Working out for donuts

by Lori and Michelle on May 4, 2011

Hey everyone,

Before we dig into the recipe, we wanted to share our workout from yesterday because it was one of the best we have done in awhile.

As usual, we browsed bodyrock.tv to find a workout that sparked interest and we settled on Cut the Cheese Workout (haha love the name).  Instead of the reversed push-up we did bent over rows and did 10 reps with our 10 lb weighted sandbag.

We both really really really enjoyed this workout!! It is a full body workout and we are sore today. Sometimes love being sore the next day because then you know you worked hard.

We have been receiving more request from people about where to start with bodyrock and well this workout is a great one to do. (we have also shared basic tips for starting bodyrock here)

Yes Zuzana did use a dip station, but one thing that is great about bodyrock workouts you can change any exercise based on your fitness level and what equipment you have on had. Each workout can be customized, just be creative! There is no right or wrong.

This cut the cheese workout showcases all of the reasons why we love bodyrock.  It is:

• short
  • intense
  • gets heart rate going
  • slow movements to isolate muscles
  • fun
  • full body

Workouts like these sure get our appetite going.

Thank goodness for donuts!

We enjoyed these for breakfast when the parents were in town, they loved them!

Nothing like family time while enjoying freshly baked donuts.

Glazed Cake Donut (free of gluten, eggs, dairy, and soy)

We followed our pumpkin donut recipe but made some changes:

-used applesauce instead of pumpkin puree

- did not use buttermilk, just water and 1 tsp apple cider vinegar

- cinnamon instead of pumpkin pie spice

Bake and enjoy!

We made a glaze to go on top, so this part did contain some sugar. We mixed powdered sugar with a little bit of water and vanilla. Drizzle over donuts!

Delicious.

Satisfying.

Now some people say they workout to eat…guess we would have to agree with that one, haha

Twins Question: Do you like cake donuts? What is your favorite flavor for a donut?

P2raw twins

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free May 4, 2011 at 7:11 am

Oh they look fabulous!!!! And I keep seeing bodyrock workouts, but I haven’t tried it yet…It looks good ,though!

kate May 4, 2011 at 7:45 am

I love bodyrock tv workouts they are seriously so intense although I often end up watching more than actually doing the workout. Those doughnuts look amazing I love the glaze dripping off!

Katie May 4, 2011 at 8:25 am

I need to make donuts. Soon.

Katie May 4, 2011 at 8:31 am

Hi loves!!!

I like that you said for bodyrock you can do workout custom to fit what your fitness level is, I think that is important ; )

I am loving the donuts! I used to LOVE blueberry cake donuts

My first job was at a donut place, true story : ) i smelled like a donut 24/7 no matter how many showers I took, lol

Pure2 May 4, 2011 at 8:38 am

Katie – haha, I can only imagine

Gillian Young May 4, 2011 at 9:15 am

I generally don’t love donuts…but I know I would love your donuts! They look so thick and yummy! My fave has always been chocolate and old fashioned glazed!

Pure2 May 4, 2011 at 11:27 am

thanks Gillian yay we have just really become donuts lovers for some reason ;)

lindsay May 4, 2011 at 9:24 am

when i saw that workout (cut the cheese), I had to laugh out loud! It was a great workout though, I did it too!
Wish I had a donut to refuel!
;)

Pure2 May 4, 2011 at 11:28 am

haha same here Lindsay gotta love the name ;)

JessicaL May 4, 2011 at 10:23 am

I love donuts, my favorite is chocolate frosted. As for cake donuts, my favorite is blueberry- warm from the oven and OMG. I did that workout yesterday too, the vertical leap was soooi hard- really burned the legs, but I did it!!

Pure2 May 4, 2011 at 11:28 am

Jessica yes it did burn the legs for us too ;) love it though haha. Chocolate frosted donuts yum

rebecca lustig May 4, 2011 at 11:25 am

fact: ive always preferred the smell of donuts to the actual taste. BUt i’ve also never been a cake person. i’d choose ice cream any day

Pure2 May 4, 2011 at 11:29 am

Rebecca ice cream is a great choice too :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 4, 2011 at 11:31 am

I love apple fitters and old fashioned cake! I made apple danishes this morning that remind me of apple fritters! I was in heaven. These donuts look delicious!

Ally (oatsandspice) May 4, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Let me just tell you, these look better than anyyyy doughnut you could buy in the store – they are healthy too :) LOVE IT – these are a must try for sureee :)

Happy Wednesday girlies!

melissa @ the delicate place May 4, 2011 at 1:23 pm

omg i have no idea how she does so many touch your toes moves. i was ending with like 7 my abs were crying! i’m usually 4-5 reps behind her in interval training that requires a lot of core strength lol. though i beat her in high knees all the time :)

Pure2 May 4, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Tell me about it Melissa I was dying one those abs toe touches too! My abs are so sore today!

bitt of raw May 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm

yum! thanks for testing it with applesauce because I wanted to remake your other one but my husband said no more pumpkin until fall!

Pure2 May 4, 2011 at 4:51 pm

glad to help Bitt!

K May 4, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I make donuts with cottage cheese, almond meal, some whole-fruit strawberry jam, an egg… tastes like bakewell tart and is amaaaazing!

Oooh and FYI- the single arm pike press on Bodyrock a few days ago? MEGA!

Pure2 May 4, 2011 at 4:51 pm

K- wow that sounds amazing! Yes I know those single arm pikes- killer ;)

Kristina @ spabettie May 4, 2011 at 4:05 pm

these look SO good!

I have had a donut pan for so long, and I SO need to make donuts!! my favorite kind of cake donut, pumpkin spice.

hilarious name for a workout :D

Pure2 May 4, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Kristina it took us awhile to finally get a donut pan a few years ago and I am soooo glad we did. Now I am obsessed with donuts haha

Jennifer Leonard (big sis) May 5, 2011 at 8:07 am

awesome photography and set-up girls, awesome for no training and self taught talented girls! the donuts look amazing, i am salivating. :-)

hihorosie May 5, 2011 at 9:31 am

I really need a donut pan. :)

Pure2 May 5, 2011 at 9:35 am

haha Heidi yes you do :)

(what runs) Lori May 5, 2011 at 10:00 am

GAH!

Oh my goodness…. Making these this weekend. No if’s, and’s, or buts! (except for a good workout to work my butt before I eat all of them…) ;)

natalie (the sweets life) May 5, 2011 at 10:42 am

I’m normally not a donut person but these look AWESOME!

Trish June 5, 2011 at 8:20 am

Looking for nutritional info on donut…do you have it?

Pure2 June 5, 2011 at 11:33 am

I am sorry Trish we do not have the nutritional info

healing123 June 7, 2011 at 8:00 am

Thanks gals for a fun resource site. Just now trying the glazed donut recipe. It appears much thinner , but I am assuming, due to no buttermilk. Hoping to make three teen boys happy after school today with these. Thanks again,

Pure2 June 7, 2011 at 9:31 am

If the batter is to thin just add in flax meal or more flour if needed. Sometimes our donuts do turn out if the batter is a little thick. Hope this helps!

Debbie T. February 16, 2012 at 3:49 am

Made these yesterday and they are FANTASTIC!! My husband totally agrees. I piped the batter in using an old P. Chef easy accent decorator—worked like a charm. Now I’ve got to try to enlarge my repertoire to chocolate donuts and blueberry donuts. Any suggestions?

Lori and Michelle February 16, 2012 at 6:06 am

Debbie so happy to you both enjoyed the donuts!! For a blueberry you could throw in some into the batter. Or blend blueberries with the applesauce for the puree. We have made two different chocolate donuts here on the blog, http://www.pure2raw.com/2012/01/healthy-baked-mini-chocolate-donut-recipe/ and http://www.pure2raw.com/2011/05/gluten-free-vegan-chocolate-mint-cake-donuts/