fat or fruit smoothie after working out

by michelle on August 4, 2011

Hello luvs!

We have a new spicy savory green smoothie recipe to share.

Lori and I have been surprised how we are enjoying more hot, spicy foods lately.

Started with our spiced chia seed pudding,

Followed by some hot waterhorseradish sauerkrautsmoked jalapeno kraut,

And now…

Both Lori and I felt by having the jalapeno flavor in the smoothie really helped it be more savory. It was a little different at first but then we kept sipping on it. Lori struggled at first to get it down as she prefers sweet based smoothies. But did like the change.

As Lori mentioned yesterday, we are going to be playing around with our eats and workouts. We all know it is important to replenish properly after working out. For us, we usually would have our savory avocado green smoothies after working out.  We have been thinking about this because we are not seeing the results we want. We thought maybe it would be best if we have a small fruit based smoothie  (with a hemp seeds for protein) after working out  to get simple and complex carbs. And save our savory avocado smoothies for later in the day. Because we have learned it is not best to have a lot of fat immediately after working out.

Now this is just a skim of ideas on this topic. We have been referring back to Brendan’s Thrive book, which is full of more information on this.

So we are going to try this out and we will report if we find anything interesting. Some things we are going to be watching are like how our energy feels, does our recovery time get shorter, and do we feel our strength is getting better.

Twins Question: Have you had a jalapeno in a smoothie before? Do you like spicy, savory smoothies?  Any new, unique flavors you have added to a smoothie? Have you ever noticed a difference on when you ate something after working out?

I know this lady has enjoyed a jalapeno peach smoothie! YUM!

Have a great day!

Michelle

Kristina @ spabettie August 4, 2011 at 6:22 am

I love the idea of this one, too! I’ll have to try it, while I do like the natural sweet that comes from fruit, I really love a savory flavor, and a GREEN flavor! and then there’s the garlic… ;)

hope today is a great day <3

Pure2 August 4, 2011 at 6:51 am

Kristina, oh we have not tried garlic yet in them, baby steps for us ;)

Hannah August 4, 2011 at 6:57 am

I’ve been looking for more good, savory smoothies, but they’re surprisingly hard to come by. All the fruit ones just get so sweet after a while… Anyway, this looks like an excellent option!

Pure2 August 4, 2011 at 8:43 am

Thanks Hannah, yes we are becoming more savory girls and less sweet.

Michaela August 4, 2011 at 7:53 am

I like spicy savory smoothie it is like soup for me,sometimes I just blend cucumber tomato, garlic spice, kind of like gazpacho. Well with your post work out meal I agree no fat like avocado. I eat ssweet fruit smoothie like banana pear spinach in 45 minutes as soon as possible and hour after this smoothie Ihave protein pudding like sun warrior or vega.When I did not have sweet smoothie in 45 minutes max hour I needed rest day, now I do not need rest day and actually feel like to work out aganin in evening So for me it works me like miracle, try it. Fat are heavy to digest when body need glucose from workout, so it is not good idea to have have avocado imediatelly after it.

Pure2 August 4, 2011 at 8:46 am

Glad to hear this Michaela!! We are excited to try it out.

Heidi @ Food Doodles August 4, 2011 at 8:20 am

Wow, I love how bright green that is! I’ve never had a savory green smoothie before but I’m curious :D

astrorainfall August 4, 2011 at 8:32 am

Ooo I love spicy savoury green soups too… I have Brendan Brazier’s book Thrive too…It’s awesome…when I follow his recommendation on pre and post workout smoothies, I feel like I can perform well and then recover nicely as well, plus a couple of green juices can speed up getting rid of aching muscles.

Pure2 August 4, 2011 at 8:48 am

Agreed, we are not sure why sometimes we just do not stick to what he says in his book. It does work, maybe now we will ;)

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! August 4, 2011 at 9:31 am

I’ve actually never had a savory smoothie! For some reason I’d much rather chew my savory foods. And sweet ones, for that matter! I do notice that I have less digestion issues if I avoid the fats right after working out. I have a hard time noticing different results, and pinning causes and effects.

the delicate place August 4, 2011 at 9:43 am

i love the zing of ginger and prefer savory meals post workout. i always usually eat sweet potato and eggs or some meat from leftovers the previous night!

lindsay August 4, 2011 at 9:54 am

ooh I’d like that spice too! or cayenne! I like to focus on good carbs and little protein post workout then good fat later in the day. Helps with recovery. I know everyones bodies work differently though.

Mary (A Merry Life) August 4, 2011 at 10:12 am

Interesting! I’ll be honest – I’ve never had a savory smoothie. It sounds interesting though but I have a feeling I wouldn’t like it. I love spicy food but the idea of a spicy smoothie scares me a bit!

I’ve heard so many good things about Brendan Brazier’s book I will have to check it out finally.

Crysta August 4, 2011 at 10:42 am

I love Brendan’s Mango Jalapeno smoothie recipe in his thrive book, I know I’ll love this one too! :) Thanks for the recipe!

Lauren August 4, 2011 at 10:59 am

Wow, I just made one of these, and it totally hit the spot! I prefer savory over sweet smoothies, but never thought to put jalapeno in it, what a great idea!! perfect use for the jalapenos in my garden, which I had no idea what to do with, haha. added some fresh basil from the garden also… OMG SO good!!

Ela August 4, 2011 at 11:42 am

I was having pretty much only ‘savory’ smoothies until just recently, so it’s been a really nice change to have some fruit-based smoothies.

However, I’m also full of questions about what to eat after working out. I just posted recently that I get really confused what to do when I’m hungrier than I expect after a lot of exercise, and often if I eat a lot at once, I get a tummy ache. Would be so nice to know what works!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 4, 2011 at 11:57 am

I’ll admit, I am totally a sweet smoothie girl. Juices can be savory but smoothies I like them sweet :)

But then again, if you two were making me this one, I’d no doubt love it!

Ashley August 4, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I’m trying to figure out the best way to refuel as well! I was just reading somewhere about drinking the smoothie before working out to help with muscle soreness + stamina. So many opinions + reasearch to read! Good luck to you both! Oh…just did the Booty Firm Up bodyrock video…OH my gosh. Hardest one yet! I started just over a week ago and am already seeing results. I’ve done the workouts [different ones] about 5 times so far, mixed with lots of dog walking, biking around town + swimming once a week. Love it so far!

Pure2 August 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Ashley – I know so crazy all the different opinions and research on what to do and eat for workouts. We hope to try to document how we feel and what not, but we always seem to forget to write things down. Oh yes love the booty firm up, and soooooo happy to hear you are loving bodyrock ;) xoxo

Maipelo March 18, 2014 at 12:04 am

My husband and I have just setratd doing green juices. They are amazing and I thank Aranka for guiding me down the right path. Your recipes are great keep them coming.

kate August 4, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Im excited to see your results I usually do a protein shake post workout!

Laury @thefitnessdish August 5, 2011 at 7:11 am

Holy Moly!!!!

Looks amazing!!!

I’ve always wanted to make raw lasagne. I had a recipe for it but yours looks so much better. I am such a sucker for pesto!!!

Pure2 August 5, 2011 at 8:29 am

Laury we will have to come make some for you ;)

Victoria August 5, 2011 at 12:32 pm

The book, Nutrition and Athletic Performance by Dr Douglas Graham, really helped me understand how to refuel after workouts. I find that fruit after workouts shorten recovery the best. Check it out!

Pure2 August 5, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Awesome Victoria, thank you for sharing, we will check that book out.

Victoria August 5, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Here’s an article by him that addresses refueling: http://foodnsport.com/blog/articles/nutrition-and-athletic-recovery-part-1-of-2.php There are some other good ones on the site too. Enjoy! :)

Pure2 August 6, 2011 at 5:36 am

Thank you so much! We bought the book :)