Unbaked Mint Avocado Layered Chocolate Cake

by Lori and Michelle on August 26, 2011

Friday is here!! yay and we got some good news from our friend, her husband’s left eye opened a little and he responded to some commands yesterday with moving his fingers. He still has a long road ahead, but it is progress. Thank you again for your prayers.

Now time to celebrate with cake.

Today’s inspiration came from this picture we came across in a magazine.

Remember last Friday we shared our first attempt at this cake. This time around we made some changes to get more of what we wanted out of this layered cake. We really wanted the cake batter to be soft and moist. So decided to try walnuts to provide the cake with natural, healthy fat to give the cake a rich texture.

The result?

we think the pictures will speak for itself :)

Now this cake is for anyone who loves a little chocolate and mint together.

And anyone who loves their healthy fats, like we do. Plus this unbaked layered cake is full of Omega’s, vitamin K, potassium, and fiber! Now that is what we call a ‘perfect’ cake.

we ended up putting some of the avocado cream on top kinda like a avocado mint whip cream

mmmmmmm

Chocolate mint is seriously one of our favorite combos – check out some other favorite recipes of ours:

chocolate mint cake donuts

mac-n-mint cookie sandwich

carob mint crepe

mint chip chia seed pudding

mint avocado ice cream with brownie bites

mint avocado pudding

grasshopper pie

chocolate mint avocado sandwich

chocolate mint chip chia seed pudding

ummm, obsessed much? haha

what else can we make chocolate mint to add to our list?

Twins Question: do you like chocolate and mint together? what is your all time favorite flavor combo? can be sweet or savory?

And we just wanted to say thank you for all the sweet comments and emails in regards to our hormone post yesterday!

Check out our guest post over at Cleaning Eating Chelsey – we share our journey of gluten free eating.

Let’s eat cake!

till next time, xoxo

Lori and Michelle

Crysta August 26, 2011 at 8:37 am

So great to hear of your friends husband’s progress! That is huge! I love Averie’s raw peppermint patties and her vegan mint chocolate soft serve! Love the mint/chocolate combo, but seem to love chocolate, mint and coconut together just as much! I’ll be honest my all time favorite combination is beets and goat cheese, but I rarely ever eat it anymore. Its my birthday treat every year. This cake looks heavenly, love the color! I need to get more familiar with irish moss, so I can make this and your chocolate layer cake…YUM!

Pure2 August 26, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Thanks Crysta, goat cheese and beets used to be one of our favs too!

Jessie James August 26, 2011 at 8:37 am

um this looks incredible! I think I need to go to culinary school before I take on a challenge like this! ah looks amazing

lynn @ the actor's diet August 26, 2011 at 8:43 am

simply stunning, ladies!

kitarakaori August 26, 2011 at 8:58 am

I’m in heaven…thank you luvs!♥

Caitlin August 26, 2011 at 9:00 am

wow- amazing second try! this cake looks ABSOLUTELY amazing!!! much more beautiful than the inspirational magazine photo ;)

Pure2 August 26, 2011 at 1:48 pm

aww Caitlin you are soo sweet, thank you!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free August 26, 2011 at 9:04 am

ohmygosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is so incredibly gorgeous, and I ADORE chocolate mint!!! AHHHH!!! I am bookmarking this pronto and going to the store right now to pick up some avocados!!! YAY THANK YOU!!!!

(Sorry If I sound too over excited :D )

Pure2 August 26, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Alex you are too cute :) xoxo

Ricki August 26, 2011 at 9:26 am

Holy mint, Batman! This looks indescribably delicious. I’m also a huge fan of mint + chocolate–what a great way to enjoy them together! Plus it’s gorgeous to look at. :D

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) August 26, 2011 at 9:50 am

wow. that is beauuuutiful and sounds delicious! very impressed, great job ladies :)

Pure2 August 26, 2011 at 1:47 pm

thanks!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! August 26, 2011 at 10:03 am

chocolate goes well with almost anything in my book! And mint is one of my favorite things as well, so this is perfect. For those of us not as savvy in the world of raw foods, the awesome photography makes for wonderful eye candy :-)

Pure2 August 26, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Rachel so true chocolate goes with anything :)

Tamikko August 26, 2011 at 10:08 am

Congrats girls!!! What a beautiful spread, beautiful picts and an amazing recipe. I’m going to make this for my birthday in October :) thanks for sharing your recipe!

Stacy August 26, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Beautiful pictures! I guess that’s not when the cake looks so pretty and yummy! Is there something I could sub for the irish moss? The more I look at this though, the more I really want to make it. If there is no substitution then where’s a good place to purchase it. I haven’t checked the health food store here but I assume you know a place you know is quality. Thanks.

Pure2 August 26, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Stacy, you can replace the Irish moss with either coconut butter (the meat plus the oil). if you do not have that than you may use just coconut oil I would recommend doing just 1/2 cup oil total in the recipe, it might turn out a little harder filling when cold but when it warms up some it should be just fine. I hope this helps. Thanks!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 26, 2011 at 1:37 pm

That is just….stunning!!!! amazing job!

And I loved your guestie on Chelsey’s site!

Evan Thomas August 26, 2011 at 3:22 pm

This is pretty much a dream cake to me. If you hear a knock at the door, it’s me begging for cake.

Lisa August 26, 2011 at 3:38 pm

This looks great! I love choc and mint together…a lot :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 26, 2011 at 4:06 pm

You made that look SO easy! It looks great!

Emma (Emma+Jacob) August 26, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Great news about your friend’s husband! And the cake is genius! You know, coconut butter/oil is hard to find here in Manila, which is odd because we are aggressively exporting them!

Amira @hungrydancers August 27, 2011 at 12:21 am

This looks AMAZING! No words can explain how excited I am to make this for this up and coming week! yay! SO excited!

Casey Lorraine August 27, 2011 at 3:33 am

Ladies, this looks insanely wonderful! You are kitchen masters!!
I made myself a carob, avocado, spinach, mint, cinnamon smoothie this afternoon after I finished teaching a Juice and smoothie tasty party for clients. I didn’t make it for the class but man it was good! Will have to post soon :)

Pure2 August 27, 2011 at 4:36 am

Casey that smoothie sounds wonderful!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 27, 2011 at 6:04 am

These photos are absolutely breathtaking, and the dessert itself reminds me of my all-time favorite food: the mint chocolate sundae at Pure Food & Wine. Just thinking about it is making me want to go back to the city and brave the storm for it!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 27, 2011 at 6:33 am

Wow, that is beautiful! I love how you changed it to fit your dietary needs! You two are inspiring! I hope you have a great weekend!

Brittany August 27, 2011 at 2:13 pm

You ladies are always coming up with the best combinations. I LOVE mint chocolate so these cake photos are making me drool. :)

Stay safe this weekend!

The Delicate Place August 27, 2011 at 2:38 pm

holy crap those photos are gorgeous! it made me want to facedive into that cake! how about this…way too much work for moi but i’ll buy the ingredients and then you show me how it’s done haha. i think i’d want to eat the whole cake! is it rich or not so sweet?

Pure2 August 27, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Melissa, sounds good!! the cake actually was not sweet at all, which is how we are liking things lately.

Charissa August 27, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Out of this world! Loooove the photos! And no worries, the photos sure do speak for themselves.

They are saying…”I am delicious.” ;)

Lauren August 27, 2011 at 3:01 pm

This looks so good! And beautiful pics! Mint chocolate is my favorite combo, besides pb and chocolate! Actually, give me anything with chocolate! ;) ;);)

Ela August 27, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Chocolate and mint are just made for each other, and this one looks gorgeous-delicious.

Unfortunately, I’ve pretty much decided that chocolate isn’t worth it for me: I just don’t feel good when I eat it. So special occasions only, I guess–I had mint choc not-cheesecake for my bday, for ex… But mint and carob go great together too: it’s a totally different thing than chocolate, but at least it looks similar.

Kate August 27, 2011 at 6:55 pm

omg that loks amazing

(what runs) Lori August 28, 2011 at 7:01 am

Yep, I’d have to say that this is a total masterpiece. Incredibly beautiful and looks better than the one in the magazine.

I love making raw cakes! They’re fun and you get to be super creative and they taste amazing. This one looks and sounds AWESOME. I love mint and chocolate together!

(what runs) Lori August 28, 2011 at 7:02 am

Oh, and it’s really good to hear that there is some kind of progress with your friend’s husband! Good vibes, good thoughts!

amy August 28, 2011 at 11:37 am

okay that has to be one of the prettiest cakes i have ever seen ! im gonna have to try to replicate something, but without mint (idk why but im not a huge mint person, besides in gum). favorite combination of flavors ? weird but i love peanut butter and sea salt .. so yummy :D

Pure2 August 28, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Amy not weird at all, sounds wonderful

Alexis (hummusapien) August 28, 2011 at 1:07 pm

those pictures are BEAUTIFUL!! i would do anything for a bite of that right now :)

Jen August 29, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Yeah miko! Omg! Prayers answered.

Is this my birthday cake u r bringing to californa?!?!?!

Pure2 August 30, 2011 at 5:52 am

Well Joe is not in the clear yet, everyday is different.

Wish I could bring you cake, I am bringing other goodies ;)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) August 31, 2011 at 10:23 pm

came out of hiding temporarily to say: good god that reminds me of grasshopper pie of my childhood and I think I drooled a little on my chin just now :-)

Dina December 13, 2011 at 12:23 pm

i’d love to try it. great green color!
Dina recently posted..Le Parker Meridien Gingerbread ExtravaganzaMy Profile

Cara January 2, 2012 at 10:06 am

My goodness, is this just not the most creative use of avocados! The pictures are gorgeous and this cake sounds amazing. Bravo! xo
Cara recently posted..Gluten-free and Vegan Wheat Thins (and some positive words)My Profile

Lori and Michelle January 2, 2012 at 11:49 am

Thank you Cara! We love our avocados

Jenn January 2, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I absolutely LOVE chocolate mint!! Both flavors are amazing in their own rite, and when you pair them together it’s like the perfect marriage!

Tried making your avocado cream tonight…added a little too much spirulina, but it still taste good. Now I’m going to tackle the carob crepes!
Jenn recently posted..Pumpkin-Chocolate-Chip MacaroonsMy Profile

Amy January 22, 2012 at 9:29 am

Wow! This is so beautiful, and so delicious sounding! I love that it contains so much avocado for a rich texture and yet is healthy!

Lori and Michelle January 22, 2012 at 10:10 am

Thank you Amy!

Drea July 19, 2012 at 8:19 pm

What can I substitute the irish moss paste for? I can’t find it anywhere and want to make this this weekend for a friend’s party, so I ordered it online but it won’t be here in time.

Thank you!!

Lori and Michelle July 20, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Drea use soaked cashews for the irish moss.

Amanda October 6, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I can’t get Irish moss anywhere around here. Is there something else I can use as a replacement?

Lori and Michelle October 11, 2012 at 5:42 am

Amanda you can use cashews

Stacy August 26, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I do have coconut butter. Thanks! Can’t wait to make this.