Black bean pasta

by Lori and Michelle on January 20, 2011

Hey friends,

Looks like majority of us like to jump rope! It is one of those exercises that you can pretty much do anywhere ;) And everyone is loving our small spoons! We love them too!

Each morning (well late morning) I have been enjoying one of these

IMG_5532

Green smoothie – grapefruit, apples, hemp seeds, stevia, lots of fresh ginger, sunflower lecithin

Dinner has been some form of salad

IMG_5558

this salad I added lots of fresh ginger (I just love it), adds such a nice kick to the salad

IMG_5562Also added some roasted celery root and sweet potatoes on top. YUMMY still one of my favorite ways to eat my salad.

I tried something new for Gary one night for dinner…black bean spaghetti. I am not much of a pasta person so I did not have any but I did take one taste of the black bean pasta. It was alright, basically tasted exactly what it is called ;)

IMG_5604I mixed in some olive oil and roasted onions, peppers, and spices.

Verdict of black bean (gluten free) pasta:

• Easy to make.
  • Taste just like black beans.
  • Good flavor.
  • Good source of protein.
  • Gary liked it!

I love being to make him things that are different and he ends up liking it. My goal is to make sure he gets variety in his diet too ;) And since I am the chef in the family he has to eat what I make!

Twins Question: Have you ever had black bean pasta before?

Lori

Alex January 20, 2011 at 7:43 am

I’ve wanted to try black bean pasta-but I haven’t seen it yet. When I do, I am definitely snagging it!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 20, 2011 at 7:43 am

Black bean pasta…interesting!! I’d like to eat least try it!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 20, 2011 at 7:46 am

I’ve never even heard of black bean pasta! But…I’d like to at least give it a try!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 20, 2011 at 7:51 am

No, I saw it at the health food store and almost bought it. I will probably give it a try some time. I am not much of a pasta person either, but I like finding new fun foods to play with! Now that I have done rutabaga, I want to try celery root! That salad sounds perfect!

Pure2 January 20, 2011 at 9:09 am

Sarena, I just love celery root sometimes, it adds such an different flavor to things. Usually put it in sauces but sometimes I like it roasted ;)

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey January 20, 2011 at 8:12 am

I’ve been having green smoothies pretty frequently, too! I remember Katie @ Chocolate Covered Katie wrote about that black bean pasta a while back… but I’m with you: I’m not much of a pasta fan. :)

megan @ the oatmeal diaries January 20, 2011 at 8:14 am

I know what I’m having for lunch- salad with avocado and sweet potatoes!! :)

Pure2 January 20, 2011 at 9:09 am

Yes megan try it, I think you will like it! :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 20, 2011 at 9:08 am

I made black bean pasta for me and my boyfriend a few months ago and we both loved it. It was AMAZING with a tempeh bolognese sauce, and you really cannot beat the protein in it!!

Ashley January 20, 2011 at 9:43 am

Wow..nope! I’ve never even seen it!! I just saw that Ezekiel makes sprouted pasta. I can’t wait to try it once I’m eating wheat again. Although it’s pretty pricey!

Lauren January 20, 2011 at 9:44 am

I have had the black bean pasta in my cabinet for months! I always forget to use it! ThAnks for the reminder! Xo

Lori January 20, 2011 at 11:25 am

Oh, that sounds kinda good. I bet it would be amazing with cilantro or a slight Spanish flare! Black bean pasta is new to me but I’m so up for trying it!
Oh, and I am loving that sweet potato salad with avos! And load me up with ginger, too!

Gillian Young January 20, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I definitely struggle to get my man to eat variety! I wonder if he would dig this? I was thinking of sneaking some quinoa pasta his way?? I think I would love these, I love black beans! And that salad looks divine!!

Katie January 20, 2011 at 1:47 pm

The black bean pasta kind of weirds me out, to be honest.

I looked all over for a jump rope at the gym today and couldn’t find one!

Pure2 January 20, 2011 at 2:42 pm

haha Katie, I know right, not the most flattering color, haha

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) January 20, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Black bean pasta is definitely a new concept to me, but I love pasta and like black beans, so I’ll bet I’d like black bean pasta :)

hihorosie January 20, 2011 at 10:58 pm

black bean pasta?! I gotta find that! hee hee!

Ela January 21, 2011 at 12:33 am

I’ve never heard of black bean pasta before: thanks for sharing! I’ve never been much of a pasta eater, for obvious reasons, but I love the noodle texture, and love black beans, so I’ll look out for this now I know it exists!

Oh, and I love lots of ginger grated into salads: super yummy!

susan January 26, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I was buying black bean pasta from my health food store but it went out of business! I cant find it anywhere-gluten free black bean pasta. anyone know the name of the manufacturer or any place who carries it?

thanks

Pure2 January 27, 2011 at 6:01 am

Susan – you can buy black bean pasta here, https://www.navanfoods.com/Explore_Asian_Black_Bean_Spaghetti

Sue Petronella March 26, 2012 at 5:24 am

My husband is Italian but unfortunately he is diabetic. Even if I give him whole wheat pasta, his sugar spikes way up. The same with brown rice pastas. I have been substituting spagetti squash for some of my recipes but its just not like pasta. I just found black bean pasta at my local health food store, I can’t wait to try it.

Black Bean Noodles May 11, 2012 at 5:35 am

We just created a new pasta that we are going to start marketing. We mixed black bean flour (dry edible beans) USA grown 50% with 50% whole wheat flour. We also mixed 50% black bean flour with 50% brown rice flour. Please click on our link to check out our new Black Bean Penne Pasta. We are in the process of labeling it for resale. It was processed and packaged at a noodle facility that makes normal pasta.