Avocado love…continued

by michelle on December 5, 2010

Hey luvs,

We loved hearing about where that one place in the world you would want to go.

For us…Lori would love to go to Greece or New Zealand  and for me would be Africa or Australia.  We love traveling, always have, so hopefully one day :)

The other day we tweeted about how we have been enjoying a new way to have avocados.

Well thanks to a blog friend, we were inspired, and made a simple savory avocado sauce.

Our friend Lori posted an amazing cheemmus sauce.  But sadly we did not have hummus on hand so…we remembered our two ingredient sauce, where we simply used avocado instead of coconut oil.

I know we are not the first to do this combo, but we have not seen it as a sauce, or maybe we missed it. So please correct us if we are wrong.

I know Katie, Heather, Mae and Gena create some yummy dishes using avocados and nutritional yeast too! And Elise has been making some mouth watering creamy nut butter quinoa dishes.

We have enjoyed this sauce already 3 times!!! Is this going to replace our avocado puddings??? Pretty close call.

DSC_0103

Delicious over some kabocha squash!

IMG_4634IMG_4625 Perfect mixed with kraut, lettuce, and sprouted quinoa (cooked).  Another take our new salad creations.

And the one that blew our socks off…

DSC_0130

DSC_0122

Layers of sprouted quinoa (cooked), arugula, steamed sweet potato, and our new avocado sauce!

DSC_0128

DSC_0136 In a mason jar makes it the perfect portable meal! Perfect for people on the go.  Just like our salad to go.

DSC_0135 Dig in.

DSC_0142

DSC_0147

Pure simple goodness here!!

DSC_0155

Hope you all have a great Sunday!! We got some snow here.

Twins Question: What has been your obsession lately? Does not have to be food related.

Michelle

Pure2raw twin

Ana December 5, 2010 at 8:05 am

Mine latest obsession is coconut, particularly coconut butter! Can’t have enough!
I love your parfait idea, looks totally delicious, I want to make some too!
Ana

Pure2 December 5, 2010 at 8:07 am

Ana that is another huge obsession of ours too ;)

Ana December 5, 2010 at 8:08 am

I meant “my latest obsession”… oops (I was going to say mine is, then I decided to say my latest obsession and forgot to correct the mine…)
Ana

Pure2 December 5, 2010 at 8:12 am

Ana, no worries :)

Hayley December 5, 2010 at 8:44 am

The sauce looks great! I especially love the looks of the layered salad :)
Confession: My obsession is always coconut, but lately I am so busy that I tend to eat coconut butter on its own, with a spoon, straight from the jar. Don’t tell anyone though ;)

Pure2 December 5, 2010 at 9:24 am

Hayley too cute :)

Katie December 5, 2010 at 9:52 am

I WANT THAT MASON JAR!!!! But I only want it with the stuff in there.

I just got 2 avocados yesterday after your comment on my blog, and I have a kabocha, quinoa, and lettuce. The avocados aren’t ripe yet, but hopefully soon!

lindsay December 5, 2010 at 10:35 am

what a beautiful arrangement in a jar! So unique too. I vote to go to New Zealand. My husband is from there and we go visit family a lot. The people are amazing, the food is so fresh and amazing, and the country is just BEAUTIFUL!!
Cheers,
LC

Pure2 December 5, 2010 at 11:21 am

Thanks Lindsay…. New Zealand it is ;)

Eden December 5, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I think I eat a deconstructed version of that cheesy avocado sauce everyday. I just blend avocado with steamed cauliflower (I think its a great thickener!), some water, and douse it with nooch at the end.
And I love that jar! its perfect for on the go lunches!

Pure2 December 5, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Eden – your version sounds great, love the cauliflower addition :)

Ana December 5, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Haha, I do the same thing as Hayley! I love coconut butter, straight from the jar, with a spoon… so good!! (I am totally obsessed, can you tell?!!)
Ana

Ela December 5, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Yum! That layered salad especially looks so beautiful, simple, real, nourishing.

My food obsession is coconut; my other obsession is old ED stuff that I’m trying to lose but am kind of attached to still.

Too many places I want to visit, but also find traveling quite challenging!

elise December 5, 2010 at 2:18 pm

yes please!!
anything with avo and nooch is a win in my book – the two together? divine.

ps im so tagging along to new zealand or australia!!

Pure2 December 5, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Elise – oh yes, we would love you to join us : )

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 5, 2010 at 2:19 pm

omg just got done pre writing a post about latest food obsession: vegan gf rice krispy treats w/ homemade vegan choco frosting. yep. obsessed.

this new avo sauce of yours looks great and clearly you put it in a squeeze bottle to squirt..looks so professional! as does that “parfait”. omg you need to sell those!!!

Natalia - a side of simple December 5, 2010 at 3:16 pm

My latest obsession is Mad Men. And then I’m constantly feeding my obsession with yogurt and peanut butter :)

emma December 5, 2010 at 4:28 pm

i wanna join the mason jar party! woop woop! x x

Pure2 December 5, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Emma, you are always invited!!!! xoxo

jodye @ 'scend food December 5, 2010 at 5:14 pm

This avocado sauce sounds just delicious, and it looks so dreamy over the kabocha squash. I’ll definitely have to try it!

MarathonVal December 5, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I’m going to take a page from both of your books and say that my two top fave places I want to visit are Africa and Greece!!!! Hopefully I’ll get to both places one day :)

I’ve been OBSESSED with making Christmas cookies recently… absolutely obsessed. Holiday baking is so much fun!

Pure2 December 5, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Val- maybe we all could go together to Africa and Greece!!! That be fun :) And we love holiday baking too!!!

Healing Cuisine by Elise December 5, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Avocado “cheese”..YUM. I’ve been OBsessed with making Christmas cookies — raw and semi-raw cookies all around. Finished my last photo session of the cookies this afternoon, posting them later in the week. Now on to eating them! haha

Heathy December 5, 2010 at 9:40 pm

AH! I love it! Savory parfait, hehe :) Looks deelish girlies! xoxoxo

Carla December 6, 2010 at 1:59 am

I can not wait to make the Cheesy Avocado Sauce tonight! I think it would also be good as a veg dip! Yum! Thanks for sharing!

Pure2 December 6, 2010 at 5:35 am

Carla – it was great with a little sea salt on top : ) ENJOY!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 6, 2010 at 7:26 am

Love the layers! Beautiful! Pumpkin has been my obsession lately! I am starting to get that pumpkin glow about me and I love it!

melissa @ the delicate place December 6, 2010 at 8:44 am

ahh i was in new zealand for a month in 2007. it’s my fave destination! i have been loving on avocado hard these days. i’ve had 1/2 of one in a smoothie every day for the last 2 weeks!

Lori December 6, 2010 at 11:02 am

My obsession lately has been Candy Cane Lane tea… soooooo good. Also weight lifting. I love it. :)

The avocado sauce looks incredible, especially over the kabocha! Looks like the best combination! Yum!! And that sprouted quinoa and kraut salad. Fantastic! I’m craving kraut now. :)

Christine (The Raw Project) December 6, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Wow, this looks wonderful and so simple! Love the idea of meals in a jar, how fun! And with squash? Yum! Thanks!

astrorainfall December 7, 2010 at 6:34 am

Gosh the mason jar full of food looks amazing. I will def try this avocado sauce. I love anything with avocado….This looks like a great portable meal. Bookmarking it!

hihorosie December 12, 2010 at 10:51 am

Oooh! Yummy! I heart avocados and nooch!

Melissa April 9, 2011 at 11:44 am

This sauce is awesome. Had it over sweet potato with cucumber & red onion, with apple cider vinegar dressing & chia seeds sprinkled on.

Pure2 April 9, 2011 at 12:02 pm

sounds delicious Melissa glad you liked it!

Katie December 20, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I’m so glad you both want to come down under. I’m from New Zealand. Not trying to brag or anything (honest) but Auckland (the biggest city here) got voted 3rd best city in the world (behind Zurich and Vienna) by those people that write travel books or something I think. It is very multi cultural, probably one of the most multi cultural cities in the world, behind NYC, Sydney and London I’d say.
I absolutely love all your recipes Lori and Michelle, I’ve been reading your blog for alot of the year. You both are so talented, beautiful and take really great photos, seriously!! (: xx

Lori and Michelle December 21, 2011 at 6:17 am

Katie thank you sweetie!! Thanks for saying hey :)