Decisions Decisions

by Lori and Michelle on April 28, 2011

I am stressing.

haha

What bride-to-be isn’t??

I am still unsure of the date.  Still unsure of location.

Any brides out there have any tips for me???

I did get to speak to my best friend, who called me all the way from Afgahistan. Love you Alyson!!

She really helped calm me down and remember to have fun.

Fun…yes FUN!

I sure know how to have fun in the kitchen ;)

Last night enjoyed a wonderful kelp noodle avocado salad.

Kelp Noodle Avocado Salad: serves 2 (gluten-free, vegan, raw, soy-free, sugar-free)

• 2 avocados
  • lots of lettuce (we used a mixed variety)
  • 1 package of kelp noodles (rinsed well)
  • juice of a lemon
  • dash of sea salt
  • optional – toss in some hemp seeds

Toss all together.

Easy and delicious! Love the natural flavors coming through this dish!!

One thing both Michelle and I have been noticing whenever we have avocados we get headaches??? Anyone else experience this? You all know we love our avocados, have one just about everyday. But since we have been noticing this after we eat them, we tried making a green smoothie yesterday without one and oh my gosh, it was horrible. Took a long time to get it down.  Maybe will have to add fruit back in so I can enjoy my smoothies. I do not know, but we are both sad how avocados have been making us feel. It is really just headaches, nothing else seems to be a problem.

Any thoughts??

Thinking of everyone that has been affected from the tornadoes!

Anyone looking forward to the Royal Wedding tomorrow?? Gary says I remind him of Kate, sweet guy :)

Lori

Gillian Young April 28, 2011 at 7:27 am

Hi beauties!

As for wedding planning, it all sort of came together when John said “It’s about you and I.” Then all of a sudden I cut my guest list down to my immediate family, made the plans far more fun and casual, and decided it was supposed to be fun not stressful :) Bring on the love!!

As for the avocados- that sucks! It sounds like an intolerance. Didn’t you ladies mention cramping after having avocado in the evening?

Maybe add some berries to the smoothie! Delish and pretty candida friendly!

Pure2 April 28, 2011 at 10:15 am

thanks Gillian so true, I am trying real hard to make it fun because planning on wedding is right ;) And yes we still have to play around with adding in berries or something.

SquatLikeALady April 28, 2011 at 7:36 am

Until about 2 weeks ago I was under the impression that the royal wedding was going to be *next* year haha. I am looking forward to seeing what Kate wears. She’s such a classic beauty and I wish her happiness and joy! :)

Katherine April 28, 2011 at 8:18 am

Hmm that is odd. I wonder if maybe you are mildly allergic to them?

Katie April 28, 2011 at 8:26 am

Aww, Kate is beautiful and I definitely see the resemblance.

Pure2 April 28, 2011 at 10:19 am

thanks Katie :)

natalie (the sweets life) April 28, 2011 at 8:35 am

I can see the Kate resemblance! :) Your friend is right—don’t forget to enjoy the process of planning a wedding and preparing for a LIFE together. It’s really easy to get caught up in the nitty gritty but at the end of the day all that matters is that you’re married!

Pure2 April 28, 2011 at 10:19 am

so true Natalie thanks!!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 28, 2011 at 8:40 am

Definitely stay calm! The salad looks perfect! Gary sounds like a great guy…definitely a keeper!

Pure2 April 28, 2011 at 10:19 am

thanks Sarena and yes he is :)

Lauren April 28, 2011 at 8:52 am

I just started following your blog a couple weeks ago… you girls are such an inspiration!
I have heard about avacados causing headaches, and from what I’ve heard it is because they are high in fat. Even though is it healthy fat, too many can cause headaches and migraines. maybe try cutting back on them and see what happens? I eat about half an avacado a day and I haven’t experienced any side effect from them, so I think it may depend on the person..?? just a thought.
By the way, congrats on your engagement!

Pure2 April 28, 2011 at 10:21 am

thanks Lauren!!! And that is what we were thinking too; definitely going to be giving that a try! :)

Eimear Rose April 28, 2011 at 8:54 am

Congrats on the engagement! Avocados have compounds similar to latex, do you have a latex allergy? Although with that sort of allergy you’d be quite sick. Maybe with the avocados you girls have become sensitive because you consume them so regularly? Probably if you took a break for a while then reintroduced them with less frequent consumption? Although not fun in the short it would be preferable to developing a full blown allergy. Good luck!

Pure2 April 28, 2011 at 10:22 am

thanks Eimear yea we do not think it is a real blown out allergy but maybe more from us eating them all the time that our body is just showing us signs to take it a little easy ;)

nelly April 28, 2011 at 9:11 am

originally we wanted to get married in september…but there were no dates available at the venue we wanted, so we had to go with october 8 because it was the only day they had left in the fall…we also wanted good weather…and the weather is pretty beautiful during that time of the month…

i think you should decide where you want to get married and in what month…and then see what the venue has available…

i am so excited for you.

with respect to your headaches, has your head just started to hurt you? or has this been on going? it could have something to do with the weather and the barometric pressure…i’ve been getting tons of headaches lately…could be stress?

the salad has me drooling…i totally went out and bought an avocado…to put in my salad for lunch!!!

have a beautiful day girls!!!

Pure2 April 28, 2011 at 10:23 am

aww thanks Nelly so nervous but excited about wedding things ;) And for the headaches kinda just started maybe a week or so ago we really started to notice them; it might have to do with change in seasons/weather and maybe eating too much of them LOL

Joi April 28, 2011 at 9:26 am

What a beautiful salad! MMMMMM….My niece recently married at an outdoor English garden overlooking the Texas country side. It was fashioned after an Italian winery. It was amazing, you didn’t even feel like you were in Texas. It was nice because it was all in the same place, no driving to get to the reception etcetera. Just take one detail at a time and don’t let all the details overwhelm you. And I happen to know a wonderfully artistic cosmetic artist…About the headaches, if every time you experience them after eating avocados, you may have developed a food sensitivity to them. Take them out of your diet for a while and slowly reintroduce them. Good luck with the wedding details and remember to….BREATHEEEEEEE

sasha@blyssfulhealth April 28, 2011 at 9:28 am

This salad looks great. Congrats. I would say just try to write out everything. When I got married I used a book that helped keep everything organized and focused on brining meaning to the day. It was a great book. If you want send me a comment and I forward you the info. Very helpful. It just helps honour the moment and journey in the middle of all the hectic planning.

Also lavender tea, oils ect. was on hand at all times:)

Megan April 28, 2011 at 9:48 am

I got married almost 2 years ago and my best advice to give you is to enjoy everyday of being engaged because you are only engaged once! Be calm and just let things happen naturally. If you try and control every little detail you will only end up disappointed. Have fun because this is the most exciting time of your life:)
Avacados- I have never had a headache and absolutely love them, but after reading Dr. Fuhrman’s Eat to Live I have cut back on them a lot because how high in fat they are. Maybe you eat so well that your body doesn’t like all the oil:). I don’t know though…

Kelly April 28, 2011 at 10:10 am

What made me stress during my wedding was other people…but we won’t get into that. I didn’t actually stress much about the wedding itself or making decisions. Just remember that the marriage is way more important than the wedding and that it’s your day so do what you want to do. And, no one notices when things don’t necessarily go according to plan.

Pure2 April 28, 2011 at 10:25 am

thanks Kelly HUGS

paisley April 28, 2011 at 10:27 am

We will have been married 20 years this August. Our wedding was completely stress free. We had two rules: Have fun, and end up married. We invited over three hundred people and had a wonderful time.

Do not waste one moment wondering what people will think, and do what you both want to do. If something is zapping the fun, just lose it – it must not be that important.

Pure2 April 28, 2011 at 10:39 am

thank you so much Paisley I really needed to hear this!!! I will do just that :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine April 28, 2011 at 10:39 am

My brother got married last summer and it was SO stressful for the whole family. My advice would be to just focus on what YOU want- it’s going to be impossible to please everyone, and it’s YOUR big day!!

Pure2 April 28, 2011 at 11:32 am

Gabriela so true!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather April 28, 2011 at 10:42 am

I hope all the wedding planning doesn’t stress you out too much! Writing things out and making a list so I didn’t forget things helped me a ton.

Delicious looking food like always!

Pure2 April 28, 2011 at 11:32 am

Heather that is what I need to do! I need to write it all out :) Thanks!

michaela April 28, 2011 at 10:49 am

Hi:-)

What about wedding in Europe? Paris? Vienna?……

With avocado I do not think it makes your headache, you know avocado is the first baby food consider as food with no side effect no reaction no alergy. But of course it can happen that something else cause you headache. Try to make test with avocado, have your regular breakfast ( smoothie chia pudding) and wait 2-3 hours then on empty stomach try to eat avocado, but without anything only avocado and you will see …… Headache can casue also kelp, any seaweed, also higher consuption of stevia, that acumulation in body. When I introduce new food to my daughter I always make the test like I wrote you with any kind of food to eliminate possible reaction and know the casue of reaction( if there is any)

Pure2 April 28, 2011 at 11:34 am

haha Michaela I wish I could have an overseas wedding ;) Thanks for the tip we shall do just that!!

Emily April 28, 2011 at 12:21 pm

That salad looks so good! I’ve been eating lots of kelp noodle salads lately. They’re so refreshing.

I hope you get to the bottom of the headache issue. That is curious. And avocados are too good to avoid unless absolutely necessary!

Husband and I ran off to Vegas to get married (not TOTALLY on a whim; we considered some other options). No stress there :)

Pure2 April 28, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Emily we love our kelp noodle salads too!! Your wedding in Vegas sounds awesome!

Elle April 28, 2011 at 12:25 pm

i love your blog! that salad looks delish :) i’m excited to read more because i want to start eating more raw food and your blog seems like it’ll be good inspiration for me.
ps don’t stress about the wedding too much, have fun!

bitt of raw April 28, 2011 at 1:31 pm

What a pretty bowl of green! Yum.

I decided for my wedding to have things as local as possible. It was a lot easier to coordinate that way. But some locations will take on more if you are farther away. We had outside catering, flowers, etc. We had a lot of help too. Just take it one step at a time, it will all get done! Get the date and location set first, then the rest is just details.

Alissa @ Not Just Apples April 28, 2011 at 1:38 pm

that salad sounds awesome! i must get me some kelp noodles :)

hihorosie April 28, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Bummer about the avos – how weird! I’d be sad too if that happened to me. Hope it passes soon and is not an allergy or something.

The Royal Wedding is very exciting! Have fun planning your own!

Ela April 28, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Good luck with figuring it out. It’s _Your and Gary’s Day_, so don’t worry about pleasing everyone else: everyone who loves you will be delighted for whatever you choose.

Bummer about the avos. Sometimes eating something very very regularly can trigger an intolerance, that goes away if you avoid it for a while. I make great smoothies with no fruit every day–I sometimes use medicine flower flavor extracts, I use irish moss, carrots, frozen peas, protein powder–with a good blender, it’s great. But I’m looking forward to finishing the yeast cleanse and enjoying fruit again!

(what runs) Lori April 28, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Ahhhhh your going to be a bride!!!!

Love the creamy salad! Not sure I’ve ever taken notice of what I feel like after eating an avocado… interesting.

Christy April 28, 2011 at 7:15 pm

That salad looks amazing! I have been on a huge avocado kick lately.
I love your blog, by the way. I wasn’t sure if my unique eating style (gluten-free, soy-free vegan) was actually possible until I came across your blog a few weeks ago. You girls have so many great recipes that I never have to worry about what I eat. (I can’t wait to make my own Soca!)

Pure2 April 29, 2011 at 3:35 am

ahh thanks Christy!! yes we have a unique eating style :)

Katie April 29, 2011 at 3:05 am

Just remember to ENJOY it girl and remember too , It is YOUR day! It goes so fast, and can be stressful but just do not forget to enjoy every moment : ) I am down to my last month and a half, and I am already going to miss it all!! Ha! It will all fall into place, you have a great family and they will all help you! I would suggest getting some magazines too! Its fun to look through them and get ideas, also http://www.thekot.com is a GREAT wedding website! They also have a magazine too they bring out like 4 times a year! Join the knot though, and its free! U can make a wedding page on there too!

If you ever need ANYTHING, do not hesitate to email me! Model_Katie22@hotmail.com

Katie xoxo <3

Pure2 April 29, 2011 at 3:35 am

thanks you so much Katie!! I love hearing about your wedding, cannot believe it is sooo close :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 29, 2011 at 3:48 am

MAJOR CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just catching up on posts…sooo excited for you!

Tips: Get married in Vegas for $199 bucks and wear a hot pink dress and tell people after the fact, that you’re married. That’s what i did. 10 yrs ago, in 2 weeks! We are celebrating our 10 year. Worked for us…just make YOURSELF happy! It’s your day, your wedding, your marriage..dont do anything you dont wanna do!

Babs April 29, 2011 at 8:46 am

careful what you ask for! You wanted suggestions and boy are you getting them!

Congrat! As a married person and former wedding coordinator my primary piece of advice is – the planning should be fun. If for some reason it becomes not fun, take a step back – then get rid of whatever (or whoever) is not workin for you. Many of us brides have had ideas about our weddings since we were little girls. Over time those ideas can become as set in our minds as concrete. Try to remain willing to be flexible and open to how things unfold. The most important thing is that you are marrying someone you love and will be surrounded by those who love and support you. BE IN THE MOMENT. :-D

Katie M. April 29, 2011 at 9:16 am

GL with the wedding planning. You can make it as simple or as extravagant as you want. We chose a smaller invite list (only 48 ppl attended including wedding party and us!). We handmade all the invites, save the date cards, decorations, even our vows and ceremony we pieced together the things we liked. I loved it. It was a lot of work in the end but it was fairly stress free and turned out beautifully in the end. And I’m sure yours will be too. My only advice is don’t procrastinate! Even the planning should be fun!

As far as the avocado issues…wondering if you have issues with bananas also? typically if you have issues with one you have issues with the other also with latex.

Pure2 April 29, 2011 at 9:22 am

Thanks Katie. We have not had bananas in months, so not sure how we react to them.

Zo @ Two Spoons April 30, 2011 at 4:17 am

Using kelp as noodles – what a brilliant idea. Love the avocado lemon combo with it too :)

Pam April 30, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Just wanted to chime in on the avos. Not sure if someone mentioned this, but I happen to be a blood type O, and noticed in the blood type diet, for O’s, avocados are an “avoid.” Eeeeeeek.

You guys may not even be O’s, but just thought I’d mention it.

Pure2 May 1, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Thanks for sharing Pam, but we are blood type A.

Annette Gleason May 19, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I just wanted to say I LOVE your blog! Just started checking it out daily, and have already tried the pizza you posted the other day (with the avocado – basil sauce). SO good. I’m used to making Brendan Brazier’s pizzas, and yours turned out to be a MUCH better consistency, and was easier to spread around. Anyway, I frequent a personal trainer who enlightened me about food allergies. Apparently, you can develop an allergy to ANY type of food if you eat it too much. I had a similar experience with almonds (felt a tickle in my throat, not a headache). I just laid off of them for about a week and everything went back to normal. Maybe don’t eat them everyday?! I hope it works out, they’re such a great ingredient in vegan cooking! (And congrats by the way!)

Pure2 May 19, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Thank you so much Annette, yes we are trying to not have avocados everyday! Glad you liked the pizza.

anastasia@healthymamainfo.com November 30, 2011 at 10:52 am
Kristin May 16, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Oh man, this looks delish, totally making this tomorrow, just discovered kelp noodles. Recently made a recipe using them, maybe you could check it out! thanks