{grain-free} pumpkin muffins

by Lori and Michelle on September 2, 2011

good morning friends!

feeling a little tired this morning as I had to take Michelle to the airport at 4:30am (have a safe trip sis). now I am getting things done here before I too head out of town to visit Gary.  looks like the twins are little travelers this weekend.

but before we pack up for a few days we had to use up some ingredients before leaving. we had some canned pumpkin (that we already opened) and eggs to use up…so we got to thinking of what we felt like making with these ingredients.

we browsed our pumpkin recipes and decided to re-make our gluten-free low-sugar pumpkin squares. we followed the recipe but did make some changes to it. we love re-making recipes for some reason

and this time around instead of making them as squares we made them as muffins!

we were delighted in how these pumpkin muffins turned out! we tried again keeping it grain-free with using amaranth flour and buckwheat groats. and kept it low-sugar with using xylitol as our sugar. this recipe is also easy to make vegan – just follow our original recipe or use the substitutions listed below.

these grain-free muffins are tender and have a soft crumb to them. yum

the pumpkin flavor really shined through these muffins and love the hint of cardamom spice in there.

now who doesn’t love a good pumpkin muffin?

I know we love them

now these pumpkin muffins just need the cashew lucuma frosting on top. not sure why we did not think of adding that. oh next time.

I think Michelle and I are ready for fall! I have been seeing some other pumpkin goodies and drinks showing up on other blogs so looks like many of us are ready.

Substitutions:

• for the flours – it is 1 cup total flour so feel free to use 1 cup of any gluten-free flour blend or spelt flour, or flours of choice.
  • for the xylitol – may use any sugar of choice – evaporated cane juice, coconut sugar, sucanat. if you want to use a liquid sweetener like agave, maple or honey I would recommend omitting the tablespoon of coconut oil, and it may need to bake a little longer.
  • for eggs – may use 2 flax gels or 1/2 cup yogurt or applesauce to replace the eggs.

Now go make yourself these delicious pumpkin muffins and share with loved ones this weekend. or keep them all to yourself like we did ;)

Twins Question: What do like most about fall? What are you most excited for this fall season? Any one else ready for lots and lots of pumpkin? Before you head out of town do you try to use up ingredients?

Lori

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free September 2, 2011 at 7:39 am

Ohmygosh-I love it! They are so cute and adorable :D Bet they would taste fabulous with coconut cream!

Pure2 September 2, 2011 at 9:25 am

thanks Alex and yes we wish we did some cream on top – yum

natalie (the sweets life) September 2, 2011 at 8:02 am

yum!! i’m ready for fall foods (esp pumpkin!) but not fall temperatures. I’ll keep the 80s please :)

Pure2 September 2, 2011 at 9:26 am

Natalie, I am actually looking forward to fall temperatures – I am thinking 70s haha

Tamikko September 2, 2011 at 8:04 am

I’m so excited for fall, and pumpkin anything is my favourite. Thanks for the recipe. I’m going to try it this weekend. Looks delish!

Pure2 September 2, 2011 at 9:26 am

Thanks Tamikko

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! September 2, 2011 at 8:22 am

I’m ready for fall, because my favorite flavors are now in season! Pumpkin especially :-)

Pure2 September 2, 2011 at 9:26 am

Same here Rachel, can never have too much pumpkin ;)

Lisa September 2, 2011 at 8:49 am

Pumpkin is definitely one of my fave parts of fall…so are apples! In NY, I’m in the middle of wine country and apple country…so the smells are awesome!
I intend to use food before I travel, but it often doesn’t happen (then I just chuck it once I get home and remember that I left it!).

Pure2 September 2, 2011 at 9:27 am

Lisa I am so ready for local fresh apples!!! YUM

Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 2, 2011 at 9:10 am

how bad would it be if I buttered that muffin?

Pure2 September 2, 2011 at 9:27 am

Cat not bad at all :)

lindsay September 2, 2011 at 9:12 am

those muffins look perfect. Grain free and all. I am excited to see what other baked goodies you all come up with this fall!

Pure2 September 2, 2011 at 9:27 am

thanks Lindsay xoxo

GetSkinnyGoVegan September 2, 2011 at 9:47 am

they look great!

Charissa September 2, 2011 at 9:59 am

Salivating over these! A cozy, healthy muffin is just what I want right now!!!

Kate @ Iron Nourishment September 2, 2011 at 10:11 am

The excitement of making and eating lots of pumpkin and apple recipes is what helps me transition to fall and not be so sad to say goodbye to warm and long summer days. Excited to try these! Thanks for posting!

Pure2 September 2, 2011 at 10:19 am

agreed kate! love apples and pumpkin :)

Evan Thomas September 2, 2011 at 10:42 am

Grain-free muffins are definitely on the list of things to make soon. I bet these would be great with almond flour for a nutty bite! Going to try that.

Pure2 September 2, 2011 at 11:11 am

Evan yes that sounds wonderful as well!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables September 2, 2011 at 10:49 am

One of my good friends is a pumpkin-holic so she’d probably FLIP if I made her these muffins! I think I’m going to have to. Especially because of my other good friends can’t have gluten!

Ela September 2, 2011 at 11:06 am

Safe travels to you both!
Cardamom is my favorite ever.

So you consider amaranth not a grain? Cool–I’m loving my amaranth right now…
I love redoing recipes too, tweaking them different ways.
When you posted those original pumpkin bars, I made yam bars that were similar in tribute ;)

Pure2 September 2, 2011 at 11:13 am

Ela = cardamon is our favorite too! YUM yes we have found a site that sound amaranth as a not a grain so we are going with that.

Nikki FreshYoung Coconut September 2, 2011 at 11:59 am

Fall! Love this time of year. My favorite Fall flavors are pumpkin and apple and anything full of spice. I’m giddy just thinking about it. Your muffins look great :)

Pure2 September 2, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Nikki we are giddy too xoxo

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing September 2, 2011 at 12:14 pm

This looks so good! An excellent way to christen the season :) I’m so excited for autumn to be in full swing — pumpkin, cinnamon, squash, kale!

Pure2 September 2, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Katie we are excited for all the winter squashes too :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 2, 2011 at 12:48 pm

the recipe is lovely but the photography..omg!!! it’s magazine worthy!!

do you use LR or PS for your editing?

And to put the “words” or “writing” on the pic, Piknic or another program?

Seriously perhaps your best photos…ever! Hard to pick but these are amazing!

Pure2 September 2, 2011 at 1:05 pm

wow Averie thank you so much!!!! We use PS for editing photos and Illustrator to do the fun stuff ;) I was unsure about the photos at first, but glad that they turned out! thanks again for the sweet compliment, we are slowing learning the camera and editing haha it is a journey :)

Erica September 2, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Safe travels to you both!! These look perfect- pumpkin baked goods are amazing. im not a huge fan of chilly weather, but i love apples and pumpkin

Lindsay@bikingbeforebed September 2, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I love the addition of cardamom. Its one of those spices that needs to be used more often!

Pure2 September 3, 2011 at 2:03 am

Lindsay we just love cardamom, use it all the time ;)

Kristine September 3, 2011 at 6:34 am

Wow these look really good! Favorite thing about fall— being all comfy in sweaters and jackets again…. and cuddling with my blanket again after a long hot summer of sleeping on top of the bed! ha! definitely excited for some pumpkin, and acorn, and kabocha back in my life, too!

Laura (On the Threshold of Greatness) September 3, 2011 at 9:18 am

These look so delicious! I adore all things pumpkin and am SO ready for fall to be here already. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 3, 2011 at 11:53 am

These look beautiful! I LOVE pumpkin muffins! I am so ready for fall! I need my pumpkin fix soon!

janetha September 7, 2011 at 11:46 am

Thank you for this great recipe! They look amazing, ladies.

Lea @ Healthy Coconut September 15, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I love all your pictures of the pumpkin. It reminds me of the theme for my cousins wedding. She did the black and white background.

I would love to make these but will need to substitute the flour somehow with blanched almond meal.

Stephanie April 15, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Made these today (with cinnamon and cardamom!) It was my first time trying arrowroot, and I was surprised by the texture of the final product! As always, thank you for the recipe!!
Stephanie recently posted..Stem Cell TalksMy Profile

Daniela May 8, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Loved the pics, and decided to try them today. I actually had all the ingredients at home! I got to tell you that they are delicious! Mine came out of oven looking like little brioches. Super moist, and fragrant too. Just enough sugar, so that you can have them with jam, honey, butter, or nothing at all. Next time I will add some cinnamon or nutmeg instead of cardamom, and see how it goes. Have you tried this recipe with bananas? I wonder how it would taste….
Well, thanks the fabulous and simple recipe.
Can’t wait for my husband to try them.
Daniela.

Lori and Michelle May 8, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Daniela we have not tried bananas, but assume it work. Glad you enjoyed the recipe!

Blue September 27, 2011 at 11:25 am

No, amaranth is definitely a grain (though the leaves and roots are also eaten), as is buckwheat. Both contain the same types of anti-nutrients (phytates, tannins, protease inhibitors, etc.) as other grains.

Lori and Michelle September 27, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Thanks Blue but according to the grain free website they are not listened as grains. Understand about the anti-nutrients, we will look more into it.