Part 3: Being Twins

by Lori and Michelle on January 17, 2011

Once again Michelle and I can not thank you all enough for the all the amazing comments and emails we have received from our being twins series.  Thank you!!!

In case you might have missed any:

Part 1 – difficult side of being twins

Part 2 – another part of our eating disorder and low self images issues

- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -

We are girls. We have similar interest. And we are twins!

By having similar interests might be what had caused us to fight and struggle through all the issues we did. But WE would never change being twins!

We would not be who we are without those experiences :)

They are what made us who we are. We have no regrets. We loved the good and the bad moments.

Would we change anything?

We are stronger.

We are different.

We are individuals (well sorta)

_JEN2001

Now looking back we realized our issues started with low self image. We were constantly struggling with our own images that we brought it out on each other which is not the best solution. We now we realize this!

We realized that our obsession part of our eating disorder became an addiction. Well for us it turned into an addiction. We know not every one has the same experiences but when we really thought about it for awhile we realized we were ‘addicted’ to being rude to each other… being mean to ourselves..counting calories to the max!

This addiction goes hand in hand with our low self image. I know many ladies/men suffer from this as well. We just became obsessed with counting calories! Obsessed with numbers! Obsessed with food! Obsessed with cardio!

Don’t let ‘numbers’ ruin your life. Admit your mistakes. Learn from others. Get support!  Email us – we are here to support and encourage one another that you can get through this obsession! We did!

IMG

Things that helped us get over our addiction to calorie counting, constantly fighting with each other, and helped our self image are:

• Being open and honest with ourselves.
  • Addressing our issues and being aware of them.
  • Facing our fears.
  • Letting go of the past.
  • Tried hard to avoid unnecessary stress.
  • Allowing ourselves time to heal.
  • Keeping a positive attitude.
  • Finding things that really make us happy (our bakery, our blog).
  • Staying active, finding what working out means to us.
  • Staying true to our self…what matters to us, what we believe in
  • Eating a high plant based diet (having more foods that made us feel good eating). Raw foods really played a part in helping us feeling better. Helped us stop worrying about calories because we knew the foods we were eating strengthen our bodies from the inside out!
  • Talking with others about our issues (family, friends)
  • Realizing it is ok that we have similar interest; we can still be individuals!
  • THREW OUT OUR NOTEPAD AND CALCULATOR, so we had no place to record our numbers anymore.

The biggest thing is being honest and give time to heal. Take small steps. Look at food and working out as a place of happiness. A place that heals.  And believe in yourself and say positive things!

Find a place like Operation Beautiful, where everyday someone out there is saying you are beautiful.  Also check out Gena’s Defining an Eating Disorder,  and Megan’s Done with Diets, and Lynn shares her story and how to recover, truly inspiring ladies!!!

Now onto something more fun :)

Twin Cakes Bakery is offering a 15% off sale – Coupon Code: NewYear, for orders over $40 or more. Never too late to get some healthy treats to start of the year ;)

*You may notice that our site is different. We finally have had the time to update it, but there is more to do.

Plus there will be some changes coming to the blog here. Slow changes but we are trying to try some new things here on the blog and will keep you all posted.

P2R Twins

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 17, 2011 at 7:54 am

Great wrap-up to your twins post!!! I love the list of things that you both were able to do in order to make your lives more positive– a great compilation!!

I made SOCCA for the first time this weekend!!! It was delicious!!

lynn @ the actors diet January 17, 2011 at 10:14 am

thank you for sharing your story, and also for the shoutout!

Pure2 January 17, 2011 at 11:07 am

Lynn – thank you! Thank you for being an inspiration for us! You are such a strong, beautiful person :) Love ya!

Christine (The Raw Project) January 17, 2011 at 10:30 am

Another great, honest post about your struggles, thanks! Can’t wait to see the site changes!

Gillian Young January 17, 2011 at 10:34 am

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It’s so easy to be competitive with others- I can’t imagine with a twin- and so good to remember that it the end it’s only with ourselves. You are both so beautiful no matter what!

Kelly January 17, 2011 at 1:02 pm

You guys are so brave to share your story. I went through something similar in college, although different, because I’m not a twin. I can’t imagine what it would have been like to have competition thrown in the mix. Thank you for sharing this.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 17, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Cant wait to see the changes…I am always curious about what everyone’s changes are. And how they will unfold.

Thank you for this series you did…so meaningful and wonderful, thanks for sharing so openly! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 17, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Great ending to your series! I think a huge part of problems with diets is control, at least it was for me. I never went full force with an eating disorder, but I could see a point where I was heading down the wrong path. I think you two are great to share and offer support to others! That is a big part in helping yourselves heal too!

rosie January 18, 2011 at 6:42 am

hi twins! long time no comment!!
i’ve still been reading though, don’t worry. ;)

it’s really interesting to hear about being a twin from a twin’s perspective! i have a younger sister who is a year and a half younger than me and we’ve experienced some of the same things – competitiveness, etc. obviously nowhere near as intense as you both.

so good to hear you’re both in a better place – specifically in your relationships with each other and yourselves. xoxo

hihorosie January 18, 2011 at 11:50 am

You girls are beautiful – inside and out. Thanks for sharing your story. I have no doubt you have helped many. I’m so glad you’re both healthy and happy with yourselves and each other.

Morri October 31, 2011 at 3:57 pm

It’s nice to see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes I go back to counting calories, but I’m not as obsessed as I used to be.

Especially with training for a 5k and working out regularly, it’s dangerous to do such things. I was wondering, however, what should a gluten free athlete consider? Any pointers?

Best,