cilantro apple post workout smoothie

by Lori and Michelle on August 22, 2011

Happy Monday everyone!

We had a hard day yesterday, but good too. We spent the day with our best friend and her husband at the hospital. Remember we mentioned he got in a bad motorcycle accident. Well he has been in a coma going on 20 days now. He suffers from extreme head trauma,but he is stable now and out of the ICU!!! So progress.

Both of us never thought we would know someone in a coma. It was just something we saw on tv.

But it is happening. We are experiencing it. And to be honest it is scary.

We have faith. We have hope. We know he will wake up. Just have to wait.

Has anyone experienced a coma? Or know someone? Or if any one has any information on comas we would love to hear! It is all knew to us.

Okay time to talk smoothies!!

It is no surprise that we love smoothies. Smoothies have been apart of our diet for a few years now, and probably will always be.

Smoothies are not for everyone.  Not everyone will want a smoothie daily like we do, let alone two smoothies.

We drink smoothies because:

• we love them
  • easy for us to digest
  • we love them
  • portable meal in a cup
  • we love them

We are sorry if you are a person who hates to see smoothie after smoothie.  But why would we change something if it makes us feel good and our bodies like it?

Both of us have been enjoying our fruit based smoothies after we workout.

They usually contain:

• some type of fruit (apples, banana, figs, peaches are what we have been enjoying lately) – to help with recovery, getting our glucose levels stable
  • water or a nut milk – think this is self explanatory
  • hemp seeds- protein
  • little something green (spirulina, basil, mint, cilantro, etc) – for alkalinity

Sometimes we throw in a little chia seeds too.

We try to keep our smoothies simple.

We love using frozen fruit to help give a creamy texture.

If you are not a cilantro fan, throw in any fresh herb you like, parsley is another good one. We really enjoyed this smoothie – loved the flavor of cilantro, basil and ginger together.

Then about an hour later we have an savory avocado smoothie of some sort.

Twins Question: What is your current favorite smoothie? Do you like smoothies? Do you like to drink your food or chew?  Are you a cilantro fan? What is your favorite herb?

Also, we need your help. Twin Cakes needs your votes! You can vote daily all the way to the end of October.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

P2R twins

Lisa August 22, 2011 at 6:49 am

I love smoothies! My fave (I think) is avocado, pineapple and coconut milk…really smooth!

I don’t know much about comas—but I think they can be different for each person so also really unpredictable. A friend of mine from high school was in a coma and he did come out of it after a while. Sending good vibes to your friend!

Pure2 August 22, 2011 at 7:01 am

Lisa that smoothie sound delicious! And thanks for the good vibes!! And good to hear that your friend woke up from their coma!!

The Delicate Place August 22, 2011 at 7:05 am

oh girls. just thinking about your friends hubby makes me tear up :( i will pray for his healing and that he will come out of it! this sounds like a crazy combo for a smoothie and i hear you either love or hate cilantro! i love it! but some people who lack an enzyme or something it takes like soap instead of that great herby goodness!

Pure2 August 22, 2011 at 7:28 am

yay for another cilantro lover! I know we know a few people that just can’t stand it, we are sure glad our tastebuds love it :)

Heather August 22, 2011 at 7:08 am

Hey ladies! I have been reading your blog for almost a year now. I love seeing the new recipes you come up with….including the smoothies! :) and I have experimented with several of your recipes at home (raw mallomars, macaroons, brownies, cakes, muffins, as well as some of your savory dishes and smoothies) and have been very happy with them all! Thank you for that!

I have never left a comment on your blog before, but felt I needed to write something after seeing what is happening with your friend. I just wanted you to know that I have a friend that was in a motorcycle accident when he was 19 years old. He had such extensive swelling in his brain that they had to drill to relieve the pressure. He also had chest tubes in both lungs as well as a trach. He was in a coma for 6 months. The point of this story is to tell you that I did not even meet this man until he was 43 years old. He was my co-worker at the hospital I was working at. He is the most amazing, energetic, fun-loving guy I have ever met. He is married, has 2 kids and is very active. The only reason I even knew this had happened to him was because he told me the story and showed me the small scars on his head and chest as “proof” ;) Keep praying! Keep the faith! Stay strong for him. Miracles happen everyday! I will pray for strength and healing for him, as well. Much love to all of you!!

Pure2 August 22, 2011 at 7:30 am

Heather wow!!! thank you so much for your amazing comment and thanks for sharing your friends story with us!!!! And yes we will keep praying and having our faith!!! thank you so much!!! and glad you enjoy our recipes :) hugs

Laura Agar Wilson (@keephealthstyle) August 22, 2011 at 7:55 am

I am crazy about smoothies, in fact I’ve just finished one that I had as an afternoon snack! I love green smoothies made really thick and eaten from a bowl with tasty toppings like nut butter sauce or goji berries. I really love the way green smoothies make me feel, I have them almost everyday but find that being able to change up the ingredients with different greens, fruit, superfoods, toppings etc keeps them really interesting :-)

Maaike August 22, 2011 at 8:11 am

My prayers go out to your friend’s husband and all those that love him. I had a coworker who was in a terrible motorcycle accident too and suffered severe head trauma and multiple broken bones. My (little, un-medical) understanding of comas is they help the body focus on healing. My coworker was in ICU for a long time and then in a rehab facility to relearn things. He was able to return to work at the 1 year mark, the maximum leave time, otherwise he would have lost his job. He worked successfully as a technician even with short-term memory loss. Thank God for that and the amazing doctors and medical professionals!
I love smoothies but not the dishes!

Pure2 August 22, 2011 at 9:15 am

Maaike, thank you so much for your story and support! : )

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well August 22, 2011 at 8:13 am

Glad to hear things are progressing for your friends! I hope it continues on the positive path!

As for smoothies, I’m loving peach, banana and spinach with raw milk yogurt! Super simple and very tasty!

Pure2 August 22, 2011 at 9:14 am

thank you Kristin!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather August 22, 2011 at 9:30 am

I luuuuuuv smoothies. Especially when they’re green :) . Bet the herbs were so refreshing in there!

Lauren August 22, 2011 at 10:38 am

This looks so refreshing! I enjoy cilantro, especially in juice/smoothies!

Mandy August 22, 2011 at 10:59 am

I hope this sad event has a positive outcome, the power of positive affirmations is limitless. My thoughts are with you. A dear friend of the family had a similar experience and apart from some short term memory loss and now getting tired easily you would never know he had gone through so much. He can’t even remember the accident or the short time after it, we now joke that he didn’t suffer as much as everyone else who endured that time not knowing what would happen :)
My favourite smoothie of the moment is avocado, pear and coconut water with a hint of ginger – smooth and refreshing, yum.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 22, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I voted for you two!

I am so sorry for your friend. My best friend from high school’s father-in-law just came out of a coma and it is just horrible. My thoughts are with your friend and the family.

Casey August 22, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Sending you both and your friends tons of healing and love to move through this. Times like this are so tragic and difficult and yet can put things in perspective and really show you what matters, as I’m sure it has for you.

Love all green smoothies but savoury would have to be my fave with avocado creamy goodness!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! August 22, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I’m starting to like smoothies more and more! Unfortunately the blender I have at home is *too big* to make a good smoothie for one… but only a few days until I move back to school! Then I can start experimenting.
One question – is there a good way to used dried figs in smoothies? I love the flavor, but I can’t find fresh ones anywhere near me :-(

Pure2 August 23, 2011 at 7:31 am

Rachel in terms of using dried figs, I would soak them overnight or for a few hours. It will not be exactly like using fresh figs, but should help a little.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 23, 2011 at 4:26 am

I like smoothies, but I usually have to eat them with some solid food in order to feel full! My favorite combination is vanilla SunWarrior with almond milk, canned pumpkin and lots of cinnamon. So freaking good!

Jen August 24, 2011 at 9:49 am

I have been reading your blog for a few months now and I’m so sorry to hear about your friend’s husband. My mother had a brain injury and was in a coma. It’s crucial that your friend gets into the very best rehab hospital- one that specializes in Traumatic Brain Injury. the quality and quantity of rehab he gets will be a huge difference in his recovery and “regular” rehab facilities don’t have the training and staff to work as effectively w TBI patients. Also, the more your friend can be involved w his therapy, the better. He will get better care if the medical professionals see her investing time and it will also help prepare her for when he comes home.
I hope this helps, and thank for you for your great website