ginger pumpkin kefir cocktail

by Lori and Michelle on October 21, 2011

ginger pumpkin smoothie made with kefir

ever wonder what fall would taste like in a cup?

well here is you chance!

we have seen so many fall inspired smoothies out there that we wanted to share a version we have been enjoying lately

This recipe contains some of our favorite fall inspired ingredients:

• pumpkin
  • ginger
  • yacon syrup

freshginger

yaconsyrup

yacon syrup is great sweetener. we just love it and use it a lot, especially when we want to add some spice and depth to our recipes.

what-it-is-yacon-syrup

here are some more ways to enjoy yacon syrup: avocado puddings, pumpkin puddings, spiced ginger macaroons, pumpkin socca, and great to drizzle on pancakes.

yacon syrup we use the most is a thick syrup – similar to molasses!

yacon-syrup

we think you would agree this is fall in a cup

fall-pumpkin-smoothie

this kefir cocktail is creamy and delicious. if you have not had kefir before promise this drink will make you love it.

Twins Question: What is your favorite fall memory? do you go apple picking? do you like picking out your pumpkin? carving pumpkins? candy? being with family?

pure2raw twins

Anna @ On Anna's Plate October 21, 2011 at 6:15 am

Yum– love the flavors here and the beautiful vibrant color too!!
Anna @ On Anna’s Plate recently posted..On Ryan’s Plate: Bacon Veggie BurgersMy Profile

katie @KatieDid October 21, 2011 at 6:45 am

I miss fall time living with my family. We would always do all the cliche fall activities, but I mostly miss just raking huge piles of leaves in my yard with my brother and bagging them up, jumping in them, and just being in the cool outdoors.
I lovee kefir, its tangy flavor is my favorite.

Lori and Michelle October 21, 2011 at 6:52 am

We love kefir too! be on a big kick of it lately

Eden October 21, 2011 at 7:11 am

Frankly, I’m so tired of he pumpkin obsession. It tastes great and all, but its nothing new. Cinderella used it to get around and food bloggers love it.
I also don’t know what fall is cause LA doesn’t have season. We have “72 and sunny” all year round.

On a more positive note, Kefir is “kool” in my book. ;)
Eden recently posted..Apple Banana Snickerdoodles and Why I Shouldn’t Be A Food CriticMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 21, 2011 at 12:19 pm

haha ya we are from FL so having seasons is weird for us now, I guess that is why we are obsessed with everything fall ;)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) October 21, 2011 at 8:28 am

goat kefir is delicious! great looking smoothie :)
Felicia (Natural + Balanced) recently posted..Miniature GoatsMy Profile

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 21, 2011 at 8:32 am

Wow! I need this now! Beautiful and delicious! I need to get some yacon syrup. It sounds amazing!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Life Changes and Being Me!My Profile

Lisa October 21, 2011 at 8:36 am

What a great idea!
I love apple picking and pumpkin stuff…well, not crazy about carving pumpkins but I like the seeds!
Lisa recently posted..KISS my Brussels Sprouts (and Halloween Planning)My Profile

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan October 21, 2011 at 8:58 am

We love kefir! although we haven’t had it in a long time. One probiotic item I neeeeed to always have in my fridge is raw sauerkraut. How did I survive without it??!
Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan recently posted..Green Chocolate MonkeyMy Profile

Ela October 21, 2011 at 9:39 am

I love kefir–the kefir that I make with coconut cream, and strain it, is more like a thick sour cream, but I use the whey too. It’s awesome. I made a pumpkin smoothie this week too–also featuring ginger–should probably share it. I’m still not sure about pumpkin and my tummy, though, although it doesn’t make sense to me why it should hurt.

I love yacon syrup but it is so darn expensive! I wish it was a bit more affordable…
My favorite thing in fall was persimmons back when I lived in CA–harvesting them, eating them, making pies with them, sharing them…
Ela recently posted..Reorganization–of Bluff and HomeMy Profile

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 21, 2011 at 12:54 pm

what a great idea…love the kefir you used and the fresh ginger. I bet this had the perfect pop to it…the pics are gorgeous. I want to slurp this one up :)
Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga recently posted..Caramel Pumpkin Whip DipMy Profile

Erica October 21, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Yum! Where did you dind the yacon?
Erica recently posted..Doctored Butternut Squash SoupMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Erica yacon syrup is sold in most health food stores, it is a little pricey unfortunately :( but we sometimes also buy it offline like on amazon or something. sometimes there it is a little cheaper that way.

The Delicate Place October 21, 2011 at 4:23 pm

drool. this looks so so tasty! i love going apple picking! when i was younger we would carve pumpkins together and head out to get candy (it is my birthday so i’d get 2x the goodies :)
The Delicate Place recently posted..these boots were made for walkingMy Profile

Lauren October 21, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Yum, fall in a glass? Sign. Me. Up!
Lauren recently posted..Eating for the weekend..My Profile

Samantha October 21, 2011 at 7:26 pm

wow, kefir and pumpkin??? Interesting!!!
Samantha recently posted..Kelapo Review and Homemade Apple Pie!!My Profile

emma October 21, 2011 at 7:53 pm

This looks so good! I love recipes with pumpkin, makes me feel very “fall”- love that! : )
emma recently posted..New juice recipe to start your day off right!My Profile

hihorosie October 21, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Ooh! Sounds great! Love the color. Wonder how coconut nectar would be in place of yacon? I don’t have any…
hihorosie recently posted..Winner: Tropical Traditions shredded coconutMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 23, 2011 at 6:48 am

Heidi – coconut nectar would work too for the yacon syrup

vivi October 22, 2011 at 4:56 am

Delicious!!!! I’m making it 2day! Is the pure raw
shredded or cooked pumpkin first?
Great idea! Thanks!

Lori and Michelle October 23, 2011 at 6:48 am

Vivi we used cooked canned pumpkin, but you could use whatever pumpkin you would like.

Emma October 22, 2011 at 10:58 am

This just looks wonderful! I really need to start using pumpkin in smoothies. I’ve seen pumpkin shakes all over the blogosphere and have yet to give them a go! Xx

Abby October 22, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I love your blog! Thanks for posting such different and fabulous recipes! I’ve linked you to my blog. I’m new on the block. Have a great weekend!!
Abby recently posted..My Chicken StripsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 23, 2011 at 6:49 am

Thank you Abby! welcome to blogging ;)

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete October 22, 2011 at 4:25 pm

THis looks absolutely beautiful and refreshing. I haven’t tried yacon syrup, but now I want to!
Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete recently posted..Portland Marathon 2011 RecapMy Profile

darian @ living and loving to sweat October 22, 2011 at 5:15 pm

This smoothie looks so creamy and delicious! I can’t wait to try it. My favorite fall memories are or playing in the leaf piles with my brother and trick-or-treating with all of my friends on Halloween.
darian @ living and loving to sweat recently posted..Constructing a Highly Effective and Efficient WorkoutMy Profile

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com November 10, 2011 at 10:34 pm

It looks so good and healthy! Can I use agave syrup instead of yacon?

Lori and Michelle November 11, 2011 at 6:31 am