxoo

Christine (The Raw Project) November 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Cute pics, too funny! These look wonderful, so creative and something I can make for hubby too. Thanks!

Katey (Bonne Santé) November 17, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Tiramisu has always been my favourite dessert, and pancakes my favourite breakfast…you may have just made my dreams come true! :D

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) November 18, 2010 at 7:35 am

Oh my, those look delicious!!

Katie November 18, 2010 at 9:00 am

Um, ladies? I’m free Sunday morning if you want to come over for breakfast :-D

Pure2 November 18, 2010 at 10:35 am

Katie, we will be right there :) with a plate full!!

Lori November 18, 2010 at 3:25 pm

GAH! What a crazy awesome recipe and meal and pictures! Very very nice! I’m super impressed with the creativity and the use of great ingredients! YUM. Seriously.

Hannah November 18, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Oh man, that has got to be the best pancake flavor/assemblage ever. I’m seriously jonsing for a stack of these now…!

Regina November 18, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Those pancakes look amazing! Just curious: Did you use canned coconut milk or So Delicious coconut milk for the buttermilk in this recipe?

Pure2 November 19, 2010 at 8:49 am

Yes Regina you can use can coconut milk, we just use the WholeFoods brand of coconut milk.

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan November 18, 2010 at 8:14 pm

This is a BRILLIANT idea! My boyfriend would go nuts for these!

Eden November 18, 2010 at 11:30 pm

O I’m excited to make some! I would have never thought of making my my own buttermilk! I like to use a mixture of flours too. I love quinoa flour and oat flour.
And you are also welcome for B-fast (or any meal) to my house!

Janetha G - meals & moves November 19, 2010 at 11:47 am

Michelle, these look delicious! My husband looooves tiramisu but hates pancakes (I know.) so maybe these will convert him! Love the in-action shot :)

Heathy November 26, 2010 at 9:05 am

The pancakes look incredible girls! Looks like they’d make a great Xmas brunch dish! :) xoxo

Beth February 10, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I haven’t eaten pancakes in years because I think them too dense, but those looked absolutely delicious. I would use carob and cereal coffee instead, since I don’t drink regular coffee or eat chocolate.
Love your recipes. Great blog!

Pure2 February 10, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Beth – thank you!!!!

nelly February 16, 2011 at 11:32 am

i’m obsessed with pancakes as of late…and i too have been experimenting with different whole grain flours…would love to try millet flour and amaranth!! great idea!!! and nice work on the tiramisu pancake creation!!!

=)

Pure2 February 16, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Thanks Nelly! It was fun to make as well as delicious as eating :)

Reg July 14, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Testimonial: I made (a version of) these pancakes, and they turned out great! Even omnivorous, generally unadventurous family members gave them the seal of approval! Adapted to my sort-of candida diet and what I had lying around the house, I used Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free flour (mix of different flours, potato starch, etc.), powdered/granulated stevia, and soymilk in the ‘buttermilk.’ Also omitted the filling, can’t wait to try that when I get the chance.

I’m excited to try more of these recipes. Thank you!

Reg July 14, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Oh, yes, and some ground carob and a pinch of cinnamon sealed the deal! :)

ste rhymes with tree August 2, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Hi! I tried to use your pancake recipe, several times because I’m not sure how else to make pancakes… The first time the batter was so dense – like biscuits! – so I increased the liquid until it was like pancake batter. They didn’t turn out at all! The second time I stuck to the recipe perfectly and they were really weird — sort of like fluffy polenta. The batter was SO THICK I could shape it in my hand into a pancake shape, and the cooked pancake just turned to mush when I put blueberries and a little syrup over it. The third time I added a little more liquid and some xanthan gum (1/8tsp) and they were just like the second batch.

Help! What texture and thickness is the batter? Do you add the ingredients in some special order? I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong!

Pure2 August 2, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Stephanie thank so for your comment and letting us know of your issue with making these pancakes. We are sad to hear that they are not working out for you. We do have some suggestions for you to try. Typically with our pancake batters they are on the thick side but not overly thick. You might try baking soda instead of baking powder and see if that turns out better. Also we had made these pancakes again here before and it shows the texture of the batter…. http://www.pure2raw.com/2011/04/tahini-maple-buttermilk-pancakes-gluten-free-vegan/ . Also here is another version of pancakes we have made before that you can try out to see if you get better results http://www.pure2raw.com/2011/06/marshmallow-cashew-cream-filled-chocolate-chip-pancakes/ . Another tip not sure if you are using applesauce or not, but if you are try having it a little chilled not quite room temperature that sometimes helps with the batter being a little thick. We typically like thick pancakes and so we have thick batters, if you want more thin pancakes we suggest making sure applesauce is room temperature and possibly adding in more water or milk. We hope these suggestions help, please let us know if there is anything else. We would love for you to get the pancakes you are looking for – so you can enjoy them too!

Morri February 28, 2012 at 10:51 am

O_o… OMG! I love it. It’s definitely turning into a socca.

Morri March 4, 2012 at 8:52 pm
Gabriela April 28, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I just made these and they are amazing!!!!! Thank you so much!!!! I have an 8 year old, gorgeous little girl that is allergic to gluten, soy, eggs and dairy. So thank God for you guys!!!! I just found your website and love your recipes.

mariel May 30, 2012 at 8:39 am

what kind of coconut milk did you use? was it the really thick kind (with lots of fat) or the thinner kind? a lot of them are different depending :) :)
mariel recently posted..Bringing you lip gloss … :) My Profile

Lori and Michelle May 30, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Mariel we always use full fat coconut milk!!!!

ste rhymes with tree August 2, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Thank you for your response! I’ll keep you updated as I test things out. So weird that they aren’t turning out!!! Really looking forward to them working! -Ste