no stevia avocado pudding

by Lori and Michelle on September 14, 2011

One thing that was highly recommended on Diet Wise Elimination diet was no sugar and even sugar substitutes!

So yesterday was the first day we had no stevia!!  gasp

It has been a hard breakup for us because we love our stevia, but we have been enjoying fruit again when we need something sweet.

We created our first no stevia avocado pudding. Avocado pudding is something we love to eat almost daily, so making it non sweet was a challenge. but it was a challenge we were happy to figure out

Plus we did not add our favorite ingredient to our puddings sunflower lecithin, we kept it simple.

The carob and mint really helped with flavor and being non sweet. The cucumber was added just for water, could always do a little water instead.

We created this recipe because we were craving something “dessert-like” and this is what we came up created while still following our food elimination plan. To even our surprise it was not that bad. Knowing ahead of time that it was not going to be sweet helped :) There was a slight hint of mint with a little carob but not over powering. A fairly simple creamy pudding.

We are ending day two of our food elimination diet and are proud that we have been able to say no to things. We both are feeling tired, foggy head, etc we know it might be some detox symptoms as well as withdrawal from caffeine and sugar.  Our spirits are still up! We keep reminding ourselves why we are doing this – to feel better! We know it will happen soon

Twins Question: Any good movie recommendations? What is your all time favorite movie that you could watch over and over again?

L&M

Megan @ The Detoxinista September 14, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Wow, eliminating stevia is tough!! Glad you enjoyed your pudding without it, though. ;)

There are so many movies I love, it’s hard to pick one to recommend! We rented “Something Borrowed” which was great, and “Warrior” is out in the theaters now, which is also good!

Pure2 September 14, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Megan oh yes it is hard to give up our stevia! somehow we are doing it haha

Shay September 14, 2011 at 2:58 pm

MMMmmmm looks delicious! I love a green pudding. I never would have thought to make avocado pudding, so thanks for the inspiration! A movie I have literally watched 8 times and will watch more in the future is “The Illusionist.” Every time I watch it, I pick up more subtle details and clues. Hands-down, it’s my favorite!

Pure2 September 14, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Shay oh that is a good movie!!

Tamikko September 14, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I will definitely try that recipe. I love chocolate mint. I’m a huge movie lover so I have tonnes of movies I watch over and over. Lord of the Rings, Good Will Hunting, What Dreams May Come, The Usual Suspects, Titanic, About a Boy, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Dead Poets Society, Shawshank Redemption. I could go on and on :)

Pure2 September 14, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Tamikko all those movies are great! we are big Lord of Rings fans!!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 14, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I’m not the biggest Stevie fan, so this is right up my alley! Glad you girls are doing so good with your new diet.

I’m drinking less caffeine and can definitely relate with the foggy head. It’ll get better though! At least I hope that for all of us ;)

Pure2 September 14, 2011 at 5:15 pm

haha Heather hope so ;) good luck with yours!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! September 14, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I can’t even imagine detoxing from sugar and caffeine, I would go crazy! I would need some major relaxing and stress-free time during the elimination bit.
favorite movies? hm, anything really nerdy or effect-heavy :-D

Eden September 14, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Aww, I’m sorry your feeling crappy. I know I could never do that elimination thing cause with my history of eating disorders, I know that will pretty much get me in hot ED water.

I’m all about the “addition diet”. Add ons all the way!

Movies? I havent seen many lately since being in europe. I can tell you a bunch of ones to netflix though!

The Delicate Place September 14, 2011 at 4:29 pm

my fave movie to watch over and over is ‘amelie’ honestly, when i gave up stevia it was difficult but i started feeling much better after 2 days. it really was screwing with my digestion!

Ashley September 14, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Good luck to you both! Have you ever included a banana your avocado pudding, for sweetness? It’s quite tasty. :) Maybe a carob-banana or cocoa-banana combo…mmm

Pure2 September 14, 2011 at 5:16 pm

yes Ashley we have done the banana addition before it yes it is very tasty!!

Christine (The Raw Project) September 14, 2011 at 6:25 pm

This looks wonderful, I need to try your avocado pudding! Good luck on reducing sweets, something I need to try while dealing with so much stress.

Callie {Rawxy} September 14, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I started cutting back on the stevia a few months ago – just to sort of train my taste buds to eat less sweet things (ha)… And sure enough, it has worked! Although at times, I still love me some stevia :)

Pure2 September 14, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Callie we feel the exact same way!!

Emily September 14, 2011 at 8:15 pm

That’s awesome. I love you’re doing this detox thing. I really need to to the same thing. I’ve been eating waayyy too much sugar lately. :(

carrie September 14, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I just started using stevia to help reduce the sugars in my diet, but cant get used to the chemically taste. Didn’t know it could be causing digestive issues ( oh these never ending issues :) ). Your avocado puddings are all so yummy and combos I would think up myself. Thank you for sharing and looking forward to the updates on this journey! I’m going to check out the book right now!

Hannah September 15, 2011 at 3:09 am

Sounds fabulous, and good luck with cutting out sugar! I think I’d collapse into a tantrum if I had to live without sugar :P I was wondering whether you’ve tried almond extract? It always tricks my mind into thinking whatever I’ve put it in is sweeter than it is :P

Liz @ IHeartVegetables September 15, 2011 at 8:13 am

I loooove avocados. If I ever have any left, I’m totally going to make this. But don’t count on it, because I’m an avocado monster and they don’t last long around me ;) hehe

Ela September 16, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I love how you’re finding tricks, both food related and not, to try something different and focus on what you can rather than can’t have.

I’m not a great movie person but I’m trying to watch more. I loved “Inception.” Also “Philadelphia.”
Funny movies are always a good plan too.
Ela recently posted.."Go go go" versus the Still Center; Getting House in OrderMy Profile

Holland November 18, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Just curious: Is stevia bad for you? I LOVE sweets, but have cut out sugar and replaced everything with stevia or honey. I only eat it when I am super filled with crave.

Lori and Michelle November 21, 2012 at 9:54 am

Stevia is not bad for you.

Jane January 13, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Hi, I was just wondering why you would have to remove stevia? I thought it was the only natural and zero calorie sweetener with no bad effects or effects on your blood sugar — I was just wondering if there is something bad about it that made you two feel like you can’t have it?

Lori and Michelle January 25, 2013 at 11:58 am

Jane we love stevia and still use it, we only took it out during this cleanse.