Easter Brunch

by Lori and Michelle on April 24, 2011

Happy Easter Everyone!!!

Glad to hear everyone enjoys living life as much as we do :) You all know how to brighten a girl’s spirit!!

Speaking of living life, brunch was something fun and yummy…

a mix of sweet and savory.

Tahini Maple  Buttermilk Pancakes

Ingredients:

• Buttermilk Pancakes*
  • about 3-4 tbsp tahini
  • about 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • sprinkle of cacoa nibs  (or chocolate chips)

*I did make some changes to the pancake recipe: added in some coconut flour, reduced other flours, did arrowroot instead of potato starch, no applesauce, did 2 tbsp coconut oil. Plus for the buttermilk, I added extra apple cider vinegar to coconut milk, really helped curdle it really well.

For the sauce – place tahini, maple syrup in a cup and stir together, add more or less to achieve desired constisency. Sprinkle with cacao nibs!

Batter was light and fluffy

I like my pancake batter thick, not runny.

What really makes a perfect pancake??? thin? fluffy? dense?

I sometimes think it is the toppings that really make a pancake :) Layer up!

3 large pancakes covered in maple tahini sauce….triple decker…oh ya baby

A perfect Easter Brunch!

I notice I tend to like to take a lot of pictures of pancakes.

They are just so fun to photograph I guess. Do you notice certain recipes/food you tend take more pictures of?

Ohhh so yummy!

You know what goes great with pancakes….flowers

Love spring!

But you know what really made my Easter Sunday, this little bundle of Joy!

Our niece…she is growing up so fast. Miss her!

Hope you all have a wonderful Easter!

Michelle

Ashley April 24, 2011 at 9:48 am

Awww, precious!!! The first photo is my favorite!! Love the blue plate and the pancakes look fantastic!

Pure2 April 24, 2011 at 10:09 am

Thank you Ashley! The plate is one of my favs!!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete April 24, 2011 at 9:50 am

I love how you guys can make gf vegan pancakes look fluffy. All of my attempts have been fails if I don’t add an egg. I will keep trying!!

I know how you feel about your niece! I miss my nephews badly!!

Pure2 April 24, 2011 at 10:10 am

Thanks Nicole, something acid helps, so the reaction between the baking soda and buttermilk help fluff! Keep trying you will get it.

Katie April 24, 2011 at 10:08 am

She is SO PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!! look at her cheesing it! She is too cute for words! That would make my day too!!

Loving the fluffy batter!! The pancakes look like the perfect brunch meal!

Happy Easter to you girls!! xoxo <3

Pure2 April 24, 2011 at 10:11 am

Thank you Katie, hope your family has a great Easter!

Jojo April 24, 2011 at 10:18 am

Those pancakes look so yummy! Have a happy Easter :D

Kristina @ spabettie April 24, 2011 at 10:19 am

so, did you MEAN to make the pancake topping look like a bunny head? :D

Happy Easter you two!

Pure2 April 24, 2011 at 10:47 am

haha no Kristina, didn’t even notice

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 24, 2011 at 10:28 am

Happy Easter ladies! I love my pancakes every way! I’m not a snob about them at all. I love a good gluten free pancake and a good gluten full pancake. The secret for me is always in the sauce…I love playing with my toppings. Have a great day you two!

lynn @ the actor's diet April 24, 2011 at 10:35 am

babies (and pancakes) are like the most photogenic subjects ever! happy easter!

Pure2 April 24, 2011 at 10:48 am

Agreed Lynn! Happy Easter to you too!

Ela April 24, 2011 at 11:22 am

Happy Easter!

Adorable child, adorable flowers–and those pancakes sound great–love the idea of vegan/gf buttermilk pancakes. I love how the topping looks almost like a bunny.

MarathonVal April 24, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I’m not a fan of tahini but even so, those look delicious!

Kimberley April 24, 2011 at 12:32 pm

The best of both worlds, sweet and savory breakfast! I always have trouble choosing between the two :)

Dee April 24, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Oh my goodness! Your niece is just precious!

I tend to take a lot of pictures of my oatmeal and coffee/tea. No idea why. Lol.

Hope you both have a Happy Easter!

Katie April 24, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Tahini pancakes?!?! I think the word genius gets thrown around a lot here in the food blog world, but that really deserves it!

bitt of raw April 24, 2011 at 3:19 pm

those look so delicious! happy easter!

the baby is adorable too, i see the family resemblance.

Charissa April 24, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I love the idea of having tahini in these pancakes…I have a lot of trouble with calcium in my diet and so this recipe would be great for that! Thanks for sharing! They look scrummy!

rebecca lustig April 24, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Even the colors in the pancakes resemble Easter!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 24, 2011 at 6:06 pm

“Do you notice certain recipes/food you tend take more pictures of?”–
Yes! I think desserts and sweet foods just photograph more easily. I just posted choc coconut kale chips and NOTHING!!! can be harder to photograph than cooked, brown/green, dried up vegetables. I got the photos accepted to the food sites (just found out) but seriously…it was the hardest photo session of my career! Give me cookies or pancakes any day!

Your last post about not being “perfect” and enjoying your road trips…GOOD!!! Glad you’re having wine, sugar, and living life to the fullest :)

Mandiee April 24, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Thin, crepe-like pancakes are the norm in my house, but I must admit your gorgeous-looking fluffy ones really whet my appetite! I didn’t know it was possible to get fluffy vegan pancakes, let alone gluten-free ones. If you remember what you used, could you please post the flour ratio? I’m really loving coconut flour lately. Also, great idea with tahini. I often neglet it as a nut/seed butter, but you have really inspired me to use it more. I’m glad you had a wonderful time with your niece; happy Easter!

astrorainfall April 24, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Gosh those pancakes look incredible. I prob can’t find the flour you used in this recipe but I wandered over to your socca tab and am so inspired by your recipes. I recently found garbanzo bean flour at a foreign supermarket in Tokyo so I’m gonna try these gluten-free babies…wish me luck…!

Pure2 April 25, 2011 at 4:20 am

good luck with making socca you will love it!!

emma April 24, 2011 at 10:44 pm

it’s a crime that we don’t live close to eachother. A crime I tell you! You girls are so inspiring – you really know your stuff! Goregous looking pancakes – tahini = GOOOD, maple syrup = Gooooood! Verdict? = MUST.MAKE.SOON! :-D

Katey @ Bonne Santé April 25, 2011 at 5:25 am

Tahini in sauce = instant caramelization! Looks divine. As does your gorgeous niece!

natalie (the sweets life) April 25, 2011 at 7:35 am

ooh awesome, I’m always looking for new ways to use tahini!!!

janetha @ meals & moves April 25, 2011 at 10:35 am

Your niece is SO, SO, SO cute. Like.. SOOO cute! Wow! I love all the flower photos, too. Happy Easter! a day late :)

Maria @ Scandifoodie April 25, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Oh I love this! The pancakes sound just perfect for a breakfast and your niece is too cute!! :-)

hihorosie April 25, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Aw, what a sweetie she is! Love those toothie grins! Flowers are beautiful – perfect for Easter! And brunch certainly sounds amazing. Love your twists on things to keep things new and different. :)

Just Audrey April 26, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Your niece is such a cutie! I love the photo where she is smiling with those sparkling eyes. :)

jenny April 27, 2011 at 2:51 pm

these pancakes look WONDERFUL. you had me at tahini and maple.