Low Sugar Carob Chia Cookies

by Lori and Michelle on July 19, 2011

Hello luvs,

Today we have a sweet but not overly sweet carob chia cookies for you. It was funny how we decided on this week’s recipe inspiration from a fellow blogger. For some reason we just couldn’t decide what we wanted to make. Everything sounded good but nothing really motivating us to make until we browsed Ricki’s site for some low sugar recipe ideas. We knew we wanted to do something with carob but unsure of what. Ricki had this great carob low sugar cookie that sounded perfect!

We made some changes to the recipe to create a cookie that contains chia seeds because we just love chia seeds texture in our chocolate based baked goods

like our

Candida friendly bite-size brownie cakes

Low sugar carob mini bundt cakes

Both of those recipes we loved and were excited to try chia seeds and carob as a cookie!

Perfect little SOFT low-sugar gluten-free and vegan cookies! Delicious!

We loved them! They were easy to make and taste great! The cookies were soft with a sweet carob flavor.

Now we just wished we had some of our cookie sandwiches fillings to make sandwiches with these cookies. Though these cookies taste great all on their own. Thanks again Ricki for the inspiration!

Enjoying this right now- cookies and dandy tea

Twins Question: What are you enjoying right now? Do you like carob? Are you a soft or thin and crunchy cookie person?

Till next time, xoxo

L&M

Mandiee July 19, 2011 at 9:40 am

I like my cookies soft and chewy, almost brownie-like. I’m all about the low sugar, gluten-free thing, too. What kind of gluten-free flour do you use? I just decided to make it my mission to find one that I like best! My stomach would definitely appreciate the lack of gluten but the ability of me to get more creative in the kitchen again.

Pure2 July 19, 2011 at 9:58 am

Mandiee, we like to use blends of gluten free flours mixed in one or two starches. we feel it really helps balance all out so that not one flavor is dominate unless that is what we want out of the recipe for example amaranth cookie – we would use primarily amaranth flour with a starch or something. but typically we do blends for sorghum (one of our favorites), millet (another favorite) and quinoa mixed with arrowroot and potato. than we just scoop one cup of flour out of that blend for what ever recipe we are using. We like using more of the flavorful gluten free flours like ones mention plus coconut flour over plain rice flour.

Kristina @ spabettie July 19, 2011 at 9:47 am

these look great, girls! I LOVE carob, it reminds me of my childhood – we were a carob household. :)

I like BOTH soft and crunchy cookies, depending on craving or mood, I suppose? I’ll never turn away a cookie.

Pure2 July 19, 2011 at 9:55 am

haha same here Kristina!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) July 19, 2011 at 9:56 am

those look great, and i am a sucker for mugs and i love the yellow ones!! i just realized how much i love coconut flour.. and enjoyed some pancakes this morning made of out it :)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 19, 2011 at 10:47 am

I love carob! It has such a nice natural sweetness to it. Great recipe inspiration today!

Heidi @ Food Doodles July 19, 2011 at 11:23 am

Mmm, I love all kinds of cookies. I’m probably the least picky person when it comes to sweets. I love how fluffy even the dough of these looks. I actually still haven’t tried carob. Weird, right? I have some in my cupboard that’s begging to be tried but I always forget about it!

Pure2 July 19, 2011 at 12:55 pm

haha Heidi, we do that too we forget about ingredients :)

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan July 19, 2011 at 12:17 pm

These are my kinda cookies! Deelicious!

I like my cookies thin and chewy and you guys know how much we love carob ;)

Pure2 July 19, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Ricki July 19, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Love this version! So glad the cookies inspired you to make these. :D I’m going to try chia in mine next time, too–I love chia in all its forms!

Pure2 July 19, 2011 at 12:55 pm

thanks Ricki! All your recipes look great it was hard to pick haha we love our carob and chia!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free July 19, 2011 at 1:16 pm

These look good! I have some carob I need to use up anyway.

Right now-enjoying high protein cookies with extra pb :D

Katie July 19, 2011 at 1:20 pm

YUM! I had a baking failure this morning, so I am in a funk. I need to make these to get out of it. And I even have all the ingredients!

Pure2 July 19, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Katie sorry to hear about the baking failure, I know what you are feeling ;) I hope these cookies help!

Kelsey July 19, 2011 at 2:02 pm

these look absolutely delicious! love the idea of a carob cookie; carob is one of my favorite flavors!

Pure2 July 19, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Ours too Kelsey!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! July 19, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I like my cookies with a but of crunch on the outside, but soft and dough-y on the inside :-D . These look fantastic, and I love chia every way. Havent made cookies with them yet, that has to change!

Pure2 July 19, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Thanks Rachel! You must try chia in cookies they are delicious ;)

Krissy July 19, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Soft or Crunchy – I’m not picky – especially when it’s one of your recipes – they never disappoint! :) These look yummyyy – I LOVE the taste of carob – can’t wait to try these! xo

Pure2 July 19, 2011 at 4:40 pm

same here Krissy! We love any cookie :)

Ela July 19, 2011 at 3:17 pm

So yummy-looking–and carob with cardamom? Yum… I want to try this.

I don’t hardly ever eat cookies, so I don’t even know what my favorite is, but probably the moist, soft ones.

Laury @thefitnessdish July 19, 2011 at 6:03 pm

wow..these looks unreal!

so when you do liquid coconut oil, do you just heat it?

Pure2 July 19, 2011 at 6:34 pm

yes Laury, but now due to the summer heat the coconut oil stays liquid

Lisa July 19, 2011 at 7:41 pm

These sound great! Thanks for sharing the recipe—I love anything with chia :)

Jammed Thoughts July 20, 2011 at 1:30 am

These sound incredible. If only I had chia seeds. I think I need to just grit my teeth and buy some, no matter how much my wallet protests.

Casey Lorraine July 20, 2011 at 2:21 am

These look wonderful! I adore anything carob

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well. July 20, 2011 at 2:49 am

I love soft and fluffy cookies! Those look really great! I’ve only baked brownies with coconut oil, but I will definitely have to try it in my next cookies, but I really love the flavor of butter in cookies :)

Hannah July 21, 2011 at 4:33 am

I’ll definitely have to try these! I’m not sure if I ever mentioned this here, but a little while ago I made a carob version of the raw biscotti you posted on The Fitnessista’s blog, and it was magnificent! Thank you!

Pure2 July 21, 2011 at 4:42 am

Hannah so glad to hear it! That is one of our favs :)

Ellen July 23, 2011 at 10:19 am

I just tried these…yum! I halved the cardamom and used almond flour. They are like brownies!! Next time I might try adding shredded coconut. Thanks for a good vegan and gluten free recipe!!

Pure2 July 23, 2011 at 11:00 am

Awesome to hear Ellen!! Love the idea of shredded coconut, yum!

The Healthy Apple July 24, 2011 at 4:31 pm

These look fabulous; nice n’ light and perfect for a summer treat. Fabulous recipe!

Brittany July 27, 2011 at 4:09 am

I’ve been looking for more carob recipes and this one looks perfect!! Thanks ladies. :)

Pure2 July 27, 2011 at 4:39 am

Your welcome Brittany! We loved these cookies and think you will too

Mark July 27, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Awesome! Superfood cookies! I eat chia seeds every morning in a smoothie. I do need to find more ways of incorporating them in foods. Great work!

Stephanie July 28, 2011 at 1:15 pm

It looks really delicious!!!
I’m going to try the recipe ;)

Lindsay October 13, 2011 at 3:17 pm

hmmm…. Carob. I really enjoy carob meal– which I tried for the first time recently. I used carob powder before that. I prefer the nutritional benefit of the carob meal! Great site by the way ;)
Lindsay recently posted..Get Some { PROBAR }My Profile

Stephanie October 15, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Hello!! I finally made the cookies today with minor modifications and it turned out great! I didn’t have stevia, but I actually preferred the not-too-sweet taste of the cookie :) I enjoyed it very much as a pre-workout snack!! Thanks for the recipe!
Stephanie recently posted..Hi, there!! (ultra post here)My Profile

Lori and Michelle October 15, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Stephanie this is awesome!! Glad you liked them.

Terri June 4, 2012 at 10:49 am

Pure2
I’m very new to this, will you please give me specific infor on preparing your flour mix, it sounds delicious.

Thanks you

Emily May 6, 2013 at 9:47 am

I added a tsp of maca powder, too–turn out great. Also used cocoa and had to sub Earth Balance for applesauce.