brownies for breakfast

by Lori and Michelle on August 2, 2011

hello luvs,

Last week we enjoyed a recipe inspired by the amazing Heather.

Heather has some really great recipes, but the one recipe that really inspired us was her scookies. The name just got us too, love it.

We did make some changes to Heather’s original recipe.

• we used a blend of mix nuts for our flour (cashews, almonds, and hazelnuts).
  • added dried cranberries instead of chocolate squares
  • added in some orange zest (we just love orange and cranberries together)

Also our nut flour was not perfectly grind into fine flour. But we ended up liking the texture that our ‘not so fine’ nut flours provided our scookies. We enjoyed how there was no sugar added to the recipe. Heather is a big fan of healthy fats and low sugar, just like us.

Between the nuts and coconut it had plenty of flavor. The addition of cranberries was nice too!

These scookies were sooooo good. Scrumptious and flavorful! Thanks again Heather for the brilliant idea and recipe.

Yesterday we were productive during the day and worked hard on our bakery’s new labels for our products. We will share a sneak peak here soon. Plus we got to hang out with our older sister, which was really nice too!

In the midst of doing work we did whip up a batch of our chewy brownies. last night.

brownies

And enjoying them this morning.  it is never to early for brownies

we doubled the recipe and baked it in a 10 inch circle pan (the pan we typically bake our socca in) and they turned out great.  we love our rich chewy brownies.

we are off to attempt to get some work done today, though, all we can really think about is our dear friend and what she is going through and what she is about to experience.  we are so at lost for words, why is it so hard sometimes to think of the right things to say in situations like this?  we did have a long night, our friend got stuck in the charlotte airport on her way down to see her husband and we picked her up. stayed up with her most of the night and dropped her off at airport this morning. praying that she finally makes it to see her husband today. we feel so bad for her, she has been through so much in just trying to get home.

Twins question: Do you ever eat brownies for breakfast? Would you rather have brownies, cake, cookies, or pancakes for breakfast? Or all of them? We would enjoy them all!

now that we have brownies on your mind go make yourself something nice today…chocolate cures everything, right?

P2R Twins

Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 2, 2011 at 7:48 am

You’re good friends to care so much. I am sure she is very grateful to have you.
And yes, I have had brownies for breakfast.

Nadia August 2, 2011 at 8:39 am

Raw brownies, cake, cookies and raw banana pancakes are some of my most favorite breakfasts :) My niece was a guest last month and I served her my raw chocolate ganache with some fresh berries for breakfast. She was stunned by the idea of such a dessert for breakfast, but loved it too, said she might move to live with me if I eat something like that every morning :)

Carrie August 2, 2011 at 9:03 am

You are such supportive friends -definitely sending positive thoughts to your friend and husband! And chocolate for breakfast…it’s happened maybe too often! I have a Twincakes brownie mix calling my name….now…!

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well August 2, 2011 at 9:30 am

Both recipes look delicious :) I’d much rather have pancakes for breakfast!!! And I often do!

I hope everything is okay with your friend and her husband!!

lindsay August 2, 2011 at 9:45 am

you two are definitely wonderful friends. What a blessing. Praying she gets there safe and sound today!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! August 2, 2011 at 10:01 am

I love having something rich and a bit sweet for breakfast! I often crave that kind of stuff all day if i don’t.
You guys are great friends, and I’m sure your friend appreciates it more than you think. Just knowing that you are there for her if she needs anything is really powerful.

Christine (The Raw Project) August 2, 2011 at 10:47 am

I have no problem with brownies for breakfast, sounds like a nice alternative to my smoothies. :-) Think I’d like all of those options for breakfast. :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 2, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Your friend and her husband are in my thoughts. So scary, especially when she couldn’t get to him. That had to have been awful, and I know that she is grateful that you were there and stayed with her last night.

Yes, I concur – chocolate covers all wrongs. Well, chocolate and coffee. So happy to hear you guys tried the scookies, and your version sounds and looks amazing. Love the addition of orange zest and cranberries. A match definitely made in heaven. :)

Pure2 August 2, 2011 at 1:43 pm

thank you Heather!!!! And yes chocolate and coffee covers all wrong :) luv ya xoxo

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free August 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Heater’s scookies were genius! I made my own spin on them, too, adding lots of fun stuff! I called mine Smacaroons!!!

And I don’t really eat brownies for breakfast….once I had a leftover slice of banana cream pie…it was healthy I promise!

Pure2 August 2, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Alex that sounds awesome, we will have to check out your version! Thanks!

Jen August 2, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Ok now I know why there were no brownies left for me!

Pure2 August 3, 2011 at 5:10 am

haha, we ate them all ;) you got cookies

Rebecca August 2, 2011 at 6:47 pm

For some reason I can never do chocolate at breakfast or anything overly sweet. I did once do a lemon supreme cake for breakfast once though.

Eden August 2, 2011 at 11:05 pm

gah!!!!! Im so behind on my blog reading!
Im so sorry about your friend’s husband. Life sure gives us some curve balls.

I’ve never indulged in brownies for breakfast. The closest I got is a poptart.

Pure2 August 3, 2011 at 5:10 am

Thank you Eden.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 3, 2011 at 4:46 am

It’s rare that I eat goodies for breakfast since I love cereal so much, but yesterday I had one of my coconut-chocolate bars and it was amazing. And I’m pretty sure I could eat cake any time of day!!