Progress

by Lori and Michelle on December 16, 2010

Thanks everyone for the support of me going back to school!

Remember when we mentioned that we are going to test out some other versions of socca.

Well we finally got around to making a raw version per readers request.

DSC_0011

Not perfect…going to be a work in progress. We were not sure exactly how to go about doing a raw version of socca. But we were up to the challenge.

As much I love raw foods (and always will), I do think socca is one think I will continue to eat cooked. But for those of you who asked us to make it, here is what we did:

Pure2raw recipe: Raw Socca (raw, gluten-free, sugar-free, vegan)

Ingredients:

• 1 cup of sprouted garbanzo flour (grind sprouted chickpeas in vita-mix blender to make flour)
  • About 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • sprinkle of sea salt

Directions:

Mix in bowl. Makes a thick batter. (we thought for a raw version a thicker batter would be before than a liquid one, maybe we were wrong)

DSC_0003 Spread onto dehydrator sheet.

DSC_0008

Dehydrate for a 5 hours.

DSC_0009

Result of first time making raw dehydrated socca:

DSC_0009

It was a little dry and too crispy for us. Flavor was alright. It had a strong garbanzo bean flavor and the texture was different than cooked one (but that is to be expected sometimes with raw foods)

DSC_0015

We ended up brushing some more olive oil on the top and bottom plus a sprinkle of more sea salt on top.

DSC_0017DSC_0021

DSC_0022 Lori thought it was okay. I did not like it that much.

Not quite like yummy baked socca!

DSC_0012

What do you think?

If and when we attempt raw socca again here are some changes we would do:

• do not dehydrate for so long, just an hour or two (if we kept batter thick)
  • add more olive oil to batter, maybe try a more liquid batter and no so thick
  • add some flavors like cumin or rosemary

What are your thoughts? Suggestions?

Michelle

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 16, 2010 at 4:26 pm

The raw socca looks awesome and I need to get reacquainted w/ my dehydrator this winter!

As for going back to school..awesome! I am a lifelong learner and have degrees and certificates in everything from psych to real estate to lactation. Learning is a gift..and glad you are going back!

As for posting schedules and your comment to me about 2x a day posting, 1x, none, etc based on your own schedules…yep, it’s always a juggling act, isnt it!

Pure2 December 16, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Yes Averie it is, haha!! Thanks for your continued support.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 16, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I have no clue when it comes to dehydrating. I want to learn more about it, but I am with you two, socca is good like it is. It has an unbelievable texture, so that would really be hard to achieve when you dehydrate it.

Deb December 16, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I was that reader who asked you about raw socca the other month. :)
I’m so glad you remembered my request! When I saw your teaser pic last night, I was so hoping that was gonna be raw socca. :)

Your version looks much better than when I tried (and got my big flat flop!). I’m going to give it another try following your directions and suggestions. I’ll let you know how it goes!

I think I’m going to come to the same conclusion as you—that nothing compares the the real cooked socca….but I think it can be a treat in its own raw way. :)

Thanks for remembering!

Pure2 December 16, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Deb – of course we remembered!! Yes try it out and let us know what you think.

Katie December 16, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Maybe try using coconut oil instead of some of the water? Seems like that would keep it a bit more moist (ewwww) in the dehydrator.

Steph December 17, 2010 at 3:19 am

Thanks girls for posting this :-)
Really appreciate it !
Happy Holidays !

Pure2 December 17, 2010 at 5:21 am

No problem Steph, we hope to play around with it some more one day. :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 17, 2010 at 6:01 am

Just read your last post- yay for going back to school!! I have a feeling it will be worth it :)

Pure2 December 17, 2010 at 6:18 am

Gabriela – thank you!!!

katie December 17, 2010 at 8:10 am

oh YUM! I have got to catch up on your wonderful blog! I want a dehydrator.. I feel like I would get great use out of it! love you girls and you are AWESOME! thanks for your commenting!

Pure2 December 17, 2010 at 8:36 am

Katie – thanks girl!! love ya too

BIOCHEMISTA December 17, 2010 at 8:58 am

These look fantastic!!! What kind of dehydrator do you have??

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) December 17, 2010 at 1:10 pm

wow! that sounds super intriguing.. seeing as its raw! I totally do not have a dehydrator though.. so I think I’ll stick to the non-raw version!

Ela December 17, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Great thing to try out! I think that with sprouted chickpeas, even ground and dehydrated, they’re going to have a starchier taste than cooked chickpeas and that might be hard to get over (also maybe harder on the tummy). I might be tempted to try with sprouted lentils instead. But with either one, I agree with you on more olive oil, maybe more salt (like you added this time too), and maybe try a thinner batter and longer dehydration because maybe it ended up dry because of the thick batter?

Christine (The Raw Project) December 17, 2010 at 6:15 pm

This looks very interesting and reminds me that I’ve been neglecting my dehydrator lately. What a great idea to create a raw version and I’m tempted to sprout garbanzo beans now.