Loving it HOT

by Lori and Michelle on July 20, 2011

Remember we received some new sauerkraut samples.

We have been enjoying them so00 much!

Who knew we would ever love things HOT (spicy).

We are normally girls who like things plain, simple, not to complicated, and especially not spicy. But Farmhouse Horseradish kraut turned us over.

Then we tried the Smoked Jalapeno kraut…love love love it.

Farmhouse Culture sure knows how to make some delicious flavored kraut. One of the best sauerkrauts we have had, apart from our own homemade kraut.

Besides their great kraut, Farmhouse Culture is dedicated to reducing their environmental impact that they package the kraut with biodegradable starch peanuts. Very cool!  And if you live in California you are even more lucky because they can can be found in 40 Northern California stores and several Bay Area farmers markets a week.

So go check them out, promise you will not be disappointed.

We have enjoyed their kraut on Twin Cake’s sunflower kale chia flatbread

Now we are not praising these just because we received them free….we really have been enjoying them a lot!!

Even wonderful on salads filled with lettuce, kraut, avocado, and savory kale crackers.

We love our fermented, cultured food, and so do our tummies!

Twins Question: Do you like hot, spicy foods? Do you like sauerkraut? Do you like fermented, cultured foods and/or drinks? What foods keep your tummy happy?

We have some amazing simple recipes coming soon!

Pure2raw twins

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free July 20, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I used to not like spicy, but now I like a bit. Not so much that I can’t taste the other flavors, but some is good. (and it helps congestion and makes my tummy feel good)

LOVE sauerkraut!!! One of my favorite childhood meals (and now!) was when my mom made summer sausages with kraut….so yummy :D

And I love kombucha and apple cider vinegar-both feel good on my tummy. Also, any kind of soft food like scrambled eggs, broth-based soup, and ginger cookies! (ok…that’s not soft, but the ginger really helps an upset stomach!)

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan July 20, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Yuumm!! We just made a batch of sauerkraut and live by it! Probiotics are sooo important.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 20, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I love hot and spicy foods BUT i dont like tons of added sodium. Most prepared foods always add tons of salt to the heat…not necessary! :)

Kaleigh July 20, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Oh my gosh, I LOVE spicy foods! I can put hot sauce or salse on everything (and I mostly do, haha).
I also do love sauerkraut, though I have yet to make my own at home. I have the jars for it though! It’s just a matter of time!
And I like fermented foods and kombucha, yum! I like the Synergy brand, they have some nice flavors and pretty jars :)
I’ve been reading your blog for a while and I thought it was time I left some kind of mark to let you know, especially when I can leave the first comment! :D

Pure2 July 21, 2011 at 4:45 am

Thanks Kaleigh! It is nice to meet you and thanks for commenting!! Like you love fermented foods and kombucha like we do!!!

Christine (The Raw Project) July 20, 2011 at 4:03 pm

This sounds wonderful, I’m a huge fan of hot and spicy foods. Thanks for the review!

lynn @ the actor's diet July 20, 2011 at 5:08 pm

i love sauerkraut AND i love hot and spicy. that’s why i’m so into kimchi!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) July 20, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Yes! love spice, love sauerkraut (reminds me of a reuben sandwich!!)

Katie July 20, 2011 at 7:11 pm

The spicier the better! And I love kraut. Its usually too salty for me though, so I like to make my own, but store bought is so much easier!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! July 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm

for some reason I used to be really wary of spicy and fermented foods, but I’m not sure why. I’m over it though, I love it hot and full of bacteria!

Farmhouse Culture July 21, 2011 at 11:22 am

Thanks for the review! We’re so glad to hear that you enjoyed our krauts. The pictures of flatbread with kraut are really beautiful.

As for the sodium- while sauerkraut isn’t a low-sodium food, we use around half the salt that most commercial kraut makers use. Chinese medicine and few Western medicine studies also show it’s more about the balance of sodium and potassium- and kraut is very high in potassium.

Enjoy!

Pure2 July 21, 2011 at 11:25 am

Thanks! We love your kraut so good!

Eimear Rose July 21, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I’m so jealous of the sauerkraut, it looks AMAZING! I love smoked chilli as well. I tried making sauerkraut myself but it was a bit of a disaster, and I haven’t been able to find a really natural brand that I like. Maybe Farmhouse Culture will send some of their lovely products to the UK soon!

Sarah @ Serotonin for Breakfast July 21, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Hello! I recently discovered your blog, and what a perfect way to introduce myself…

Hi, my name is Sarah, and I am a sauerkraut addict. Lol.

I’ve never had a spicy version, but I do normally add Tabasco to regular sauerkraut when I’m using it as a condiment/aka burying my meal in it. :)

Anyways, I really love your blog!

Pure2 July 22, 2011 at 4:36 am

Hello Sarah, thanks for the comment and yay for kraut!

Lauren July 22, 2011 at 7:22 am

So jealous! You know I love my kraut! Yum, glad you ladies are enjoying it! :)

Pure2 July 22, 2011 at 7:25 am