The best way to eat and make okra fries

by lori on July 12, 2011

Hello friends,

Thanks again for the sweet comments about our thoughts with being business owners. You guys always know how to make us feel great about what we are doing. Thank you!

Today’s Recipe Inspiration came from a recipe that we stumbled upon off food gawker.   Viviane’s way of making okra fries looked easy and delicious. It was one worth attempting!  It is funny how the sites like foodgawker have become our places to look for recipes and get inspiration. We do not search much on google for recipe ideas.

Have you ever tried a vegetable that you were once nervous about trying but took the chance to try it? Were you happy with the results?

I enjoyed my first okra with Gary and his family a few months ago. Yes that is right I never had okra before that, neither has Michelle. I fell in love with okra and wanted to make it for Michelle. I was unsure of exactly the style I wanted out of my okra and saw these okra fries and a light bulb went off! That is what I want to make!

OKRA FRIES!

I thought okra fries would be a great recipe for Michelle’s first time enjoying okra! We are not sure why we never really ate okra before. I think we were unsure of what okra would be like, a little scared of it maybe. Unusual for us because typically we LOVE all VEGGIES! Could I now make Michelle and I lovers of okra?!?!

We ended up placing them on a large skillet to cook some more because they ended up not getting as crispy as we were looking for.  Next time we will try it from the beginning on the skillet to see how it compares to baking them. Our batch of okra fries was a mix of crispy and soft, chewy okra fries. Not a bad attempt for our first time.

Verdict: Did I make Michelle a lover of okra?

We feel this is the best way to eat okra. From now on I think whenever I enjoy okra it is going to be in this form one way or another! Okra turned out to be very simple to make and easy to work with which made me very pleased. Okra is a great side dish for dinner or salad topper.

Enjoy!

Twins Question: Have you ever made okra? What is your favorite way to enjoy okra? Any new vegetable that you have tried out lately that you were surprised how good it was?

Lori

Crysta July 12, 2011 at 5:41 am

No slime! I gave up eating okra because I couldn’t figure out how to cook it and not have it be all slimy…can’t wait to try these :) Do you have a post somewhere that tells where you order all your goodies. Trying to find yacon syrup, bee pollen, spirulina, raw cocoa, etc. I am not sure which route to go. I have been looking at amazon, is that the best price?

Ricki July 12, 2011 at 6:11 am

I LOVE okra and this recipe is pure brilliance! I’ve posted about my fave okra masala before and a couple other recipes, but I’ve never tried okra fries before, either! Your recommendation is good enough for me–these babies are going to be on my menu asap! :D

Pure2 July 12, 2011 at 7:05 am

Ricki we will have to check out our okra masala ;)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg July 12, 2011 at 6:21 am

As a Southern girl, I loooooove okra :-) These look awesome!

Katie July 12, 2011 at 6:30 am

I miss okra! I love it, and I haven’t found it at any grocery stores here. I usually roast mine until it is really really crispy and then just dip them in loads of ketchup. PERFECT.

Teri {a foodie stays fit} July 12, 2011 at 7:51 am

That’s so funny you just posted this! I recently discovered the dehydrated okra chips at Fresh Market and LOVE them! I can’t wait to try this baked version!

Pure2 July 12, 2011 at 8:51 am

I saw you say that and I was laughing because great minds think alike :)

Kelsey July 12, 2011 at 7:55 am

Oh my goodness, these look seriously awesome! I love okra but I never buy it! that needs to change.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 12, 2011 at 8:05 am

I wish I liked okra after seeing this! Maybe I need to give it another go! It looks amazing!

lynn @ the actor's diet July 12, 2011 at 8:39 am

okra may be the only food i don’t really like (the slime). but when it’s fried…that’s a different story!

Pure2 July 12, 2011 at 8:52 am

Lynn yes it is a different story. This is the only we way we have had it, so not much to slime to compare it too.

Ana July 12, 2011 at 9:15 am

I have been eating okra since I can remember myself and I always liked it. And, my son loves it too! I find it to be the funniest thing to see my kid begging me to buy okra on the farmers market when it is in season, he really enjoys it.
My mom always cooked okra in a pan, she would sautee garlic and onions, add the chopped okra to it along with a little salt and some lime (or lemon) juice. Then she would just cook it on its own juices. The okra became soft and delicious and the lemon juice helped take the slime factor away.
This is the way I used to eat and cook okra, until last year when I decided to roast some okra… omg, they turned out amazingly delicious and both me and my son fell in love with it!! Just seasoned with salt, pepper and olive oil, put in a 400F oven and let it roast, turning it halfway through the roasting process. The flavor was amazing and no slime at all.
We also tried grilling it last year and it was another delicious way of making it!
I will try your okra fries next, and I am sure we will love it too!
Ana

Teresa July 12, 2011 at 9:26 am

I love pickled okra the best. My mom always made it. It is not slimy when pickled just crisp and tasty!

natalie (the sweets life) July 12, 2011 at 10:15 am

we loooooooove okra but usually just roast them whole with some seasonings sprinkled on. i HAVE to try this method! (we’re attempting to grow okra this year so hopefully i’ll have lots to experiment with :) )

Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters July 12, 2011 at 11:18 am

Never tried okra, I’ve always been a bit intimidated by it. The same goes with parsnip and rhubarb. I’ll have to try this recipe out. Any way to pick “fresh” okra that I should know about? Hard okra or squishy or…?

Heidi @ Food Doodles July 12, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Mmm, those look good. I think I’ve had okra before but I don’t really remember it and I’m sure it wasn’t served like this. I don’t see it often up here, but I might get a little bit to try like this next time I do see it. I’m always curious about new fruits and veggies :D

Gena July 12, 2011 at 2:21 pm

What a great idea! They look insanely good.

Ela July 12, 2011 at 2:58 pm

For Lauren of the previous comment, I have a whole post on rhubarb just last week, http://ulteriorharmony.blogspot.com/2011/07/load-of-rhubarb-rhubarb-curry-and-cabin.html –hope you don’t mind me posting the link. I live in AK, so rhubarb is unavoidable.

I was raised with okra–my Israeli grandma fixes it all the time, but in a tomato sauce. I haven’t had it crispy: I imagine it would be great that way, maybe I should dehydrate some! I don’t get much opportunity to find okra in AK though :(

Hope you’re doing well–crazy busy over here and I’m not getting to read everything.

Pure2 July 12, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Ela that is awesome about being raised with Okra, sorry you can not get much access to it now!

(what runs) Lori July 12, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I’ve made okra fries (not as tasty looking as yours) but I don’t think I baked them long enough. They weren’t as crispy as I would have liked. Anyhow, yours look really good! I love using odd veggies… and I would classify okra as an odd veggie. ;)

Pure2 July 12, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Lori haha well not all our okra fries were cripsy a little chewy too! I do not think we baked our as long either, next time we plan using the skillet to see how they turn out! Fingers crossed haha

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free July 12, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I’m ashamed to admit that I have never really had okra. Must buy some next time I’m at the store!

Pure2 July 12, 2011 at 5:10 pm

it is ok Alex we never had it till this year!

Christine (The Raw Project) July 12, 2011 at 3:58 pm

This looks like the best way to enjoy okra, thanks! I’ve had a hard time getting into okra, the texture freaks me out a little. But this looks like the perfect solution.

The Delicate Place July 12, 2011 at 4:25 pm

mmm i love okra! i brought pickeled okra to my bro’s engagement party and you’d be amazed how shocked people were…must be because we’re northerners ;)

Pure2 July 12, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Pickeled okra is something we will have to try next!

Jackie Smith July 12, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Do you eat cornmeal? That’s what my mom “breads” okra in–it makes them extra crispy!

Pure2 July 12, 2011 at 5:11 pm

No we do not really eat cornmeal, but I bet it does provide a crispy texture!

Jay July 13, 2011 at 2:32 am

loved it ….perfect version..
new to your place…lovely space you have..
excellent recipe collection..
Am your happy subscriber now..:)
do stop by mine sometime…
Tasty Appetite

Hannah July 16, 2011 at 7:08 am

Crunchy fried okra is one of my favorite snacks! But it’s so unhealthy and I would never make it at home… Your recipe is priceless! Can’t wait to try it. :)

Jill July 17, 2011 at 5:02 am

I tried this and cooked them in the skillet instead of oven, with a tad more coconut oil. Used fresh okra from the local farmers’s market. They were delicious. Can’t wait to try them again.

Pure2 July 17, 2011 at 5:05 am

Awesome Jill!! Skillet sounds like a better option.

Jessie James July 24, 2011 at 7:49 am

would it be possible to do this recipe with other veggies such as a zucchinni??

Pure2 July 24, 2011 at 11:25 am

Jessie oh yes of course!

Jessie James July 24, 2011 at 8:47 pm

just gave it a shot with zucchinni and it was delicious!

Pure2 July 25, 2011 at 5:44 am

Awesome! we will have to try it out on other veggies too

Jess August 6, 2011 at 8:12 am

These sound extremely delicious. I just tried my first okra in April and have been trying to find different ways to be cooking it. Thanks for the recipe! :)