what camera we use for photos

by Lori and Michelle on September 14, 2011

We are finally getting around to doing our first photography posts  :)

We thought starting at the beginning would be a good place to start.

What camera do we use?

When we first start blogging we used a canon point and shoot.

Last October is when we got a DSLR camera – Nikon D3000.

Of all the very nice Nikon digital cameras this one was the most economical that we could afford.

Lens – We have two camera lenses -

AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens

AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR lens

And then of course we use our iphones a lot!!! most of our non-food/recipes pictures are taken with our phones.

Since we are not professional photographers, this camera is great for beginners. It is easy to use and understand.

What other equipment do we use?

Tripod – we use this maybe once a month, haha, really prefer being free style when we take photos

What photo editing program do we use?

Adobe Photoshop CS5 – we did not get this program till this past February. Took us awhile to learn, and we still have a lot to learn.

We will share more on our props and where we take our photos in another post.

Twins Question: What camera do you have? Why did you pick that camera? Do you use any special equipment – tripod? lightbox? Do you edit your photos?

P2R twins

Erica September 14, 2011 at 7:07 am

Great post! I soooo need to get a decent camera- my pictures look like poo :)

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 14, 2011 at 7:07 am

Yey for Canon point & shoots! I still use mine, but would love to get a DSLR one day. How long did you guys go with the blog before taking the plunge?

Pure2 September 14, 2011 at 7:47 am

Brittany we have had the DSLR camera for over a year now, and we blogged for about a year before we got one

lynn @ the actor's diet September 14, 2011 at 8:17 am

i love my canon s95! it’s quiet, small, and takes great pix in low light

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 14, 2011 at 8:36 am

I wish I had a camera like that!! Right now I’m using a point and shoot… And by right noun mean from the beginning. I’m just learning how to use Photoshop. Luckily the hubs is a pro and is teaching me.

Pure2 September 14, 2011 at 9:17 am

Heather that is nice to have help to learn photoshop, our older sister is a wiz at it too but she is so busy that she is not always there to help LOL so we are learning on our own!

Kristina @ spabettie September 14, 2011 at 10:46 am

YAY for Nikon! (I know one is not better than another, but Nikons sightings are rare!) :D

I have a Nikon D300 and a backup D40 – while I love both for different reasons, I mainly use the 300. I DO have a tripod and I love it, BUT… I used to be SO steady and since using the tripod more I am not! I have been going without about 1/2 the time lately, to get my steady hand back. I don’t have a light box, but do have lighting… I am not looking forward to having to start using again as we lose the later daylight :( I so prefer natural light and have not used my lighting since last winter. no editing software for me – I crop and do basic editing in iPhoto.

my phone camera takes surprisingly good quality photos too! :)

Pure2 September 14, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Yes Kristina your photos amazing!!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers September 14, 2011 at 11:54 am

Thanks for the info. I’d love to get one of those. Maybe that will be on my Christmas list…

Laury @thefitnessdish September 14, 2011 at 12:03 pm

looking forward to the next post on props etc!

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well. September 14, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I have a D3000 as well! I picked it for the price (got it on eBay from Cameta Auctions!) and the ease of use. I found the Nikons to be much more user-friendly than the Canons. I edit my photos using iPhoto on my Mac. It’s not always fancy like Photoshop, but it does the basics to make the photos pop!

Pure2 September 14, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Kristin we started with iphoto and yes it does the job!! it was great starter for us before photoshop!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 15, 2011 at 5:36 am

Love this post.
I have a Canon 5D Mark II that I upgraded from the Rebel T2i.

Shooting with a 24-70mm f/2.8 Canon L glass lens. But want 3 other lenes that I am in serious lust over.

I use Lightroom 3 for all my editing and have PS on my computer but just dont know where to start to try to learn it….

I want to but get so lost and overwhelmed by it!

Lindsay @CookVeganLover September 22, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I really appreciate the photo posts that you have been doing lately. I am in the market for a new camera and I am trying to brush up on tips and techniques.
Lindsay @CookVeganLover recently posted..Slowly Getting Back…My Profile