mesquite chocolate chia seed muffins

by Lori and Michelle on October 14, 2011

happy Friday friends!

we all survived another week. and to end this week off with a bang we got a delicious chocolate muffin recipe for you today.

we enjoyed these muffins while traveling a few weeks ago and forgot to share the recipe with you all. just getting around to organize all our recipes.

we know many of you may not have mesquite flour on hand. nor know what it is exactly. and that is ok. promise if you give it a try you will fall in love with it. and we provide substitutions for it.

mesquite it is a ‘flour’ that we just love. we have been enjoying mesquite for over 3 years now. and we are sure you have seen us use it in many recipes here on the blog.

we love mesquite for so many reasons but just to name a few contains fiber, lysine (an amino acid), and good for those watching their sugar. Plus mesquite has a great sweet, smoky flavor to it. similar to carob in a way.

this recipe is not vegan but can be easily made vegan with either flax gel or chia gel, or even applesauce would be fine.

let muffins cool and then devour.

these muffins are a little on the delicate side so enjoy with care. they are light with a slight crumb.

nothing beats a Friday with chocolate muffins right?

didn’t thinks so

muffins are full of antioxidants, fiber, omega’s, and protein! now that is a feel good muffin!

where to get mesquite? most health food stores sell it but we buy it online you can read that here.

Twins Question: what do you do when you are feeling down? what are your favorite ways to cheer yourself up?

L&M

sophie October 14, 2011 at 8:20 am

Hi!
These look great :) When I am done the sugar-free applesauce mini bundt cakes (which I made into muffins), I will make these! Two questions, though.
1) How many muffins does this recipe yield?
2) How do you react to xylitol? I hear that some people have troubles digesting it.

Thanks! and Have a great weekend!

Lori and Michelle October 14, 2011 at 11:32 am

Sophie sorry about that I forgot to mention that final amount, I will add that in, thanks for the reminder! It makes about 8-9 muffins. We do fine with xylitol, but can’t have it in high doses. So for example if we ate these muffins we could not eat anything else in that same day that had xylitol in it. I hope that makes sense. HUGS

Ela October 14, 2011 at 9:23 am

Happy Friday and thanks for sharing this! I think mesquite and coconut flour are a wonderful combination.

It’s neat to see that you’ve gotten more friendly with xylitol! I hope you’re finding it works well for you.
If I can distract myself with something when I’m stressed, it helps me not to do more self-destructive things. Going for a walk/fresh air is always great. And I found this fluffy duster that’s really calming for me to touch!

Ela recently posted..FFF-Inspired Pumpkin-Carrot-Cake-BreadMy Profile

Anna @ On Anna's Plate October 14, 2011 at 9:54 am

I’ve never even HEARD of mesquite flour!! Interesting– I’ll be on the lookout!
Anna @ On Anna’s Plate recently posted..On Ryan’s Plate: Take This Mushroom and Stuff ItMy Profile

the delicate place October 14, 2011 at 10:07 am

oh wow! does mesquite flour have the same properties as coconut flour (i.e. drying everything out so you have to use oil/eggs)? i usually try to nourish my body with good foods since eating crappy makes me feel crappy emotionally and physically. i also try to set aside 20min to do yoga. usually i feel much better after a quiet session alone :) things that cost $ that cheer me up are spa treatments :)
the delicate place recently posted..inspiration cableknitMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 14, 2011 at 11:33 am

Melissa, no mesquite does not react that way like coconut flour does! well at least from our recipes testing.

Kristina @ spabettie October 14, 2011 at 10:16 am

listen to some GOOOOOOD music!! :) that can usually help if I am down. I also take a nice warm bath if I am able to, LOVE those…

I also love mesquite! I haven’t used it much lately, but I just added it to a cookie I made. love the smoky flavor. and these muffins look amazing – fluffy and (what’s a good word for moist!?) they would definitely lift my mood!

happy weekend, girls! XO
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..spicy cashew and kale bowlsMy Profile

Liz @ Southern Charm October 14, 2011 at 10:24 am

WOW!!! These look absolutely amazing. I will have to investigate/purchase this mesquite flour and make these asap. Thanks for sharing!
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..Flaws Are GorgeousMy Profile

katie @KatieDid October 14, 2011 at 11:12 am

mmmm I’m very intrigued by this mesquite flour. When I first read it I was thinking more like a mesquite barbeque flavor… but I didn’t doubt for a second that you ladies would be able to make a barbeque chocolate muffin taste delicious haha. This sounds a little more appealing to me though.

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan October 14, 2011 at 11:29 am

These look awesome! We actually just ordered some mesquite online and should be getting it soon. Can’t wait to experiment!
Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan recently posted..Hearty Guaca Kale Salad with ChickpeasMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 14, 2011 at 11:34 am

oh fun with it girls, I know you will love it!

Kinsey October 14, 2011 at 12:37 pm

mmmmm thank you so much for posting this recipe and using mesquite! After your brownies that you made using mesquite, you have inspired me to buy a bag. However the amount in the bag hasn’t budged much :/ I hope to make these and see more recipes with mesquite soon so I can get cookin’!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 14, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Those look great! I haven’t used mesquite in ages. I think I need to try it again!
Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga recently posted..Plug and GoMy Profile

Krissy October 14, 2011 at 1:05 pm

These pictures are making my mouth water – like all of your recipes seem to do to me :) I can’t wait to try this – I am always looking for ways to use my coconut flour!
Happy Friday Gorgeous Girls! Hope you are up to something fun this weekend! xo
Krissy recently posted..VLOG #2My Profile

carrie October 14, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I have only had mesquite in your choco/mesquite biscotti, and since i seem to be addicted to those i am going to make these muffins asap… well, as soon as i finish the applesauce bundt cakes i made last week, and the twincakes brownies i made this morning (i made them AFTER i finished breakfast, i swear :) When I’m feeling down, i tend to want to curl up alone on the couch. Or sometimes go for a run and listen to loud angry music… Unfortunately im so introverted i retreat further in my own head. I know i should seek out a friend and talk or take my mind off things – something I really need to work on. Would love to hear what works for you!

Lori and Michelle October 14, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Carrie I know we love our cocoa mesquite biscotti! :)

Lisa October 14, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I have mesquite…but I’ve never used it! Thanks for the idea :)
These look so good.
When I’m down, I usually try to exercise or go for a long walk and just breathe. Sometimes it doesn’t help, but sometimes it does!
Lisa recently posted..Working Out Smarter, Not Harder.My Profile

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 14, 2011 at 5:21 pm

If I’m down, I talk to Tony. He’s my best friend and always makes me smile! The muffins look and sound delicious!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Butternut Squash OIAJ!My Profile

lynn @ the actor's diet October 14, 2011 at 6:26 pm

never heard of mesquite before!!!

when i’m down i let myself wallow for a day. but then i pick myself up. usually a massage helps!
lynn @ the actor’s diet recently posted..The View from My iPhoneMy Profile

Laury @thefitnessdish October 14, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Wow. These have so many of my fav things! I really need to start using mesquite in my baking!!
Laury @thefitnessdish recently posted..Friday 5 Core ChallengeMy Profile

Ricki October 14, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I bought a bag of mesquite a while back and have been wondering what else I can do with it–this is perfect! I’m going to try the vegan version and will let you know. :)
Ricki recently posted..Wellness Weekend October 13-17, 2011My Profile

Kalie October 14, 2011 at 10:55 pm

WOW I wish I could try these!
Kalie recently posted..Happiest place on Earth here I come and Food surveyMy Profile

sophie October 15, 2011 at 5:55 am

i find that when i bake with coconut flour i get this odd, kind of sponge texture. sometimes it does not bother me and sometimes it does…would this recipe still work if i used say 1/4 cup of say…quinoa flour instead of the coconut?

Lori and Michelle October 15, 2011 at 7:09 am

Sophie yes I think that would be fine. Might just have to adjust milk, might need more like 1/2 cup and not 3/4 cup. again the batter should be slightly thick, not real runny.

Samantha October 15, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I like this recipe….and better yet…it is one my son can enjoy!!!!
Samantha recently posted..Healthy Halloween IdeasMy Profile

hihorosie October 15, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Hmm, I think i have some mesquite…will have to try making these soon!
hihorosie recently posted..Nature WalksMy Profile

sophie October 16, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Yeah…these were delicious :) Thanks for the great recipe!!!!!

Lori and Michelle October 16, 2011 at 12:49 pm

awesome ;) ur welcome!

Dominika November 15, 2011 at 6:10 am

Yum!! Do you think I can use carob instead of the cocoa?

Lori and Michelle November 15, 2011 at 8:25 am

yes Dominika carob would be fine ;)

liz December 13, 2011 at 6:10 pm

i will be trying this without the eggs, do you think flax or applesauce would be the best replacement?
thanks for such a unique recipe!
best,
liz

Lori and Michelle December 13, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Liz I think both would work, maybe give the flax a try first. Thanks :)