Avocado Ice Cream

by Lori and Michelle on April 29, 2011

Happy Friday luvs!

Thanks for everyone’s tips on planning a wedding, as well thoughts on why avocados might be giving us headaches. We are taking a a few days off from eating avocados and see how we do next week when we add them back in.

As you saw earlier this week, we did enjoy a wonderful avocado based ice cream on our birthday!

This avocado based ice cream turned out more to be like a soft serve ice cream, which is not necessarily a bad thing :)

A bowl of perfection!

This avocado ice cream was not too sweet and had a great creamy texture. We love peppermint so feel free to alter the amount of flavor till you liking. And we loved the addition of the peppermint brownie bites!!! YUM

As much as we loved this ice cream and could talk about it forever …. we do want to send our congrats to Prince William and Princess Catherine on their Wedding!!! Did you watch The Royal Wedding?

Her dress was stunning!! Loved the lace sleeves.  What a wedding! It was perfect.

Today is a great day!!

Off to go get some work done :)

P2R Twins

*have the parents coming in this weekend!!!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free April 29, 2011 at 6:33 am

Yes! I did watch the Royal Wedding this morning-it was wonderful :) She was absolutely stunning.

And I am making this! I LOVE peppermint ice cream. Seriously it was my favorite flavor when I ate dairy and sugar….Now I can eat it again-YAY!

Pure2 April 29, 2011 at 6:38 am

Alex – she was stunning!!! peppermint ice cream was our fav too!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 29, 2011 at 6:41 am

I only saw the end of it, but I loved her dress too! The lace was beautiful!

The ice cream sounds delicious! I hope you two have a great day!

Jackie @ Baking Charms April 29, 2011 at 7:26 am

I didn’t watch the wedding but I’ve been stalking all the videos online this morning… so romantic and her dress is beautiful!

Pure2 April 29, 2011 at 7:28 am

Jackie – yes thank goodness for the internet :)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 29, 2011 at 9:57 am

Mmm! That creamy ice cream sounds so good right now! Love how refreshing mint is — and the fact that you used fresh mint is so over the top awesome! :)

Pure2 April 29, 2011 at 10:02 am

Katie – we have bunch of fresh mint that we are trying to use up, haha so thought we should throw it in :)

JessicaL April 29, 2011 at 10:35 am

I did not watch the wedding, but I have plently of people raving about it to know all about it haha. I have been getting a lot of headaches as well, I have been eating a lot of beans. Can that cause headaches? Aww your parents are coming!! Do they eat raw? If not, do they support your way of eating/living? I found that my family accepts that I like to eat healthier, but they do nag about how there’s a such thing as being “too healthy”.

Pure2 April 29, 2011 at 11:50 am

Jessica – sorry to hear about the headaches, not sure if beans can cause them, but honestly anything is possible. Everyone reacts to food differently. As for our parents they only eat raw when we make them food, although our mom does drink green smoothies and loves our raw biscotti! They both love raw desserts :)

Lisa @ Thrive Style April 29, 2011 at 11:38 am

The ice cream looks amazing! I’m slightly obsessed with avocados, especially since I subscribed to SoCal avocados Avocado of the Month Club!

Katie April 29, 2011 at 12:08 pm

My mint is just starting to grow, so this is definitely on my to-make list. And now that my ice cream maker may be eon its last leg…

Mimi (Gingersnaps) April 29, 2011 at 12:25 pm

That ice cream looks awesome! Avocado is such a great base. Sorry it’s giving you trouble though.

I was at the royal wedding. It was cute, but the tv did a great job telecasting it.

Nikki April 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm

That icecream looks amazing! I love the color :)

Christine (The Raw Project) April 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Oh my goodness, this ice looks amazing, awesome job! I can’t wait to try this, thanks!

Lauren April 29, 2011 at 3:49 pm

ice cream looks amazing. I do not get headaches but I developed an allergy to avocados :( . I get giant breakouts around my mouth every time I eat one. So… alas, I stopped. :(

Ela April 29, 2011 at 7:30 pm

The ice cream sounds just perfectly delectable. I adore mint, and avo is a great base for minty ice creams.

I was raised mostly in London but I didn’t see the royal wedding at all–but I remember William’s parents’ wedding when I was just a tiny kid…

hihorosie April 30, 2011 at 12:06 am

Just finished watching the Royal Wedding! Kate was (still is) beautiful and loved loved loved the dress! I love them – such a great couple. Loved Pippa’s dress too.

Love the avocado ice cream idea – awesome! What a great birthday treat!

Pure2 April 30, 2011 at 3:56 am

Heidi – oh yes Pippa looked beautiful as well!

shannonmarie April 30, 2011 at 5:50 am

Of course I watched the royal wedding. I was working out in front of the tv during the actual ceremony. It brought back memories of watching Princess Di walk down the isle when I was little.

BTW, congrats to Lori on your engagement. Loved the fairy tale post.

Happy belated birthday to you both, too!

I don’t know what to tell you about the avocados. Maybe your bodies are becoming more sensitive and more aware of how foods effect you. I’m finding that stevia gives me headaches, so I limit it now. It could also be a detox symptom.

That ice cream looks yummy, although I’d use something else in place of the stevia.

Lori April 30, 2011 at 6:44 am

The mint and avocado (+frozenness) sounds wonderful. I love all things ice cream but making it from the avocado probably leaves it super rich and creamy. :) Love this!

melissa @ the delicate place April 30, 2011 at 6:53 am

!!! pippa totally showed kate up and i think kate is beautiful! i just liked pippas gown better, my prediction was nearly spot on too! i thought vintage mcqueen with long sleeves! i’ve bookmarked this recipe because i have a huge mint plant right now, cannot wait to dive in!! x enjoy your fam filled weekend!

Kim April 30, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Just a note–I have had headaches from stevia! In particular one that came in a green packet. Luckily not from avocados for me!

bitt of raw April 30, 2011 at 10:56 pm

What a pretty bowl! Mint brownie is one of my favorite flavors. I’ve been curious about trying to make an avocado based ice cream because I figure it would do well with the fat content. Looks too.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] May 1, 2011 at 7:58 pm

this sounds amazing! you two are pure genius in the kitchen! ha! no pun intended!

seriously, her dress was STUNNING. I’m kind of in love with her.

Pure2 May 2, 2011 at 5:24 am

Thank you Teri ;) and we love her too.

Gena May 3, 2011 at 6:02 am

My kinda ice cream! This looks absolutely delicious, ladies.

Megan May 3, 2011 at 1:14 pm

This looks so good!
I tried to make raw peppermint ice cream once, but it didn’t come out very well… but I’ll try this recipe sometime this week! Yum!

Elizabeth May 3, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I can’t wait to try this tomorrow !!! It looks soooo good.

Pure2 May 3, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Thanks Elizabeth, let us know how you liked it! It is for avocado and mint lovers for sure.

Joanna goes vegan May 4, 2011 at 3:28 am

I like your bowl, because it can handle a lot of your delicious ice-cream :-)

Maria @ Scandifoodie May 7, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Yum, I love this! Definitely need to try!

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com December 5, 2011 at 10:26 am

Looks fantastic and super healthy!

Jason February 1, 2013 at 6:27 pm

If you are getting headaches from Avocadoes, there are a couple common reasons:

First of all, if your Avocadoes are not organic, it is most likely that the residues from the treatments are giving you a reaction. Avocadoes are oil-rich and very readily absorb chemicals if there are any on the skin. The companies will tell you that the chlorinated water baths and refridgeration are not harming the fruit in anyway, but you must remember that they are a corporate entity who only cares about the bottom line dollar figures and are so disconnected from the product themselves that they don’t have a CLUE about what they are doing to the product. Before I moved to Hawaii, I had to only eat organic Avocadoes because I would always get terrible digestive problems (bloating but no flatulence, painful intestinal discomfort and unpleasant bowel movements the next day), frontal lobe headaches, and even a strange attraction to them despite the fact I KNEW they would hurt me. I would literally have to just say no to them for a couple days and then I would fell normal again and wouldnt have the desire to eat them. I tried all kinds of psychological manipulation to validate the symptoms were psychosomatic, but to no avail. It was real! More than likely, this is the reason.

The other possibility could be that you are eating Avocadoes with foods that don’t combine with avocadoes and in that food combining error, your body is giving you a “heads-up” and forcing you to stop for a while to get yourself back on track. This usually just comes with lethargy, flatulence and belching, so I don’t really think this is the reason. But it could be.

Jessica April 29, 2011 at 12:17 pm

After all, who doesn’t love raw desserts!! I think I will do what you guys are doing with avocado and bump it out for a little while to see the improvement.