What is Lucuma

by Lori and Michelle on July 15, 2011

Happy Friday luvs!

The lovely people over at Navitas Naturals sent us, awhile ago (that we are just now getting to post about it), a package full of two of our favorite things plus a new product.

We are huge fans of lucuma and yacon, which you have seen million times here on the blog.

And Navitas Naturals is one of our favorite places to get ingredients.

If you have been following our blog for awhile you would have noticed we like to use fun and unique ingredients. If you have ever wondered what are good substitutions you are in luck because we have shared our thoughts on using special ingredients and substitutions before.

Today we are going to focus on lucuma.

Our top favorite way to enjoy lucuma  is ice cream!

What is lucuma?

a sweet and edible fruit of the Lucuma tree - resembling a persimmon in appearance, and has naturally occurring beta-carotene, niacin, and iron. For more info check out Navitas Natural Lucuma.

What does it taste like?

Lucuma powder does have an unique and distinctive sweet fragrance with a slight maple-like taste. We honestly love the flavor! If you are new to lucuma it may take some getting used to the flavor, but maybe not. It is used a lot in ice creams because it really does help provide sweetness and creaminess all in one. One reason we love it.

How to use it?

Since it is a powder, lucuma can be used in so many types of recipes – smoothies, pies, creams, pastries.

Here are some of our favorite lucuma recipes:

Our ultimate mac-n-mint cookie sandwich

Unbaked chocolate dipped donut holes

Avocado frosted donuts

lucuma frosted pumpkin squares

amaranth flatbread with lucuma glaze

Grasshopper Pie

Easy banana pancakes

As you see lucuma can be used in raw and cooked recipes.

So many things you can do with this wonderful product!! We love it.  We have also used it drinks like our coconut kefir.

And another box of goodies arrived in the mail.

Farmhouse culture contacted us asking if we would review their kraut…yes! As we have been enjoying Zukay’s fermented products, we just cannot get enough of cultured foods!!  So we are excited to give these a try!

Twins Question: Do you like to use unique/alternative/different ingredients or flavors in your recipes? If you do use lucuma what is your favorite way to enjoy it? For those of you who do not use lucuma, would you ever be interested in trying it?

we are off to run some errands, maybe a little more dress shopping, and shipping out orders (which Twin Cakes Bakery is offering a 18% July special sale till Sunday, coupon code: summersnacks, plus each order will receive FREE samples of our NEW carrot cake and cocoa with espresso sea salt coconut bites) *sale is for orders over $45. Now is a great time to share healthy gluten-free living snacks with friends and family!

L&M

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free July 15, 2011 at 7:29 am

Ok. You have convinced me to buy some lucuma. Going to check it out now.

Kat July 15, 2011 at 7:31 am

I love lucama in smoothies!

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh July 15, 2011 at 7:39 am

Thanks for sharing this! I have heard you talk about lucuma before, and always wondered what it was! Everything looks so tasty! These desserts make me want to run out and buy some today! :)

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan July 15, 2011 at 7:53 am

We just posted our butterscotch-tahini bars using lucuma. We love it! It tastes like shortbread and caramel. soooo good! We love it in ice cream which is actually as popular as vanilla in other parts of the world…

Pure2 July 15, 2011 at 11:09 am

sounds delicious!!!

Kristina @ spabettie July 15, 2011 at 7:58 am

I LOVE lucuma and use it a lot (I made your lucuma frosting again just last week!) :D my favorite? I just made a lucuma muffin… it was an OLD post from when I first started blogging, and I’m about to re-do it, the muffin was so good!

happy Friday!

Pure2 July 15, 2011 at 11:09 am

Lucuma muffin now that sounds like heaven!

lynn @ the actor's diet July 15, 2011 at 8:00 am

looking forward to seeing what you make w the maqui!

Kelsey July 15, 2011 at 8:46 am

I would love to try lacuma! It’s definitely near the top of my list–esp. after this delicious post! :)

I also really want to try maca powder…

Heidi @ Food Doodles July 15, 2011 at 9:08 am

I’ve actually never tried lucuma except in a raw chocolate bar once so I can’t really say if I like it or not. I’d love to try it, but I find the store I shop at doesn’t have small quantities of it, and if I’m paying for it I don’t want to buy a ton and find out I don’t like it. Although that happened with nooch(tried it, didn’t like it and then tried it again and liked it) so maybe it would be worth it? I don’t know. Your desserts made with it look so tempting :D I love using different ingredients in things, and I like making things “traditional” too.

Christine (The Raw Project) July 15, 2011 at 10:57 am

Yum, great recipe inspiration – thanks! I adore lucuma powder and need to stock my pantry with it, great in banana soft serves, raw date balls, and chia seed pudding.

Ela July 15, 2011 at 10:59 am

You got some super goodies today!!

I love lucuma–just got some for the first time in about three years. I posted an awesome smoothie I made with it. I used to use it in raw cakes and chocolates–looking forward to playing with it again. I love using unique ingredients, including wild-foraged stuff!

Pure2 July 15, 2011 at 11:11 am

:) thanks ELA

Katie July 15, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I never knew what lacuma was, so thanks for this awesome review. Every time you posted a recipe with it, I was all, okay Katie, google this lacuma stuff. And then I’d leave a comment and forget to google it. :)

Horseradish leek kraut?!?!? I must make that.

Pure2 July 15, 2011 at 1:59 pm

haha Katie, I am glad we could clear it all up :)

Charissa July 15, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Love this post! I hope you post even more recipes about lucuma…I have a big bag of the raw stuff…but I’ve never really learned to use it!!!

Pure2 July 15, 2011 at 1:59 pm

you got it Charissa!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I have never tried any of this and I want to! The lucuma sounds incredible! I’m a huge fan of kraut too! YUM!

Meredith July 15, 2011 at 1:53 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE weird/unique ingredient. I actually love introducing weird ingredients to people also. I am excited to try some of those ingredients in the future.

veganlisa July 15, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I love lucuma’s fruity sweetness. I’ve never made it into ice cream but I have played with it many raw desserts.

Looks like you two have a pretty full pantry to satisfy your culinary creativity.
xo

Jessie James July 16, 2011 at 11:11 am

do you find it is cheaper to order your lucuma powders online? I have been searching for a good one with a decent price:)

Pure2 July 16, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Jessie, we tend to buy our ingredients online in bulk since there is two of us and we use them a lot. Try iherb, amazon to start then try navitas naturals site, or raw foods world, or natural zing. Hope this helps! xoxo

Andrea M July 17, 2011 at 6:42 pm

i have never even heard of lucuma until just Now! And oh. my. word. I am enamored by your recipes that include it! I would love to try it. I have no idea where you would even find such an ingredient.

Pure2 July 18, 2011 at 4:43 am

Thanks Andrea, we get lucuma from Navitas Naturals, listed above in the post ;)

Rachel July 25, 2011 at 8:30 am

Amazing!
I just made an amazing vegan recipe too!

I just started to blog so check it out!

Thanks,