good morning friends!
feeling a little tired this morning as I had to take Michelle to the airport at 4:30am (have a safe trip sis). now I am getting things done here before I too head out of town to visit Gary. looks like the twins are little travelers this weekend.
but before we pack up for a few days we had to use up some ingredients before leaving. we had some canned pumpkin (that we already opened) and eggs to use up…so we got to thinking of what we felt like making with these ingredients.
we browsed our pumpkin recipes and decided to re-make our gluten-free low-sugar pumpkin squares. we followed the recipe but did make some changes to it. we love re-making recipes for some reason
and this time around instead of making them as squares we made them as muffins!
we were delighted in how these pumpkin muffins turned out! we tried again keeping it grain-free with using amaranth flour and buckwheat groats. and kept it low-sugar with using xylitol as our sugar. this recipe is also easy to make vegan – just follow our original recipe or use the substitutions listed below.
Pure2raw recipe: Gluten & Grain Free Pumpkin Muffins (based off our pumpkin squares with lucuma cashew frosting)
prep-time: 5 minutes
bake-time: 20-25 minutes
tools needed: muffin pan, bowl, spatula
- 1/3 cup amaranth flour
- 1/3 cup buckwheat whole groats ground into flour
- 1/3 cup arrowroot
- 2 tablespoon flax meal
- 3/4 tsp soda
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/3 cup xylitol (may use any sugar you like)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 local eggs (may use 2 flax gels or 1/2 cup yogurt)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (may use any oil or just omit this)
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Place all dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk together.
In another bowl add in your wet ingredients and sugar. Stir together.
Add in dry ingredients and mix till combined.
Scoop batter into muffin liners and bake for about 20-25 minutes. ours bake for about 21-22 minutes.
these grain-free muffins are tender and have a soft crumb to them. yum
the pumpkin flavor really shined through these muffins and love the hint of cardamom spice in there.
now who doesn’t love a good pumpkin muffin?
I know we love them
now these pumpkin muffins just need the cashew lucuma frosting on top. not sure why we did not think of adding that. oh next time.
I think Michelle and I are ready for fall! I have been seeing some other pumpkin goodies and drinks showing up on other blogs so looks like many of us are ready.
- for the flours – it is 1 cup total flour so feel free to use 1 cup of any gluten-free flour blend or spelt flour, or flours of choice.
- for the xylitol – may use any sugar of choice – evaporated cane juice, coconut sugar, sucanat. if you want to use a liquid sweetener like agave, maple or honey I would recommend omitting the tablespoon of coconut oil, and it may need to bake a little longer.
- for eggs – may use 2 flax gels or 1/2 cup yogurt or applesauce to replace the eggs.
Now go make yourself these delicious pumpkin muffins and share with loved ones this weekend. or keep them all to yourself like we did
Twins Question: What do like most about fall? What are you most excited for this fall season? Any one else ready for lots and lots of pumpkin? Before you head out of town do you try to use up ingredients?
till next time,