Rich Pumpkin Coffee Cake

by Lori and Michelle on June 15, 2011

Hello luvs,

Today is a big day for our bakery, we have a big meeting. Hopefully we will be able to share details soon. So please send positive thoughts our way :)

We were blown away by all the request for our pumpkin bar recipe that we enjoyed over this past weekend. It was just one of those recipes that we quickly altered based off a coffee cake recipe we would make for the farmers market. All we had on hand was pumpkin, therefore we made pumpkin flavored coffee cake.

Enjoy!

These pumpkin coffee cakes were rich, dense, a little gooey, good balanced flavor…we all enjoyed them!

Substitutions:

• for the arrowroot – can do potato or tapioca starch
  • for non-gluten people – can do regular flour for both the starch and flour blend
  • the flaxgel – can use 2 eggs
  • if do a liquid sugar – probably do not need to add in the extra water

This is not your average coffee cake. Yes it is gluten free and vegan, the texture was more on the moist and dense side. Had a little chew, but overall we were very pleased with them. This pumpkin coffee cake was very tasty and satisfying.

We gobbled all of them up ;)

Twins Question: Do you like coffee cake? Are you still enjoying pumpkin? What is your least favorite breakfast food? Least favorite flavor?

Have a great day!

P2R twins

sophie June 15, 2011 at 5:41 am

This recipe looks delicious! I cannot wait to make it…this weekend ;) I love pumpkin and do not think I will be getting sick of it anytime soon! My favourite flavour for breakfasts (and other times) is cinnamon! I love having a cereal made with quinoa and adding maca, almonds, goji berries, vanilla, stevia, and cinnamon!!!!!!

Pure2 June 15, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Sophie, your cereal sounds yummy!

Kelly @foodiefresh June 15, 2011 at 5:45 am

Yum! I love coffee cake and pumpkin, so I imagine they would be great together. I often find that coffee cake is a bit too dry so I love your description of “dense and moist”. :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 15, 2011 at 7:46 am

Good luck at your meeting!! Those sound good except the cardomon, I just can’t like that spice, I’ve tried and tried! :)

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin June 15, 2011 at 8:08 am

I love coffee cake! This one looks especially rich and moist– which is totally my kinda cake. ;)

Sadly, I won’t be able to enjoy this until my Candida cleanse is over, but I’m bookmarking it!! Thanks for sharing the recipe and good luck with your big meeting for the bakery!

Paulina (One Smile Ahead) June 15, 2011 at 11:14 am

I love coffee cake! And pumpkin’s like my favorite thing so I’m definitely trying this out. I’ll probably try the non-gluten-free version since that’s what I have on hand. Thanks for the wonderful recipe! It really looks amazing :]

Heathy June 15, 2011 at 11:33 am

My goodness, those look so moist and fabulous!!! Good luck with your meeting! xo

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 15, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Good luck ladies! I hope things go your way today! The coffee cake looks amazing! I love pumpkin any time of year!

Pure2 June 15, 2011 at 2:07 pm

thanks Sarena, meeting went well and yes pumpkin all year long :)

Crysta June 15, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Yum! I surprisingly have ALL the stuff to make them…:) I’ll be trying them out tonight…can’t wait!

I don’t suppose you want to share the recipe for the yummy Tiramusu yumminess that you posted when your parents were in town?

Thinking of you both, and hope the meeting went well! Can’t wait to hear about it!

Pure2 June 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Thanks Crysta :)

Ela June 15, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Good luck with your meeting: I hope something exciting and productive comes out of it.

Sounds like a delicious recipe. I don’t think I’ve ever had coffee cake, and I don’t think I have any more pumpkin, but I might try that one.

Pure2 June 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Thanks Ela! :)

K June 15, 2011 at 2:38 pm

but it’s so simple?! it looks like it should require a myriad of instructions

i’ve done a bean patty today- take a peep? i need ideas on improvements!

Christine (The Raw Project) June 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Exciting, can’t wait for the bakery details! Yum on the coffee cake, it looks amazing. Thanks for the recipe!

Yes on coffee cake, but not that often. I haven’t been enjoying pumpkin because not fresh is just not available.

The Delicate Place June 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm

fingers and toes crossed for you! i saw your nervous tweet hope it went well!
1.love coffee cake
2. pumpkin..of course i can’t believe you asked ha
3. least fave breakfast food is sausage. gross i won’t eat it
4. least fave flavor: banana

carrie June 15, 2011 at 7:19 pm

i’ve missed coffee cake! and this looks even better because its so moist!! i might have to add chocolate chips…i keep throwing them into every sweet recipe lately… (and more importantly congrats on your business meeting going well!!)

Carla @ Gluten Free Recipe Box June 16, 2011 at 1:54 am

Wow! – That looks incredibly delicious! I have to try that one!

Hannah June 16, 2011 at 7:48 am

I’m positively drooling over this recipe! I never get sick of pumpkin, but it does become harder to find in the off-season. I’ll have to start hunting!

Pure2 June 16, 2011 at 8:11 am

yes Hannah it does become hard to find

Debbie June 16, 2011 at 8:16 am

I just have to try this with a few subs to make it all grain-free. It looks delicious and I, like Carrie, miss coffee cake. Pumpkin is my favorite baking ingredient, too. Best wishes on the bakery!

kate June 16, 2011 at 10:41 am

these look great I just need to get some pumpkin!

Jennifer July 9, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Anxious to make theses yummy looking bars but can’t find a 7″ baking pan without ordering online. Can they be made in a loaf pan or an 8×8 square pan with adjusting the baking time? Please advise!

Pure2 July 10, 2011 at 5:37 am

Jennifer if you use the 8×8 square pan they might come out pretty thin, as it is already a small batter. I would try the loaf pan first and might have to bake it longer, as it will be a little thicker. I guess we will need to recreate these ourselves with a different size pan :)

Crysta August 10, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I finally made this! The texture is out of this world…soft, chewy, gooey. Love the coconut sugar/cinnamon topping too, I think I may try it out on sweet potatoes for the holidays. I was suprised at how much it tasted like a brown sugar topping…Cross between a pancake texture and something else. YUM! :)

Pure2 August 11, 2011 at 4:03 am

Crysta yay! So happy you liked it as much as we did, and yes the topping was delicious :)

Crysta August 10, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Oh I put in a 8 inch cake pan and they were still pretty thick. I just cut them like a pie instead.