Lentil Socca!

by Lori and Michelle on February 8, 2011

IMG_5677

Hello luvs,

We finally tried to make socca another way besides always using garbanzo bean flour. We have shown our first attempt of making lentil socca before and really like it. We have received lots of request for making socca using different ‘flours’ so here it is friends another way to make this easy flavorful bread we call socca ;)

Can our beloved SOCCA be made without garbanzo bean flour?

Answer: YES

Just the taste and texture comes out a little different. But that is ok we are all about being different ;)

Plus we are really trying hard to get variety into our diet! And this lentil based flatbread is just want we needed to carry our love of socca to the next level.

IMG_5676

Lentil Socca:

• 1 cup lentils (we use sprouted lentils for this recipe)
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2-4 tbsp oil of choice (olive oil, coconut oil, or ghee for those non-vegans would be a good choice too)

** additional ingredients: any seasonings you like; in the pictures of our lentil socca we threw in whole coriander seeds (so good)

Directions:

Place water, sprouted lentils, and salt into blender and blend till everything is well combined.

**note- you have to use a blender or food processor when using lentils because we have found this provides the best results for the flatbread/pancake texture you are wanting

Once you have your batter ready pour it into a 10 inch pan. (If you have a 8 or 12 inch pan that is fine, your socca will either be thicker or thinner than the one shown here).

You may either bake lentil socca at 375 or 400 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. Or you can place on skillet on stovetop and cook for about 10-15 minutes.

**note- we have never baked our lentil socca only done it on the skillet

How do you tell when the lentil socca is done?

With the lentil socca we have found it puffs up more than the typically garbanzo bean based soccas.

We just touch the socca with our finger and see how it feels, if it feels like it is cooked and not real wet feeling than it is done!  You can always cook your socca longer if you want to make sure it is really done ;)

IMG_5686

Perfect till the last bite! I am craving it again – better go make me a batch.

IMG_5689Seriously love our new lentil socca!!! So different and delicious. If you love lentils than you will love this because it taste just like lentils! haha

This version we did on the skillet and it got a real nice crispy outside with a soft, moist inside! Perfect! Tasted just like bread to us.

Go now and try this new way to make socca with lentils!

We are so happy to be seeing our blog friends and hearing from our readers – making socca and loving it!! Awesome! We love hearing the different ways people enjoy their socca. We are going to start up a socca club, stay tune for details.

Plus check out our dear friend Ashley who just made a socca pizza! We need to make that now!

Twins Question:  If you could have one thing in life what would that be?

Lori

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 8, 2011 at 7:25 am

Y’all have started a Socca revolution!!! Not that I’m complaining :-)

Pure2 February 8, 2011 at 9:40 am

Aww thanks Anna!!

Alex February 8, 2011 at 7:42 am

mmmm…I love this idea! I really love the taste of lentils (sometimes more than garbanzo) it is noce to change it up! Thanks for the recipe, girls!

Katy February 8, 2011 at 8:00 am

MY HEROES!!!!!

Pure2 February 8, 2011 at 9:41 am

xoxo Katy!

Joi February 8, 2011 at 8:03 am

YEAH! You did it and it looks sooo good. Now I’ve only baked my socca. I’ve not cooked it in a pan on the stove, but that’s next. I’m trying sprouted adzuki bean “socca” tonight! Let you know how it goes.

Pure2 February 8, 2011 at 9:41 am

Joi thanks for letting us know trying lentils and good luck with the adzuki bean!

Linda February 8, 2011 at 8:05 am

Looks good! Do I have to use sprouted lentils or can I just grind up dried lentils like I do for the chickpea socca?

Pure2 February 8, 2011 at 9:42 am

Linda, you do not have to use sprouted lentils, I think taking regular lentils and grinding them would be just fine.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 8, 2011 at 8:10 am

If we are talking food, it would be oats. If we are talking something it would be my family. The flat bread looks delicious! Have a great day ladies!

Lauren February 8, 2011 at 8:27 am

Oh yum, lentils make everything better! Gotta make this!

Kristina @ life as Kristina February 8, 2011 at 8:29 am

I still haven’t tried the garbonzo bean socca yet!!!!! I gotta get on this-ASAP!
I would want a super speedy metabolism so I could eat and eat and eat!

Pure2 February 8, 2011 at 9:42 am

haha Kristina that would be nice ;)

Callie February 8, 2011 at 9:28 am

Ok, I can’t take it anymore – I’m totally making Socca this weekend :) I’ve never attempted, but I did love it while in Nice, so, I’m going to give it go (finally).

Oh and that pizza looks ridic, I might be making one of those out my socca – That is, if it turns out, ha…

Pure2 February 8, 2011 at 9:43 am

Yes Callie go make yourself some ;)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 8, 2011 at 9:36 am

One thing in life? That’s so hard!! I think though, that I’d want to be happy for my whole life. Most things can be taken away from you, but happiness is what really matters!

Pure2 February 8, 2011 at 9:43 am

Gabriela so true!!!

lindsay February 8, 2011 at 9:56 am

I’m lovin all the socca recipes in the blogger world! You gals are a true inspiration. Thank you!

Holly February 8, 2011 at 10:05 am

you ladies are pure genius. no pun intended :)

p.s. thanks for that lovely photo shoutout awhile ago! i totally keep meaning to comment then getting distracted at work. i mean, come on co-workers, i’m reading pure2raw. layoff me! :)

Pure2 February 8, 2011 at 10:38 am

aww thanks Holly :)

Ashley February 8, 2011 at 10:29 am

Thanks for the socca shout out! ;) I love the idea of lentil socca. It looks amazing. I was thinking of trying to make millet socca with millet flour…or maybe half chickpea half millet?? We’ll see!

Pure2 February 8, 2011 at 10:39 am

Yes Ashley that sounds great- we love millet, so I think that is a great idea!!!

JessicaR February 8, 2011 at 10:57 am

I am so excited! I have a chickpea allergy and was so bummed out to see all of the socca recipes I couldn’t participate in. :( However, I have sprouted lentils at home right now and will be making this tonight. Socca at last! Thanks for the recipe! :)

Pure2 February 8, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Jessica – yay, so happy you can now enjoy socca with lentils! We have another non garbanzo bean socca recipe to share soon!!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 8, 2011 at 11:30 am

I love lentils! I’m glad to see that I can make socca with ingredients I have on hand! Yummers :) you two are genious.

bitt of raw February 8, 2011 at 2:16 pm

We’ve made socca pizza too. Now that I am doing an no-grain experiment I will have to try your lentil one too. I posted Chris’s recipe on my blog today just because it seemed slightly different than yours, but linked to yours too. He managed to make and flip on the stovetop. I was impressed.

(what runs) Lori February 8, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Seriously- yum. As always. But still- yum.

One thing in life i would would take if I could would be to work full time as a health consultant or personal trainer/life motivator. I LOVE helping others… just haven’t found a way to provide (pay) for living… :)

Pure2 February 8, 2011 at 4:13 pm

We hear ya Lori, us too!

Hayley February 8, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Hey beautiful girls, this looks amazing! I still haven’t tried the original garbanzo bean socca yet. Yeah, I know, what am I waiting for? I just have no time to cook these days so I’m lucky if can throw stuff in the blender for a smoothie for dinner haha. But I really want to try it! And be part of the socca club, which sounds like an adorable idea.

That is a deep question to finish off a light post! :) But I just want to always be a compassionate and happy person. Life is short. Let’s enjoy it and treat each other well!

Pure2 February 8, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Hayley – no worries on the socca, we know your day to join us will come :) and yes life is short, live it up!

Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! February 8, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Wow–this looks totally amazing, and I can’t wait to make it! About how many servings does it make? Just trying to figure out the nutritionals…Thanks so much! :)

Pure2 February 8, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Gavi- we normally split it, so I would say two servings, but everyone is different.

Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! February 8, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Also…are the lentils raw or cooked at the start?? Thanks so much!

Pure2 February 8, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Gavi – lentils are raw to start

Christine (The Raw Project) February 8, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Yay, another socca version to try – thanks! I’d better sprout more lentils! :-)

Today’s question is tough! I guess love and relationships would be my one thing. :-)

Ela February 8, 2011 at 10:41 pm

What a deep question and what an awesome post! I loved socca that one time I made it, but I really prefer the idea of making things with whole beans (especially if the Vitamix is going to take care of it anyway, lol)! and how perfect serendipity: I’d been thinking of trying something just like this myself. And I’d been thinking of topping it with pesto and marinated mushrooms, kinda pizza-like–will let you know if I do it.

If I could have anything, what would it be? Does it have to be just one thing? Probably an unerring sense of when is the right time to act, to speak, to publish, to be tough love or soft love. An unerring sense of timing…

Pure2 February 9, 2011 at 4:43 am

Ela – yes, let us know if you make a whole bean socca like this, we seem to like it so far :)

hihorosie February 8, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Awesome, girlies! Thanks for experimenting for us and sharing the results and recipe. This will be fun to try. I have a feeling my bambino will LOVE this!

Pure2 February 9, 2011 at 4:43 am

Heidi – your welcome girl, we have no problem eating socca after socca :) And yes your little one will love it!!

Anna February 9, 2011 at 8:25 am

I have yellow split peas in my kitchen, I wonder if that would work as well?

Pure2 February 9, 2011 at 9:22 am

Anna give it a try maybe try one cup split peas to one cup water. Try equal amounts first. Good luck!

carrie February 9, 2011 at 3:38 pm

If you bake the socca – do you still use the oil for anything? Do i “grease” the pan before putting the batter in? Thanks – I’m excited to try this!

Pure2 February 9, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Carrie, yes the main purpose of oil – is what ‘bakes’- ‘cooks’- the socca. When you bake the socca yes you need oil. I would recommend 2-3 tbsp of your oil of choice into the pan, place in oven for a few minutes to melt the butter or oil, than remove hot oil from oven and pour your socca batter into the hot oiled pan. Than place back into oven and cook for about 25-35 minutes or till desired texture is reached. Let me know if there is anything else.

crazy me crazy with three February 10, 2011 at 7:57 pm

So i got to make this today *mini break down dance* first one was a fail but then i got it right and call me crazy it reminded me of banana bread? maybe the texture? very good!

Pure2 February 10, 2011 at 7:59 pm

yay!!! so glad you liked the lentil socca, yes it took us a few times to get it right too

Indre June 23, 2011 at 9:46 am

I just did green lentil socca (not sprouted, just soaked some minutes..i could be more patient but still its good). Added corriander, and its amazing! yammi! i will buy chickpea flour and will start my experiments :) Thank you girls!

Pure2 June 23, 2011 at 10:36 am

Awesome lndre!!! love lentil socca ;)

Mandiee June 23, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I just bought some sprouted green lentils so I could make this. I absolutely adore socca and can’t wait to try this variation. I was wondering if you would recommend using the water+lentil in Vita-Mix method or just simply grinding the lentils into a flour using a coffee grinder then whisking it with water. Was using your Vita the reason why it got so fluffy? Was it “textured” or like normal socca? I’m so curious!

Have a lovely day!

Pure2 June 24, 2011 at 5:09 am

Mandiee, we have done it both ways. We have found that if you make the lentil flour first and then scoop out a cup and then add the water comes out better. You can still blend that in the blender. We did not grind our lentils to be fine flour, so when we blended did give it a little texture. We have found different flours all provide a different texture than regular socca. Try to make your batter more on the thick side when doing lentils, comes out better.

Emma February 26, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Hi! I recently stumbled across your website and am so glad i did! There are so many recipes I can’t wait to try!
This morning I tried the lentil socca but it didn’t turn out at all! I did it exactly how you said, on the skillet for 15 minutes, but all that happened was the bottom got really crispy and started to burn in the middle while the top was still cOmpletely mushy. It was not like a bread texture at all :( just wondering what I did wrong? My pan is a 12 inch one and I started with the heat on high but gradually turned it down when I saw it wasn’t cooking. Any advice? I’m so keen to get it right!
Thanks so much,
Emma

Lori and Michelle February 29, 2012 at 6:35 am

Emma, glad you found our site too. In terms of socca, it is not really bread texture at tall, even the original. It is more a flatbread, can be made crispy or soft and gooey. Original socca is made from garbanzo beans, you can see all our recipes here http://www.pure2raw.com/socca-tribute/

Lentil socca is a bit more tricky than using garbanzo bean flour because it is not as fine. And have different texture. I would try doing the lentil socca in the oven. We notice a big difference between sprouted and non sprouted lentils when making it. I would try using sprouted lentils. It too us a few times to get it right, and every time we make it does come out a little different. But that is what we like about socca flatbread.

Melaina March 17, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I have been dying to make this socca bread but I try to stay away from beans… they don’t exactly agree with my stomach :/ I’ve seen that ounce for ounce, garbanzo bean flour is the same weight as millet flour… do you think this would work as a socca alternative??? Let me know! Love your recipes!!

Lori and Michelle March 18, 2012 at 6:10 am

Melaina -yes we have heard from others who have made it with millet flour and it worked.

Keshia October 11, 2012 at 10:02 am

Hi girls…

Quick question before i start my socca…i understand using the oil when cooking on the skillet/pan, but do you still need it if you are baking it?

Thanks and have a lovely day!

Lori and Michelle October 30, 2012 at 6:06 am

Keshia yes as the oil helps bake it and hold it together

Norah March 13, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Oh my god!!! You guys are geniuses!!!!!! I loved it waaaaaay better than chickpea socca :) thank you for the awesome recipe!! Definitely making more of it in the future! Already a favorite!!