Mung Beans for protein

by Lori and Michelle on February 27, 2011

Lately, we have been enjoying the sprouted Mung Beans from TruRoots, same place we get the lentils.

Welcome our newest protein source MUNG BEANS!

Mung Beans are a great protein source (10g of protein per serving) and by having them sprouted activates the enzymes making it more easily digestible and absorbable awesome right! We have noticed our bodies do better with sprouted legumes and grains, but we also noticed our bodies prefer to have them cooked.

For us, raw sprouted beans and legumes do not sit well with us. Although there is nothing wrong with having raw legumes, grains, etc…some people can handle it better than others.

We tried the sprouted mung beans out similar to when we tried to making lentil socca. Again, we get a lot of request from people asking if socca can be made with other things besides garbanzo because they cannot have them for whatever reason. And like we mentioned in our lentil attempts, the authentic way Socca is made is with garbanzo beans. But there is no problem with doing it differently, you know we are big fans of variety and doing things differently :) For our first time making it we did half mung beans and half garbanzo beans, we plan to try it with all mung beans and see how it goes here soon!

Pure2raw recipe: Mung Bean Socca

• 1 1/4 cups water
  • 1/2 cup sprouted mung beans
  • 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
  • 2 pinches sea salt
  • 1 tsp chili powder

Place all ingredients into Vitamix blender and blend.

Pour batter into hot oiled skillet and cook on one side to well done, maybe 5-8 minutes, than carefully flip and cook for a few more minutes.  We made this mung bean socca following our skillet version of socca.

We got the inspiration to try mung beans from a client/friend/blog reader that informed us she has made it out of sprouted mung beans, and said it came out. So we of course wanted to try it ourselves :) Thanks Joi!

We just loved how it naturally gets more fluffy! It was nice and moist too. I know we will be making this again!

Now in terms of flavor, this will taste like mung beans just like how socca taste like garbanzo beans. But the great thing is you can add spices or put your favorite spread on top to jazz it up! Looking for ideas, check our socca tribute plus a cookbook is one the way.

We hope you enjoy this version of making our beloved socca without garbanzo beans!

Do you enjoy eating mung beans? How do you prepare them?

Alex February 27, 2011 at 9:05 am

OoooOOOooooOOoo…..That looks so yummy-kinda cake-like…

I have had mung beans once before….but sadly I can’t remember what it tastes like :( I will have to try it again I guess!!!!

Pure2 February 27, 2011 at 9:16 am

Thanks Alex, and yes you do ;) We were surprised how much we liked their flavor!

lynn @ the actor's diet February 27, 2011 at 9:26 am

your soca recipes always look so great. i gotta try it!

Pure2 February 27, 2011 at 10:24 am

Thanks Lynn!

melissa @ the delicate place February 27, 2011 at 9:32 am

i don’t do legumes either (omg peanuts are the worst :( this is an interesting idea to try!

Pure2 February 27, 2011 at 10:25 am

Melissa, we do not do well with peanuts either!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) February 27, 2011 at 10:43 am

I’ve never had mung beans but I am ferry fond of all other legumes, so I’d love to try them! And soccer! Yum

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) February 27, 2011 at 10:44 am

Very, typo! Darn autofill on iPad lol

Pure2 February 27, 2011 at 11:17 am

haha it is ok Jenn! I got it :)

Christine (The Raw Project) February 27, 2011 at 10:59 am

Yum, looks like another amazing socca version to try! I was thinking about buying dried mung beans on my last Whole Foods trip, now I will for sure! Thanks for the recipe!

Chantal February 27, 2011 at 11:35 am

You’ve gotten me hooked on socca just so you know… and now I’ve just found another way to fuel that obsession, thanks ;) I loooooove mung beans. (and your recipes!)

Pure2 February 27, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Awesome Chantal :) xoxo

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 27, 2011 at 11:36 am

I’ve never had mung beans in their original form before, but mung bean pasta is delicious and has SO much protein! Love it!

Pure2 February 27, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Gabriela, mung bean pasta – that sounds interesting!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 27, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I have been WAY into mung beans this winter! I made a mung bean soup a while back that I absolutely loved!

Pure2 February 27, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Anna that sounds wonderful!

Katey @ Bonne Santé February 27, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Another killer socca recipe! It’s probably the most versatile recipe, ever!

Pure2 February 27, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Yes Katey it is :)

Emma February 27, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Yum! I’d love to try this version. I’ve had a bag of dried mung beans for ages and haven’t known what to do with them. If I’m sprouting my beans from scratch would I have to dehydrate them before grinding them?

Pure2 February 27, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Emma, no not necessarliy I would maybe use less water in overall. We have noticed the little thicker the batter with mung beans the better it comes out.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 27, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I have sprouted mung beans in the fridge right now! We sprout them here and love them! Mostly we put them in our fried rice, stir fries, soups and omelets! This looks delicious!

Pure2 February 27, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Sarena yay for sprouted mung beans!

Katie February 27, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I finally got garbanzo flour!!

Pure2 February 27, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Yay Katie!!!!

Lauren February 27, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I like mung beans hin my salads! I had mung bean pasta recently and it tasted like ruberbands! Lol! But mung bean socca sounds awesome! You ladies have reinvented socca!

Pure2 February 27, 2011 at 3:35 pm

aww thanks Lauren!

MarathonVal February 27, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I’m so curious about mung beans! I’ve heard so much about mung bean pasta but can’t find it anywhere around here… until then, I LOVE the traditional socca recipe!

Ela February 27, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I’ve been enjoying sprouting mung beans and putting them in salads–but I throw them in smoothies too. I’ve still only made socca that one time–am so looking forward to doing it again and this is a great idea!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 27, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Mung beans…well, I have only eaten them sprouted but just got a sprouting tray and am gonna try my hand at sprouting my own!

Love the cute clothes in your last post…adorable!

Love your latest socca creation!!!

Jennifer Leonard (big sis) February 28, 2011 at 10:28 am

Yummy mung beans! Great photos, watch your ‘constrain proportions’ when you scale your type…. :-)

Pure2 February 28, 2011 at 11:27 am

Will do sis!

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey February 28, 2011 at 10:35 am

What a wonderful idea! I have recently tried socca per your posts, and I am loving it! I’ve made a savory and a sweet version so far. I think the carrot cake version is up next, and after that I might try a cinnamon raisin version. :)

Pure2 February 28, 2011 at 11:30 am

Kelsey – enjoy all the socca recipes, we love them all!

Niv February 28, 2011 at 11:01 am

That looks very healthy and filling. You could also try using split mung(yellow in color) which is available in most Asian / Indian grocery stores. You have to basically soak the mung for atleast 4 hours, drain and then grind it using very less water. You can spice it up by adding some ginger,cumin seeds and salt. You can make thin pancakes using this batter. You probably find this recipe very easily if you google. Enjoy.

Pure2 February 28, 2011 at 11:31 am

Niv – thanks for sharing.

hihorosie February 28, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Fun! I love how creative you get and brave you are for trying new things to share with us. I’ve never used mung beans before so I gotta check these out.

(what runs) Lori February 28, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I love mung sprouts for the protein and nutrition. I do not love them for the crunch and the taste… that being said, I would totally try this still. ;)
They look good and the chickpea four is pretty strong- maybe enough to “mask” some of the bean flavor… along with amazing toppings, right?

Pure2 February 28, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Lori – yes both balanced out well in terms of flavor. Adding seasonings and toppings always helps too!

emma February 28, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Pretty ladies! Your photos are absolutely wonderful!

Alsion March 22, 2011 at 10:15 am

Hi – i have a silly question. I’ve never made socca before but I happen to have a bag of the sprouted mung beans on my counter right now. I can’t tell from the recipe – but I’m guessing I soak the beans before grinding? Or just grind the dry beans? Thanks!

Pure2 March 22, 2011 at 10:39 am

Alison, you can do it either way. Just taking the dry mung beans and grinding them into flour and scooper one cup of the mung bean flour to make the socca should work. If you decide to soak the mung beans that is fine too, though we have found that it works best if the beans are dry when making it into flour, so if you soak you may want to dry the beans before making it into flour via dehydrator or oven (like roasted them). I hope that makes sense. We have also done socca before using whole soaked mung beans before but it did not really turn out that great. But experiment and have fun with it. But if this is your first time I would try just taking the dry beans and grinding into flour to make the socca. Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks

christel December 10, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Jut tried the lentil socca and it tastes good although it took a long time to cook and that may be due to my confusion in reading the recipe. When you say 1/2 cup sprouted mung beans/lentils etc, do you mean 1/2 cup before they sprout or 1/2 cup after they have sprouted. My 1 cup of non-sprouted lentils had turned into almost 4 cups of sprouted lentils so the batter may have been way too thick. Thanks for clarifying this for me and thank you for your recipes and blogs.

Lori and Michelle December 11, 2011 at 9:50 am

Christel – 1/2 cup after being sprouted. Sorry for the confusion, glad you liked them!

Alison March 22, 2011 at 10:44 am

thanks for the quick reply!

Pure2 March 22, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Yep! Let us know if you have any more questions :) Hope it turns out!!