Sprouting

by Lori and Michelle on March 28, 2011

We have been wanting to share how we sprout post for some time now. Finally getting around to it!

We consider ourselves new to sprouting.

We have only sprouted garbanzo beans, quinoa, and buckwheat before. Now during this candida cleanse we are focusing on getting variety into our diet, so we expanded our sprouting list.

Most things we have read say not to have “grains” on a candida diet. This is one reason we sprout our  pseudograins. There are mixed reviews about “grains” , so  it is your personal preference. You have to pick your battles….what not to eat and what is allowed.

Sprouting makes it much easier to digest, which is always welcomed in our house!

Sprouted quinoa and buckwheat, our favorites! Love seeing them grow back to life….and got to love the little tails!  (sorry for this being distorted, not sure what happened)

Sprouts are packed with nutrition!!! And you can sprout lots of things like nuts, seeds, and grains. From our research here our some key takeaways that we learned:

• Once sprouted it gets rid of the enzyme inhibitors.
  • Sprouted seeds increase in protein while decreasing in carbohydrates as the seed uses the carbohydrate energy stored inside to grow.
  • Soaking also breaks down the glutens and hard to digest proteins into smaller and easier to digest components.

Sprouted mung beans

Sprouted lentils.

We try to always at least soak and rinse if we cannot sprout.

Sprouting is really easy….we do it our own way just like most things ;)

We soak our ingredient, whether it be quinoa, millet, or lentils, over night in a bowl covered in water. Rinse them really well in the morning. Leave the seed or legume in the colander with bowl underneath, cover and let sprout. We rinse throughout the day. Most things we let sprout for 1-2 days. Although garbanzo beans seem longer.

We have not tried other sprouting like alfalfa and broccoli.

Twins Question: Have you tried sprouting? If so, what? Did you like it? For those of you who fighting candida, what are your thoughts on grains?

P2R twins

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 28, 2011 at 5:51 am

I’ve been wanting to try sprouting for a while, but haven’t done it yet!

Jackie @ Baking Charms March 28, 2011 at 6:01 am

I just bought a can of garbanzo beans and really want to give something like this a try! Sprouts are so yummy on salads :)

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free March 28, 2011 at 6:47 am

FUN! I need to sprout more often…I really like sprouting beans like mung beans, chickpeas, and green peas….What are you going to do with all of your sprouts?

Pure2 March 28, 2011 at 7:57 am

Alex – we normally grind them into flour and make socca, or we cook them regularly on the stovetop and eat with a salad, or some of them we eat raw in a salad.

Lauren March 28, 2011 at 6:51 am

Next on my list is sprouting! Right now we are doing the wheatgrass thing, but after that it’s onto sprouting! ;)

Ilana March 28, 2011 at 7:27 am

I sprout! Love sprouting- right now I have mung seeds soaking, I usually do mung beans, lentils, and broccoli seeds yum!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin March 28, 2011 at 7:35 am

I’m in love with sprouting so far! I’m pretty new to it as well, only having sprouted alfalfa, but I’ve ordered some new seeds and beans to try sprouting next! Do you ladies order specific “sprouting” lentils and mung beans? I ordered some from Blue Mountain Organics, but I wasn’t sure if I had to order those, or if any seeds and beans would work…

As far as Candida goes, I’m not sure how I feel about grains yet. From what I’ve read on the subject, the Body Ecology diet believes in eating grains every day, but avoiding starches like sweet potatoes. Natalia Rose’s philosophy is the exact opposite– enjoy sweet potatoes, but avoid grains! So confusing. I guess each body is different, so you just have to experiment and figure out what works best for you! I do think sprouting your grains helps a lot!

Pure2 March 28, 2011 at 7:58 am

Megan – no we do not get any special seeds for sprouting. We have always wondered if we should, but regular seeds we get at the store seem to work fine.
Yes I know so confusing!!! Good luck with your sprouting!

Ashley March 28, 2011 at 7:59 am

Awesome post!! The photos are lovely. I definitely want to try sprouting grains. Once we’re settled in the new house. :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 28, 2011 at 8:34 am

I’ve never tried sprouting!! For some reason it kind of intimidates me- I know it has great benefits though!!

Pure2 March 28, 2011 at 10:46 am

Gabriela – completely understand, it took us awhile to become comfortable with sprouting.

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 28, 2011 at 8:53 am

I went a whole year without eating grains to get my digestive (and other health) issues under control! It worked, but now I am gradually experimenting with adding several back in, and I prefer to sprout if I can, since I think it makes everything more bioavailable and easier to digest. Like you said, I at least try to soak everything. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you — I know how awful it is is to feel “off” and less than healthy all the time. Candida cleanses are a true test of the will;such commitment! You are awesome for sticking to it! <3

Pure2 March 28, 2011 at 10:46 am

Thanks Katie we are trying our best!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 28, 2011 at 9:40 am

We always have sprouted mung beans here…in fact I just ate some in my salad. I love sprouted lentils too, but rarely do them.

Emily March 28, 2011 at 9:42 am

I love sprouting! I have been slacking on it lately though, so this post is a good reminder. Mung beans may be my favorite sprouts. May be… hard to choose :) I’ve never tried sprouting grains before; got to give that a try!

Green Shushi March 28, 2011 at 10:36 am

I love sprouting! My mom used to sprout all kinds of seeds and legumes when we were kids and would give us each a handful before going to school. My fave is sprouting dried green peas. YUM!

Pure2 March 28, 2011 at 10:47 am

Nice, we have not tried green peas yet.

crazy me crazy with three March 28, 2011 at 10:57 am

I soak but never sprouted i need to. i find oats and i butt heads maybe because i use the steel cut irish oats? what should i be using?

Pure2 March 28, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Jewel, I am not sure if steel cut irish oats can sprout, I know there are raw oats out there that people have soaked and used raw before.

Mimi (Gingersnaps) March 28, 2011 at 11:51 am

I wish I liked sprouts more. Is there any way to get rid of that chalky taste/mouthfeel they seem to get? I’ve noticed it in almost every sprouted thing I’ve tried.

Pure2 March 28, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Mimi, we have noticed that sprouts sometimes do have a unique flavor, we are still learning the best methods of sprouting to get the best results. I am not sure why sometimes they provide that texture.

Christina March 28, 2011 at 11:57 am

I’ve never tried sprouting but I didn’t realize it was so easy! Great post!

bitt of raw March 28, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I still can’t digest many sprouted legumes but I love sprouted buckwheat. Pretty pics.

Ela March 28, 2011 at 3:13 pm

So glad you’re sprouting! Isn’t it exciting with those little tails, all that life force? So easy too… Have you tried the tiny seeds–alfalfa, clover, fenugreek? Fenugreek is awesome for raw curries.

I haven’t really been eating grains for a long time–they haven’t tended to work for me well. But I’m sure sprouted quinoa and amaranth (and maybe millet and buckwheat too?) might be ok even during candida cleansing.

The one thing to watch out for: sprouts can mold easily, and you want to avoid any of that especially during candida cleansing. I rinse mine with a hydrogen peroxide solution and that seems to take care of it.

Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 28, 2011 at 3:58 pm

thanks for the info! I need to get into sprouting. I love sprouts, it seems so easy, and its a money-saver! What’s not to love?

Lisa @ Thrive Style March 28, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I like to sprout everything in sight :)
I also like to think of the candida issue in levels…so if I was really trying to be aggressive or if I had severe symptoms, I would not eat any of the grains, pseudograins, or legumes (even sprouted). A more moderate approach would probably include some small portions of pseudograins or grains, like no more than 1/2 cup per meal. Right now, I’m trying to balance my candida, and when I say I’m eating no grains…I still end up eating them occasionally maybe a couple times a week. Sprouting helps them digest more easily, but there’s still starch and carbs involved…so I think it seems like (1) a personal experiment with what works and (2) related to what symptoms are going on (and what happens after you eat them).
I like to tell my clients we’re all just our own little science experiments, and those of us who really stick to figuring ourselves out with be the best off!
Thanks for sharing your sprouting info!

Pure2 March 28, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Lisa – thank you!!!! just want I needed to hear! yes i am trying to cut back a little on my grains and legumes intake. Just as you said experimenting!

Katie March 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I’ve got a whole post on sprouting too! I always have some sprouts going. I’ve done pretty much everything that can be sprouted – I love broccoli and radish the most, I think. Not a big fan of lentils though.

Dianne March 29, 2011 at 5:38 am

In addition to Ela’s comment, GSE (grapefruite seed extract) drops can be used as well if concerns for mold are a problem. Sprouting in the summer when it is hot can be an issue for mold. I have a summer kitchen in the basement that is cool in the summer that I do sprouts in as the kitchen upstairs gets way too heated. I have no problems with broccoli sprouts but many friends complain that they mold. Sometimes mold is confused with tiny offshoots that grow of the tails. Some candida diets says to not eat sprouts at all because of the mold issue. If in doubt, simmer them into a soup. It’s only for a few months.
You’ll still get great fibre, vitamins, no enzymes but great digestible food. 50 grams of carbs was my limit when on a very successful candida diet. One thing that saved me, because I felt so hungry while on it was to make yogurt with soy milk. It was a low carb alternative with great protein and probiotics. I would consume 1 cup several times a day, sometimes having a quart as the carbs are so low. It would fill me up and be a satisfying snack.

Pure2 March 29, 2011 at 6:11 am

Thanks Dianne, we will look into the GSE! And yes watching carbs on candida we can see is very beneficial. We are thinking of adding in yogurt here soon.

Allie March 30, 2011 at 8:01 am

I’ve never tried sprouting (but have spent ridiculous amount of money buying sprouted goods, ugh)–there’s some extra quinoa in a cupboard, definitely going to give this a try!

hihorosie March 30, 2011 at 8:30 am

I need to do some sprouting. We’ve sprouted a few things but need to do it more and venture out. :)

Ramonalisa/SpiritGecko April 23, 2011 at 7:25 am

Hello ladies. I love your website. you are asking about candida. I am about 80 percent raw and my family eat a lot of fermented foods such as kimchi and sauerkraut (homemade of course)which help raise the good gut bacteria. Read the Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates. It will blow your mind. :)

Pure2 April 23, 2011 at 8:00 am

Thanks Ramonalisa – we know all about the Body Ecology diet! We love our fermented food!

Char April 26, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I would love to try sprouting, but definitely a little intimidated also!

Meagan April 30, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I got so excited reading this post, but now I’m feeling a bit down. I’ve wanted to try sprouting for a while and just found some mung beans today at my local Asian market, but I’ve got a problem. We live in Hawaii and don’t have air conditioning, which means our average house temp is 82ish degrees. Can I sprout in that warm of temps without worrying about mold or should I invest in some GSE before experimenting?

Pure2 May 1, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Meagan – that is a tough call, I think you could, but to play it safe I would wait to cooler months.

Anne June 14, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I try to sprout quiona but until 4 days oso nothing, except the quiona one type of smell. shd i continue sprouting or just throw it cos is smelly.

Thanks

Pure2 June 15, 2011 at 4:02 am

Anne if it is starting to smell you should stop sprouting and discard. Soaking quinoa first, then rinse before sprouting. Should take about a few days, and remember to rinse often when sprouting. Sprouting can be tough.

Leslie Elia February 6, 2013 at 9:05 am

Sprouting is a wonderful way to make the grain even healthier. I still do many cooked foods as well, but you should do both for plenty of variety in the diet.