post workout smoothie recipe

by lori on September 21, 2011

hello friends,

do you remember Michelle’s love of pirates post? you may have seen a smoothie that was pictured in that post.

well today I am going to share that recipe because it was quite tasty and satisfying.

Michelle and I enjoyed this smoothie after our workout earlier this week. in this smoothie we used swiss chard as our green, if you do not have swiss chard please feel free to use any green of your choice. I promise you do not taste the swiss chard in there!

why we use swiss chard in smoothie? well we always try to get one dark leafy green or herb to help alkaline the body after an intense workout and a little bit of protein.

perfect smoothie after a sweaty workout. a little tart. a little sweet. full of powerful nutrients to help our bodies recover after our workout.

you may use hemp protein or any protein powder of your liking with this smoothie. we just like using the real hemp seeds better than protein powders all the time. a little easier on our stomachs and to us a little less processed.

Twins Question: Do you like drinking shakes or smoothies after your workouts?

Raspberries: yay or nay?

Swiss chard: yay or nay?

Lori

Anna @ On Anna's Plate September 21, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Yum…what a delicious way to recover :-)
Anna @ On Anna’s Plate recently posted..Spilling the Beans…Finally!My Profile

Ali Seiter September 21, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Mmm, this smoothie looks wonderful! I adore using frozen figs in smoothies–I’ve found that they work especially well with the addition of carob powder. This recipe is also perfect because I just ran out of frozen bananas which are usually a must in my smoothies. Thanks for sharing!
Ali Seiter recently posted..Grilled Vegetable PanzanellaMy Profile

Lori and Michelle September 21, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Ali carob and figs – yum!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 21, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I love smoothies after a workout! One of my favorite ways to get in my protein ;)

And adding figs sounds like a great idea! I actually just tried them for the first time a few weeks ago and fell in love <3
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..All Dressed Up With Nowhere To GoMy Profile

Lori and Michelle September 21, 2011 at 3:59 pm

yay Brittany so glad you loved them as much as we do!

Krissy September 21, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Yum sounds like an amazing way to recover from a great workout! I actually do like swiss chard but don’t often buy it – I really like steaming it and topping it with a bit of Braggs! Think I’ll have to add it to my next grocery list!

Charissa September 21, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Yup! Shakes all the time after workouts…and yay to swiss chard and the berries! All the way, baby!
Charissa recently posted..On-the-Go Trail MixMy Profile

Laury @thefitnessdish September 21, 2011 at 7:49 pm

this recipe is RIGHT up my alley! I am loving figs and hemp seeds in my smoothies….ad adding raspberries sounds incredible!
Laury @thefitnessdish recently posted..Tell Me Your….My Profile

Alexia @ NamasteYoga September 22, 2011 at 12:34 am

I never added figs to my smoothies before. It’s quite hard to find them where I live right now- I guess I could use dried figs too!? Its looks so yummy that I will have to try to find some figs somewhere… :) thanks for sharing
Alexia @ NamasteYoga recently posted..Lentil salad & scallopsMy Profile

Alisa Fleming September 22, 2011 at 8:14 am

Oh yum. I’m beginning to think that I need to stock up on figs next season!
Alisa Fleming recently posted..Giveaway: Organic Rudi’s Bread & Sandwich BoxesMy Profile

Ela September 22, 2011 at 10:40 am

Sounds delicious! We grew so much chard this year–I’ve been eating it mostly steamed but love it in smoothies too. Raspbs and figs–great combination!
Ela recently posted..Termination Dust and Eggplant-Chickpea StewMy Profile

Lindsay @CookVeganLover September 22, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Do you like drinking shakes or smoothies after your workouts? – I like too but I don’t often enough. This sounds great and I’m looking forward to trying it.

Raspberries: yay or nay? YAY

Swiss chard: yay or nay? Meh? haha sometimes I like it and sometimes I don’t.
Lindsay @CookVeganLover recently posted..Slowly Getting Back…My Profile