Leek Zucchini Pasta Salad

by Lori and Michelle on March 13, 2011

There are a few “superfoods” that are good to enjoy when fighting candida:

• garlic
  • onions
  • leeks

We have been enjoying them all, not all at once of course.

raw leek hemp seeds zucchini pasta

Although we have been noticing our stomachs do not seem to like the “superfoods” of garlic, leeks, and onions. We actually noticed this before we started our candida diet, but we just love them so kept eating them sparingly. We feel we might have to take a break from eating them, which is sad because we know they are so powerful in killing off yeast!! But to be honest we do not enjoy the “gas” we get from eating them. Oh what to do

Twins Question: Does anyone else notice this with these yeast fighting superfoods?

And before we leave we wanted to share this last picture…Michelle just loved it. No editing to it.

hemp seed zucchini pasta

Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday! Did you remember to turn back your clocks?

P2raw twins

Gillian March 13, 2011 at 8:04 am

Such a gorgeous looking salads! One of my favourite things to do is to roast up a bunch of veggies with onions, leeks and garlics. The leeks crisp up almost like kale chips and are SO yummy!!

Pure2 March 13, 2011 at 9:18 am

Yes Gillian leeks are one of Lori’s favorite things! Love the flavor they provide dishes

nadia March 13, 2011 at 8:13 am

the reason its giving you an upset stomach/gas is because its killing the candida! you should def. try to keep eating them.

Pure2 March 13, 2011 at 9:19 am

Thanks Nadia, that is what we thought, we will try to keep eating them ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 13, 2011 at 8:14 am

The dish looks delicious! It definitely takes trying things out for a while to find out what works for you. I can’t eat the peel of apples. They tear me up, which is sad because I eat a lot of apples, but have to peel them. I hope you two find what works for you. Have a great Sunday!

Pure2 March 13, 2011 at 9:20 am

Sarena we have issues with apples like that too and cucumbers, we have to peel cucumbers when we eat them.

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan March 13, 2011 at 8:32 am

Yummy! :) Omigosh I haven’t turned back my clock thanks for the reminder!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 13, 2011 at 8:33 am

That looks really good! I’d totally eat garlic, onions, and leeks together. :)

Could it be the raw form of garlic, onions, and leeks that don’t agree with you? Raw veggies are very hard to digest, hence why we only absorb about half of the calories/nutrients from them. Have you tried them cooked?

Pure2 March 13, 2011 at 9:20 am

Jenn thanks, yes we have done them both raw and cooked, we think we are having issues because they are killing off our yeast, so over time I think it will get better!

crazy me crazy with three March 13, 2011 at 8:43 am

Ever sence i got my galblader remove i can handle onions unless its sweet onions dont know why but onions burn my gut but hot peppers dont go fiqure

melissa @ the delicate place March 13, 2011 at 9:03 am

i ended up sleeping really late today not even counting the time change weird! have you tried roasting the garlic a reallly really long time so that it’s sweet? it doesn’t even taste like garlic and makes it super easy to digest. sounds gross but i ate like 3 whole cloves last night with a roast chicken dish! no tummy probs! and things like onions (esp raw or slightly undercooked bug me)

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin March 13, 2011 at 9:17 am

I’ve noticed any time I add a super-cleansing food to my diet, or even just increase my raw intake, I experience some gas at first. From what I’ve read, I assume this is the cleansing food stirring up some acidic waste that needs to be removed! (and can’t necessarily be released as quickly as we’d like it to) Perhaps stepping up the colon cleansing would help? Or adding some extra cooked food to your meals that have these super-cleansers, to slow down the detox?

Love your pictures– so pretty! :D

Pure2 March 13, 2011 at 9:22 am

Thanks Megan those are great ideas. Yes we always seem to forget that when we add in something new or powerful to our diet our body reacts to it, you would think we would remember this ;) haha

Lisa March 13, 2011 at 10:04 am

I find the same thing with garlic, onions, etc…I still use them as accessories :)
This salad looks great!

veganlisa March 13, 2011 at 11:48 am

I don’t notice any digestive issues with garlic, onions or leaks but I had to add a comment to tell you both that your photos are amazing. In the last little while I have really been impressed with the images you’ve been posting. You certainly make your eats look very enticing.

Pure2 March 13, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Aww thanks Lisa, we try, still learning a lot about photography ;)

Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 13, 2011 at 12:46 pm

that looks fantastic! where do you think i can find the least expensive spiralizer out there?

Pure2 March 13, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Emma I would try Amazon that is where we got ours or ebay that might have some!

Katie March 13, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I’ve heard onions and garlic can do that – but I agree with Melissa. Slow roasted garlic is not only delicious, but I can eat it plain and never get bloated or upset stomach issues.

This zucchini dish looks great – hard to go wrong with those ingredients.

Pure2 March 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Thanks Katie we will have to slow roasted again, we have eaten that before a few years ago and I don’t remember what I felt like afterwards so I will have it again!!!

Lisa @ Thrive Style March 13, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Yep—onions, garlics, etc are pretty harsh on me too! I try and use them as accessories to my meal :)

That salad looks great!

bitt of raw March 13, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I was going to say what Jenn said. Gas is awful and I get it from time to time, sometimes enzymes help. If you ND/MD says thats OK for you.

I bet your breath smells lovely. :-)

Pure2 March 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm

haha Bitt lovely breath LOL

nelly March 13, 2011 at 4:09 pm

looks and sounds really good. although i had no idea you could actually eat a leek raw…for some reason i thought it might be really powerful…i actually can’t eat onions unless they are pickled…marinated or cooked…

hope you can find some relief and continue to eat the superfoods.

Pure2 March 13, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Thanks Nelly! Yes we love raw leeks especially if it mixed with a healthy fat to make it less intense. But cooking them is delicious too!

lynn @ the actor's diet March 13, 2011 at 9:35 pm

green green goodness!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 13, 2011 at 9:51 pm

What a pretty salad! I love all the green. It looks like a star salad, yum :)

Marty March 14, 2011 at 12:56 am

Love, love the photo’s! I would prob SLIGHTLY steam the leeks and/or zucchini – as my stomach wouldn’t like the all-raw too, esp the leeks!

Any suggestion on what brand of spiralizer to look for?

Beth March 14, 2011 at 6:22 am

This looks amazing and sooo pretty. I am definitely going to make this soon. Always looking for new ways to get my mom into eating raw zucchini!

Katie March 14, 2011 at 2:23 pm

This looks so good, ladies! I just took down my food processor to make some cheezy sauce and noticed my spiralizer, looking so sad and lonely. I’ve been wanting to make a creamy “pasta” like this, and I’m bookmarking it!

Pure2 March 14, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Thanks Katie!

sarah March 14, 2011 at 7:10 pm

you all have me hooked on socca! – especially with lots of oregano and olives. i haven’t tried the stove top but they keep sticking when i bake them. i oil the pans, have tried glass, metal, and foil pans and none have worked – any ideas?

hihorosie March 15, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Oooh, that looks good! Love the color! It would be great for St. Patty’s Day!

GF3000 March 30, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Yes. Moderate amounts of onions and garlic can be rough on the stomach. What you eat these foods with could be the problem? My stomach/body acts up if there is a food allergy or a food combining issue. The 20+ year old book “Fit for Life” takes a lot of heat, but the basic concepts work for me. Eat fruits first and on an empty stomach. Don’t mix carbs and proteins, since they both require different digestive juices. Eat your carbs or proteins with a vegetable, since vegetables will properly digest in an acidic or alkaline envirnonment. For example, I eat a portion of salmon with some asparagus, and my stomach is silent…no gas, no bloating, nothing. Proper food combining has given me extra energy. The book is a bit mind blowing in the year 2011…imagine how it was received in 1985!

Pure2 March 31, 2011 at 4:39 am

Thank you for sharing, we do watch our food combining. A great tool for proper digestion.

LaLa May 5, 2011 at 7:37 am

I got your website off of bodyrock..I love this site totally! Thank you so much for putting in so much time and effort in creating a wonderful site for all to use.
Question about this salad…how many servings does this recipe make?

Pure2 May 5, 2011 at 8:01 am

thanks Lala :) salad serving all depends – can be for one or two people. Sometimes I eat one to myself and sometimes I split with my twin sister all depends what else I have eaten that day and how hungry I am :)