photography settings

by Lori and Michelle on September 17, 2011

Thanks everyone who has provided us with some great feedback on our header. We are still playing around with it, but did want to ask do like the navigation bar above or below the header???

Thanks in advance.

Okay now onto more photography tips.  We are not really sure the best way to present tips, so if you have something specific you want us to cover we will :)

These first set of photos were taken midday, not too sunny out, and next to the window. We liked the shadows created in these pictures, so we worked with them.  And all the pictures were taken on our Micro lens and with no tripod.

First photo stats:

Focal length: 85 mm

Shutter speed: 1/250

F-stop: 3.5

ISO: 250

Edit in the RAW format in photoshop – Adjusted the exposure and clarity, and when in photoshop added a soft light layer

Second photo stats:

Focal length: 85 mm

Shutter speed: 1/250

F-stop: 3.5

ISO: 360

Edit in the RAW format in photoshop – Adjusted the exposure and clarity

On our Nikon camera we had it on the A – Aperture setting. Under the menu bottom changed the white balance to be direct sunlight, as the sun was coming through the window.

Aperture is the opening which light travels.  It allows us to control what we want in focus and what we want blurred. As you can see in these two photos, the background is blurred.

This second photo is similar to first photo just changed the ISO, which controls the graininess of the photo. The lower the number the less sensitive your camera is to light and the finer the grain.  The first photo looks a little more clear, by having a lower ISO setting.

One thing we do is change the settings for our photos, we normally do about 2-3 different setting per photo shoot. It depends on what time of day, where the sun is, and what we are shooting. As some foods are easier to photograph than others.

Third photo stats:

Focal length: 85 mm

Shutter speed: 1/250

F-stop: 3.5

ISO: 220

Edit in the RAW format in photoshop – Adjusted the exposure and clarity.

The sun was coming in from the front, we took the picture behind, we wanted  shadows. We liked the depth it gives the photo.  Sunlight is a big thing in photos, as many of you know.  Play around where you stand when you take photos. Play around with shadows, sometimes they work and sometimes they do not.

On our Nikon camera they have different settings we can use, some are pre-set.  There are automatic exposure modes and advanced exposure settings. We use both. The two automatic modes we use a lot is the macro setting (flower symbol) and no flash (we use when we do not have the best light).

Source – for more information on these settings.

These next set of photos were taken at 1:45pm, natural light through the window (which most of our photos are)

Photo stats:

No Flash setting

Focal length: 85 mm

Shutter speed: 1/125

F-stop: 4

ISO: 200

Edit in the RAW format in photoshop – Adjusted the exposure and clarity.

Photo stats:

No Flash setting

Focal length: 85 mm

Shutter speed: 1/125

F-stop: 4

ISO: 200

Edit in the RAW format in photoshop – Adjusted the exposure and clarity.

Same setting as picture above, just a different angle. Again we liked the shadows.

Photo Stats:

Macro setting

Focal length: 85 mm

Shutter speed: 1/125

F-stop: 5.6

ISO: 200

Edit in the RAW format in photoshop – Adjusted the exposure and clarity.

The Macro setting we use when we want close up. We are still learning this setting, as sometimes our photos are not in focus.

Trail and error. We take A LOT of photos!

Twins Question: Which photo do you find the best? What one is more focused? What is your favorite composition?

And we want to say congratulations to a fellow Charlotte blog friend who is now a mother to a beautiful little girl! Congrats Brittany!!!

Also, we have a fun night with some more Charlotte bloggers in honor of Nicole’s bachelorette party.

Have a great Saturday!

P2R twins

whitney September 17, 2011 at 9:32 am

It’s good to know that we have the same camera! Now I can force myself that it is possible to take lovely photos like you two! :)

Whitney

Lori and Michelle September 17, 2011 at 10:52 am

Awesome Whitney! and yes you can do it!!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 17, 2011 at 10:00 am

WOAH! I literally pressed reload on the page and the header changed before my eyes! I LOVE the new one– looks great girls :)

I kind of like the nav bar above the header because there’s font at the bottom of the image already. Just my two cents!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Sleepy WeepyMy Profile

Lori and Michelle September 17, 2011 at 10:52 am

Thank you Brittany!

Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy September 17, 2011 at 10:03 am

This was such an interesting post to read! :) Your photos are beautiful!
Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Stove Top OatsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle September 17, 2011 at 10:52 am

Why thanks Savannah!!

Molly September 17, 2011 at 10:55 am

LOVE the new header!
Molly recently posted..Best Sushi EVER!My Profile

Lori and Michelle September 17, 2011 at 2:20 pm

thanks Molly!!

Kristina @ spabettie September 17, 2011 at 2:19 pm

your photos are always stunning – I love seeing the settings you are using for each.

I LOVE the new header and design, with the navigation choices above – below has some clean white space and it all looks fantastic!
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..more favorite thingsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle September 17, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Thanks Kristina!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 17, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I love this post!!!!!!!!!

I love knowing what you do, settings, etc. No two situations are duplicates but it’s always nice to know what people use, do, and their overall approach.

I shoot soooo many pics when I know I am going to blog about a recipe. I try to shoot no more than 3-4 at any one setting, angle, position.

I change things like my f/stop (usually from about a 3.5 to a 5.0), change my ISO, change how tight/loose I am cropping the shot, change my camera position from horiz/vertical, move my props around…just always changing something b/c you never know what it’s going to look like til you get it up on the screen and sometimes the things i think are gonna suck…end up being my fave pics.

Your photography has come SO FAR!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga recently posted..SaturdayMy Profile

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 17, 2011 at 4:41 pm

BTW, I noticed you use an 85mm f/3.5 nikon

I have been thinking of getting an 85mm for my canon

there is one that’s an f/1.2 that’s like….ummmm 2 grand!

and another one that’s an f/1.8 that I am also toying with, about $500ish I think

Just wondering if you love the 85mm length b/c I currently use a zoom lens and want to buy a prime lens b/c the clarity will be better on the pics…
Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga recently posted..SaturdayMy Profile

Lori and Michelle September 18, 2011 at 8:16 am

Averie – love 85mm lens, use it the most. I want to get more lens too but so expensive :(

GetSkinnyGoVegan September 17, 2011 at 6:06 pm

below may be easier to see? but whatever you do will be lovely and will work great!! it’s just whatever you get used to!
GetSkinnyGoVegan recently posted..Weiner Woes. Smaller Shorter Schlongs may be caused by Eating Cocks.My Profile

caroline September 18, 2011 at 7:48 am

can i say i like both above and below for the navigators??

Gena September 18, 2011 at 9:08 am

Still need to figure out how the heck to take a decent food photo! Great post.
Gena recently posted..Chilled Plum Soup with Cashew CreamMy Profile

(what runs) Lori September 20, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Great info! I need it. I liked the very first photo and the third photo. Mostly because I liked the balance of the entire composition and how much was blurred.

It takes a lot of practice to get great pictures and definitely trial and error. Your photos do look amazing. I’m sure that having a micro lens helps big time. Not including raw talent by you two girl!
(what runs) Lori recently posted..Cleaning, Cleansing, and Plant-Based Recipe IdeasMy Profile

Lori and Michelle September 20, 2011 at 2:34 pm

thanks Lori! you are so sweet!

Drew @Just Good Chocolate September 29, 2011 at 9:32 am

I liked the 1st photo the best. I also have a Nikon(D90) and these are some useful tips for when we’re in the production kitchen.

Thanks for sharing!