Another red beauty smoothie

by michelle on June 23, 2011

Happy Thursday Friends!

Looks like I was not the only one who has experienced exploding packages. And not the only one that struggles with quieting the mind to meditate.  I did do my 30 second of meditation yesterday, go me.

Did you meditate or do something for yourself yesterday?

Tuesday – We revisited Poker Face workout

Wednesday -  we did Take Me burpee 10 minute exercise challenge – Bodyrock is killing us with all these burpees

And today, we are thinking of doing an Insanity DVD. Who are we? Guess we are really trying to push ourselves before heading of out town soon.

Lori and I enjoyed a new smoothie yesterday. Can you believe it was our first time putting ice in our smoothies? We do not like real cold things, but it was one thing we have wanted to try in our smoothies to see the texture.

Thinking of our recent avo-beet pudding we decided to make it bigger and more like a drinkable smoothie this time.

If you are a beet lover, like we are, than you will love this recipe!

Pure2raw recipe: Beet Avocado Smoothie

Ingredients:

• 1 large avocado
  • 3 small beets (skinned and we steamed them)
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 handfuls of ice
  • handful fresh mint (we just had some on hand so threw it in)
  • inch of fresh ginger
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • drops of liquid stevia to taste
  • 6 stalks of kale, de-stemmed
  • pinch of cayenne
  • 2 tsp cinnamon

Blend in blender till smooth and thick.  Pour into stemless wine glasses and enjoy.*this is a must haha

Makes about 6 cups.

We fell in love with beet smoothies last year and normally made it with a sweet fruit, but we had no fruit on hand, so threw in avocado instead. And it was surprisingly wonderful. At first we were not so sure, but the more we drank it we loved it! I am still deciding what I like better a pudding or smoothie form.

And we liked the ice cubes in the smoothie too. Probably an addition we will continue to play around with. Do you like ice in your smoothies?

A quote to think about today:

“True happiness is to…enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future.” by Seneca

Twins Question: Do you ever get anxious about knowing you are traveling soon? Do you get in the vacation mode mindset a week, days, or a month before leaving out of town?

Michelle

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 23, 2011 at 5:57 am

Oooh, I do LOVE beets- I need to try this!!

sophie June 23, 2011 at 5:59 am

Hi! I do get anxious about knowing I will be traveling soon. I didn’t when I was younger, but as I get older I do. A lot of it has to do with eating. Will they have food I can eat? Will I have to constantly defend my way of eating? However – it is not just anxiety I feel…I also get quite happy that I am either revisiting an old place…or heading somewhere unknown. When you go somewhere unknown – there are so many opportunities – you get to meet new people and see new things. It is really wonderful. I get into the vacation or travel mode about a week in advance…unless I am leaving for a looonng time – then it is about a month of psychological preparation! Also – this smoothie…looks tasty. I do have one question (unrelated to the post) When you add spirulina to smoothies…do you get the taste of spirulina? (I worry because the smell is a little “weird”) Thanks :)

Pure2 June 23, 2011 at 8:58 am

Sohpie we like spirulina’s taste, it took some time but now it does not bother us. If you are not a huge fan of it I would start small with the addition of it, and maybe add in more lemon or something to ‘cover up’ the spirulina flavor. :)

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin June 23, 2011 at 6:13 am

I am loving avocado in my smoothies lately! It’s a really nice substitute for bananas and other sweet fruits. I throw a small handful of ice in mine, just to get it cool and “shake-like,” but I don’t like my smoothies icy-cold, either.

And I definitely get anxiety about traveling! I’m currently traveling for work, and am feeling great at the moment, but I still worry if “vacation mentality” will set-in. And it’s definitely set-in BEFORE traveling, too! I hate when that happens. ;)

Pure2 June 23, 2011 at 8:59 am

Megan glad you are enjoying avo’s in your smoothies too ;) we just love it!

Meagan June 23, 2011 at 6:44 am

That looks fantastic. Those spices sound very interesting together… I don’t have much experience with mint and am kind of afraid of it. That and kale… It may bother my stomach? I made some creamed collards and baby spinach last week and that went over fine though :)

Pure2 June 23, 2011 at 8:59 am

Meagan sorry that kale does not due well for you but glad you are finding what works best for you!!

Katie June 23, 2011 at 8:14 am

I like ice in smoothies that I will be drinking through a straw, but I usually prefer them thicker, so I don’t use ice then.

Pure2 June 23, 2011 at 9:00 am

Same here Katie we like thick smoothies :)

Lisa June 23, 2011 at 8:42 am

This looks yummy! I love beets, so I could definitely see trying it. I usually like pudding-like smoothies better, and only add ice if I really feel like it needs it!

Generally when I’ve got a trip scheduled, I am excited at first and when the time gets closer I wish I wasn’t going—I think that’s a slight bit of anxiety talking! I am flying to Cali tomorrow for a wedding and I’m totally not ready…that is definitely causing a little stress!

Pure2 June 23, 2011 at 9:00 am

aww Lisa you will be fine! have fun in Cali – love weddings haha :)

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! June 23, 2011 at 8:53 am

You are so creative with your ingredient combos, my eyes are being opened to a world of new ideas!

I get incredibly anxious about traveling, especially when i’m going somewhere that may not support my lifestyle (food, workouts) as I know it. I’m actually going on a real vacation by myself for the first time in a while, in mid July. I’m nervous already!

Pure2 June 23, 2011 at 9:01 am

Rachel we get a little stressed over going to places too that might have ‘food’ we can eat and not get sick. It is tough but each time we get better at being prepared!

Erin @ Naturally Addicted June 23, 2011 at 9:01 am

yum! Those look fabulous!! I absolutely adore beets and would eat them in everything if I could. I’m definitely adding this one to my list. I had my first smoothie with avocado at Luna’s Living Kitchen the other day…it was fantastic!

lindsay June 23, 2011 at 9:36 am

i love the deep nutrients in this smoothie and it sounds so calming, guess that goes hand in hand with meditation time.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 23, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Do you ever get anxious about knowing you are traveling soon? = yes! I stress over getting everything done!

Do you get in the vacation mode mindset a week, days, or a month before leaving out of town? = yes!! And wish i could just be there already :)

The Delicate Place June 23, 2011 at 5:04 pm

i thought the workouts have been rather intense lately! i used a forever 21 duffle bag with 10lb dumbbells in it today as my sandbag and it took me 31mins to complete. i was dyiiiinnnng! really about the ice?! i put a good bit of ice in my smoothies daily but i have to make sure to sip slowly otherwise i get a tummy ache!

Laury @thefitnessdish June 23, 2011 at 5:26 pm

these days doing something for “myself” is showering or eating hahaha. I DID get to paint my toes last weekend while Ella slept. I am not complaining though. Up until the end of my pregnancy I MILKED it with massages, pedicures, waxing, spray tan, quite power walks in the park. I knew I would be hairy, tense, smelly with shipped toe polish for a while post baby ;-)

I am so bad at meditating! You go!!!

Laury @thefitnessdish June 23, 2011 at 5:27 pm

PS–LOVED that Burpee challenge yesterday!!! I am going to not be able to walk tomorrow (delayed onset muscle soreness)…I am starting to feel it right now!

Pure2 June 24, 2011 at 5:03 am

Laury – we are so sore ;)

Vanessa June 23, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Well … I’m on the fence about the beet smoothie. I don’t know that I have ever tried beets but I am trying to step outside of my veggie box so who knows.

I just wanted to say that I also LOVE bodyrock.tv. I don’t do the workouts as much as I should but I always get a good workout when I do. I can’t believe you guys did the burpee challenge … I was scared ;0)

Pure2 June 24, 2011 at 5:04 am

Oh Vanessa, we love burpees, you can do it!

Kelly June 23, 2011 at 6:21 pm

This looks beautiful and earthy – love the pinch of cayenne!

carrie June 23, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I’ve never used ice either but just filled my ice trays this week to start trying it! You supplied great inspiration with that tasty looking recipe!

Pure2 June 24, 2011 at 5:04 am

Awesome Carrie!

Serena (Green Beans & Jam) June 23, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Mmm I’ve never had beets in a smoothie, but it sounds delicious (I do like beet juice and most anything with beets in ‘em)

Heathy June 23, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Beets in your smoothie!!! LOVE it! Will have to try this.

Pure2 June 24, 2011 at 5:06 am

Heathy you would love it

Eden June 23, 2011 at 10:31 pm

My dietitian used to tell me: “Worrying about the past make you depressed, worrying about the future makes you anxious. Focus on the present.” I like that. I dont eat because I of what I ate before, or what I might or might not eat in the future. I try to just eat for the moment and I try to be flexible with whatever is available.
And I dont like beets…but I love you two ;)

Pure2 June 24, 2011 at 5:07 am

Eden love your eating philosophy! haha don’t like beets??? well more for us then, love ya too

Crysta July 6, 2011 at 3:16 pm

This was so yummy…I love the addition of the ginger, cinnamon, and cayenne! Those ingredients really made the smoothie :)