Pumpkin Squares with Cashew Lucuma Frosting

by Lori and Michelle on April 1, 2011

We got another dessert for you…yes we love dessert! Even on our candida cleanse ;)  but again they are not your typical ‘sweet’ desserts!

We still are enjoying pumpkin.

Or we have other “cream” recipes you can check out. Or even use Katie’s Coconut banana butter if you can eat bananas (which we have enjoyed before)

Enjoy your Friday!

P2R Twins

Chocolate-Covered Katie April 1, 2011 at 8:27 am

Awww aww aww thanks for the mention. And see? THIS is the kinda thing I was talking about when I said I want you to come cook for me! Oh heck, you don’t have to come here; I’ll go there!

I am so jealous of the ppl who can go to the farmer’s market and buy your treats… someday I’m going to have to visit, myself (I’m serious!).

Katie April 1, 2011 at 9:04 am

There are so many great recipes without sugar that I want to make!!

zendotstudio April 1, 2011 at 9:08 am

I thought cashews were something you had to avoid on a candida cleanse?

Pure2 April 1, 2011 at 9:51 am

Zendotstudio – Depends who you ask or what you read. And as we have mentioned before, we are not perfect. Just do what we can.

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free April 1, 2011 at 9:09 am

YUM!!!! ohmygosh….I just love all of your sugar-free recipes :) :) :)

Pure2 April 1, 2011 at 9:51 am

Thanks Alex!! We get inspired from you!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 1, 2011 at 9:45 am

Looks delicious ladies!!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 1, 2011 at 9:53 am

This looks delicious. I know what you mean about the flavor of things. Sometimes when you use the alternative sweeteners, it gives baked good a completely different flavor that’s a little hard to describe. This looks so good though!

Emily April 1, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Yum! I kinda just want to eat a bowl of that frosting :) That would be totally acceptable, right?

Pure2 April 1, 2011 at 1:06 pm

same here Emily and yes it is always acceptable :)

(what runs) Lori April 1, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Yay to lucuma! Thanks for the link. I love your lucuma cream frosting idea. Brilliant- and those possible ideas for lucuma uses sound great!

I love the pumpkin squares too.. I’ll be experimenting soon!

Ela April 1, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Happy Friday–and what an awesome combination! That sounds so delicious and I love that color.

For that amount of ingredients, I would use a third to a half cup of xylitol: they say that you can sub it one for one with sugar, but I always think there’s too much sugar in things. I would think that this would need more than one tablespoon. But it sounds so good that I bet I’m going to try this, and I’ll get back to you and let you know!

I love lucuma and haven’t had it for ages–I didn’t realize that it’s ok on a yeast cleanse. I’ll have to source some soon, and meanwhile make the frosting somehow else. Funny me–I prefer using coconut for frosting rather than cashews!

Pure2 April 1, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Thanks Ela for the sugar tip :) I wanted to put more xylitol in but Michelle did not, a little sister debate, haha

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 1, 2011 at 1:03 pm

They look awesome! And the frosting, mmmmmmmm good! :)

Mimi (Gingersnaps) April 1, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Those look divine! I’m trying to get off my sugar addiction, so these recipes are great. Would mesquite work instead of lucuma? I know the flavor is a bit different, but it still seems fairly similar.

Pure2 April 1, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Mimi – yes mesquite would work too, another fav flavor of ours!! Good luck with cutting down on sugar, it is hard. We are not perfect, but try our best!

Katie April 1, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Yeah for yummy desserts that are sugar free! Love the photos too!! Beautiful!

Hope you girls have a beautiful weekend!!!! xoxo <3

Michele April 2, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I cant wait to try the spiced chia pudding! sounds so good! :)

Lisa @ Thrive Style April 2, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I love cashew frosting. I’ve never added lucuma, but it sounds good—I was just explaining to some clients today why they might want to put lucuma in their smoothies, but it sounds even better in frosting!

hihorosie April 4, 2011 at 9:25 am

bookmarking! :)

LisaCazz May 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I made these tonight (along with your mila pan bread) and they are tasty. I used coconut flour instead of the rice flour,chia meal instead of flax meal, and then used your suggestion of 1 tsp of stevia in place of the xylitol. Since coconut flour is a serious moisture hog, I made sure to use the max amount of water and pumpkin puree. Turned out really great, and sweet enough for my tastes even without the frosting. Thanks!

Pure2 May 23, 2011 at 4:36 am

Lisa – glad to hear it worked with stevia!!

Crysta October 23, 2011 at 7:52 pm

You guys need to start selling your pumpkin bar recipe in a mix at the bakery….I am too lazy to hunt down all the ingredients :) These look amazing! I agree, the pictures are fantastic!

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com October 23, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Sounds really good! Can I substitute cashews with almonds or it would be a bad combination?
Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com recently posted..Supernatural Kids Cookbook ReviewMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 24, 2011 at 6:08 am

Anatasia you could do almonds, just be aware it might change the creamy texture a little as almonds do not get as creamy

Stephanie October 26, 2011 at 9:55 am

I made this last night and it was delicious. I was concerned that there was no xanthum gum so I added a 1/2 t. It seemed a little gummy so I’m not sure it needed it. Did it hold together ok for you without it?

Sara November 6, 2011 at 5:47 am

Just discovered your blog and I am so excited to start making some of these recipes. I got up this morning and made the cashew frosting in preparation for the pumpkin bars, and it’s delicious! Thanks!

eva @VegucatingMyKids March 9, 2012 at 7:22 am

i made your lucuma cashew frosting the other day! i wanted to make your pumpkin squares, but i did not have enough arrowroot, and was not sure how to substitute or if the squares would hold up…but let’s get back to the frosting!!! oh my!! loved it atop some quinoa zucchini pumpkin muffins i made this week from another food blogger…i always look for nutrition packed muffins or donuts or cookies for my girls for right after school and right before the afternoon activities of gymnastics and dance….and the addition of your frosting just added so much to the muffins! and the girls felt like their muffins were more decadent….my girls are such great sports and really have acclimated to my plant based eating….so anything that makes their baked goods feel a little more fun, is worth the smile on their face…i did add more lucuma and i did add some coconut oil at the end so when i chilled it, it would hold up more later in their tupperware container…but i will be making that frosting again–thank you

Lori and Michelle March 9, 2012 at 10:24 am

awesome!!! yay! oh yes this frosting changed our world as well, so glad you and your girls are enjoying it ;) HUGS xoxo