what is and how to make irish moss

by Lori and Michelle on August 11, 2011

hello friends,

well today we have another how to and what is tutorial of one of our favorite ingredients – IRISH MOSS!

Do you know what Irish Moss is? Any guesses?

For those of you who do not know what irish moss is or how to use it in recipes we hope our post today sheds some light for you. And hopefully help you to not be so afraid of irish moss or any seaweed.

What is Irish moss?

It is a seaweed that grows in the rocky parts of the Atlantic coast of Europe and the Americas as well as parts of the Pacific. It has carrageenan in it which gives it thickening properties.

What do you use Irish moss for?

We typically make irish moss paste. And use the paste in recipes especially desserts. Though you can use it to make anything really, just have an open mind and the possibilities are endless.

Why would I want to use Irish Moss?

Because it is full of vitamins and minerals as well as B-Vitamins. It is a great nut replacement in recipes, therefore you can cut down on your nut intake but still get great results in your recipes.  A great alternative to gelatin!

Where can I buy it?

Amazon, One Lucky Duck, Raw Food World, and Natural Zing.

How do you make Irish moss paste?

check out the video to see Michelle making Irish moss paste.

Be patient when blending the irish moss, it takes a few minutes. *in our video we probably could have blended it longer and maybe a little bit more water to get a really smooth texture, but you get the idea you want a smooth texture, just keep playing with the water and blending and you will get there!

We did about 1/2 bag of irish moss soaked and rinsed to about 1 1/2 – 2 cups water. Irish moss was about 3 cups once it was soaked and rinsed.

Here are some recipes that we have used irish moss paste in:

Raw Grasshopper Pie

Chocolate Layered Cake

Twisted pumpkin pie

easy pumpkin chia pudding

We also sometimes throw in out smoothies or avocado puddings for more nutrition and body.

We absolutely love our irish moss paste! We know it may not be for everyone but wanted to share our love for it for those of you who are interested! We use our irish moss all the time, we are starting to play around with using it in recipes like raw cakes. It is great in smoothies, puddings, and most raw desserts!

We will start sharing more recipes that use irish moss so you can see what you really can do with it!

Have fun playing around with irish moss. The more you experiment with it the more you will love it and feel more comfortable using it. It really is easy to make and easy to use in recipes! For us it is worth the money! Some alternative or fancy ingredients may not be, but we feel irish moss is worth it!

Twins Question: Have you ever used irish moss before? Would you ever give it a try? What ‘special’ ingredient do you like using? Are you a fan of seaweed?

P2R twins

lindsay August 11, 2011 at 10:02 am

you two are so full of information. I love it. I want to give this a try, thanks!

Christine (The Raw Project) August 11, 2011 at 10:41 am

Perfect timing! I just bought a huge bag of it from Living Light that I need inspiration for. :-) I haven’t used it before, this will be my first experience with it. Thanks!

Pure2 August 11, 2011 at 10:47 am

your welcome Christine, have fun with it!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 11, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I’m Irish so I know all about it :) We usually call it carageen.

My mother uses it to make a tea which is great for a chesty cough – it really helps to clear out your lungs. Though I think I’d prefer it in a yummy dessert :)

Pure2 August 11, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Aine thanks for sharing that is so interesting! and oh yes desserts :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty August 11, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Interesting!! I’ve had recipes with it in it, but I had no idea how to do it myself – seems easy enough!!

Pure2 August 11, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Yes Jessica it is and you will learn to love to make it yourself :)

Krissy August 11, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I am SO happy you made this video/post – I have had a bag of irish moss in my cupboard for SO long but have been intimidated to use it :) How long does the paste last in the fridge or would you recommend putting it in the freezer right away if you don’t use it all?
Love you girlies! xo

Pure2 August 11, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Krissy we have heard 7 days in fridge, we normally do around that. If not we freeze in small containers so we can pull out what we need. have fun with it and let us know if there is anything else.

Meredith August 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I’ve been eagerly awaiting this post. I just got done with my first bag of Irish Moss and kind of gave up on it because I could never get it smooth enough. It was always a little gritty and would leave fibery chunks in whatever I put it in. Do you have any suggestions about how to get it that smooth with a regular blender. Just give it more time?

Pure2 August 11, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Yes Meredith more time, take little breaks and keep working it, and do it in small batches, maybe start with 1 cup moss to 1/2-3/4 cup water and go from there. just keep working it and it should get there, if it does not slowly add in more water! that should hopefully help.

Natasha August 11, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I buy irish moss and add it to dog food (I run a business) but I’ve never seen it in this form before. The one I get is ground,and looks similar to sea salt. Do you know if I can do the same type recipes with this form?

Pure2 August 11, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Natasha I think you have irish moss powder, we have never used that before, we are not familiar with how to use it in recipes. Sorry, I wish we could be more help.

Evan Thomas August 11, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Fascinating. I had irish moss in a raw pudding in England that I assumed was for color(it was literally bright green) but I guess it must have been for texture. Looks like you can make some amazing desserts with it(not like you don’t always make amazing desserts).

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather August 11, 2011 at 4:51 pm

We actually have dried Irish moss at home Jacob used in a beer recipe… Now i know more uses!

Julie Lynn August 11, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Thank you for sharing about Irish Moss. It’s something Livy has been after me to buy so that she can make some more raw desserts. Guess I’d better hop to it! :-)

Pure2 August 11, 2011 at 6:24 pm

your welcome!!

Laura August 14, 2011 at 10:29 am

Hey, I’ve been looking for Irish moss after I noticed it in a couple of your recipes but can’t find it anywhere? does it have to be ordered from the internet? I’ve checked a couple of health food stores and bulk foods but most haven’t heard of it. Can I just buy seaweed and do the above recipe?
Thanks for your help!

Pure2 August 14, 2011 at 11:09 am

Laura you have to purchase irish moss of the internet, it is not in stores yet. and no you get no use any seaweed, irish moss has different properties than other seaweeds. let me know if there is anything else.

RH October 18, 2011 at 7:49 am

Just came across this post and I love it, but I do have a question. In the video she mentions that you can freeze what you’re not able to use. Do you freeze it in paste form or do you freeze it after the hydrate & clean step?

Lori and Michelle October 18, 2011 at 9:10 am

you freeze as the final past form in glass jars.

Kate November 9, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Just received my Irish moss and a little freaked out by it. There is so much other “stuff” in it. Some of the pieces are green and brown. Do you keep those or just the yellowish color. It’s the same looking stuff bur different color. There is also some slimey other things, do you pick and disgard all of that? So excited to try it but a little grossed out.
Thanks!

Sarah December 10, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I don’t have access to it, even our health food stores don’t carry it and it’s cost prohibitive to buy online – is there a way to swap agar agar? I have the bars of it at home.
Sarah recently posted..Spicing Up the SeasonMy Profile

Kahu March 3, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Kia ora, After searching everywhere I could think of in New Zealand, I finally ordered some Irish Moss online but ‘cut and sifted’ turned out to be just that (: very tiny pieces, but not the powder. Do you know if it is possible to make the gel with it, or if not any suggestions of what I can do?? Thank you!

Lori and Michelle March 4, 2012 at 7:33 am

Kahu, soak the pieces like your would whole irish moss. and then rince, and blend with water as we did in our video. as long as it is not the powder it should still make a paste.

Kahu March 4, 2012 at 10:50 am

Thanks so much for your quick reply, will give it a go (:

jasmine March 20, 2012 at 8:49 am

Hi I searched online for raw Irish moss and amazon has it but in powder. Can the powder be used instead? If so, is it made the same way as shown on your video? Thanx for all your great recipes. I have to say this is my favorite blog for raw vegan recipes, not only do you provide great delicious healthy recipes but it is also very informative and educational. You guyz are the best! I am definitely hooked. Thanx again guyz!

Lori and Michelle March 20, 2012 at 9:01 am

Jasmine, unfortunately you can not use the powder instead of the true irish moss.
So glad you found our blog and enjoy it so much :) this makes us so happy!!!!

Mark August 18, 2012 at 11:32 am

Is there a substitute for the Irish Moss? I can not eat seaweed. My body has issues with carrageenan.

Lori and Michelle August 21, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Mark nuts are the best replacement for irish moss.

Dani September 30, 2012 at 3:08 am

Hi,
Can you please tell me if there is a substitute for this Irish Moss. I ask not because I am against this idea (its great) I simply live in a small village in Thailand so it is not exactly easy to gain access to this. Thank you

Lori and Michelle October 2, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Dani cashews!

Dani October 2, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Thank you. Would I use the same amount of cashews (I assume ground) as the Irish Moss that is required?

paul whynot July 31, 2013 at 4:15 am

I live on the east coast of Nova Scotia where irish moss grows in abundance.Years ago my grandmother would gather irish moss and cook it in a pot with milk then add vanilla and sugar to make a delicious pudding. Would you know how to prepare the moss to make it.