edited and unedited photos

by Lori and Michelle on October 9, 2011

hey friends,

today we wanted to show you 2 photos that are the same picture but one is just edited and one is not. to show you the difference.

we just recently started to really take the time and edit our photos! cause it can take a lot of time

when we first started blogging we never really did much with our photos. just clicked and upload a tiny photo to site. then we learned to put bigger pictures in the post. then we learned about editing photos to make them look even better.

now not everyone has to feel like they have to go out and get a nice fancy editing program or camera to be able to blog about food. that is not what we are saying. we blogged for over a year before we really wanted to get better at photography, especially food photography.

now photography is a fun hobby we like to do and share with others.

photo 1: unedited

this photo was taken in natural sunlight next to a window mid-morning on a cloudy day.

settings:  f/3.8, 1/100s, ISO 400

photo 2: edited

settings for this picture was taken with the same settings as the unedited picture.

as you can see with these two photos one we edited in Photoshop and the other one left unedited (it was what came off the camera). the one that is edited as you can see we were able to bring life back to the photo. we gave it a little more color, the color that the meal looked like in person. again there is nothing really wrong with the unedited photo but it might just look a little dull that is why we brought some color back to it.

in photoshop we do a lot of editing in the RAW before making it a jpeg. once a jpeg we decide if we like the editing enough to leave it or not. if not, then we edit the photo some more. there still is a lot in Photoshop for us to learn, we only know a few things.

do you edit your photos? do like editing? what program do you use? are you intimidated when it comes to taking and editing photos?

pure2raw twins

katie @KatieDid October 9, 2011 at 6:21 am

I purchased lightroom 3 last month and have been so happy with all that it can do. I knew photoshop would be intimidating and a little too much for my needs, so lightroom ended up being perfect. I don’t shoot in RAW, do you notice a huge difference in photo quality when you shoot in RAW verse jpeg?

Lori and Michelle October 9, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Katie, the main difference between RAW and jpeg is that you can do more editing in the RAW over jpeg. well at least in photoshop. I am not sure how lightroom works

Kristin @ STUFT Mama October 9, 2011 at 8:10 am

Oh man, I really need to start editing my photos. You do all your editing with photoshop? I only tried it once and could NOT figure it out so I gave up. Maybe it’s time to give it another shot. My photos could definitely use it.
Kristin @ STUFT Mama recently posted..Del’s Barber Shop and BJ’sMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 9, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Kristin, with photoshop it is baby steps for us! still have a lot to learn!

Andrea October 9, 2011 at 10:28 am

I love taking photos of food but I really need work with the editing part. The screen on my canonG10 shows the pics with way more contrast then they actually have once downloaded. love your photos!
Andrea recently posted..Carrot Cake Cookies!My Profile

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 9, 2011 at 11:27 am

“just clicked and upload a tiny photo to site. then we learned to put bigger pictures in the post. then we learned about editing photos to make them look even better.” <— THAT is my exact progression, too.

I edit ALL pics in Lightroom 3. Almost everything i shoot gets a bump up in brightness and exposure. As well as clarity or sharpening. Just those couple tweaks can make a huge difference. But yes, editing takes TIME!

And I shoot in all RAW, too. I started doing that about 5-6 mos ago when i realized that since I was editing everything anyway, I may as well :)
Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga recently posted..Money TreeMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 9, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Averie it is crazy to think how far we all have come isn’t haha and oh yes those few changes make a world of a difference!

Brittany October 9, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I recently started editing my photos as well. It helps a lot because I don’t have much (really any) natural light in my house so when I take photos inside they HAVE to be edited.

I’d love to know what options in photoshop you used to edit the photo above.
Brittany recently posted..Chocolate Chunk Pumpkin Bars – A Healthy TreatMy Profile

Ela October 9, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I am _totally_ intimidated by the whole photography side of blogging! My internet connection and computer are on the slow side too, so I tend just to put up tiny pictures and hope that people will forgive me when they’re not stellar.

Your pictures really are fantastic–interesting how editing it makes it look more like real life than the actual picture does…
Ela recently posted..Taking The Breakfast ChallengeMy Profile

Liz @ iheartvegetables October 9, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I’m so jealous of people with awesome photography and photo editing skills. I basically hope for the best ;) I’m getting a little better with some basic software but I have a long way to go! and sometimes, the things I want to take a picture of… I can’t fit in a light box ;)
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..Friday FundayMy Profile

Lou October 9, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I haven’t edited any photos yet – I’m pretty new to all of this! Already though, I have become inspired by the likes of such bloggers as you lovely ladies, and want to learn more about taking beautiful photos. When you put time and effort into cooking something delicious, you kind of want to do it justice by making it look amazing to those who can’t taste it! Great post, I’m inspired :)
Lou recently posted..confessions from the floorMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 10, 2011 at 4:47 am

thank you so much Lou!!

Lisa October 10, 2011 at 3:53 am

I definitely need to place more attention on photography—and I want to…I just don’t seem to take the time. I do edit my photos though—I use Aperture, and usually just do a few brightening adjustments and maybe increase the black point. I feel like I need to take a class!
Lisa recently posted..Ugi Ball ReviewMy Profile

Callie {rawxy} October 10, 2011 at 3:53 pm

This is the story of my life – photos unedited vs. edited. I too, always shoot in RAW – however, as of late, I’ve been doing a lot of my editing post RAW with mask and filters. Masking allows me to be really selective in the placement of the enhancements I make – and, gradients within masking has also helped with my recent lighting situations. Ahh, I love photoshop :)
Callie {rawxy} recently posted..Gluten-Free Leftover Pizza PieMy Profile

Lauren October 11, 2011 at 10:42 am

I’m so lazy, I just upload my photos right from my camera! :) editing pays off though, your pics are always so nice!
Lauren recently posted..Apple/Pumpkin Picking and Weekend FunMy Profile